PDA

View Full Version : Brake fade

Stephen
02-06-2016, 10:27 AM
2012 auto amarok looking to see if any one can help me I was up in the vic high county in the week end and cooked my breaks as I don't have the low range riding breaks down the hills I had to pull out in the end and head home can any one help so this won't happen again and the rotors and pads had only done 6000ks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

h100vw
02-06-2016, 03:27 PM
2012 auto amarok looking to see if any one can help me I was up in the vic high county in the week end and cooked my breaks as I don't have the low range riding breaks down the hills I had to pull out in the end and head home can any one help so this won't happen again and the rotors and pads had only done 6000ks.

What did the brakes do? Did the pedal remain hard and you didn't slow down? This is the fault of the pads. So you need new pads with a better tolerance for heat.

Did the pedal go spongy and you didn't slow down? This is the fluid over heating. So you need to replace it with better quality fluid that boils at a higher temp.

Regardless of what the actual problem was, speak to Brakes Direct up here in Brisbane and they'll have a solution to fix it.

Tornado_ALIVE
02-06-2016, 08:44 PM
Autos suffer more in the High Country from both break fade and transmission overheating compared to a manual. Just need to be a little more patient, run the down hills a bit slower and be prepared to pull over and let the auto cool down if it gets hot. I have a manual and have been on a few High Country trips with autos. They have gone everywhere we have but you just need to get to know your car and how to handle it in the High Country.

Stephen
03-06-2016, 12:07 AM
Very spongy wouldn't pull the ute up at one point they where smoking. And yes I think the fluid is burnt the breaks never come back now I'm home takes a bit to pull it up and once they get hot it's back to can't pull it up easy. Yeah was my first time up there so hopefully I get it sorted and won't happen again pretty **** having to come home a day early missed out on blue rag! Auto never got hot so was good! But I also done a cv so was a costly weekend!