PDA

View Full Version : The Official Mk7 Golf DSG / Clutch / Shudder / Squeal Issues Thread

Pages : [1] 2

mummbles
15-05-2014, 07:12 PM
Hi All,
A number of times over the last few days I have noticed a squealing sound coming from my Golf when moving off from a standstill.
It only happens until it moves into 2nd gear, so maybe a second.
Sounds to me like the clutch is slipping.

Anyway, had it in yesterday for the EPB update and had them have a look at it.
End result, car is booked in in a fortnight for a new gearbox.
Will keep this thread updated.

Anyone else had something similar?
I've read about a few GTIs in Europe that have had a similar sound caused by the dual mass flywheel.

Edit: Forgot to add this is a 6 month old Comfortline with 6500 kms on it. Purchased new.

Snail Style
15-05-2014, 07:25 PM
Have seen the clutches cause this :P As the bearing is onboard in there. Hopefully the box fixes it!!

Diesel_vert
15-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Oh dear... a replacement gearbox already? Sorry to hear.

Not sure whether the owner should be pleased that they didn't have to fight tooth and nail for a resolution of some sort, or disappointed that Volkswagen have yet to resolve issues with the DQ200 gearbox.

(Perhaps this is a new fault related to the MQB platform? I don't know).

Anyway, I'm sure the new gearbox will serve you better this time 'round, and hopefully, resolve the issue.

Dutch77
15-05-2014, 08:01 PM
+1 on the sentiments above, given the platforms been out for a year now it's been fairly quiet on that front.

Trouble is even if it's a rare issue, because it's VW and DSG it's going to get magnified ten fold.

Best of luck with the repairs, fingers crossed it solves the problem.

bru20vt
16-05-2014, 08:30 AM
I had the squeal from take off which was very intermittent. Happened one day a couple of times then went quiet for a few weeks, then would occur once and go quiet again. Anyway, had the clutches replaced two days ago at about 9,700kms

FTO
16-05-2014, 10:03 AM
I also hear a squeal when I hit the throttle hard, but have just assumed it was the turbo =/

mummbles
17-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Bru20vt - glad to hear you had no issues getting it sorted either.
Not sure why it takes 2 days to replace the clutches/box, but I'm glad they've volunteered to do it without any arguments.

Bit concerned hearing of others with the same issues at such low kms though!

Dutch77
17-05-2014, 09:53 AM
It's a fairly major job to change the whole gearbox unit over, but my experience is they tend to be conservative with their time estimates generally (well at least here they are anyway).

Alex31
18-05-2014, 06:09 PM
All this reading about the dq200. Almost seams silly to buy a dry clutch dsg... Regardless of what model the vw is. Glad I got a 6 speed wet clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

miller0
01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
The warranty on our 118 ran out in March 2013... We've had the gearbox recall done, but do suffer from gearbox shudder as mentioned in this thread.

Is the shudder actually damaging to the gearbox/clutch or just an annoyance?

I feel VW won't cover any fix unless we pay as the car is now outside of warranty.

mummbles
04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
OK, so I go the Golf back today and all seems to be good.
Given it didn't start playing up until it had 6500kms under its belt I will keep this thread updated if anything changes.

So job sheet says Removed transmission and replaced clutch assembly.
Parts listed as VW0AM198140L

All done under warranty and was supplied with a Mk7 TDI Highline (2200kms) while the work was being carried out.
Not a bad unit that TDI. Engine is a bit noisy but its got some go!
All in all a happy chappy. Will wait and see ;)

Rawcpoppa
05-06-2014, 10:56 PM
I think the shudder is a comfort issue and doesn't damage anything but that's just a hunch. After reading several threads I've never seen anyone post about failures due to shudder. Usually they had a mechatronic failure due to the synthetic oil thing or the shudder was more persistent through multiple gears rather than just intermittently in gear 2.

Bel
13-06-2014, 10:37 PM
The warranty on our 118 ran out in March 2013... We've had the gearbox recall done, but do suffer from gearbox shudder as mentioned in this thread.

Is the shudder actually damaging to the gearbox/clutch or just an annoyance?

I feel VW won't cover any fix unless we pay as the car is now outside of warranty.

VW seem pretty good at honouring any gearbox issues on goodwill (outside of warranty) as far as I have heard, especially if you have a good relationship with the dealership and they back you a little.

winchy
18-06-2014, 05:22 AM
My daughter came home after a 400k round trip in her Mk7 yesterday. She said it was idling rough and groaned and shuddered on take off until changing up to 2nd. Once in 2nd gear, all is good. Could this be the start of gearbox woes? Any suggestions?

AdamD
18-06-2014, 08:52 AM
My daughter came home after a 400k round trip in her Mk7 yesterday. She said it was idling rough and groaned and shuddered on take off until changing up to 2nd. Once in 2nd gear, all is good. Could this be the start of gearbox woes? Any suggestions?

If there's an issue with the mechatronic or the clutch packs that could explain the shuddering, but not rough idling. Maybe the problem is related to low-speed running. A bad batch of fuel perhaps? It might be worth taking in to the dealer to see if any fault codes have been logged; otherwise, I'd just monitor it for now.

winchy
18-06-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks mate,
I'll attempt to go go for a spin in it myself today and see what happens. It's her first car and she's mechanically challenged, so her explanation might be totally different to what I feel it is.

kk_mqb_mk7
20-06-2014, 09:38 PM
Wow. So, I'm not alone. But squeal is more prominent when under full load (e.g. 4 passengers on board). I'll be booking a slot to check it. hopefully no trouble getting the new clutch assembly too.

fopple
23-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Hey Guys,

I've had something similar to this but it wasn't DSG squeal it was a waste gate rattle (MK7 with about 10,000kms). VW Aust have a clip they can install to fix it up pretty quickly (Have mine booked in for the 30th).

Any noise is worth checking out, but it might not be the dreaded gearbox.

mummbles
24-06-2014, 01:05 AM
i had previously had the waste gate rattle fixed with the clip you mention.
There is a vast difference between a rattle that sounds much like pinging and a squeal pretty much like a slipping clutch.

kennyc
24-06-2014, 10:28 AM
OK, mine has done just over 2500k's now and I have started to notice a slight sound when taking off and accelerating at low Revs. like up to about 2000 revs.
Not sure if it is a DSG squeal or wastegate. It is kind of a rattling/pinging kind of nose which appears to be coming from the front of the car. If it is the wastegate is it the same sound as the MK6? I had the MK6 and it is not the same sound as that.
When I am going over 80 and/or the revs are higher I don't really hear it.
You can hear it just under the engine noise.
Might get it checked but doesn't happen all the time and you really need to "look for the sound".

mummbles
25-06-2014, 02:04 AM
take it into the dealer and get them to check it. they know what they are listening for.

TheGee
20-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Warranty on drive train extended to five years, do take up issue with VW as is under warranty. See web see for confirmation.

