PDA

View Full Version : Wagon Boot Lid Wiring through Rubber Boot

ASR36
08-06-2016, 01:32 PM
Hi All,

I am installing a blackvue camera into my passat wagon. I have spent the 98% of the time on my install trying to feed through the rubber boot from above the headlining in through into the tailgate :facepalm::mad:. I have removed the rubber boot from the tailgate side but cannot seem to remove or feed anything else through the boot from the vehicle side. Has anyone fed or taken apart the rubber boot from for the wiring between the car and the tailgate before?

Thanks

Aaron

kamold
08-06-2016, 02:27 PM
I deliberately avoided having to attempt this with my taillight ring mod (haven't wired up the inner indicator rings) because those grommets are chock full of cable and its next to impossible to get anything else in.
You'll likely have to split the grommet open and then try and seal it again.

ASR36
08-06-2016, 02:53 PM
I deliberately avoided having to attempt this with my taillight ring mod (haven't wired up the inner indicator rings) because those grommets are chock full of cable and its next to impossible to get anything else in.
You'll likely have to split the grommet open and then try and seal it again.

The problem I have found is that on the inside part of the vehicle behind the gromit is made of hard plastic and I cannot penetrate through it either. The hard plastic is split like a clip but I can't get my fingers in behind to prise it apart or pull it out.

I wish I was stuck on something more technically challenged. Never thought a rubber boot would have me stuffed!

Hillbilly
08-06-2016, 03:31 PM
Do what i did and ran it up the door seal and just fed it out like this

First two are rear camera attached to trim inside door header with 3M Duallock tape.

3rd one is front camera and all that you can see of the wiring. Also held on with Duallock tape
Both have been there for well over two years and never fallen off.

Power is from the fuse box in RH end of dash and there is a power magic for the rear camera to allow for parking mode
The rear camera wiring is under door trims and up over rear wheel arch and pulled through into seal with a bit of wire accessable from the little door in rhand side You can wedge the trim out far enough to get it through

Last two are fuse box and I used two spare sockets that had power in the top half and used the fuse from Jaycar (last pic)
The power magic is wrapped in the bubble wrap to stop rattles

Like you I gave up on trying to get the wire through the grommet into the door and just compromised as shown Have never managed to bump camera but then Im really fussy about what I put in the car.

ASR36
08-06-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks Hillbilly for posting the pictures. Your option seems to be the best solution. I have only persisted because it shouldn't be that hard to feed an extra wire through a boot and have never had the problem before.

Hillbilly
08-06-2016, 06:08 PM
Thanks Hillbilly for posting the pictures. Your option seems to be the best solution. I have only persisted because it shouldn't be that hard to feed an extra wire through a boot and have never had the problem before.

Perhaps you havent tried a VW before I did it in my 100 series Toyota but had to use a wire and grease to get it through the same sort of grommet. I tried a wire in VW but wasnt going to happen so I gave up. Its not the wire thats the problem its the plug on the end that can rip off.
When you connect it in the fuse box get a ciggy socket and dont cut the original lead. Cost $3.95 at Jaycar and just solder a pair of wires to it. The Dual lock is at Bunnings but I have some High temp stuff I got in USA if you want some.

ASR36
08-06-2016, 06:58 PM
I have the blackvue 650 and the rear camera is just a coax style cable. I don't want to cut or damage it. Already have the wire tap adaptors and the power magic to go with it. I'll be doing the same install in the polo in the coming weeks but wanted to get the passat done first. what was to be a quick hour job suddenly turned into an afternoon of frustration.

Hillbilly
08-06-2016, 09:11 PM
Have done the Polo but only a front cam Found a spare fuse socket on it as well and dis it the same way Fuse into ciggy socket and original plug into that. The 650 wasnt out when I did mine so I have a 500 and a 350

If you are using Addafuses as here make sure you fit them with the wire facing down like this

snerlo
09-06-2016, 11:30 AM
ASR36,
Been in exactly the same predicament as you mate when I installed my reversing camera. It would possibly be easier to chat privately via phone rather than back and forth as it is sometimes hard to describe but if you still need some help, PM me and we can go through it. I live in Brisbane.

ASR36
09-06-2016, 05:01 PM
ASR36,
Been in exactly the same predicament as you mate when I installed my reversing camera. It would possibly be easier to chat privately via phone rather than back and forth as it is sometimes hard to describe but if you still need some help, PM me and we can go through it. I live in Brisbane.

Thanks Snerlo for the offer but I ended up installing the camera the same way as Hillbilly. Now that I have it installed it isn't that bad to mount it from the roof as it is in the same position as it would have been on the window anyway. I have temporally installed it using 3M command picture hanging strips (it's all I had around home today to use) until I mount it in a more permanent way. I might end up contacting you though if I decide to give it another crack over a weekend when I have more time :) .

On another lighter note... I ended up having some power issues with the unit today. I triple checked everything except for the supercheap branded blade fuses that I had purchased. After going back to basics and testing more concisely it ended up being a faulty fuse. Seems that the simple things have gotten to me with this install!

Hillbilly
09-06-2016, 06:24 PM
Go to Bunnings and get the 3M Dual lock Then if you need to you can swap the cameras into a different vehicle simply by buying a second set of power cords. I made a new one myself and lengthened it so when I was overseas it fitted in my rentals. Took some Dual lock and just swapped camera between the 4 rentals I had.

Simples.

Cutch42
20-01-2023, 11:06 AM
Do what i did and ran it up the door seal and just fed it out like this

First two are rear camera attached to trim inside door header with 3M Duallock tape.

3rd one is front camera and all that you can see of the wiring. Also held on with Duallock tape
Both have been there for well over two years and never fallen off.

Power is from the fuse box in RH end of dash and there is a power magic for the rear camera to allow for parking mode
The rear camera wiring is under door trims and up over rear wheel arch and pulled through into seal with a bit of wire accessable from the little door in rhand side You can wedge the trim out far enough to get it through

Last two are fuse box and I used two spare sockets that had power in the top half and used the fuse from Jaycar (last pic)
The power magic is wrapped in the bubble wrap to stop rattles

Like you I gave up on trying to get the wire through the grommet into the door and just compromised as shown Have never managed to bump camera but then Im really fussy about what I put in the car.

Resurrecting an old thread, I am having this exact issue at the moment and the above post sounds like the solution however the pics are no longer there... Any chance you could be a legend and repost the pics Hillbilly?

Hillbilly
20-01-2023, 12:38 PM
Resurrecting an old thread, I am having this exact issue at the moment and the above post sounds like the solution however the pics are no longer there... Any chance you could be a legend and repost the pics Hillbilly? A bit hard as dont have them but if you go here and follow what they say its the same 404 | AutoInstruct (http://www.autoinstruct.com.au/guides) and got to Golf Mk7. Has pics The wiggle connector between the car and the tail door comes out like this Put a fine screwdriver or body tool down the outer end of the connector in the car wedge it towards centre and it will pull up Same at other end in the taildoor. BY outer end I mean the end thats obvious and the wiggle bit goes away from it. I used a knitting needle to poke through it and taped the camera cable to it and used some "Personal Lubricant" to help it slide through A bit of a job but it went in the finish.

You are able to attach it to the panel at the rear of the roof but need the metal bit to stick it to as wont stick to the plastic. I just got a bit of Colorbond flashing and bent it like a peg and it gripped the piece ok slid in from the front. Above tells you ho to do it the proper way Here you go I found it in the archives