PDA

View Full Version : Passat V6 FSI Highline? (R36 written off)

bosc0
05-05-2016, 12:40 AM
Long story short - I've just had my R36 wagon written off (RIP) and was very keen to get another until i saw the prices of the Passat V6 FSI Highline with generally much lower kms. One in particular that i'm rather fond of and about ready to pull the trigger on tomorrow. I loved the R36, but was always cautious of the gearbox as it was a little notchy.

Can anyone fill me in to what the differences are between the MY11 and the MY12.5 aside from the climate control look?
Does the V6 pop when changing gears like the R36?

Basically i'm looking for a little support as i'm under such a time constraint to get a new car, so much so i haven't even driven a V6 FSI Highline yet and this one being in the interstate i don't think i will prior to placing a deposit.

Pro's;
Newer
Bluetooth connectivity (more advanced)
Lower kms
Shape of the front
Fuel consumption (6th gear ratio)
BIIIG sunroof
More of a sleeper
Lower springs and more aggressive wheels will change the look completely
Active suspension
Steering wheel controls

Con's;
Seats
Lack of steering wheel paddles
No satnav
Not an R model

I think i need help from someone who's owned both. Please :)

prn31
05-05-2016, 01:56 PM
I own an R36 wagon but I did drive a MY12 V6 Highline at the time of purchase, which I quite liked. The R36 feels more special but the ride is hard. The Highline is better with its DCC - easier to live with. Also more economical with different 5th and 6th gear and brake regeneration tech. It doesn't sound as good as the R36 though.

I think the RNS510 sat nav became standard on MY12.5 or MY13, but it can be retrofitted. Power tailgates and RVCs are quite common, ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), Park Assist and Panoramic Roofs are not.

You can get the Sports Pack option, which has the black Vicenzia wheels, sports seats (not as good as R36 and only heated at the front) and steering wheel paddles.

The biggest issue is that there just aren't that many out there compared to the R36. There are two black V6 Highlines with Sports Pack on Carsales. Good luck... :-)

booba
05-05-2016, 05:44 PM
I own an R36 wagon but I did drive a MY12 V6 Highline at the time of purchase, which I quite liked. The R36 feels more special but the ride is hard. The Highline is better with its DCC - easier to live with. Also more economical with different 5th and 6th gear and brake regeneration tech. It doesn't sound as good as the R36 though.

I think the RNS510 sat nav became standard on MY12.5 or MY13, but it can be retrofitted. Power tailgates and RVCs are quite common, ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control), Park Assist and Panoramic Roofs are not.

You can get the Sports Pack option, which has the black Vicenzia wheels, sports seats (not as good as R36 and only heated at the front) and steering wheel paddles.

The biggest issue is that there just aren't that many out there compared to the R36. There are two black V6 Highlines with Sports Pack on Carsales. Good luck... :-)

satnav, rvc and power tailgate standard from 12.5 fyi.. i have all options on my my12.5 except grandpa woodgrain and i love it :)

prn31
05-05-2016, 11:06 PM
satnav, rvc and power tailgate standard from 12.5 fyi.. i have all options on my my12.5 except grandpa woodgrain and i love it :)

Yes, fully optioned and it's Night Blue Metallic - the ultimate B7 Highline... :love: (though I do prefer the Kansas wheels to the Vicenzias). I thought you had posted a photo of your B7 on the forum but I can't find it.

I bet there isn't another Night Blue B7 V6 Highline wagon with those options out there!

bosc0
31-05-2016, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reply's, I think I'd actually made up my mind before I posted it anyway.

Picked up a MY11 Passat V6 wagon from Canberra and drove it home. Pretty happy with it so far, but needs a few things to finish it off.

The seats are horrible, leather quality is poor and they have no support. I'll be looking into throwing either some R36 front seats in or maybe some later model sport seats once I've sat in some.
Same deal with the steering wheel. I really miss the paddle shift. I'm hoping it's as easy as getting a new wheel (Golf R) and replacing the current one...... ?
Suspension needs lowering. Does anyone know how the DCC functions? Is it built into the struts? Would replacing them with coilovers make the setting defunct? If so, can anyone recommend a good set of springs?
Wheels. The guards need 19's. Undecided what style I'll go for.
I'd love a R-line front bumper extension also. I know it's not going to be cheap, but worth it!
Haven't looked under the car yet to see what exhaust options are, but a little more noise would be great. Removal of a centre muffler (if there is one) could be an option.

Those of you with a highline, how do you find the RVC? The quality is really poor especially at night. Much worse than the R36. Maybe it's got to do with the reverse lights. LED upgrade maybe.

I've also noticed a big difference not having the Xenon headlights. Part of me wishes I'd found the right R36 again.

All this said, I'm really enjoying the Bluetooth connectivity and also the way the car drives. It actually seems more powerful than the R36, such a sleeper grandpa wagon. The sunroof is fantastic and the standard speaker system is almost up to par of the Dynaudio I had before.

All in all, I'm happy. Won't be a forever car anyway.

I'd appreciate any tips on places to buy parts specifically for the B7. Aftermarket or factory.

Peace!

snerlo
02-06-2016, 12:07 PM
check out ebay for wrecked cars mate, specifically to do with the seats if you want R36 pews, but I don't know how the electronics marry up. I know what you mean with the reversing camera at night. Mine is similar. Maybe it might be something to do with my bright LED numberplate lights, not certain but I live with it as I don't reverse at night time a huge amount. With regards to the headlights, there are aftermarket styles out there too so just have a google around. Another option is to place a quality seat of halogen bulbs in there. I am currently waiting on some to try in the projector lights of my Ford Territory for this very same reason so hopefully the better and brighter bulbs will make a difference. Will let you know if you like.

zestorer
22-08-2016, 12:17 PM
I too have just gotten a 2011 V6 Passat Wagon, and am looking into the same things.

I have some LED globes for the RVC to see if that makes a difference. Hopefully get them today and will see if that makes a difference and maybe even do some comparison pictures. The reverse lens seems to be quite small in comparison to the R36 and looking at the boots of the 2 cars the R36 boot has a different shape so you can't just change the lights to them for a larger brighter reverse.

As for changing to coilovers, from my memory of reading on these the DCC will be built into the strut and it changes the damper control, so just change the springs to something a little lower, coilovers wouldn't give much of a difference.

I have also noticed my tailgate struts are a bit weak so I am getting new ones... but have to find the right ones, thats another today job to measure and do some communication with a supplier.

I am also (due to wear) going to change the front disc's and pads and fit braided lines. Did my TT a while ago and the difference was chalk and cheese, much greater bite on initial pressures, no spongy brakes for me.

I also want a better steering wheel, flat bottomed preferably, just need to find one that has all the buttons and flappy paddles, so probably going to VW to look at cars and work out what is what.

Simon