Baz 55
29-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Had my Mk 7 Golf for nearly a year.
A few months ago started to hear a squeal type noise just on the take up point on the gear change.
It would be exactly the same as a thrust bearing fault in a manual gearbox.
Only occurs after heavy city driving. Does not occur every time.
ALSO just in the last week the gearbox has failed to select a gear and just revved.
This was at slow speed both times and changing from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4.
Took it to Vw today for its first service and nothing showed up on the fault log.
To their credit they have organised to keep the car for a week, give me a loaner to check it out thoroughly.
Anyone else with a problem?

BFPO40
29-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Just out of curiosity, were you using the car in Eco mode of the driver profile select?

Baz 55
29-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Yes it was in Eco mode

mummbles
30-07-2014, 02:29 AM
sure have

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/dsg-squeal-96872.html?highlight=

b c
30-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Trying to report a "squeal" at the moment after ~20,000km - it has been happening for a while, but usually only after commuting into the CBD, and not always. Difficulty has been in repeating it. Basically happens in first on take off, and worse if I start off slow going up hill - as in bumper to bumper traffic. Occassionally hear a squeak in 3rd if it squealed in 1st.

I now have a poor quality sound recording (from my phone) that I'm taking to the dealer shortly (emailing it failed as they couldn't listen to an iPhone recording).

buzuki
30-07-2014, 06:04 PM
so we've gone from clutch shudder to clutch squeal now . . .

BFPO40
30-07-2014, 09:14 PM
Yes it was in Eco mode

When you mentioned the gear box failed to select a gear and just revved it sounded familiar.

My first mk7 Golf suffered power loss on two occasions, engine running fine but no transmission to the wheels and both occasions whilst in Eco mode, never occurred on normal, sport or custom settings.

When coasting in Eco mode - pressing the accelerator the engine revved freely with no load and there was no transmission of power to the wheels, I rolled for about 20-30m before the transmission engaged the wheels again, pressing the accelerator on/off the whole time.

I think it is a system / controller issue rather than a gearbox fault, more a bug which is why diagnostics wont pick it up but who knows

kk_mqb_mk7
01-08-2014, 06:02 PM
Latest update: Took the service crew 2 days to replicate the squealing sound. Will get my replacement clutches installed tomorrow. This time, the service advisor seems to be familiar with the problem. Maybe I wasn't the first one to complain about it at the service centre. Thankfully all my warranty claims are successful so far.

mummbles
01-08-2014, 08:08 PM
I've done about 3000kms since the clutches were replaced and so far so good.
Here is hoping it is a permanent fix.

Baz 55
01-08-2014, 11:01 PM
My my14 comfort line 90tsi started to have a squeal on take off about 8000k.
Only happens after heavy stop start traffic. Not evident all the time but when it does happen it is just when the clutch engages.
Reminds me of a thrust bearing problem I had years ago with a Morris marina.
It has also failed to select a gear twice just recently, this was at slow speed though.
VW Epping want the car for a week to evaluate.
Giving me a loaner.
Stay tuned
But the info in this forum makes me think it too may be a clutch on the way out.

Baz 55
06-08-2014, 08:22 PM
No issue with coasting and re engaging.

b c
07-08-2014, 10:07 AM
My Highline (20k km) is in with the dealer today to check out the clutch noise. Wasn't expecting them to be able to replicate it because I only hear it after commuting into the CBD, but they have managed to do so. Clutch pack replacement under warranty is happening. Part(s) need to come from Sydney, so it won't be ready until tomorrow. Obviously a known issue, but being put down to a defective part and nothing to do with driving style.

Happy with this as I'm about to fit a towbar, and wanted the clutch issue diagnosed and sorted before anyone started saying I'd been towing the Queen Mary or something - but maybe I'm just paranoid.

Baz 55
08-08-2014, 07:20 PM
New clutch installed today. The dealer said they couldn't replicate the noise but not sure how hard they tried. However VW told them to replace the clutch. All good.
However the loaner a Mk 7 with 2000k had virtually no hesitation on take off. Mine literally chokes on take off.
I had no idea mine was so bad.
Drove home with the new clutch and it was way, way better, very little lag on take off. So I'm happy.
We'll see how it goes.
Fact Mk 7 DSG have a issue. CLUTCH SQUEAL or DSG Squeal.
Symptom, a squealing noise just on initial take off, just as clutch engages.
Usually only appears after heavy stop start driving. Usually intermittent.
Doesn't seem to be wide spread but ! Bet you these clutches will be back in Germany post haste.
The VW service experience was fantastic though.

kk_mqb_mk7
10-08-2014, 01:44 PM
Baz, your perception of VW service is SO in contrary to John Cadogan's, the biggest Aussie VW basher. :P

b c
11-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Mine was replaced too - wasn't sure they'd be able to replicate it as I only heard it at the end of my commute to the CBD. Work sheet said they found clutch noise in 1st, 3rd and 5th. That's consistent, but while I hard heard a noise in 1st and 3rd, I'd never heard it in 5th. I suspect there is now an accepted test procedure and the are worded up on how to abuse the clutch to check it out.

Anyway, clutch replaced under warranty, no arguing and no charge. Had fun in an Up while it was happening. Take off in Eco mode now seems more aggressive than before - not sure if it is just the new clutch, or if resetting the electronics did it (there was a warning that changes may be jerky until it "learnt" my driving behaviour), or if it is a preventative measure to avoid a repeat.

I'm happy with this episode. Although it seems to be a real issue, just not experienced by all.

Baz 55
11-08-2014, 07:40 PM
I use Bayford VW in Vic. From day one they have been great. My wife has a Holden blah and service experience at Watson Holden was akin to cattle being herded into a pen.
Call it as I see it.

veew
11-08-2014, 10:15 PM
I noticed this squeak about 2 weeks ago when the DSG was shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. You can hear it at 3 and 20 seconds in the audio clip. Happened a few days later as well but nothing since.

https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D1372919_70784171_997612

Drivability doesn't seem to be affected yet but I'm keeping a close eye on things.

BCK
18-08-2014, 10:30 AM
What everyone must understand, is if you payed less than $40,000 for your car on or after 2011, then you are covered under the Australian Consumer Law for all goods and services.

Meaning if you have the same issue repetitively and cannot seem to have the issue resolved in a timely manner that you deem reasonable, then you have the law backing you to receive either a refund or replacement.

But back on topic: I have a 2014 Highline/R-Line, and I have handed my car in is morning to have it looked at, as @ around 1,000 rpm when the clutch hasn't fully engaged in 1st, it will shudder. It's most obvious after driving gently for a long time (having my boss with me for the day as an example) and had noticed the mild shudder at about 2,500k's or so.

I was was given a golf 6 TDi wagon, and have noticed the creep is COMPLETELY different! With my car as I come to a stop I back off the brake to smooth out my driving, but at 5-10kph the clutch re-engages and the car seems to add throttle to start creeping, but his is annoying as I have to brake, then back my foot off the pedal a bit so I don't lurch to a stop, but as the car almost stops the clutch engages jerking me forward and meaning I have to apply more pressure again!

is anyone else noticing this??? I'm not seeing this in the 6 speed wet clutch TDi they gave me!

GTI_PAPA
05-09-2014, 07:59 PM
Hey guys,

I've just started noticing a noise upon changing gears (1st to 2nd to 3rd only), thought it sounded like a blow-off valve but upon reading this, i might have dreaded DSG squeal. Seems more prevalent when cold and going up hill, better once warmed up . Will monitor it and if it continues might have to pay a visit to dealer. Bit of a disappointment when car has just hit 1500km's...

veew
05-09-2014, 11:12 PM
I visited the service centre last Wednesday, service technician sat in the car and thinks it is the waste gate valve or something. There is a known issue on that so they're going to replace the part next week, takes about an hour once the car is cool. I'll let you guys know if it makes a difference.

mummbles
06-09-2014, 10:57 AM
That sounds like the waste gate rattle issue.
I also had that and was fixed with a new version of the clip.
That one was easy to test for though, just do 100 on the freeway, put the window down and listen for the can full of gravel being shaken. Plenty of clips around of this and it seems very common on the mk7

veew
11-09-2014, 10:30 AM
Just got my car back from the dealer, was told my car wasn't applicable for the waste gate rattle TPI (technical product information). The service technician dug a bit deeper and it seems there were TPIs released in July '14 for 2 things, one of which was clutch packs which resulted in symptoms similar to mine (ie. a noise occurring b/w 30-50km/hr).

GTI_PAPA, I would recommend getting your dealer to look into it, better have it changed earlier than later. I didn't notice any drivability issues but am glad I took it into the dealer when I did.

The parts have been ordered, I'll get them fitted in 3 or so weeks so I'll update once thats done.

GeckoZAO
14-11-2014, 12:06 PM
Good to see some discussion like this!...
any one got similar noise to mine?
see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEXY0OwVmSg&ytsession=uNOqlJoosbw8cCqB1dphcGj7KTF9ZKVMXKnmD-5QLs7D3UQ6S1Qr8gXUzNLLGkDSgG-dPmUTCcUdRzW3PyALOb8NrorSe3TzU_UO8cZu81wa-daSb_m34pRqU3WN4ALEZemni8RKD-LL_eNcuwtvJP5kh6j-oPAUjQfj_7lT6DkrsUd-oFwQrqBhT1cRsNFQ68nwEJMycfT4UGyeMy0gK7gDr3M6xWHJ9w XmVfgfNAU9KnqJg6JF27WUxxkoHELt-un4w756N0MXRVaOkLJJi_26Omw3h2Sw0UwMfQ73dTY9MbpiivC u6iPHzJqbk2A2cchKUkHgEAOqWzqfF2_qzcuTFFCo5CasZcioC axFWBZLCAqDTn5SYKGsFqXd6aZ1p-kp__LvZPw9LZRG9GAIhfj6cUVC7XXnZLjxAl65UwVFvTcxUUbe qUEUq48rOjNbDUQVrBwtyDAZ8fPdBJ9Pz93mnZD5EJEYAouvMN AZfyENwocOlAmCZwr1IbW_6awyQu1UFoVyIyN6dribCom25mJh R5rEUevaPBZerNkEbYc1_7J9h7x75FJuGweJupJKtE2ow9D7K8 Tv5I_DvTUIxgtTVNCYXu7atX0Oa9KRMqCvEbW1pVhne7pkkooh CCKlPlo22OR5aJhh6pegoIFvFiRFUVcShmwXU7BpuDceIjWKWN 5RwHmDL3DijyVNlHsUaf5FRgKtXjLyCn5czQRgJ9nr_LRqmwXq 5S4dbgYrqJAcFSO_11C6ajjE_tjObAGoU0c3MvNWOfSGvSyk8B mdx-a8h0cpSHP4UYVYuI5nSc23Uyr1gw3Tg1G0RSdkv9y0Av1fYMy3 orLdIhkyGYfyckI7Lck7ebHaS211QZ-U98MwKihWnsWXdw

GeckoZAO
14-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Dup post. soz.

veew
17-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Just an update on my car. I had the DSG clutch pack, a hose and holding clamps replaced and a campaign software update performed.

I've driven the car for the last few weeks and can safely say the DSG squeak I had has not returned.
I have, at times, noticed that I can hear the shifting mechanism of the car if I have the windows open and am driving down a one way street with buildings on either side. It sounds like how a manual transmission clutch would engage and disengage with the clutch pedal. Just noticable but fortunately not too loud and no additional concerning sounds like crunching, rattle etc.

Fingers crossed this is the last of the DSG issues I have! Should I keep this car for longer than the standard warranty period, I would definitely check the T&Cs of the extended warranty to ensure it covers the DSG transmission as well as I would expect a standard warranty to.

GeckoZao, not sure what that sounds like but did your dealer check if it was the waste gate rattle?

GTI_PAPA
30-11-2014, 11:12 AM
Hey guys,

Just an update regarding my DSG post earlier. Had the car looked at and was told the noise I am hearing is the diverter valve (tech called it blowoff valve). My reply to him was that my wife has the exact car as me and hers doesn't make this noise between gears etc. Anyway, they seem to be happy with their diagnosis, even if I'm not. At least it's on the record, and if anything should eventuate they have knowledge of the original issue. On the other hand, my car doesn't need the wastegate rattle fixed, but he did tell me that their was a TPI regarding a low rev whistle, which my car was presenting. So the car's booked in to have corrugated charcoal filter replaced next week. Let's see if it fixes the noise... Anyone else had this replaced?

kk_mqb_mk7
30-11-2014, 01:22 PM
Unfortunately the squealing noise came back. This time it is more easily induced. A few meters of creeping forward in a busy uphill traffic jam is enough to replicate the noise. Sending the car in for a second clutch pack replacement in 2 weeks time. This time, a "software re-flash" is also on the job list (previously, it was only a "reset" to factory settings). I'm getting a little frustrated with the need to send the car in again. Anyone knows any where else on the web where I can get more documentation on this?

savitar
06-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Hey Guys,

Took my 2011 118TSI DSG in for a service last week. The dealership (Rex Gorrell in Geelong) said that the clutch pack will need replacing. Now the car is a Sept 2011 model so out of warranty. They said they would go to VW to see if they would pay for some or all of the cost as the car is only just our of warranty and has a full VWSH. They said that if VW reject the claim that it would be $1800!!!!

Does anyone have any experience with getting these out of warranty claims approved? Its only 9 weeks out of warranty so hope there would be a chance but fully appreciate VW don't HAVE to do it...

