PDA

View Full Version : Tempted by Touareg

harks11
01-01-2008, 02:27 PM
I am in the research stage for my next 4WD, Can I ask a few questions of the group

After five Pajero's I am pretty comfortable that they do a good job. However, tow wise they are still a little light on, so what are the alternatives. By and far the best is the Cruiser, however, its big, expensive and as a city car as well, I think it struggles. Ther are some others but ...no.

Enter the Touareg, It seems like it has got everything but there is still a lingering doubt.

How does it handle the occasional trip into remote area? What if it breaks down, will I get support. What are the service charges with an "exotic" car like this. What are the service intervals on the V6 TD.

Or should I chicken and go for another Pajero. I would welcome some feedback please

Jmac
01-01-2008, 04:40 PM
When you consider what this vehicle is up against ( Porsche cayenne and Q7) all same platform derived from the Treg. I personally love the thing and when they get a bit cheaper i would seriously be thinking about it. I have VW in the blood for 15 years but really an awesome vehicle. Engines are strong and Gearbox transfer boxes had issues early in the piece with trans casings and ecu but hey VW got on top of that rapid style. As for the box itself very strong. Man if you get the chance try a run in a V10 diesel OMG!!!!! Torque of the devil mate!!!! 710 NM at 1500rpm!!!! Whopping mate and it would climb Everest.
Just on that i dont have an issue with Pajero - Great for the money too so i dont envy your choice mate:rolleyes:

phaeton
01-01-2008, 06:06 PM
I am in the research stage for my next 4WD, Can I ask a few questions of the group

After five Pajero's I am pretty comfortable that they do a good job. However, tow wise they are still a little light on, so what are the alternatives. By and far the best is the Cruiser, however, its big, expensive and as a city car as well, I think it struggles. Ther are some others but ...no.

Enter the Touareg, It seems like it has got everything but there is still a lingering doubt.

How does it handle the occasional trip into remote area? What if it breaks down, will I get support. What are the service charges with an "exotic" car like this. What are the service intervals on the V6 TD.

Or should I chicken and go for another Pajero. I would welcome some feedback please

Harks welcome to VWwA mate :D

Go here http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f67/ for more Touareg owners with answers j:

Golf Houso
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
I knew someone who 4X4'd once a fortnight and who was seriously contemplating getting one. The only reason why they chose against buying one was the apparent lack of interior space, since they had 4 kids. Whether this was because they were looking at 5 seater models or not, I don't know, but these people were real hardcore 4X4 fanatics and swore by the fact that the car was fantastic off-road.

The ended up getting a 7 seat land rover by the way...

vinderliker
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
According to the latest Wheels mag, the next model will be bigger inside and lighter in weight. The question that I have is can you put on real 4x4 tyres, like Cooper and BF Goodrich, and then add some accessories needed for serious off roading, from the 4x4 shops(I have gone blank on their names(:.

bobzed57
02-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Hey vinderliker.

I have a 2005 model R5 Lux and it's more than capable off road. With a few mods like 50mm lift and an extra battery, they'll go most places the real 4WDs will. I run Cooper ATRs on mine, and I know other Treggers who run BFGs and Michelin Scorpions, so they'll take off road tyres easily.

There have been a few reliability issues with the original Treg, most of which should be sorted in the face lift model.

Up sides are; it's a fantastic cruiser and you'll get to where you want to go in comfort, great entry and departure angles, excellent turning circle for those tight spots in the bush, excellent fuel economy in the diesels (I've averaged 10.2 l/100km since I've owned mine, which includes towing) and plenty of whistles and bells.

Down sides are; when you're out in the boonies, you're a long way from VW assist if something goes wrong, space saver spare wheel (you can go the unattractive VW option or buy a real spare and fling it on the roof racks when needed), not quite enough clearance underneath and it's smaller than the competitors, so it's really only a 4 seater if you're going on a trip.

As phaeton said above, check out his link, you'll see plenty of posts from Oz Treggers, including a few with the new facelift V6TDI. One of the regular contributers sold his R5 and bought a Pajero, so they can't be too bad.

Here's a link to some photos of me out and about in mine - http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/bobzed57/

Cheers

Bob Z

vinderliker
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Cool, but if I do win lotto, at this stage I'll have to purchase nearly all the VW range an Octavia RS and an Audi or two:). But I have had a hankering to hit the real bush for ages. Living in Canberra with it all around I really prefer the mountains to the beach, must be that Swabian, Bavarian blood coming through, although I am not a fan of the snow! Yeah I reckon the V6 TDI wouldbe the go. Just for fun the other night I printed out the options and price list.

Flipper Dog
02-01-2008, 02:48 PM
While having a look around for my latest vehicle, of which is a new facelift V6 TDI Touareg, I also looked towards the other models getting around. I wanted something comfortable to drive every day, not too huge, economical, room for 4 plus a dog, capable to tow and able to go off road.
I had a few Land Rover Discoverys prior so that was my benchmark for what the vehicle had to achieve.
I have a couple of 100 series Land Cruisers, Nissan Patrols, a base model Pajero and a Land Rover Defender to play with at work, all great off road but not for my every day driving. A bit Spartan for my likes (plastic and cloth no thanks I am more the leather and wood person now). Ever the tarted up models still reek of no frills.
The BMW X5 is rubbish off road (no low range), Volvo great for trips to Ikea but no low range also, so that left me with Discovery 3 TDV6, Range Rover Sports V6 and Mercedes Benz M280/M320 for the price I wanted to pay, between $80,000 to $100,000 on road.
The Rovers are too thirsty no matter what engine choice you get, I still can not accept the Discovery 3 styling and the Range Rover Sport, nice that it is, is still not the real thing as far as Range Rover goes (IMHO).
The Benz was the only real option against the Touareg but in the end of the day the Volkswagen won it in value for money. Just like a Jetta against a C Class Benz same class of car but half the price.

Now if I was towing a van all around Australia the only choice would be Land Cruiser, heaps of after market goodies and service support anywhere.

Flipper Dog

harks11
02-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Very informative discussion.Thanks. There is no doubt we are spoiled for choice these days. I also had a look at the service costs. A very good resource site is http://carservice.com.au/ServiceCost.aspx. The Touareg is one of the cheaper vehicles to service. Now that was a surprise. I think was of the attractions is alos the long distance cruising reputation of the VW. I have a very good relationship with the Newel hwy.

dmm_au
03-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Like you I've been researching the same vehicle, the TD V6, and am now awaiting delivery (expected March).

The Pajero was my second choice, the two issues that let it down, was that I liked the aesthetics of the 2 door short wheel base and leather was not an option on the more off road featured model.

The Touareg and Pajero both promise a good on-road performance, and better than average off road.

I ruled out anything that didn't have low range as a tall car.
The Touareg with steel springs, has greater ground clearance than the Paj, and I've seen a new Pajero go across what I anticipate will be the equal of any weekend adventures in my future.

I think your concerns about service and support in remote areas is valid, and if you were really buying a car for that sort of thing, the advice I think you'd get is to keep the electronics to a minimum. That's getting pretty hard to do with new vehicles. For online forums, I feel pretty confident that the 2005+ models are much more reliable, and the horror stories that let the brand down were from the brave souls who pioneered the Touareg. I've ordered the T2, and will get the slightly re-spec'd engine (550Nm Torque).

There aren't many accessories available for the Treg.
One of the reasons I'm waiting on a factory delivery, is I ordered the full size spare wheel. I think that's worth waiting for, especially since we intend to go off road. You can get roof racks, but there is no 'roo' bar. Mounting driving lights is therefore tricky, but there are solutions.

Really what the Touareg represented was a really good compromise of safety and comfort on-road, and freedom and flexibility for off-road adventures. For city dwellers like myself, any 'off-roading' is always accompanied by substantial on-road to get there and back.

The Pajero may be a better choice for you, Japanese reliability, lower price, but I'm pretty confident the T2 was the best choice for me.

Moonan
05-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Buy the Touareg. You won't regret moving up a class of vehicle - I have the base poverty pack model '05 with the R5 engine. I won't go back to a Japanese car. You will be driving the "thinking man's 4wd".. I still smile every time I get in mine. I have had 8 of my own 4wd's (continuously since my first 2-stroke suzuki in 1981) and more as company vehicles. I will buy another one.

Sunshineviking
07-01-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi There Bobzed57

New to the Forum - Just wondering what a DP chip is?

Just got the same vehicle as yourself.. Looks from the photos like you guys et out and about some in yours! I'm hoping to get out in the Autumn to do some exploring and Camping inland from the Sunshine Coast or perhaps on the Darling downs. Any Tips you'd care to share on taking the Touareg into the rough stuff. I have the rear wheel carrier on mine, but I'll be looking to get a roof tray or pod before we head off. Is a winch a must? looks like you just used a snap strap on that rescue?

any hints gratefully received

viking

bobzed57
07-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey viking

Welcome. Check a few of the other Treg forums, there's plenty of info about on their performance off road. I'm very happy with my Treg's ability off-road although it could use a bit more clearance.

I don't think a winch is necessary and it would be a bugger to fit. I did see a winch used in Cayenne rally that was slung from the two recovery hooks at the front. I think you'd have to be desperate though.The video you saw of my recovery was in my early days, on half-worn original tyres and me a bit out of my depth. We used the tow hook supplied in the boot, but I have since upgraded my recovery options. I now try to avoid getting stuck.

