PDA

View Full Version : wax

Tim
28-12-2007, 04:22 PM
hey guys.
Just a quick question
ive had my car washed at the local hand carwash place a couple times now.
The first time i had it done i asked for it to be waxed as well.
Now they use some kind of spray on wax which i guess is fair enough. Its just a very cheap process. But yeah. A couple months down the track now I see it starting to bubble in a few sections on the car. There is one very small bit on the side of the car where it looks like a complete small patch of the stuff has come off?

Is the wearing off of the wax supposed to be more graceful than that?

Is this a process that I should avoid and actually do the job myself?

fuzion
28-12-2007, 04:46 PM
everyone will give you 50 opinions of what it is, what to do etc!

your best bet imo is to get your own polish, auto glym, meguiars, sonus, poorboys, etc.. dependant on how much you want to spend. you can spend a quick 15-45m after you wash the car yourself and apply it and then wipe it off.

theres "spray wax" and also quick detailers spray, what the commonly used stuff by car washes they use a 'spray on polish' or wetshine stuff from Omnikron which just gives a quick shine and is basically like the car lovers "water polish" wax-thing. wax will always wear off regardless, especially the more you wash it!

easy solution, $5-8 and to a car lovers car wash with a bucket and a noodle-sponge or wash-mit and do it yourself, then go chamois it off and spray quick detailer on it and clean it off. otherwise some polish like autoglym, or other brands mentioned.

you wanna go all out, check www.waxit.com.au they have some of the best polishes around however you are gonna pay for what you get! alternatively you could get a pro detailer to do your car every 6 months and just keep it tidy by applying as mentioned!

theres also a australia detailers forum too, a lot more tech help details and hints on there including the waxit guys as well as others
http://www.detailparadise.com.au/

Tim
28-12-2007, 05:18 PM
yeah i dont really wanna go all out. Im not a huge fan of washing my cars.

Just dont like the idea of stuff peeling off unevenly!

rayray086
28-12-2007, 09:07 PM
finalinspection.com.au may be more closer to where you live! You're on EuroCCA once in a while, you've probably seen Damian's work in the detailing section.

Tim
28-12-2007, 09:24 PM
yeah he is amazing!

at some point im gonna take the car there and have them remove the optional extra swirls in my paint that the dealer installed during delivery

DubSteve
30-12-2007, 09:11 AM
That final inspection place looks the goods Tim I'd go there mate :)

The_Hawk
30-12-2007, 09:37 AM
AutoGlym is my poison of choice for most products. I got some Meguiars Quick Clay for christmas which I will be trying out in the next week.

I have bucket loads of swirl I want to get rid of too, any recomendations of product? I can see a Meguiars product, but not a Auto Glym. So whats good?

Tensixty6
31-12-2007, 12:13 PM
That final inspection place looks the goods Tim I'd go there mate :)

I'd second that. They do a superb job. I had a stage 2 detail done a few weeks ago. The paintwork has never look better.

As far as waxing goes, Damian from FI recommends Optimum Car Wax...just spray it on and wipe...too easy. I use it after almost every wash.

BTW Tim, l'm guessing that was you l parked in front of at Safeway Clarinda this morning, hmmm?

Tim
31-12-2007, 12:18 PM
yyyyyep that was me. Had to take the mrs shopping. Parents are coming over for tea so there is a big panic on! Well from her there is.

I got me a case of boags premium so im nice and relaxed for the day :)

Tim
31-12-2007, 12:30 PM
out of curiosity what did the stage 2 detail cost u?

Tensixty6
31-12-2007, 12:49 PM
out of curiosity what did the stage 2 detail cost u?

$280.00. Which seems a lot, but, they spend about 8 to 9 hours on it, so the hourly rate ain't exactly high. If one of my guys spent 9 hours on a job and only charged $280.00, I'd go out of business.

My paintwork was a mess. I made the mistake of using the brush at CarLovers. Never again. Scratched to buggery. Not any more though. Damian at FI did a great job.

BTW, l think I'll pull out of the Kinglake cruise. The near miss l had yesterday really un-nerved me. So close to going over the edge. I might take the easy route up to Yea and meet you guys there. We'll see.

Happy New Year.

Tim
31-12-2007, 01:38 PM
$280 seems quite reasonable. I will have to go see them at some point

and yeah no stress mate.
As ive warned everyone its not a road to mess with. We will be taking it pretty easy there. Not that any of our cruises to date have been fast paced. But i know what you mean. It only takes one idiot coming the other way

vinderliker
31-12-2007, 02:52 PM
I am using 3m Liquid wax, that I have left over from the days when I had an Automotive Paint Repair and Detailing business. Unfortunately due to my Bipolar I sold all my hardware like the machine buffer/polisher, airbrushes, spray guns and the compressor. The 3m system when I was doing had three stages, heavy cut with the buffer and special pad, polish with the buffer and special pad and then the liquid wax, by hand with damp cheese cloth applicator, then removed by flannelet rag. I have to machine cut and buff the Little Beastie. One of my neighbours said he had one I could borrow, or I could go to Bunnings and buy a cheap Ryobi for $100, which means I could help my mates out.

No457 Snowy
31-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Santa gave me one of these for Xmas.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/12/waxattack-1.jpg

Used it today, and it made the job really easy.

http://snowyosborne.gallery.netspace.net.au/albums/album01/IMG_Waxed.jpg

Snowy