Thanks...

zardoz
09-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Hey all,

After about four weeks into driving my wonderfully smooth DSG-powered 103TSI wagon, I started to feel a shudder on second just like the 118TSI I used to have. And it hasn't gone away. It's also a bit problematic when using radar cruise as it makes the car's movement very rough when slowing to a stop.

Has anyone else noticed this on the revised 7 speed DSG?

Rawcpoppa
11-12-2014, 05:42 AM
Hmmmm. Haven't seen too many threads for golf 7 judder.

When do you feel judder? On cold starts? After driving in stop start traffic for extended periods? Do you also feel judder in manual mode in gears 1 and 2?

BCK
11-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Yep,

Ive got a MY14 R-Line 103 DSG, and after 12,000k's my clutches are shuddering. Again.

They failed on me from onwards of 2,500k's, with replacement a few thousand k's later.

It IS common, dont let the dealer tell you otherwise.

Its worsened by stop-start traffic, and i dont think the stop-start feature of the motor helps, either.

My issues arise the longer i drive the car, and is prominent when taking off in "D" from first to second.

BCK
11-12-2014, 08:35 PM
The clutches are unfortunately a consumable product, just like in a manual car.

If they are worn from normal use, then there's nothing you can do. But if they are shuddering and the car has low k's, then its certainly a warranty issue, and VGA should, and i would think legally obliged to, replace them free of charge, as the issue is known to be common and the recent recall was made on your gearbox.

levendi001
11-12-2014, 10:05 PM
Shouldn't be a problem provided you have good service history. My r36 is 2009 and 2 years out of warranty and clutches were covered 100% recently. Just have s firm approach

regu
12-12-2014, 12:44 PM
Isn't there a 5 year warranty on the DSG? I tried to find it on the VW website but it looks like the page has disappeared. If your clutch packs have previously been replaced then there should be a 2 year warranty (parts only) so you might just be paying for the labour. I still think that they will do a good-will replacement.

hoi polloi
12-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with getting these out of warranty claims approved? Its only 9 weeks out of warranty so hope there would be a chance but fully appreciate VW don't HAVE to do it...

Thanks...

I think VW (Head Office) are pretty good with the goodwill stuff once the dealer has made the claim...

They replaced my airconditioning compressor when the car was a good few months out of warranty.. Saying that 9 weeks is not a lot to be out of warranty.. If VW say no to the good will take it up with the Office of Fair Trading (or your state's equivalent) and you'll probably win (because there is such thing as an implied warranty which basically states that for an item to fail so soon after the manufacturers warranty expires is unreasonable).. This is of course so long as the car hasn't been abused etc.

**bush lawyer wig off**

Regards,
- Anthony

AdamD
13-12-2014, 11:37 AM
Isn't there a 5 year warranty on the DSG? I tried to find it on the VW website but it looks like the page has disappeared.

VW was offering a 5 year goodwill warranty on the DSG for a very short period during the Fairfax troubles, but that was all kept rather quiet and died very quickly. There was an expectation that the car be book-serviced at VW dealers in order for a claim to be honoured as well.

veew
13-12-2014, 11:56 AM
VW was offering a 5 year goodwill warranty on the DSG for a very short period during the Fairfax troubles, but that was all kept rather quiet and died very quickly. There was an expectation that the car be book-serviced at VW dealers in order for a claim to be honoured as well.

You're right. I bought my car after this period and I tried to push to have the drivetrain covered by the 5 year warranty. Unfortunately I think the date that offer expired was 30th Aug/Sept 2013 (from memory). It really should've been an indefinite thing, if they really had addressed the DSG issues they wouldn't worry about a large number of claims after the 3 year period.

Addit I found these:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f40/5-year-vw-driveline-warranty-includes-dsg-80877-4.html#post902056

Ryan_R posted a VW link which indicated 5yr warranty, the link is now dead.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f40/5-year-vw-driveline-warranty-includes-dsg-80877-6.html#post944456

Thankfully sVWatt took a screenshot with Dutch providing the link in the following post.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f40/5-year-vw-driveline-warranty-includes-dsg-80877-8.html#post976586

And Dutch77 being informed VWA's extended warranty was for marketing purposes and the DSG has no inherent issues.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f40/5-year-vw-driveline-warranty-includes-dsg-80877-9.html#post977501

savitar
16-12-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks all for the replies. I have not heard back from VW yet but did follow up today and they said they would get back to me.

The car is on 54,000 KM and has a full VW service history so I would hope that there are no issues there. The last 30,000 KM has been mostly up and back MEL -> Geelong so almost no changes. Given I replaced the original single clutch on my 2004 M3 at 80,000KM and it was only about 50 worn, I would hope VW see this is a fault, not a usage issue...

Again, thanks for the responses...I will update when I get feedback from VW

savitar
20-12-2014, 01:56 PM
So an update.....After calling 4 times someone FINALLY got back to me. The guy was quite gruff for a customer service person but said that if I book it in to be done, he will THEN submit the claim so that VW can respond. So while I was waiting they were doing NOTHING....

Anywho.....he will call me back Monday to confirm if VW approved the replacement at their cost....fingers crossed.....he did say its quite likely given its only a few weeks out of warranty....

zardoz
20-12-2014, 05:09 PM
BCK, seeing the same thing and saw it after about 2500 kms as well.

It was supposed to no longer be a thing with the revised gearbox but it looks like the sales person was mistaken when I was sold the car.

Fun times ahead!

Paul_R
20-12-2014, 05:43 PM
Does anyone with the 7 speeder noticing any difference in the revs as you modulate the brake pressure?

I had a Skoda 132 for a couple of days. If you didn't press the brake hard enough, when stationary, the clutches would stay engaged. As the pedal was pressed harder the revs would drop from 1000 to 800 when the clutch fully disengaged. It doesn't seem to do it on our 6 speeder, but it made me wonder how many people slip these clutches, unwittingly, at the lights.

My impression was that auto hold was partly invented to fix this issue - auto hold (or stop/ start for that matter) won't kick in unless you push the brake hard enough to disengage the clutch. If you switch off both you can slip all day...

Diesel_vert
20-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Even though the engine speed is temporarily increased to 1000 RPM in anticipation of forward drive, it doesn't necessarily mean the clutch is being engaged, partially or otherwise - unless someone can prove to the contrary.

Rawcpoppa
20-12-2014, 11:26 PM
BCK, seeing the same thing and saw it after about 2500 kms as well.

It was supposed to no longer be a thing with the revised gearbox but it looks like the sales person was mistaken when I was sold the car.

Fun times ahead!

Why listen to sales people? They aren't technical usually. The only way to know if things changed are via part numbers on the clutches for the most part.

Brett_J
21-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Mother in law just had her clutches replaced under warranty in her 2012 90TSI, would clunk loudly on downshift randomly and be in 7th gear before getting to the other side of the intersection at normal acceleration, driving like a pig while doing it too.
Has around 80,000km on it, ex rental, which she didn't find out till she had it a few days.

