PDA

View Full Version : Battery charger for Stop Start battery

Hillbilly
14-07-2016, 01:58 PM
Because I dont use the Wagon often the battery is going a bit flat between uses. HAd car serviced today and Service manager suggested I use a trickle charger on it between uses.

Is of course an AGM battery and I was thinking along the lines of a Cetek 5 or 7 amp charger.

They are a good brand and I have used one when 4Wding

Suggestions please but I wont be buying any $50 cheapy

Lucas_R
14-07-2016, 02:17 PM
Ive got the 5amp (MXS5.0) CTEK charger - works great and is nice and compact.

The_Hawk
14-07-2016, 03:25 PM
Ive got the 5amp CTEK charger - works great and is nice and compact.

Same here, highly recommended :D

CTEK will happily stay plugged in the whole time if you want or you can just charge it up once a month (or as needed).

Passat R36
14-07-2016, 03:39 PM
I use CETEK 7.0

Hillbilly
14-07-2016, 05:15 PM
I use CETEK 7.0

Yeah had one of them when I had a Cruiser and a van with 4 700CCA batteries between them but dont need that much or that many $$$ to trickle charge the Passat I dont think
Thanks any way. Will go for 5.0 at $118
Will connect the rings and then can take it out when necessary

Hillbilly
14-07-2016, 08:05 PM
Anyone tried the test and charge MSX 5.0 Is it worth the extra $50

Amalgam
15-07-2016, 06:31 PM
Anyone tried the test and charge MSX 5.0 Is it worth the extra $50

If you mean the MXS 5.0, I have one and can recommended it. It has an AGM and recondition function. I hook it up to the Passat and all my other cars once a month to top them up and check on their condition.

www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%205.0_EN.pdf

Hillbilly
15-07-2016, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Amalgam;1192129]If you mean the MXS 5.0, I have one and can recommended it. It has an AGM and recondition function. I hook it up to the Passat and all my other cars once a month to top them up and check on their condition.

www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/MXS%205.0_EN.pdf[/QUOTE Was referring to this one which has a couple of maybe useful functions and was wondering if it is worth the extra money. I decided it wasnt and bought the cheaper one

FREE SHIP- CTEK Battery Charger MXS5.0 TEST & CHARGE - CTEK Products - Power Generation (http://www.edisons.com.au/power-generation/ctek-products/mxs5-0-test-charge/)

Hillbilly
25-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Thanks for info I ended up buying a MXS 7.0 from Autobarn for $159 sale price Does the job perfectly.

The online outfit stuffed me around so I cancelled it

Hillbilly
30-08-2016, 10:33 AM
Further to this thread I had a flat battery today (Left reading lights on) and rang VW for cost of replacement $471.49 and $77 to fit and calibrate car.

Rang Battery World who were dearer and also told me I have the wrong Ctek charger.

Said they make a specific charger for Stop Start batteries. Have emailed Ctek to check if thats correct as havent seen them offered for sale in AUS.
Not having a good day LOL

Passat R36
30-08-2016, 12:25 PM
AGM Battery with MXS 7.0 AGM Charging Mode?

Hillbilly
30-08-2016, 12:31 PM
AGM Battery with MXS 7.0 AGM Charging Mode?
Already got that and they say its the wrong one

Passat R36
30-08-2016, 12:33 PM
I ve been using that for 2 years without any issues.

Hillbilly
30-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Well now there is this one and the guy at Battery World says its the proper one to use so will repost when I hear from Ctek

CTEK CT5 START/STOP (http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers/CT5%20START%20STOP)

Passat R36
30-08-2016, 01:12 PM
is start/stop battery a new type battery?

Eaglehawk
30-08-2016, 01:26 PM
The URL www.ctek.com (http://www.ctek.com/au/en/chargers) is interesting.

It says the MXS-5 model supports stop/start (+AGM etc) but the 7.0 model doesn't really say stop/start. (But it does mention AGM, which I thought implies stop/start batteries)

I bought the 5 model based on this thread...

