PDA

View Full Version : Question for guys running Koni yellows on their MK3

sukebe
30-12-2007, 11:35 AM
So, do you use the upper or lower rear strut spring seat? I have read that I should use the lower one to have an equal drop as the fronts, but my exhaust knocks on the axle (badly) on the lower seat. Ive got them on the upper one now, exhaust only knocks on big bumps, but the car seems to dive onto the nose and understeer more in hard cornering. Should I:

1. Leave it (free, no effort)
2. Drop it and put up with the exhaust knocking (free, some effort, annoying),
3. Drop it, and get a new pipe done by a different muffler place to join the rear and suitcase (best choice, but prolly cost a couple hunge)

Also, what damper setting are you using? Ive got my rears set at about 3/4 turn down from hardest, and fronts about 1 1/2 turns from hardest (2 turns total on both front and rear). I made the fronts softer to try and dial out some understeer. My car handled heaps better with konis only in the rear, and knackered KYBs in the front. I thought that putting the yellows in the front would have improved handling, but I don't think it has :???: How should I set them up? Car is a VR6 with Eibach springs.

Tim
30-12-2007, 11:51 AM
cant say i have any experience with the konis on a mk3 but they are known to be stiffer than a lot of other brands arent they?

If u stiffen the front without changing the rear it will dial in more understeer.
Is your rear swaybar adjustable? If so maybe stiffen that up a bit. Or back the konis off in the front a bit more. Also what tyre pressures are u running up front? I found that if theyre a bit high on the front of my car the steering feel is lot sharper but the turn in is crap.

What u will normally gain by going to a decent damper is better control over bumps. So its not all about how stiff youre running it.

Water Boy
30-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Mate get your exhuast fixxed... More noise and a better stance :D

rayray086
30-12-2007, 08:15 PM
I'm sure if you change the exhaust hangers for new items, it should eliminate the knocking? Worn out hangers could make the exhaust jump around a tad on bumps.

I'm on Reds and don't have this spring seat adjustment, but I have swapped over much lower springs and I don't get any knocking whatsoever. Oh, and I've dialled in the fronts to have harder dampening than the rears (180 degree turn from full hard, 270 degree turn from full hard respectively). I thought I did this to match my front and rear spring rates, as the fronts are rated harder than the rears. My car turns in well but exhibits oversteer if I don't lift off.

I used to have a softer setting on the front on my original Koni springs (180 degree turn from full soft on the front, 270 degree turn from full soft on the rear) and my car was well balanced and comfortable, but would understeer if I took a really hard corner.

peedman
30-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Exhaust hangers are cheap at like 10-15 each from midas well worth the investment. Eventually they will get more frequent and knock pretty much all the time on idle so look forward to it!

And if u can, save for coilovers :D