Mates just had his 118 TSI melt a piston, I'm kinda wondering if it was a good idea buying our MY11 GTI with DSG, I know the boxes are fine in them apparently, but these cars seem to be ****boxes with all the issues people complain about here.

I'll end up going back into a semi low tech late 90's Jap car again !
My 02 Pathfinder is trouble free, and same for our HR31 Skyline.

Rawcpoppa
22-12-2014, 12:07 AM
Relax. Gti is fine. The 118tsi however is seemingly hit and miss. I don't know if it's like that because of the sheer number of 1.4 TSI engines sold or not but generally any forum you go that's VW group related has threads about engine trouble.

The dq200 is seemingly another problematic piece of equipment but since the recall the number of complaints on here has dropped considerably.

savitar
25-12-2014, 08:07 PM
Update - The service centre got back to me and said that VW will cover the full cost of parts and labour even thought its out of warranty....so thats $1,800 saved....quite happy about that....

Rawcpoppa
26-12-2014, 05:29 AM
Update - The service centre got back to me and said that VW will cover the full cost of parts and labour even thought its out of warranty....so thats $1,800 saved....quite happy about that....

Nice Christmas gift that.

Brett_J
26-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Isn't the warranty extended to something like 10 years now?

Drove my mother in laws 90 TSI with newly installed clutchpacks yesterday, clunked on downshift a few times, but that was from low speed- getting up to 3rd then stopping. For a turbocharged car, it's surprisingly slow, my Pathfinder would give it a good run, I'd hate to see the 77 tsi !

BCK
30-12-2014, 08:00 PM
Does anyone with the 7 speeder noticing any difference in the revs as you modulate the brake pressure?

I had a Skoda 132 for a couple of days. If you didn't press the brake hard enough, when stationary, the clutches would stay engaged. As the pedal was pressed harder the revs would drop from 1000 to 800 when the clutch fully disengaged. It doesn't seem to do it on our 6 speeder, but it made me wonder how many people slip these clutches, unwittingly, at the lights.

My impression was that auto hold was partly invented to fix this issue - auto hold (or stop/ start for that matter) won't kick in unless you push the brake hard enough to disengage the clutch. If you switch off both you can slip all day...

Yep. My 7 speed does this, but now its started to disengage the clutches if held at that rubbing point for more than a few seconds without forward movement.

At which point the car will roll backwards.

But just as you come completely off the brake, the clutches engage to get you going again.

Rawcpoppa
30-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Yep. My 7 speed does this, but now its started to disengage the clutches if held at that rubbing point for more than a few seconds without forward movement.

But just as you come completely off the brake, the clutches engage to get you going again.

They all do the roll back thing if it can't move forward after a few seconds I believe. Think it's to prevent overheating.

anduril
03-01-2015, 09:43 AM
I've experienced something similar when driving the Mk7 R at low speeds, especially so when rolling to a stop. The shudder doesn't actually happens when going from 3rd to 2nd, but when the car rolls down to about 1,500rpm on the 2nd, before it goes down to 1st. It feels almost like the car is being jerked/kicked forward.

I've taken it back to the dealer before and they mentioned that it was a DSG config that they have reloaded, whatever that means. Since then it has improved slightly but still not completely gone, and the mechanic that went for a ride with me said it was a common DSG trait. It's my first DSG so I really don't know what to expect.

Ashoz85
05-01-2015, 10:25 AM
The feeling I compare the above to is if ur driving a manual vehicle and being in to high of a gear for the revs the engine is at, almost like the car is telling u ok mate it's time to either stop or shift down 1 gear. I always tell my partner to drive it like a manual when she is coming to a halt, I.e don't creep forward unless you would do that same creep in a manual car

veew
07-01-2015, 10:05 PM
Unfortunately the squealing noise came back.

Sorry to hear mate, how many kays have you done on the replacement clutch?

savitar
08-01-2015, 06:53 PM
So as an update the clutch patch was replaced on Tuesday and it was all covered under good will from VW. The different to car is amazing, sooo much smoother and better to drive. Very pleased with the service from Rex Gorell in Geelong, highly recommend them...

Hopefully that is the end of the big costs for now....

kk_mqb_mk7
09-01-2015, 08:24 PM
1st replacement done at 8000 km. 2nd replacement done at 14900 km. Apparently, the feedback from service centre is that the clutches are "out of tolerance" that warrant different software parameters to compensate the tolerances, hence a software update that is specific to my car was provided by VW. I have so far done some 600 km after the second replacement. So, still too early to tell if it is really fixed. Was also told that I am the first Golf mk7 customer at the service centre to get the clutch packs replaced twice. Might it be due to the fact that I have a trained ear to identify these noises (I have a machine building background)?? My passengers (non-enthusiasts) told me that they could not even identify if there is a squealing noise or not to start with!

peanutz
15-01-2015, 12:21 PM
My car makes some noise when i put my foot down when moving from a standstill. It doesn't happen all the time but frequent enough to be annoyed. I spoked to my dealer after drove the car for 6 months and took in for a quick check-up. They reckon it's from the nature of Turbo engine. I'm not convinced. How do I convince them that something isn't right? 1st service is coming up soon and I am now thinking whether I should go to Audvolks or other places. Would it cost a lot more?

Rhtside
17-01-2015, 06:02 AM
We had our highline clutches replaced at 8000km because of the squeal. In reverse it sounds terrible and just yesterday it stared squealing again from take off. Will be going back to dealer again Monday. Looks like these DSGs are going to be a big problem.

kk_mqb_mk7
17-01-2015, 08:00 PM
We had our highline clutches replaced at 8000km because of the squeal. In reverse it sounds terrible and just yesterday it stared squealing again from take off. Will be going back to dealer again Monday. Looks like these DSGs are going to be a big problem.
Keep hounding them until they fix it for you. VW knows about this. Their technical info record and archiving process is quite comprehensive (with proper communication serial numbers etc..) but it is ultimately up to your dealership/service centre to chase up and follow through the issue.

Rhtside
17-01-2015, 10:30 PM
Thanks, we will!!!! Car is fantastic other than this issue.

turtle
20-01-2015, 04:54 PM

Was going to post this in the Stop/Start thread however it's probably more relevant here.
I've noticed this exact same thing with the 6sp DSG in my GTI. If you have a small about of brake applied while stopped it seems like the clutches are still engaged and the engine sounds like its 'laboring'. However if you press the brake pedal firmly (with the Stop/Start turned off) you can here and distinct change in the engine RPM and sound (more of a free-rev sound). Also after doing this and releasing the brake pedal to take off, you can hear/feel a slight rise in engine RPM before the clutch engages, and sometimes if parked on a hill, a slight roll-back.
I've proven this many times when leaving my house. As I drive out of my garage onto my steep uphill driveway I always stop and wait for the garage door to close. While waiting if I press firmly on the pedal, the car rolls back a bit and the revs rise (like driving a manual) when I take off. If I only use a small amount of pedal pressure, the car just take off like you've been riding the clutch the whole time.

