PDA

View Full Version : Dreary looking Passat lights...

Golf Houso
23-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Hey there passat people.

My mother has a 2000 Passat 20v sport in black magic, nice car. But, the front headlights look a bit worse for wear. They have small scratches and chips on them. Is there any way to get rid of them i.e polish etc? Or do I have to fork out some moolah for a new set?

Cheers, Branko

Jmac
23-12-2007, 10:37 PM
They dont polish mate they will look worse. Try my friend Bill at Unique parts in Melbourne next day delivery . Ph number 97017369.
Very good and decent prices mention my name - Jimmy from Brisbane and he will know who you mean mate.
Jimmymac

Golf Houso
24-12-2007, 04:41 PM
Oh right, thx for the tip.

I'll look into it thx!

neil
24-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Are they a perspex cover??

I recall with the Denning landseer coaches the front corner windows
were made of perspex and would be hard to see out of after a period
of time from the wash brushes. We used to polish with Brasso. The fine
grit in the polish would take out the fine scratches.
If they are perspex try a small area with the brasso first and see how you go.

Golf Houso
24-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Do you mean as in does the car have plastic covers on the lenses? Or are the actual units made of perspex? Well its just a standard light unit from a B5 passat, not the fancy clear ones if thats what you mean... ?

BL33SU
24-12-2007, 09:59 PM
you need 2 buy some plastic cleaner.. mine r prety dirty too

neil
25-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Do you mean as in does the car have plastic covers on the lenses? Or are the actual units made of perspex? Well its just a standard light unit from a B5 passat, not the fancy clear ones if thats what you mean... ?

I'm not sure what the lens is made of. With my jetta its some kind of
plastic I think. or a kind of perspex ?? don't know. All I do know is Brasso
works on perspex and takes the finer scratches out.
Maybe you could try a small amount on an area not noticeable to much
and see what happens.

With the passat being your mums she most likely has some Brasso under her sink. Most mums do.

Golf Houso
25-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Hahaha she's not that kind of mum...

Hmnn I'm pretty sure the lights are made of the same material as the later models. I'll go out and get a can of brasso and give the passat a wipe up when I finish what I'm doing atm.

Cheers.

neil
26-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Hahaha she's not that kind of mum...

Hmnn I'm pretty sure the lights are made of the same material as the later models. I'll go out and get a can of brasso and give the passat a wipe up when I finish what I'm doing atm.

Cheers.

Dont just wipe over.
Polish as though you have a mark to get out of paint. Like a cut and polish polish.
Only a small area first.
let us know how you go.

zjm
28-12-2007, 03:10 AM
meguiars makes a plastic polish and its real good stuff

Jmac
28-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Brasso???? That ll score for sure. I know it destroys engines when put in. We had a dub with a malicious claim and it had brasso poured into it. Scores the bores and camshaft bearing caps. If it does this whats it going to do to plastic?????:???: