PDA

View Full Version : How low have you gone?

evorobin
14-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Well at the moment I've decided that despite the ****e condition of our roads I'd really like to lower the mk2 about 35mm from std. Not being a fan of the H&R spring, koni yellow dampered mk2 I've driven I wondered what you were using?

Was decided on FK Highsport for 400 pounds from the UK but someone just said they are crap.... :?

Golf Loon
14-06-2005, 08:28 PM
16v shocks and springs. Firmer more controlled ride and a slight drop 20mm i think?

evorobin
14-06-2005, 11:07 PM
16v shocks and springs. Firmer more controlled ride and a slight drop 20mm i think?

From memory it's only 10mm. The G60 was more again. I reckon I'll just get some new dampers and lowering springs from GSF at this rate...

h100vw
15-06-2005, 04:56 AM

From memory it's only 10mm. The G60 was more again. I reckon I'll just get some new dampers and lowering springs from GSF at this rate...

I can recommend Weitec kits from C & R Enterprises.

The cheap kits from GSF aren't that good IMO. Depending on how long you can wait, I have a set of Nothelle springs in my garage. I'll probably end up bringing them in the container when we move to Adelaide.

The G60 is lower again compared to a 16V. TBH I was a bit ticked off after I fitted the Weitec to the G60. The std suspension literally glided everwhere, it was beautiful. The weitec felt good but the std stuff was really supple.

It is very easy to get it wrong. I did on my mk3 16V, I got some Eibach springs cheap at a show, then bought a Bilstein Kit for the shocks. They just weren't stiff enough to control the springs. On a motorway it was ok but round town a couple of close bumps felt like a roller coaster. I have now sacked it and got a full Weitec kit.

At the end of the day lowering a car is going to compromise comfort. How much compromise you can accept, will make up your mind which way to go.

Gavin

alex g
15-06-2005, 06:24 PM
koni yellow top adjustable and full custom springs ,35mm its hardly worth taking off your shocks :lol: :lol:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/dubstarmk2/praise.jpg

Golf Loon
15-06-2005, 06:27 PM
what about you dubstarmk2? Anything to say on the subject of lowering a Mk2?

alex g
15-06-2005, 06:30 PM
go as low as truken possible
pants to comfort

finemk1
16-06-2005, 08:05 PM
im in a Mk1 2door running H&R coil overs allround these puppies are FIRM me girl friend needs to pee often when we drive about. rear tends to slide out heaps mainly in the wet but get get drifting in dry to, around tight corners rear inner wheel usually allways lifts up, and absolutly no bouncing or shudders when pooping burnouts just grips and go's. downside is the price, i paid $3000 fitted

if u have the budget i reckomend a coilover kit if not i dont know, maybe just cut springs will keep u happy, ahahahahhahaahaha or not

Roscoe
16-06-2005, 08:27 PM
The 35mm option works fine as long as you dont go on really rough dirt roads. Any lower than that will spoil the handling as it screws up the roll centres. Mine is an earlier Digifant Mk2 with small bumpers, the plastic spoiler on the front scrapes on steep driveways but it doesn't dammage it. Ride is slightly bumpier than standard but still bearable. Handling is sweet! :o) I am planning to put coil overs in mine for the track and currently have G-max springs and shocks if you're interested in second hand?

mrgolf
17-06-2005, 09:44 AM
I have H&R 35mm springs and Koni yellows in mine, and it is a great compromise. The only drawback is slighlt less stability on high speed bumpy back road runs. But only when it gets really bumpy. Personally, I think if you want to be able to use the car daily, 35mm is the max you should drop. Our Vento is 40mm lower and it is noticably more difficult to drive in car parks with speed bumps. Might need to bump up pressure in front shocks a bit

ps. lots of old skoolers here. more than I expected.