The DPCHIP is a chip that intercepts calls from the ECU on their way to the engine. They claim the R5 is about the best engine for the chip making some 155kw at 450nm at its max setting. I run mine at the middle setting which gives a good balance between performance and economy. I'd never be without it now. Check http://www.dpchip.com.au/ and ask for Andrew. Great bloke and very knowledgeable on diesel engines. He's at Berrima in NSW, but there are agents for the chip in other states.

Cheers

Bob Z

Sunshineviking
08-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks Bob - I'll look into it - Any idea if it voids the VW warranty? or can it be taken off easily for service work...

bobzed57
08-01-2008, 06:58 PM
DPChip warrant the drive train when you have one fitted.

I usually remove mine, it's easy peasy, just a couple of small screws. I have had the vehicle in their shop for work with the chip fitted and no one said anything. My dealer has been very good and most of the guys are happy to see me use it as a real 4wd.

Cheers

Sunshineviking
09-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Thanks Bob - Going to check with the dealer if mine's had the recall work done yet. I'll get that done and the 15k service them probably get it chipped.

cheers again and happy motoring j:

barefoot
11-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Just got the same vehicle as yourself.. Looks from the photos like you guys et out and about some in yours! I'm hoping to get out in the Autumn to do some exploring and Camping inland from the Sunshine Coast or perhaps on the Darling downs. Any Tips you'd care to share on taking the Touareg into the rough stuff. I have the rear wheel carrier on mine, but I'll be looking to get a roof tray or pod before we head off. Is a winch a must? looks like you just used a snap strap on that rescue?

Sunshineviking, the back of Kenilworth has some terrific tracks complete with a couple of water crossing, though at the moment it might be over the 500mm wading depth of the touareg. But to see the treg really shine go to one of the islands.

Re' winch, I reckon a set of maxtrax would be a safer option, see here:
http://www.maxtrax.com.au

My only other rule of thumb is stay home if it's wet, the road tyres aren't much good in mud (even with all the traction aids), sliding back down a hill can have consequences ........
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=GeYmDOzoibk

btw, we've just got back from sunny coast, and I did see a greenish grey t'reg with spare wheel carrier, I did the statutory wave (mine's a Colorado red), and at the time would have had a surfboard on top.
Cheers
Cheers

dmm_au
11-01-2008, 08:59 AM
My only other rule of thumb is stay home if it's wet, the road tyres aren't much good in mud (even with all the traction aids), sliding back down a hill can have consequences ........

That is a terrifying video, if only because the guy doesn't look like he's doing anything risky, and it just happens so gently and quickly.

I do wonder if the Touareg, being lower and wider than many 4wds, might have performed any differently in the same situation.

barefoot
11-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I would say the touareg would fare better having a much lighter rear end, wider track and probably balanced weight distribution than a pajero.
Cheers

Sunshineviking
12-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Sunshineviking, the back of Kenilworth has some terrific tracks complete with a couple of water crossing, though at the moment it might be over the 500mm wading depth of the touareg. But to see the treg really shine go to one of the islands.

Re' winch, I reckon a set of maxtrax would be a safer option, see here:
http://www.maxtrax.com.au

btw, we've just got back from sunny coast, and I did see a greenish grey t'reg with spare wheel carrier, I did the statutory wave (mine's a Colorado red), and at the time would have had a surfboard on top.
Cheers
Cheers

Thanks for that -

I think I do remember a red Touareg waving to us as we returned from Noosa the other day. Apologies If I didn't wave back - the kids were probably havinga wobbly in the back. I've been pleased to notice the camaraderie between owners!j:

We have already beem out to K'worth but as you say the damp weather put us off heading too far off the beaten track this time - Also I'm looking at getting some more suitable tyres. Any Suggestions ? I've heard good and bad about cooper ATR's...but they are guaranteed...

Any time you intend to head this way for a weekend drive/camp give me a shout on here and we'll try and catch up.

All the best

viking

geoff7
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Sorry I did not see this thread earlier.. have been busy.
http://i11.tinypic.com/6cn1e2g.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/2lcwbrb.jpg

This is in rural NT with standard tyres, you will not be disappointed imho.

phaeton
13-01-2008, 10:32 AM
Sorry I did not see this thread earlier.. have been busy.
http://i11.tinypic.com/6cn1e2g.jpg
http://i5.tinypic.com/2lcwbrb.jpg

This is in rural NT with standard tyres, you will not be disappointed imho.

So pretty :o I love a dirty Touareg :D (say in Tweetie voice ;))

barefoot
13-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for that -

I think I do remember a red Touareg waving to us as we returned from Noosa the other day. Apologies If I didn't wave back - the kids were probably havinga wobbly in the back. I've been pleased to notice the camaraderie between owners!j:

We have already beem out to K'worth but as you say the damp weather put us off heading too far off the beaten track this time - Also I'm looking at getting some more suitable tyres. Any Suggestions ? I've heard good and bad about cooper ATR's...but they are guaranteed...

