PDA

View Full Version : Fuel effiency from different brands of tyres

neil
25-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Most of our tyre threads are about ride, handling,tread mileage of the tyre. Has anyone researched the fuel efficiency factor of particular brands in Aus. Have noticed one US forum are about how one particular make of tyre over another is getting them much better fuel efficiency.

Below was one members change in performance after changing brands.
"American Bridgestone G009's getting 38-41mpg compared to
Michelin pilot exacto AS getting 48+mpg"

rayray086
25-12-2007, 12:27 PM
I believe there are too many factors to deal with when it comes to fuel efficiency. There are a lot of variables that must be kept constant (off the top of my head - tyre pressure, fuel used, time of service, and the heavy right foot) to render those figures significant.

neil
25-12-2007, 01:48 PM
I believe there are too many factors to deal with when it comes to fuel efficiency. There are a lot of variables that must be kept constant (off the top of my head - tyre pressure, fuel used, time of service, and the heavy right foot) to render those figures significant.

Very true ray.

But wouldn't it be even possible for a heavy footed driver to save fuel if they
had a tyre that had a better rolling resistance factor.
I forgot to mention in previous post those figures are for a Jetta TDI
So it could be possible to save fuel without knowing it. it just depends on
the tyre and its tread resistance and as you said tyre pressure and maintenance.
I was just wondering if any others have noticed a difference on fuel
consumption with different brand of tyres in Aus.

I think what we need is time and people who are keeping an accurate record
of there driving style and fuel consumption.

The forum I was referring to is relating to American tyres for their conditions
so its not possible to get an accurate picture from Australian brands.

Do Australian sold tyres have a resistance factor rating.

rayray086
25-12-2007, 02:45 PM
But wouldn't it be even possible for a heavy footed driver to save fuel if they
had a tyre that had a better rolling resistance factor.

I think what we need is time and people who are keeping an accurate record
of there driving style and fuel consumption.

Do Australian sold tyres have a resistance factor rating.

I guess that leads to another question - what constitutes a "fuel-saving" tyre? Maybe tyre compound? Pattern? And something that relates to "a better rolling resistance factor" - the weight of the tyre? I'd be interested to know!

I suppose with environmental and fuel resource issues these days being more aware, tests will be carried out to try and raise more awareness on this topic.

I've been reading some of this too: http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Some important info I think.

blutopless2
05-01-2008, 04:51 PM
i used to work for a rubber manufacturer in melb years ago and they provided rubber to south pacific tyres which they then added their own goodies to to make all the different compounds of tyre etc for whatever they made at the plant. essentially the base compound is the same. its made the same way all the time and as far as i remember there was only one grade that we made that went to spt.
i beleive what changes the rolling resistance of the tyre is the amount of silicon they use in them (probably different compounds for each manufacturer as they are trying to outdo oneanother at the mo).
in the base rubber there is an ingredient that we called antioxidant which gave the rubber its lifespan before degradation due to age - that's why tyres should be replaced before approx 10 years of age regardless of tread left - i remember one year that we used a full tank of this stuff in a few days instead of it going in over a whole month. now those would've been interesting tyres.

No457 Snowy
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM
There was an EVO Tyre test article posted over on Vortex by Liam (minigolf) where 9 sets of tyres were tested for various attributes, stopping, cornering, wet grip, etc.

The worst performing tyre in almost every tested category and the overall worst performing tyre in the entire test (Yokohama S.Drive) delivered the lowest rolling resistance and theoretically best fuel economy.

In the straight line emergency stopping test, the Yokohamas took more than 12 metres more than the best performing Goodyears to pull up.

Sacrificing 12 metres stopping distance when I need it most, to save a few cents in fuel just scares me.

Snowy.

The_Hawk
06-01-2008, 09:36 AM
I was going to post along those lines last night, but had to go out drinking with the boys instead :D

If you reduce rolling resistance don't you also reduce grip? Sure there would be a mid point between slick and a deep offroad pattern, but I have to think it would be more about how well it disperses water and how noisy it is rather than trying to reduce rolling resistance.

rayray086
06-01-2008, 11:49 AM
There was an EVO Tyre test article posted over on Vortex by Liam (minigolf) where 9 sets of tyres were tested for various attributes, stopping, cornering, wet grip, etc.

The worst performing tyre in almost every tested category and the overall worst performing tyre in the entire test (Yokohama S.Drive) delivered the lowest rolling resistance and theoretically best fuel economy.

In the straight line emergency stopping test, the Yokohamas took more than 12 metres more than the best performing Goodyears to pull up.

Sacrificing 12 metres stopping distance when I need it most, to save a few cents in fuel just scares me.

Snowy.

That's some interesting stuff. Could you please post the link over to the thread on Vortex?

No457 Snowy
06-01-2008, 12:47 PM
Here it is.

http://www.liam27.com/stuff/EVO_TyreTest_2007_GTI.pdf

Snowy. :)

rayray086
06-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks a lot Snowy!