PDA

View Full Version : B7 2012 118tsi passat dsg7 speed HUGE oil consumption

Jwarnes71
19-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Yet another thread about this yes sorry. But I have trawled and searched for weeks to get a clear indication of the issue on my car. But I thought Id start a thread to help sort it out. VWs use alot of oil yes. But mine is getting rediculous.
In 4000 kms Ive used 1 and a half 4 L containers of oil.
Then it started missfiring. So clearly oil is getting into the cylinders.
I first changed the PCV valve to eliminate that possibility at $180 which didnt do anything.
Then I pulled out the spark plugs and inspected them. They were terrible. A car that is only 5 years old and 160k kms shouldnt run like this.
So put in new ones today. Runs much better.
There was an unrelated fault (coolant leak) which I fixed which meant I had to remove the intake manifold. While that was off i noticed big blobs of dried up oily gunk on the intake valve shafts.
So i need to determine where the oil is getting into the cylinders from. So i blocked off the pcv pipe to pre turbo pipe and routed that into a bottle. After a week of driving that was still clean. So it appears the engine has no blow by at all.
These engines run a vacumn pipe from the intake manifold to the pcv valve. The pcv valve is a complex thing on these engines. Having two separate valves. So i was thinking maybe under boost oily blow by air is being blown through this pipe directly into the cylinders. Ive set up a temporary system with a glass bottle to capture it if anything is going that way.
I also took apart the intercooler piping only to find a little oil. Not much. So thought maybe the turbo seal on the intake side is leaking but it seems now maybe it isn't.
Anyway now driving it like this with the pcv gasses isolated from the intake system so if oil is still contaniminating the cylinders then it must be either rings or valve stems seals.
Looking for information from anyone familiar with these engines and these symptons before I pay for a mechanic to rebiuld the engine.
Anyone got some advice?
The car has a recall sticker on it. But dont know if this was for lean engine 118TSI issues or DSG repair.
The 7 speed dsg is junk and used to shudder on take off so ive reset the dsg and now its fine.

kleung
20-06-2016, 02:42 AM
The car has a recall sticker on it. But dont know if this was for lean engine 118TSI issues or DSG repair.
The 7 speed dsg is junk and used to shudder on take off so ive reset the dsg and now its fine.

There should be a campaign number printed on the recall sticker which should tell you what recall work was done. I think you'll find it was for the incorrect DSG fluid recall - one of these two:

Volkswagen Group Australia Pty Ltd—Polo, Golf, Golf Wagon, Golf Cabriolet, Beetle, Jetta, Passat, and Caddy Vehicles (http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1053555) <- Affected models built between 2008 and 2011
Volkswagen Group Australia Pty Ltd—Polo, Golf, Golf Wagon, Golf Cabriolet, Jetta, Passat, and Caddy Vehicles (http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1048823) <- this one affected MY2013 vehicles, which yours might be

To my knowledge, there was no recall for the lean burn issue in the 118TSI (there may have been a service campaign, I'm not sure) - even if there was, it was for the 1.4l twin-charged engine fitted to Golfs, not the 1.8l turbo fitted to your Passat.

The 7-speed DSG shudder may have been a premature clutch pack wear issue - if a reset has solved your issue, hopefully it's a permanent fix. If not, as I understand it, the latest revision of the clutch packs resolves the issue.

Regarding the oil consumption issue - your car is likely to be less than 12 months out of new car warranty (if you don't have an extended warranty) - it might be worth approaching a VW dealership for a goodwill repair of the excess oil consumption. You've got nothing to lose. IIRC, VW consider 1l/1000km to be acceptable - but you are well above this at 1.5l/1000km, so between VW wanting to rebuild customer confidence and you nudging them with the ACL, they might just say yes to a goodwill repair.

Jwarnes71
20-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Thankyou. Top notch information!

Jwarnes71
21-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Well VW said the engine has done too many kms and are not interested in repairing it. Said oil consumption was normal. Normal to polute the environment with 8 litres a month??
So ive ordered a set of valve seals and we will see what that does.
Im getting a gut feeling someone has run the incorrect fuel and oil in this car.

VW Convert
21-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Well VW said the engine has done too many kms and are not interested in repairing it. Said oil consumption was normal. Normal to polute the environment with 8 litres a month??
So ive ordered a set of valve seals and we will see what that does.
Im getting a gut feeling someone has run the incorrect fuel and oil in this car.

So what's the history of the car? How long have you owned it? Service history? How many kilometres has it travelled?

Cheers

George

Passat my07
21-06-2016, 10:37 PM
Have you done a compression test or a leak down test? If the results are bad the stem seals won't help. If the results are ok it might help.

Jwarnes71
29-06-2016, 09:46 PM
Im looking for a compression tester to try it. As mine did not fit.
Does anyone know if you can remove the head without taking the engine out of the car?

Jwarnes71
29-06-2016, 09:49 PM
History of the car is unknown. Bought it a few months back. Kicking myself I didnt check the engine more thouroughly. By the looks of it the wrong oil was used by previous owner but other than the need for the engine to get a serious clean everything else is ok.

Snail Style
29-06-2016, 11:11 PM
Likely will need new pistons. Head can come off with engine in the car, but pistons can't come out unless you remove the gearbox.

blower
30-06-2016, 08:34 AM
Likely will need new pistons. Head can come off with engine in the car, but pistons can't come out unless you remove the gearbox.