The_Hawk
30-08-2016, 01:53 PM
I would also be interested in understanding what the difference is since it's looks like a *less* featured charger than the MX5 etc

Reading on the CTEK site it says it's "Optimized for AGM and EFB-batteries"

searching EFB led me here:
AGM & EFB Automotive Batteries Explained - Yuasa battery (http://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technical/agm-efb-explained/)

The short version is that EFB deals with lower charge better than AGM batteries (and stop start vehicles tend to work the battery much harder).

So (and I'm totally guessing here) maybe EFB can/could be charged differently to AGM hence a new charger type with added smarts to better deal with the different (newer) battery type??

Of course the obvious question is how much difference does it actually make?

Hillbilly
30-08-2016, 02:03 PM

It is what is put in Bluemotion vehicles that have the stop start function. Mine is a Varta AGM Vw part no 7PO 915 105 and is what I told the Battery World guy.

Passat R36
30-08-2016, 02:15 PM
My R36 has the same Varta AGM 7P0 915 105 C battery with spec 92Ah 520A DIN 850A EN/SAE

Been using MXS 7.0 charger with AGM mode for 2 years.

Hillbilly
30-08-2016, 02:30 PM
I dont doubt you at all am merely repeating what a so called expert has told me and asked for verification from the manufacturer
Will post the answer if and when I get it

Mine is 68Ah 38A 680A EN/SAE

Hillbilly
01-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Have a brief reply from Ctek which says " You can with good result use your MXS 7,0 to your Varta AGM battery. This will not harm the battery."

So guess its OK and Battery World are not entirely correct.

Transporter
01-09-2016, 09:18 AM
Have a brief reply from Ctek which says " You can with good result use your MXS 7,0 to your Varta AGM battery. This will not harm the battery."

So guess its OK and Battery World are not entirely correct.

I agree with you. I'm using 10 years old CTek to charge the AGM battery without any issue.
The Ctek charger cost more these days for some reason, but there are also Bosch and Projecta with their consumer orientated chargers. The Ctek is probably the best suited, if you charge the battery in the driveway, since it's environmentally sealed.

h100vw
01-09-2016, 09:30 AM
I agree with you. I'm using 10 years old CTek to charge the AGM battery without any issue.
The Ctek charger cost more these days for some reason, but there are also Bosch and Projecta with their consumer orientated chargers. The Ctek is probably the best suited, if you charge the battery in the driveway, since it's environmentally sealed.

Repco seem to knock 50% or so off the prices with some regularity. I got one the other week to replace an Aldi charger. Which for $30 was ok as a basic item. The Ctek is another world though.

Gavin

Hillbilly
01-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Repco seem to knock 50% or so off the prices with some regularity. I got one the other week to replace an Aldi charger. Which for $30 was ok as a basic item. The Ctek is another world though.

Gavin Bought my MXS 7.0 at Repco sale for $159. Cheaper than online at the time

The_Hawk
01-09-2016, 11:56 AM

This is sort of like saying "sure you can use your OEM wheels with your car with good results.... but we have newer ones...".

The MXS series specifically work with the AGM batteries, so that's no great surprise. I'd still be interested in what the EFB batteries chargers bring to the table over the AGM types and if there is any benefit in the "stop/start" charger vs the MXS when it comes to charging AGM batteries.

...which of course leads to the next question...

Does VW use EFB? Or are they even available in Australia otherwise?

Eaglehawk
01-09-2016, 09:26 PM
...which of course leads to the next question...

Does VW use EFB? Or are they even available in Australia otherwise?

From Stop-Start Car Batteries | Battery Service Sydney and NSW (http://www.mynrma.com.au/roadside-assistance/batteries/battery-types/stop-start-vehicles-battery-technology.htm)

"cars such as the Subaru XV, Impreza (2012 onwards), Mazda CX5, Mazda SP25 and Mazda Skyactiv all use EFB batteries."

Transporter
07-09-2016, 07:51 PM
The EFB batteries are just a bit improved version of the std lead acid flooded batteries. So, any CTek charger will charge it just fine, without any ill affect. The AGM batteries are superior to EFB batteries.

From the Tiguan with ss technology.
The charging characteristic of the alternator is not any different to ordinary flooded battery, with exemption to the higher current, to allow quick charging.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/09/e08ef844f129ab1ba7b5d7e38664b007-2.jpg