PDA

View Full Version : DSG gear selector removal

3C4M Guy
19-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Does anyone know the exact method for removing the T bar shaped DSG gear selector on a 2007 Passat? As well as pulling out the chrome knob on the side, does something underneath the leather boot have to be pushed or pulled? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

dinot81
20-06-2016, 12:47 PM
The car's manual should have in it. Mine has instructions for it. Just check.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

3C4M Guy
21-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Nothing in the owner's manual obviously. My workshop manual for a B6 only shows how to release the gear lever from the locked position if the battery is flat by pressing the yellow wedge down. My B5 workshop manual shows how to remove the shift selector by sliding down the collar on the lower part of the shaft then pulling out the knob on the lever - but this is an earlier model car. Anyone else done this before on a B6?

Horace01
21-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Pretty sure it will be the same procedure as for the Caddy and Mk5 T-bar shifters.

The procedure has been covered many times on other forums. A quick Google search for DSG shifter removal will give you plenty of results. Not sure if I can post links to other forums here so I'll leave it with you to search yourself but there are a couple of good ones on golfmkv.com

To answer your question though - yes there is a plastic piece on the shaft that you need to move to then be able to pull the T-bar off.

From memory you need to push it down hard. It looks like this:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/06/f6e0f3ddea02c3f37ce74bea9c345fc5-2.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

3C4M Guy
09-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Still struggling to remove the gear shift. From what I can see, the plastic on the lower shaft under the leather boot has two parts. The upper part might be able to slide inside the lower part. Tried pulling out the chrome knob at the top of the gear shift and at the same time pulling the upper plastic part down as well as the lower part up. Scared to use brute force.

Help please!

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f234/24262-dsg-gear-selector-removal-img_5342-jpg