I'd be interested to hear the thoughts from a knowledgeable VW mechanic on what effect this has on the clutches.

Regarding the clutch 'shudder', like mentioned previously I have felt a slight shudder/jerk when slowing down to a stop. It occurs at the low end of 2nd gear, just before it changes back to 1st and its a distinct forward 'jerking' motion. This is my first ever car with a DSG box so I just though it was how it's meant to be, and I've adjusted my driving to suit it.

zardoz
21-01-2015, 10:18 AM

I had my car roll backwards with adaptive cruse on... car came to a stop at the lights, then went to roll back, then slammed on the brakes.

lambertia
25-01-2015, 09:55 PM
I had my car roll backwards with adaptive cruse on... car came to a stop at the lights, then went to roll back, then slammed on the brakes.
Is this what you mean :

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=101332
Roll back issues with adaptive cruise control.

OYE
05-02-2015, 05:31 PM
I bought my golf 90TSI DSG in 2012 March, had the clutch packs replaced at the 15k service in February 2013. It started to shudder again just before the end of 2014 and i decided to contact Werribee VW before the end of my warranty. They booked me in for the next day which was yesterday, long story short clutch packs replaced again at 54,000kms. The car feels much nicer to drive now. Loving it!

veew
12-02-2015, 09:01 PM
I bought my golf 90TSI DSG in 2012 March, had the clutch packs replaced at the 15k service in February 2013. It started to shudder again just before the end of 2014 and i decided to contact Werribee VW before the end of my warranty. They booked me in for the next day which was yesterday, long story short clutch packs replaced again at 54,000kms. The car feels much nicer to drive now. Loving it!

This sort of story makes me reluctant to hold onto my Golf outside of the warranty period. I love the car but really am disappointed these issues are still occurring (and for some like yourself, recurring!). Fingers crossed you don't have any more problems from here on out!

Brett_J
12-02-2015, 09:35 PM
Girlfriends mother had hers replaced Dec last year, shudder is back again, it's got 35,000km on it. I'd sell the poxy thing and get something Korean !
7 Speed issues in both the 90 and 118's, 118's motor popping all over the show. So much for build quality.

The One
15-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Girlfriends mother had hers replaced Dec last year, shudder is back again, it's got 35,000km on it. I'd sell the poxy thing and get something Korean !
7 Speed issues in both the 90 and 118's, 118's motor popping all over the show. So much for build quality.

Hyundai has more engine and gearbox failures than any Volkswagen. Don't believe me? Just walk past your local Hyundai dealer, they will defiantly have atleast one iLoad waiting for an engine, atleast 2 I30's waiting on turbo's, and atleast 2 IX35's with gearboxes out being rebuilt.

Brett_J
15-02-2015, 12:15 PM
Hyundai has more engine and gearbox failures than any Volkswagen. Don't believe me? Just walk past your local Hyundai dealer, they will defiantly have atleast one iLoad waiting for an engine, atleast 2 I30's waiting on turbo's, and atleast 2 IX35's with gearboxes out being rebuilt.

LOL, Keep the dream alive, VW's - Indestructable !

The One
15-02-2015, 06:04 PM
LOL, Keep the dream alive, VW's - Indestructable !

Not saying VW is indestructable, just saying Korean is no better.

Brett_J
16-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Not saying VW is indestructable, just saying Korean is no better.

What I was getting at is if she'd bought Korean, it wouldn't be a huge shock if there was continual issues, and she wouldn't have paid a premium (vs korean) for a supposed better quality European car. She traded in her POS Holden Viva, and it's had as many issues !

The One
16-02-2015, 07:48 PM
What I was getting at is if she'd bought Korean, it wouldn't be a huge shock if there was continual issues, and she wouldn't have paid a premium (vs korean) for a supposed better quality European car. She traded in her POS Holden Viva, and it's had as many issues !

Fair enough, not too much 'premium' on VW's anymore, e.g: golf and polo both can be had for under 23k driveaway.

Bu77z
23-02-2015, 07:44 PM
Our MY10 118TSI Wagon has had a shudder for a while, a lot worse in winter but still noticeable at the moment. I mentioned this at the 60k service a couple of weeks ago at Cricks in Maroochydore and they came back with a report that the clutch was 'out of spec' and would be replaced under VW's goodwill policy (We have factory extended warranty through the dealer anyway so if VW hadn't paid for they would have had to). It's booked in next Wednesday so hopefully it will soon run as smooth as the Jetta i had as a loan car during the service.

NVRENUF
25-02-2015, 10:50 PM
This happened to my golf for almost the entire 3 years. 2011 mk6 90 tsi, a week after warranty finished
they decided to do something about it. and replaced some major parts.
lucky they covered it still.
been fine ever since.

regu
03-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Had the 60k service done and was told the clutch packs are out of spec. Dealer applied for goodwill repair and got 100% parts and 30% labour cost approved. The clutch packs have been replaced before (at 15k) and then the total gearbox (at 30k). As I wasn't happy to be left with a bill of approx. $600 I have complained about it with VW customer care. They will re-investigate and let me know after they review the full vehicle history. Fingers crossed.

OYE
03-03-2015, 01:56 PM
Had the 60k service done and was told the clutch packs are out of spec. Dealer applied for goodwill repair and got 100% parts and 30% labour cost approved. The clutch packs have been replaced before (at 15k) and then the total gearbox (at 30k). As I wasn't happy to be left with a bill of approx. $600 I have complained about it with VW customer care. They will re-investigate and let me know after they review the full vehicle history. Fingers crossed.

The goodwill should cover it 100% in my opinion. Good luck with the investigation anyway, fingers crossed!

Rawcpoppa
14-03-2015, 07:40 AM
Shouldn't goodwill cover something like the mechatronic unit since there is nothing a dealer can do about servicing it anyway?

Has anyone come across a leaking mechatronic unit?

Rawcpoppa
23-03-2015, 01:12 AM
Seeing that the West Indies are out of the cricket World Cup maybe some of you Australians can answer my post without fear now? :)

Brew69
23-03-2015, 07:11 PM
So after 27k my clutches have failed. I have been ignoring the shudder putting it down to my driving style. Looks like I won't be owning this beyond the warranty.

Rawcpoppa
25-03-2015, 07:38 AM
For what it's worth: VW changed my Mechatronic unit for free. Goodwill was honored even though I was out of warranty and hadn't serviced by my Vw dealer in over a year. It would thus seem that VW is acknowledging issues with these units even if they weren't under recall.

Baz 55
20-11-2015, 08:32 PM
I know clutch packs have been giving problems.
I have had three over 27000 kms.
The last one was supposed to be an upgraded pack but this is unconfirmed.
Even though my DSG and "upgraded" clutch pack were performing fine the dealership wanted to replace my entire transmission.
Have they replaced the transmission in my 2013 golf with the same transmission ?
Has anything changed in the last 2 years?
Is there anything wrong with the MK7 DSGs ?
Or are there just few odd failures?

