PDA

View Full Version : Which shockies are the best?

GoLfMan
14-06-2006, 03:03 PM
since i already have lowered springs. which sport shockies are the best if your budget doesnt stretch to Koni's?
cheers

worm
14-06-2006, 03:10 PM
Mate, there all expensive. Pedders are like over 1 grand for crappy sports ones. Koni are the go. Try and find some second hand ones. ppl say they wouldnt, but I have had friends with jap cars buy them and they have been awsome and cheap.

GoLfMan
14-06-2006, 03:30 PM
where would you source second hand suspension though? i was thinkin munroe sports shocks. Unless i can find some second hand Koni's. the guys at Volkspower can source me Bilsteins for $400 a pair last time i spoke to them?

vee_dub
14-06-2006, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't go for second hand one, because you just dont know how's the pervious owner treat the suspension. Obviously for people who had passion with car will do some hard corncering.

If koni might as well bilstein they are equally as good tho.

Monroe is nice and reasonable price nor cheap tho. Same price range as pedder but i trust monroe better.

Cheer,
Fred.

worm
14-06-2006, 04:19 PM
You goto search for second hand ones.... probably more luck than anything!
$400 for a pair of shocks seems ok.... are they adjustable?
Go for Bilstein or Koni... I got ripped by pedders once so would stay away unless its the only option.
Its far easier to ring around suspension joints and ask them than ask on a forum... internet isnt good for EVERYTHING :P

Try a company called ABS... not sure what brand suspension they have but I got my slotted rotors of them cheaper than everyone else I asked.

vee_dub
14-06-2006, 04:23 PM
$400 a pair are very good price for bilstein. But there are higher range ie: sports one. It's stiffer and suitable for more compressed springs. I think they more expensive.

I think this might help you.

http://www.bilstein.com/mistore/ymm_productf.php?company_id=100484&year=1977&makes=VOLKSWAGEN&model_id2=2993&model_id=&brand_id=&profile_id=&storeYMM=storeYMM&storedimg.x=18&storedimg.y=12

cooper
14-06-2006, 05:30 PM
I have just put bilstein's in my audi 80 and they are great. I would recommend going for these over pedders, worth the extra$.

el_foolio
14-06-2006, 05:37 PM
i got some rear konis lying about the place.

Golf Loon
14-06-2006, 05:44 PM
Dont be scared of second hand anything. Everything on your car is second hand. Better to have previously loved uprated shocks than original knackered ones. Thats my opinion.

GoLfMan
14-06-2006, 06:36 PM
ive heard you can rebuild konis? so if i can find second hand koni's it'd be better than monroe?

gtimk5
14-06-2006, 07:43 PM
If You buy s/hand Konis, to rebuild, check the shaft to make sure they aren't bent, by turning them. Also thoroughly check the chrome coating. If it is damaged then its to the bin they go! Fronts are prone to bending and above all remember it's buyer beware!

GoLfMan
14-06-2006, 07:59 PM
i heard that about Koni's that the shafts are prone to bending... thats why i was put onto bilsteins as they are stronger?

gtimk5
15-06-2006, 07:11 AM
When a place that I worked for a place that prepared 2
Mitubishi Lancers and a capella for rallies (dirt) we used to fit Bilsteins on the thursday and pull em out bent the following week! That was a long time ago. In Gunter, my competition Golf I have run Bilsteins, revalved to Golf rallye spec. Done by Heasmans in NSW. I haven't had any problems, though my way of lowering was to raise the srtut tower tops so as not to lose travel which can damage the lower valves in the shocker and bend the shafts. I also ran adjustable spring platforms with micro springs

worm
15-06-2006, 12:32 PM
i heard that about Koni's that the shafts are prone to bending... thats why i was put onto bilsteins as they are stronger?

Dude... who told you that crap, honestly. Unless your a fully sick drifter and hit curbs u aint going to bend shocks.... Just get whatever you can afford its as simple as that!

GoLfMan
15-06-2006, 12:36 PM
dont worry mate i will get what i can afford. it will either be Koni's, Bilstiens or monroe's we'll see how we go, see what i can find for what price

worm
15-06-2006, 12:38 PM
Good job.... Another golf to race up the yara blvd ;)

GoLfMan
15-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Good job.... Another golf to race up the yara blvd ;)
lol yeh!!! it will be interesting as we will have the same set up... i look forward to it.

btw how do you get smilies in your replies.

worm
15-06-2006, 01:16 PM
Brackie has just enable them..... There is no panel with smilies it just auto puts them in when you type in a smilie using the Brackets and dots

ie: "; )" = ;)

GoLfMan
15-06-2006, 03:05 PM
cheers mate ;)
i look forward to giving you a run for your money next year when i get my P's, should be an interesting result considering that we both have the same setup. stuff yarra bulevard go mountain highway from the bottom of mt dandenong to the top :)

worm
15-06-2006, 03:45 PM
cheers mate ;)
stuff yarra bulevard go mountain highway from the bottom of mt dandenong to the top :)

Would be better of going from top to bottom..... more fun with low powered cars.

And doesnt your car have a 1.6 litre in it :???: ..... oh, and you will be a noob p plater :D

GoLfMan
15-06-2006, 03:53 PM
you gotta get up to the top first :? there isnt that much power difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 :)
yup noob p plater that'll kick your ar$e :D

worm
15-06-2006, 04:32 PM
How much power does your 1.6 put out. From memory they put out 55hp stock.... and my 1.8 puts out 90hp stock... almost double!
I win haha

GoLfMan
15-06-2006, 05:04 PM
mine puts out 55kw stock ;) it will be bout 80 odd kw when im done with it :) its not the size that counts its how you use it :P

jaffa
16-06-2006, 01:34 PM
See if you can get some of these and then tell me what they are like

http://www.proven.com.au/download/spax-golf-mk1-rsx.pdf