PDA

View Full Version : Any one dare to get a VCDS with HEX-NET Professional USB & WiFi Interface

LunchboxVRS
26-04-2016, 09:51 PM
As the title suggest has anyone dared to lash and and buy a VCDS® with HEX-NET® Professional
USB & WiFi Interface. Or the lesser 10 Vin only version

I have the the hex cable but no longer have a pic laptop and have gone Apple all round.
OBD eleven would be a nice Bluetooth option but it's only for android.

Interested to see how it goes wirelessly with a iPad.
Seems it uses the Internet browsers to make changes using VCDS mobile.

jimmyjamesred
18-12-2016, 06:35 AM
I got one and went the 10 VIN option. I'm using it on my car and my sisters. I thought 10 VINs would do me ok. RT do sell extra VINs apparently if you get stuck later. I tried using VCDS mobile on my MacBook but ended up running the software via USB in Parallels. I'm a newb to VCDS and just found it easier to use the same interface and the walkthroughs I was following. I'd probably be able to use mobile ok now.

EDIT: There is a table here which details what can be done via VCDS mobile vs what you need the app for: Functions - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Functions)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The_Hawk
18-12-2016, 01:21 PM
I've been tempted to trade up to the WiFi dongle, but honestly it seems like a lot of expense over the USB one for not a lot of gain.

I'm also on a Mac so am running Parallels, up until recently it gave me no issues. For some reason the connection got flakey in one of the releases so I moved to a boot camp install instead where it works perfectly. I've also got a Windows machine flosting about (my daughters) if I get really stuck :P

LunchboxVRS
18-12-2016, 01:57 PM
I'm running a 5k iMac and an iPad Pro. I have kept my old laptop for VCDS but it's on its last legs so I need something more portable.
Unless some one has come up with a lightning to USB plug that works.

DV52
18-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Jim: I started my OBD adventure on this forum with a HEX+CAN (seems like a long time ago - but it was only 3 years). I've since upgraded to a HEX-NET (unlimited VIM) and I wouldn't go back! HEX-NET is much faster than my old cable and it's way more versatile when used without the cable! I kept my HEX+CAN is case I wanted to revert back, but it's been sitting in my tool tray unused - the only time I fire-it-up is to update the firmeware. I'm considering selling it - might advertise it on the VWW for-sale thread if I can get over the emotional attachment!!:facepalm:

Don

IanPGonzaga
18-12-2016, 03:33 PM
so how much is the extra licenses? because guaranteed i've already stuck my Hex-CAN in more than 10 cars already - and counting

LOL

DV52
18-12-2016, 04:46 PM
so how much is the extra licenses? because guaranteed i've already stuck my Hex-CAN in more than 10 cars already - and counting

LOL

Ian: According to the current prices on Ross Tech's webpage, the differential cot between HEX-NET with 10 Vin versus Unlimited VIN is $150 USD.

I suspect that if you purchased a limited VIN HEX-NET initially and then upgraded later, the upgrade price would be (should be?) marginally higher - but I'm not sure of the upgrade price

Don

Seafarer28
19-12-2016, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=DV52;1210570]Jim: I started my OBD adventure on this forum with a HEX+CAN (seems like a long time ago - but it was only 3 years). I've since upgraded to a HEX-NET (unlimited VIM) and I wouldn't go back! HEX-NET is much faster than my old cable and it's way more versatile when used without the cable! I kept my HEX+CAN is case I wanted to revert back, but it's been sitting in my tool tray unused - the only time I fire-it-up is to update the firmeware. I'm considering selling it - might advertise it on the VWW for-sale thread if I can get over the emotional attachment!!:facepalm:

Don[/QUO

Hi Don,

I have a mate who is looking for a second hand HEX-USB+CAN, if you do decide to sell give me a shout.

TonyB

The_Hawk
19-12-2016, 03:47 PM
I've since upgraded to a HEX-NET (unlimited VIM) and I wouldn't go back! HEX-NET is much faster than my old cable and it's way more versatile when used without the cable!

Interesting that it's that much faster? How so? Just more responsive? I would have thought that the limiting factor was teh OBD port rather than the adaptor.

I got my HEX-USB+CAN cable back in 2010 (I just looked up the receipt and note the price hasn't changed either) for US$349 + shipping bringing it to a total of US$408.09. The dollar was near parity back then too :D

Since then it's been plugged into many (many many) different cars from people visiting for little tweaks here and there. I don't think the 10 VIN thing was even an option back then. Honestly, money well spent for what it's done over the years.

kamold
19-12-2016, 05:39 PM
I use my cable fairly regularly and really can't complain about speed. If you had a workshop and can't wait the 5mins for an autoscan to finish maybe it's worth the upgrade?
But wireless has it's own issues and in my experience with bt vaspc interfaces (and more generally with other rf radios) there's no substitute for an actual cable when it comes to data transfer.
However I've not ever seen the new product so can't give any direct advice other than to as always applaud rosstech for continuing to invest in their product and support their users worldwide 👏

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

DV52
19-12-2016, 06:43 PM
Interesting that it's that much faster? How so? Just more responsive? I would have thought that the limiting factor was teh OBD port rather than the adaptor.

I got my HEX-USB+CAN cable back in 2010 (I just looked up the receipt and note the price hasn't changed either) for US$349 + shipping bringing it to a total of US$408.09. The dollar was near parity back then too :D

Since then it's been plugged into many (many many) different cars from people visiting for little tweaks here and there. I don't think the 10 VIN thing was even an option back then. Honestly, money well spent for what it's done over the years.

The_Hawk: Hi again - First, I must apologise if I have not been sufficiently clear - English is a cow of a language in which to express any assertion and alas it has a second disadvantage of being it my second language :cool:!!

