PDA

View Full Version : Possible R36 Haldex Problem?? Need help and advise

Feng20
05-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Guy,
My beloved 2009 R36 seems to has developed a bit of issue lately.:( I've been getting a lot of wheel spin at the low gears when I push the car a little bit hard. I did just have had a major services done but the problem seems to have occurred just before it and I dont think some new spark plugs would have make the car produced heaps of more power! Also the types although is not new but in reasonable condition as well. The only other thing I have got done to the car is had a Front brake rotor and pad replaced with a aftermarket slotted disc, which seems to be working fine if not better.

From some research, I have seen ppl suggest that it could be a Halex AWD problem which turn car into a more FWD rather than AWD but I have not notice any warning lights on the dash.:confused:

Any suggestion is welcome and appreciated!

snerlo
05-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Definitely sounds like a haldex issue mate. Someone on here with more experience will chime in but it could be the pump too.

kleung
06-07-2016, 04:10 PM
Guy,From some research, I have seen ppl suggest that it could be a Halex AWD problem which turn car into a more FWD rather than AWD but I have not notice any warning lights on the dash.:confused:

Yep, Haldex I think. Either the controller or the pump. Either way it means your R36 is dragging itself along by its front wheels only.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f234/uh-oh-v6-passat-without-awd-=-balls-111358.html

From what I understand, a failure in the Haldex system usually doesn't light up any idiot lights, and the only symptoms are wicked wheelspin instead of prodigious grip when you give it a bit of stick. It's likely that there will be fault codes logged in the ECU though. My money's on the Haldex pump.

Feng20
06-07-2016, 05:10 PM
Thank all, would it be any easy way to fix? Or just take it back to dealer? I'm a bit afraid it would cost me heaps$

kleung
06-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Thank all, would it be any easy way to fix? Or just take it back to dealer? I'm a bit afraid it would cost me heaps$

If the pump is defective you'll need a new one. It happened to mine too, but fortunately my extended warranty paid for it. The invoice I got was for around $1100 including the replacement pump, fluids, other parts and labour.

R36&GTI
11-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Guy,
My beloved 2009 R36 seems to has developed a bit of issue lately.:( I've been getting a lot of wheel spin at the low gears when I push the car a little bit hard. I did just have had a major services done but the problem seems to have occurred just before it and I dont think some new spark plugs would have make the car produced heaps of more power! Also the types although is not new but in reasonable condition as well. The only other thing I have got done to the car is had a Front brake rotor and pad replaced with a aftermarket slotted disc, which seems to be working fine if not better.

From some research, I have seen ppl suggest that it could be a Halex AWD problem which turn car into a more FWD rather than AWD but I have not notice any warning lights on the dash.:confused:

Any suggestion is welcome and appreciated!

I had the same problem: sudden wheel spin when throttle floored, which meant Haldex not working. Thankfully Michael my VW guru at Prestige and Performance at Coorparoo in Brisbane was able to fix the problem, which was something to do with the pump. I think it was that it needed cleaning (brushes?). Anyway, for less than a couple of hundred bucks i was up and running again, and it's still working perfectly. Suggest you give them a call. What I learned was just how much work the Haldex does. It's completely invisible until it stops working, and then - boy - do you know what it does! (And no warning lights or other clues either BTW.)

3C4M Guy
12-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Recently when setting off from the lights on a wet road, I've been able to detect the front wheels slipping for a brief part of second before the rear wheels suddenly bite with a small jolt. Does this indicate something in the Haldex is not 100%?
I should mention my tyres have very little tread left.

kleung
12-08-2016, 01:24 PM
I should mention my tyres have very little tread left.

Replace the tyres first and try again. Torque being transferred to the rear wheels should be imperceptible - how are you determining that the rear wheels are suddenly biting?

There will be no warning lights lit if the haldex is failing, but I think there are fault codes logged.

3C4M Guy
12-08-2016, 09:27 PM
how are you determining that the rear wheels are suddenly biting?

Good point. I don't know for sure. It just feels that way. Maybe it's the front wheels slipping then biting when a greater % of drive is transferred to the rear?

h100vw
12-08-2016, 10:31 PM
Maybe it's the front wheels slipping then biting when a greater % of drive is transferred to the rear?

This is how Haldex works. It's a front drive car until they spin, it's far from perfect and depending on circumstances you may feel it operate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDRVTjMPK9Q