PDA

View Full Version : Help! My engine is fddddd!!!

Pete Mk1
31-12-2007, 07:39 PM
Please can anyone help??
Recently finished putting together my engine for my MK 1 Tarmac Rally Car. I should say my so called mechanic did. Basically what i had put together was a 2.0L bottom end from a 95 Mk3 combined with 1.8L head.

This head is a ported GTI head with Techtonics cam,twin 45 Webbers etc.
The 2.0L bottom end had new mains,hone and new rings (previously had about 110,000km's)

After the engine was tuned on dyno i finally went to pick up my car which seemed to be running well,sounding fantastic and on first impressions of driving it home, plenty of power and oodles of torque. My mechanic said that it was making 101hp at the wheels which in my book was fairly good for a light weight MK1.

Any way took car home and put in garage.
2 days later decided to take the golf out for its first run prior to competition.
Low and behold i only managed 60km before losing oil pressure. F%%&*
I got the mechanic to pick up car and diagnose.
When i arrived at work shop next day the engine was out and being disected!!

It turned out that the crankshaft had been ground away on the journals, not the bearing shells as you would expect, and whats more there was a piece of metal stuck on oil pump relief valve!! Major scoring throughout the engine.

End result the engine is totally stuffed.

Cost wise it is too expensive too rebuild so maybe start with another engine altogether.
Don't reailly know the answer so if anyone can help with any info on this mod i would really really appreciate help with my dilemma.

How this or why this happened is a mystery to me and apparently to my mechanic also.

Has anyone experienced malfunctions or any problems in fitting 1.8 head to 2.0L bottom end???

If so what and why???

Does anyone know if there are inherent problems in carrying out this modification???

Are there any oil pressure,flow problems associated with the fitting
1.8 head to 2.0l bottom????

Your help would be majorly appreciated.
Thanks
Pete Mk1
PS
Happy New Year

h100vw
31-12-2007, 10:18 PM
I built up a 2 litre MK1 1800 GTI a while ago. No problems with the head on the 2 litre bottom end at all. Only thing to be aware of is getting the head gasket the right way up, which would be hard to get wrong as it is marked.

The 2 litre oil pump is fine to run with the solid head, it flows more oil than you need.

Just curious do you have proper oil cooler fitted?

Was the loss of oil pressure sudden?

Gavin

Pete Mk1
01-01-2008, 07:52 AM
Thanks for reply Gavin,
No i dont believe there was any oilcooler,does this affect oil temps greatly?
Oil pressure loss was sudden as previously running from 90psi cold to a steady 60psi hot.
Although after parking the car overnight,upon starting oil pressure was around 100psi but subsequently went to 0psi. This could have been due to finding a foreign object wedged in oil pressure relief valve???
One concern was that when you fit the 1.8 head it doesn't have the same small recess cut out beside the bolt hole that is oil flow path. The 2.0L head had such a recess,i was wondering if this an area of concern???
Cheers Pete

Golf Loon
01-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Send us a pic of the bottom of the head and the top of the block Pete.

I know of a few cars running round with this engine with no dilemmas and hve done the conversion a few times.

Sounds like the engine builder stuffed up somewhere along the line. IMO.

Pete Mk1
01-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the reply,will get photos as soon as i get past his workshop.
I am tending to think that if this area is not a problem then it must have got a foreign bit of metal during assembly. Definitely not good. Just a little bit pisssssssssd off.

Jarred
01-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Just out curiousity, What are the advantages of having the 1.8 is it just to up the compression?

Is there anyway you can just source a new block pete? and just pop the top end back on? The only problem is that you'll loos the parts in the bottom end, but maybe they were the problem when you put the 1.8 head on?

I'm not heaps sure, just thinkin out loud.. :???:

Pete Mk1
01-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Thanks for your reply. Another block is no problem, Golf Loon helped me out there. As far as i have learned,the 1.8 head is superior in port shape and flow capabilities compared to using the 2.0 8v head. I am after max horsepower while being cost effective as i can.
Have found many mentions of it being used in England via www.clubgti.com/forum. All reports are good.

Golf Loon
01-01-2008, 01:43 PM
The block I just sent down has the oilcooler on it. I`d use that too.

Hope it works out Pete.

Water Boy
02-01-2008, 11:40 AM
Pete can i ask who built up this motor? Also if u need some help screwing a motor togther PM me...

BTW is your Mk1 a white 4 door that i have seen at PVWC?

Cheers James

gotrice
02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Mate I scewed together my MK3 2L in my dirty shed in a pair of things and it screams and pulles like a train. No idea how/where yours could have gone wrong. Also if you want mine it is for sale. It has just on 10,000 ks on it now and I am pulling it out to put in a 16v 2L.

Pete Mk1
02-01-2008, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys for the response,much appreciated.
Firstly James, yes that is my missing golf you have seen. I have only seen it twice in the last year, as far as driving it that is,the rest of the time it has been in someones workshop. Need i say more??
Will forward message to you and Gotrice shortly.

Water Boy
02-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Ok edited my origonal sent u a PM and hope it gets better in the future ;)