Any time you intend to head this way for a weekend drive/camp give me a shout on here and we'll try and catch up.

All the best

viking

I've resisted going to Cooper ATR thus far mainly because I don't venture off-road all that often, and also they don't come in 255/60R17.

Will PM you next time I'm heading for a play up your way.
Cheers

dmm_au
14-01-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm planning on getting the Cooper ATRs. They don't come in 255/60R17, but they do come in 235/65R17 104T (739mm) which is almost exactly the same diameter, and therefore will show on you speedo as 0.1% too slow. VW and Mercedes both 'support' this size.

I'm attracted by the guarantee of 50K as I read stories about rapid tyre wear on the Touareg. The catch is you need to let a Coopers examine them every 10K, not sure if there would be expense involved (ie tyre alignment)

Sunshineviking
14-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Just been reading up on the Coopers - some horror stories out there - but I think some of these guys are doing serious offroad stuff with them.

I'll be doing a bit more research before I buy - I'll post the results on here

cheerio

OilBurna
14-01-2008, 12:08 PM
if you want more general 4wd info and on tyres etc this is a handy forum, get some more treg owners on there.

http://www.4wdmonthly.com.au/forum/

Mischa
14-01-2008, 12:30 PM
re warranty with a chip:
the ecu can record fuel and other pressures when a fault is thrown and it is easy to tell if a chip has been fitted to the car, even if its removed before going to the workshop. just thought id mention that :rolleyes:

bobzed57
14-01-2008, 04:39 PM
I've got Cooper ATRs on my Treg, and other than a bit more road noise that the OEM Olympics, they've been very good and long wearing. I've got nearly 30k on them and there still seems to be plenty of meat to the wear indicator. I do have a spare wheel to share the wear and I also rotate them every 10k.

They were on the car on run I did to Cameron Corner and the performed very well. I've also done a little harder stuff in the Brindabella Mountains. I'm pretty happy with them.

Other Treggers run Pirellis and BFGs and seem to be happy with their choice.

Cheers

Bob

Sunshineviking
17-01-2008, 10:24 AM
I've got Cooper ATRs on my Treg, and other than a bit more road noise that the OEM Olympics, they've been very good and long wearing. I've got nearly 30k on them and there still seems to be plenty of meat to the wear indicator. I do have a spare wheel to share the wear and I also rotate them every 10k.

They were on the car on run I did to Cameron Corner and the performed very well. I've also done a little harder stuff in the Brindabella Mountains. I'm pretty happy with them.

Other Treggers run Pirellis and BFGs and seem to be happy with their choice.

Cheers

Bob

Thanks Bob - looks like they'll be ok fro what i'll be doing then.

The car has Goodyears on it now. I have about 15k left on my rears and 5-10 on my fronts so I'll get them rotated and a 4 wheel alignment done this weekend. I won't be heading off the beaten track until the weather dries out a bit up here so I'll be ok for now - Might head up to Fraser Island for the Aussie day weekend to try the sand and hopefully not need to use my new maxtrax.

All the best

viking

Mischa
17-01-2008, 10:29 AM
just a Q... why dont you treg blokes pick up a cheap set of indestructible steelies and fit your offroad tyres to them and keep the road tyres on the nice alloys? then dimensions wouldnt matter so much would they?

Transporter
17-01-2008, 12:19 PM
just a Q... why dont you treg blokes pick up a cheap set of indestructible steelies and fit your offroad tyres to them and keep the road tyres on the nice alloys? then dimensions wouldnt matter so much would they?

The steelies? Cheap, where from?

Mischa
17-01-2008, 12:52 PM
The steelies? Cheap, where from?

lol well i guess "cheap" is relative. i dont know what hte stud pattern is of the treg but im guessing 5x130 or something... but you could pick up a set from some fullysik on ebay who has ditched his steelies for some 250" chromies? or is it some stupidly unique stud pattern where nothing is available? even so you'd think that the money saved from not having to replace short lived and knobbly tyres plus the bonus of being able to get more serious offroad tyres would outweigh the cost of buying the steelies in the first place...

dmm_au
18-01-2008, 12:00 PM
The pattern is different between the Touareg R5 and the new TD V6.
I'm pretty sure you can get a 16" rim for the R5, it may be the same as the VW transporter, and that would give you a much bigger choice of off road tyres. I think for the V6, it's much harder.

Check the forums.

ozvino
26-01-2008, 06:47 PM
the problem isnt the stud pattern (yes, they are transporter hubs), the issue is the size of the discs and the fat calipers

Thats why we cant fit el cheapo wheels to our R5 Touaregs. The only option is custom made steel wheels, its not financially viable

Dave