Umai Naa!!
20-11-2015, 08:55 PM
A lot of the problems with them are due to poor quality control at the assembly plant for the transmissions. Very high failure rates before they even go anywhere near a car.

From my experience, the rebuilt exchange ones through VW tend to last the life of the car.

Rawcpoppa
21-11-2015, 01:09 AM
I know clutch packs have been giving problems.
I have had three over 27000 kms.
The last one was supposed to be an upgraded pack but this is unconfirmed.
Even though my DSG and "upgraded" clutch pack were performing fine the dealership wanted to replace my entire transmission.
Have they replaced the transmission in my 2013 golf with the same transmission ?
Has anything changed in the last 2 years?
Is there anything wrong with the MK7 DSGs ?
Or are there just few odd failures?

VW has been upgrading the clutches. At least the part numbers have been changing over the years. If you can check the part numbers that would help. Why do they want to replace the entire transmission?

Valvster
21-11-2015, 01:08 PM
Got the dreaded 1st to 2nd gearchange shudder on a 36degC Sunday a couple of weeks ago,seems to disappear as soon as the
temperature cooled down and when driven in sports mode.
Car is a 7 speed DSG 90TSI October/2013 build and only done 18000km as a non-commuter, it's booked in for a new clutch pack on Monday.
I was told there have been 3 updates to clutches since the car was built with the last one being May 2015 and so far none of the latest
issues have come back whereas earlier issues were sometimes only lasting 1000km.
The gearbox and mechatronics have been faultless and after a week of trolling the www there are very little complaints, only the dry clutch packs.
It will also have a software update which I hope holds 1st gear a bit longer which I think may help with premature clutch wear.
I find D setting is too eager to change up and the car often "lugs" at 60kph in 7th gear and 1250rpm.
On the other hand if using S mode it won't change to 4th until 57kph which will cop you a fine from the evil speed cameras in a 50 zone.

I will hopefully have a part number by Tuesday.

Valvster

Baz 55
21-11-2015, 08:33 PM
I really don't know. They insisted their was a shudder however I never felt a shudder, ever. I felt they were working perfectly .
Are you confused? I know I am.
Originally took it in for a new parking sensor.
I wasn't going to knock it back though.

Baz 55
21-11-2015, 08:37 PM
Great info Valvstar, thanks.
I'm thinking two ways, I have the good upgraded gear now, keep the car longer or dump it in the next 12 months.
I have a platinum warranty for an extra 3 years which covers up to $3000.
This would cover most items.

Rawcpoppa
22-11-2015, 05:22 AM
I honestly believe the software update is more important than changes to the clutches. That's my hunch. I have clutches from a 2012 Jetta.

Does the judder in D mode gear when it changes from 1 to 2 at low speeds after the clutches have warmed up.
When driven in manual mode where gear 1 is held for longer there is no judder.

Valvster
23-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Haven't had any judder for the last 5 days as it's been cool and only short drives, dropped it off this morning and got a base model 90TSI as an overnight loaner with 1200km on the clock. Software seems slightly different and a bit cluncky changing down into 2nd and 1st but that could be the box has adapted to numerous drivers giving it a caning.
Service adviser also said a new larger spigot bearing comes with the new clutch pack which helps with heat disipation.
Apparently earlier spigot bearing's affected tolerances as the clutch heats up in stop start conditions and contributed to clutch judder.

Valvster

Valvster
24-11-2015, 08:06 PM
So the latest revision clutch pack has been fitted and all is good.

VW Part Number OAM198140L

This has been fitted to all vehicles by the main dealer in Adelaide since May2015 and there have been no failures (of course May in Adelaide is the start of winter so this summer will be the real test if it's a heat related problem).
The previous part number fitted to my October 2013 build was OAM198140C.
Software was also updated and the car drives similar to the loaner I had, no longer quite so eager to change up to 7th at 60kph and a bit more responsive to change to a lower gear.
I don't notice any change with gears 1 and 2 but it is definitely more driveable in city traffic.
Here is a guide to all things DSG from LuK the clutch manufacturer
http://lal-auto.ru/imgbank/tcd/pdf/00060041702255.pdf
and at the bottom of page 2 is a video on fitting a new dry twin clutch pack
Schaeffler Automotive Aftermarket Germany *|*Media Library *|*Videos (http://www.schaeffler-aftermarket.de/content.luk_as.de/en/mediathek/videostore/videostore.jsp?dc.entity.pubvehiclebrand.id=292980 7&)

Cheers....Valvster

WallySimmonds
25-11-2015, 05:14 PM
How can you tell what one you have? I have a 2015 July build, so presuming mines all good =)

jayburls
30-11-2015, 01:53 PM
Had my TSI104 Golf serviced at 45K. A wk later my gearbox has started to thump when cold starting btwn 1 and 2, sometimes 2 to 3. Havent rang the dealer yet. I'm guessing I will need to asap reading these posts.

Matticus
04-02-2016, 05:00 PM
Is it normal to have a slight shuddering/vibrating feeling from accelerating from a very low speed in gear 2, especially when turning a corner? It's definitely slight, but it's noticeable in the right conditions. Otherwise the gearbox is great.

I have the 7 speed DSG in my 2009 118TSI with the clutch pack replaced 12 months ago. I'd be fine if it didn't get worse, as this this my 3rd clutch pack on this car.

Stelex
04-02-2016, 06:18 PM
Is it normal to have a slight shuddering/vibrating feeling from accelerating from a very low speed in gear 2, especially when turning a corner? It's definitely slight, but it's noticeable in the right conditions. Otherwise the gearbox is great.

I have the 7 speed DSG in my 2009 118TSI with the clutch pack replaced 12 months ago. I'd be fine if it didn't get worse, as this this my 3rd clutch pack on this car.

That's how it starts. I had the clutch pack replaced on my mk6 118TSI three times in 4 years and 110.000km. My wife's Golf 7 90TSI had the same symptoms from about 22.000km, now at just over 30K it's awful and needs replacement on the next service.

Nothing has changed from Golf 6 to Golf 7, exactly the same issue with the clutch packs. You can expect to get anywhere between 20-30.000km out of the clutch pack, before it needs replacement. The cost is from memory about $2k.

Matticus
04-02-2016, 06:47 PM
That's how it starts. I had the clutch pack replaced on my mk6 118TSI three times in 4 years and 110.000km. My wife's Golf 7 90TSI had the same symptoms from about 22.000km, now at just over 30K it's awful and needs replacement on the next service.

Nothing has changed from Golf 6 to Golf 7, exactly the same issue with the clutch packs. You can expect to get anywhere between 20-30.000km out of the clutch pack, before it needs replacement. The cost is from memory about $2k.

Thanks Stelex.

