PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat fixed about 3 faults

Jmac
01-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah i have been looking at an A4 for a guy and has been erratic gear changing , not as smooth as it should be ( said vehicle is 1.8T) and engine not as smooth. Cleaned throttle body of carbon and reset the values. Run to op temp and reset basic settings. All seemed good. Ran vehicle for a couple of days and came back with gearbox having to "think again" as they do but more pronounced. Roadtested and found the temp gauge sitting lower than normal. Temp swith is good as it read the same as the gauge. Suspected a lazy Stat. Replace the stat and bled and hey all fixed!!!!! Simple fix and a much forgotten about little gadget. This thing does a lot of work and was 7 years old. Now the gauge is at 90 quickly and the engine is smooth as, so suggested an oil change incase of fuel in sump. These systems are very temperature sensitive and is a good thing to consider when you have an engine doing weird things and you have been through the usual switch replacement.
Cheers

Tulyar
01-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Thanks Jimmy.

Always really value these fascinating and helpful posts.

Great reminder to us all not to forget the basics.

Jmac
01-01-2008, 04:33 PM
100% correct mate and i try to enforce that on here you will probably notice i make mention of scanners, i wouldnt be without it but dont rely on it!! Basics first.
How many times does all the time spent in the world come down to a basic fault. We have all been there.
Cheers;)

ValveBounce
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Your in a different car trade to me Jimmymac (im a Panel 'Beater' hehehe), but occasionaly we come accross faults when a car doesnt run properly, and usualy its something thats been overlooked (we pull a lot of your car apart for even minor dings) so its back to basics. Otherwise we send it to the auto electrician hahaha