So, to be clear- I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with HEX+CAN cables. But - and there is always a but - the design of HEX+CAN cables must be some where around 20 years old now and as was demonstrated in the "Ross-Tech" firmware patch that was needed to fix the compatibility problem with MIBII, the design of HEX+CAN cables is approaching its limit as VW's control modules become ever more complex and ever more up-to-date!!
HEX+CAN versus HEX-NET - A SPEED TEST!!
As far as my claim about the relative performance of HEX-NET versus HEX+CAN (still a good cable), perhaps an easy way to demonstrate this is through the simple process of an autoscan.

So Here's the broad basis of my speed-test: I've just completed two auto-scans on my mk7: one with my HEX-NET cable and again with my HEX+CAN cable. For each run, I have tried to keep all the variables the same (i.e. same car, same laptop, same RT version software) - the only difference was the cable.

Unfortunately, VWW's word limit policy won't allow me to post-up the full results of 2 x autoscans (in the one post), but here's a cut-down section of the auto-scan result using my HEX+CAN cable

Monday,19,December,2016,18:31:56:03521
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 16.8.4.2 (x64)
Data version: 20161129 DS267.0
www.Ross-Tech.com (http://www.Ross-Tech.com)

VIN: License Plate: SPEED TEST
Mileage: 26276km-16327mi Repair Order: hex can

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chassis Type: AU (5Q0)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 10 15 16 17 19 42 44 52 5F
VIN: Mileage: 26276km-16327miles
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

End-------------------------(Elapsed Time: 03:23)--------------------------

And here's a cut-down section of the auto-scan result using my HEX-NET cable

Monday,19,December,2016,18:36:16:16808
VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Running on Windows 10 x64
VCDS Version: 16.8.4.2 (x64) HEX-NET CB: 0.4323.4
Data version: 20161129 DS267.0
www.Ross-Tech.com (http://www.Ross-Tech.com)

Chassis Type: AU (5Q0)
Scan: 01 02 03 08 09 10 15 16 17 19 42 44 52 5F
VIN: Mileage: 26276km-16327miles
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: OK 0000
10-Park/Steer Assist -- Status: OK 0000
15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
5F-Information Electr. -- Status: OK 0000

End----------(Elapsed Time: 01:13, VBatt start/end: 12.0V/12.0V)-----------

The important part of the auto-scan is the last line. HEX-NET was almost three times as fast as HEX+CAN in polling the 14 x control modules!

OK- the difference between 3 minutes and 1 minute isn't much in terms of actual elapsed time - I hear you saying! Very true, but it does mount-up!

But the real performance difference with HEX-NET becomes abundantly clear when completing adaptation channel maps for control modules with large channel-count. Here's a god example with the BCM from my car which has a channel count of about 1,800 (and this is for a mid-level BCM)

Again, I can only post a cut-down portion of the admap because of the word-count limit! Note a previous version of RT software was used for this admap

;SW:5Q0-937-084-N HW:5Q0-937-084-N --- Cent. Elect.
;Component:BCM MQBAB M H14 0106, Coding:03001842C24102FB0FA4400000040308100A0000000 00000000000000000
;EV_BCMCONTI,010001,EV_BCMBOSCH_VW37.rod
;Thursday,15,September,2016,22:30:46:16808
;VCDS Version: Release 16.8.2 (x64) Data version: 20160902 DS256

;VCID: 43C68A64CAD4705AE8-8016
IDE00002-Transport mode,active
IDE01268-ENG115835-Windshield wiper-Adaptives Nachwischen bei SRA,not active
IDE01268-ENG116609-Windshield wiper-Anzahl Betaetigungen Frontwaschanlage pro SRA Aktivierung,0
Elapsed Time: 01:42

Yes- it's true: Just 01:42 to poll every possible channel in the BCM and to return about 1.800 entries - man, my HEX-NET runs like a cut-cat!!!

Don

DV52
19-12-2016, 07:13 PM
Hi Don,

I have a mate who is looking for a second hand HEX-USB+CAN, if you do decide to sell give me a shout.

TonyB

TonyB: Thanks for the reply - As I said, my trusty HEX+CAN was my first OBDII "love-affair" - I still have to go through the 5 stages of grieving before I make such a traumatic decision!! :facepalm:. But I will make contact if (when?) my emotional fortitude gets stronger!! :rolleyes:

Don

The_Hawk
19-12-2016, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all that. I figured you meant it was faster to read stuff but I didn't really expect quite that much faster!

That would make the decision to buy one over the other that much harder (given the limits of the WiFi version)... but speed is very nice.

DV52
19-12-2016, 07:25 PM
I use my cable fairly regularly and really can't complain about speed. If you had a workshop and can't wait the 5mins for an autoscan to finish maybe it's worth the upgrade?
But wireless has it's own issues and in my experience with bt vaspc interfaces (and more generally with other rf radios) there's no substitute for an actual cable when it comes to data transfer.
However I've not ever seen the new product so can't give any direct advice other than to as always applaud rosstech for continuing to invest in their product and support their users worldwide 

kamold: I'm getting very nervous responding to another moderator (only kidding)!! :rolleyes:

I must agree with the underlying sentiment in your reply - which is (I guess) that value is in the eye of the purchaser!

HEX-NET cables are not inexpensive (even the limited VIN version is expensive). Whether the cost is worth the purchase is ultimately a personal decision about "value". The decision to buy is made more stark if the potential buyer already has a perfectly good cable!

In my case, a unique set of circumstances arose which resulted in a value proposition that was impossible to ignore! Best decision that I have ever made - to get my HEX-NET!

Don

kamold
20-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Fair point about adaptation channel Maps Don.
Not owning an mqb platform vehicle my controllers have far fewer channels.