PDA

View Full Version : b7 questions

James b
03-05-2016, 10:13 AM
I have a 010 b7 I think, its a wagon the 1st problem is its using a ltr of oil every 1,500 ks is this normal.
The second one, is that some times it just stops for a moment than it starts again. The car yard says their is nothing wrong with it. Do you think it needs a gearbox oil change, or just a service
The 3rd one is can I use Penrite hpr 5 5w 40 extra 10 in it. Or is it to thick, I have 145,000+ on it
Thanks in advance

Hillbilly
03-05-2016, 02:42 PM
Is it a diesel or a petrol and is it a Bluemotion ( stop start model) Not a lot of info there to go on.
My 2011 TDI doesnt use any oil between yearly services

James b
03-05-2016, 04:26 PM
Sorry, its a 1.8 turbo petrol no its not a stop/start mod.

James b
19-05-2016, 08:40 AM
It turns out its a low fuel pressure problem, looks like I need a new fuel pump. Are there any good after market ones out there ????

h100vw
19-05-2016, 09:48 AM
It turns out its a low fuel pressure problem, looks like I need a new fuel pump. Are there any good after market ones out there ????

There's plenty on ebay that will work.

Look the number up on here Audi Teile Katalog (Pats Catalog) (http://partscatalog.info/audi/en/?i=cat_vag_models) and google it

ozrcboy
03-06-2016, 12:29 AM
Penrite HPR 5w-40 should be fine. The spec you need to meet is VW502/505. The HPR5w-40 does meet it. If you are still burning oil Nulon will have a product which is cheaper.

Hillbilly
03-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Personally I would stick to VW APPROVED oils. Like Penrite and Castrol Edge being the more common ones. Very few Nulon are actually approved. The exception is 5w-30 which recently gained approval.

The rest say "Suitable For" which is vastly different to "Approved for"

May not matter at your cars age and km's but for anything close to warranty it wouldnt pay to ask VW for anything if not using correct oils.

ozrcboy
04-06-2016, 10:01 PM
After reading this thread I don't think a VW warranty in Australia is worth jack: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/dreaded-cylinder-4-misfire-102165.html I think "vastly different" is probably overstating it Hillbilly - VW Approved just means they were prepared to pay VW the affiliation fee (some of which VW may have used to test the product - but they may have just read the indepedent test report) and sign up to whatever the commercial terms are to be on that list.

Hillbilly
04-06-2016, 10:31 PM
After reading this thread I don't think a VW warranty in Australia is worth jack: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/dreaded-cylinder-4-misfire-102165.html I think "vastly different" is probably overstating it Hillbilly - VW Approved just means they were prepared to pay VW the affiliation fee (some of which VW may have used to test the product - but they may have just read the indepedent test report) and sign up to whatever the commercial terms are to be on that list.

Your car, your money, but I know what I choose to use as both of mine have done under 30,000km

Umai Naa!!
04-06-2016, 11:20 PM
That warranty will be worth a whole lot more to you when they tear it up over using the wrong engine oil.

ozrcboy
04-06-2016, 11:46 PM
Folks - the OP noted the passat is six years old and has done 150k - so warranty isn't really an issue.

That being said, under Australian Consumer Law your warranty is protected provided you use an appropriate product. And a product isn't appropriate if the manufacturer says it is (that would give them monopoly power) - it is appropriate if it meets the standard the manufacturer has published - ie VW502/504/505/507 etc.

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this question: Do you genuinely feel the VW Approved gives higher assurance of the quality of the product, or do you see it purely as a warranty issue?

Umai Naa!!
05-06-2016, 07:52 AM
It's not the quality, it's what's in it.

The the emissions controls, catalytic converter, etc are pretty much designed to work around certain chemical by-products and reactions that occur when the approved oils are burnt through the combustion process. All engines burn oil to varying extents, mind you.

ozrcboy
06-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Must admit would have thought additives to allow for the Cat/DFP etc would be part of the VW spec, so if something meets the VW spec good to go. You think VW approved requires things (in the oil - not commercial terms etc) in addition to the spec?