Not true - there are 2 holes on the gearbox side of the sump so you can access the 2 last bolts to get the sump off.

I've just stripped and rebuilt my 118 tsi engine this way, with 7 speed dsg - leaving the cylinder block and gearbox in the engine bay, just taking off everything around it, sump, head and pistons - I upgraded to forged pistons and also cleaned and reworked the head, fitted a new timing chain, cam adjuster, tensioner etc whilst I was there.

Snail Style
30-06-2016, 08:36 AM
1.8L not twin charged

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

blower
30-06-2016, 11:02 AM
1.8L not twin charged

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Oh...lol, not familiar with the 1.8 118kw.

Jwarnes71
30-06-2016, 07:40 PM
I was going to say....how did you get the chain off!! Anyway very little room around the timing chain area. Thinking its not possible to get the head off while in the car.

Jwarnes71
03-07-2016, 09:48 PM
Does anyone know where I can get the full workshop manual for this from?
(2011 118tsi passat)

Jwarnes71
16-07-2016, 08:26 AM
Well Im keen to know now if you can access the sump and pistons without removing it all of it from the gearbox and engine bay because it looks like it was not just valve seals.
I took the head off and cleaned the carbon out of the valves and changed the seals.
The car drives SO much better now and there is no visible smoke in the exhaust anymore. I thought all good. Then 300kms later the dreaded oil light came on.
So its still using oil.
Compression test is next.
Ive heard bore washing from the fuel injection causing more wear on the rings can be the problem.
So im wondering if a rehone and new rings will do it, or will it need oversized pistons and rings and a rebore.
Anyone got some thoughts?
And good parts sources?

Jwarnes71
24-07-2016, 09:13 PM
So planning on doing the bottom end on this one in the next few months. Sourcing some parts.
Ive got the head gasket sorted.
Looking for anyone in here that knows their stuff to recommend the best brand of piston rings?
And connecting rod bolts and head bolts?

Jwarnes71
26-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Beuler?? Beuler??

James b
10-10-2016, 06:06 AM
So planning on doing the bottom end on this one in the next few months. Sourcing some parts.
Ive got the head gasket sorted.
Looking for anyone in here that knows their stuff to recommend the best brand of piston rings?
And connecting rod bolts and head bolts?
You could try here
PelicanParts.com - 2010 Volkswagen Passat Komfort Wagon - Engine (http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperCat/5076/5076-Engine.htm)

Snail Style
10-10-2016, 11:19 AM
The rods/pistons were altered to rectify this fault, i'd be going genuine or i can probably track down a price to get them aftermarker OEM if you like.

Jwarnes71
20-11-2016, 12:03 PM
Ok ive done the whole engine. Oh my god Volkswagen hang your frigging head in shame mate. These engines are utter crap. Ive got new valve stem seals. New pistons. New rings. The bores were in perfect condition. The clearance were in spec and new pistons fitted perfectly. Yet she still blows a little smoke and is using OIL!!!
VOLKSWAGEN WHAT THE F $@/K???
IM OVER THESE CRAPPY ENGINES AND IM OFFLOADING THE RUBBISH CAR AND MOVING ON. Anyone considering ever buying a Volkswagen get your bloody head read.

Amalgam
20-11-2016, 02:17 PM
Ok ive done the whole engine. Oh my god Volkswagen hang your frigging head in shame mate. These engines are utter crap. Ive got new valve stem seals. New pistons. New rings. The bores were in perfect condition. The clearance were in spec and new pistons fitted perfectly. Yet she still blows a little smoke and is using OIL!!!
VOLKSWAGEN WHAT THE F $@/K???
IM OVER THESE CRAPPY ENGINES AND IM OFFLOADING THE RUBBISH CAR AND MOVING ON. Anyone considering ever buying a Volkswagen get your bloody head read.

Sad to say that 118TSI and the twincharge on the Polo GTI are notorious for oil consumptions.

My daughter's tutor has a 118TSI Passat wagon and our friend had a Polo GTI, both drank over 1L/1000kms. The friend sold their Polo after 3x "rebuilds" but the tutor has persisted as she can't afford to change cars. Both were new cars.

Passat my07
20-11-2016, 07:29 PM
Where do you think the oil is going? Turbo? Valve guides? Rings?
Did the bores get a good hone?

Snail Style
21-11-2016, 08:57 AM
The common issue is the piston rings, however obviously you need to confirm it first or you will end up like Jwarnes, doing a full rebuild with no success. Bores on most modern/VAG engines can't be honed as they are silicon coated(?) and doing so utterly ruins them.

The only fix required was replacing pistons and in some cases conrods, as the later make pistons had a new matching rod.

ScotRok
21-11-2016, 07:16 PM
I don't know if this is the same, my wife's Polo GTI has just had the oil injectors replaced because of the consumption issue, it is a Technical Bulletin from the factory, but not a recall. Local dealer claimed car was acceptable my normal dealer ran the vin and did the injectors under warranty. Over 2000k since and level is 2 mm from the full mark, so all good so far.

Amalgam
22-11-2016, 03:28 PM
Good to hear. :banana:

Jwarnes71
15-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Happy to report the engine is using less oil now. I think its more in the area of 250ml per 2000kms. Piston rings must have bedded in some more. There is no longer any smoke visible at all when I floor the accelerator for an extended burst and there is more power!
Now my biggest problem is the DSG lol. She needs an update!