You'd think with several iterations of the clutch pack and various software updates that they'd be better by now. I should have warranty for another 12 months for the pack (proving it to VW is another story), but I will probably sell the car in 6 months and avoid all of the hassle.

gradius
07-02-2016, 09:44 PM
I have a 3 year old 103TSI that has only run 11,000km. Recently there has been a weird squeaking noise when the car goes from stationary. My friend told me that it sounds like the clutch is slipping when it shifts gear. You can listen to the noise below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/188xolwlcmgb5x2/Voice0015%5B1%5D.mp3?dl=0

I'll bring my car to the dealer to check but I reckon it's going to be difficult to show them the problem as it only happens after about 30 minutes to 1 hour of driving the car.

What do you think the problem is?

Martin
08-02-2016, 06:55 AM
If the clutch was slipping it would do it in 1st when you drive off and you would see the RPM higher than the road speed
Clutches generally don't squeak unless they have worn completely through the friction material
It's a funny little noise, does not sound like a clutch (or even a release bearing)
Is it a manual or DSG?

veew
08-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Definitely your clutch. Happened to me a while back b/w 2-3 gear shifts, occurred a bit after 6000km. Never affected drivability at all but I made sure the clutch got replaced. The sound disappeared following the clutch replacement. Your dealer should be requesting to keep the car for a day or two to allow them to replicate the issue if it only occurs after a prolonged drive. Keep us updated.

You can follow this thread here, download my audio file and you'll see it sounds exactly like your squeak.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/dsg-squeal-96872-4.html#post1076980

danielb_c
09-02-2016, 07:52 AM
I'd say it's your car crying because it's basically just been kept in a garage for 3 years. [emoji12]
How did you manage to only do 11,000kms?

Das Hemi
10-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Hi, I purchased a Mk7 90TSI DSG7 plated September 2013 new from the local dealer.
The car now has 84,000km on it.
It had been running superbly until around the 60k mark where I noticed a shudder start to develop.
It has not worsened to date but i think i should have it dealt with before the warranty runs out.

It is a work car so I do around 35k a year in it.

The shudder:
Seems to always occur at very low revs and when engine is under load. -particularly a cold engine
Example: Slowly reversing out of my driveway on an incline.
Slowly accelerating away from a stop on an incline.

I generally drive with zest so the shudder is rarely felt. Seems like when you use the semi-auto mode everything is fine and dandy.

What is far more annoying than the shudder is the rattle from the wastegate clip. I had it fixed at 30k nut it returned at 60k. Need to fix it again at next service which is in a week.

bbz1000
16-03-2016, 08:57 PM

3rd clutch pack?! wow these cars... you'd think with all the free warranty repair VW complete they could just build a stable reliable car. :facepalm::facepalm:

BluChris
17-03-2016, 07:03 AM
Well, Ford dumped its similar (and equally problematic) 7 speed dry clutch trans for a conventional torque converter auto in the updated Focus. Not a random act; seems they conceded it doesn't cut it.

bbz1000
17-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Hi, I purchased a Mk7 90TSI DSG7 plated September 2013 new from the local dealer.
The car now has 84,000km on it.
It had been running superbly until around the 60k mark where I noticed a shudder start to develop.
It has not worsened to date but i think i should have it dealt with before the warranty runs out.

It is a work car so I do around 35k a year in it.

The shudder:
Seems to always occur at very low revs and when engine is under load. -particularly a cold engine
Example: Slowly reversing out of my driveway on an incline.
Slowly accelerating away from a stop on an incline.

I generally drive with zest so the shudder is rarely felt. Seems like when you use the semi-auto mode everything is fine and dandy.

What is far more annoying than the shudder is the rattle from the wastegate clip. I had it fixed at 30k nut it returned at 60k. Need to fix it again at next service which is in a week.

a new clutch every 30k is a joke.
just out of curiosity - do you do a lot of city driving? lots of traffic?
do you baby it?

Ryeman
29-03-2016, 08:56 AM
There's this U.S. based input
How VW Parts Fail ~ 7 speed DSG Mechatronic Unit | Humble Mechanic (http://humblemechanic.com/2015/09/15/how-vw-parts-fail-7-speed-dsg-mechatronic-unit/)

minke
29-03-2016, 08:44 PM
There's this U.S. based input
How VW Parts Fail ~ 7 speed DSG Mechatronic Unit | Humble Mechanic (http://humblemechanic.com/2015/09/15/how-vw-parts-fail-7-speed-dsg-mechatronic-unit/)

There is no info in this. Title is mis-leading

migz05
02-04-2016, 04:36 AM
Hi guys,

I was driving in stop start traffic last night and I started to realise my transmission started to run rough. I could hear a crunching sound whilst running through the gears and it seemed like every gear change was accompanied by relatively violent banging sound. Reverse gear seems the worst and at one stage stopped engaging.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? I am hoping someone could shed some light on whether this is similar to any problems that affected the mk6 dsg a few years ago.

danielb_c
02-04-2016, 11:36 AM
When's the last time you had the transmission fluid checked?

Baz 55
04-04-2016, 01:51 PM
I know there are many threads here about DSG's and clutches on the MK7.
My MK7 has had three clutches and it's second gearbox recently in 2.5 years.
A mates Passat had his 3 yo old out of warranty DSG gearbox replaced.
Another mate with a MK6 has "shudder" on the clutch take up position (in a manual it would be like a worn thrust bearing)
So he will be up for a VERY expensive clutch repair shortly.
His wife also bought a MK 7 same time and dealer as me and I have just found out that DSG had major work done to get fluid affected wiring in the DSG repaired.
It would be foolish to think that VW had NOT got an ongoing DSG issue !!!
It would be twice as foolish to think they might tell the truth about it either - thinking back to the diesel scam.
Who else has issues ???

Baz 55
04-04-2016, 01:53 PM
I just started a post on DSG and clutch issues. You can just join the long list of MK7 DSG failures.

LukePolo
04-04-2016, 03:15 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f112/golf-7-speed-dsg-shudder-clutch-issues-45873.html?highlight=dsg+issue

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/dsg-squeal-96872.html

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/dsg-shudder-mark-7-golf-101892.html

Search function is your friend.

Baz 55
04-04-2016, 06:23 PM
I knew about those threads my friend, I started some - however it's time all those threads came under 1 banner and that is
VW DSG's have a problem - even the MK7's.

alexaescht
04-04-2016, 07:10 PM
The DQ200 DSG is a flawed design and it astonishes me that anyone who reads forums such as these would buy any car from the VW group with this dry-clutch 7-speed DSG in it. Yes, of course there are many people who do not have issues, but it's just too risky I believe.

Baz 55
04-04-2016, 07:44 PM
Ive tried to beleive this view is NOT true, BUT now believe it is true. DSGs even in MK 7s are a mechanical disaster waiting to happen.
Everyone i know with this gearbox has had or has problems with it.
I know it cant be everyone but my anecdotal evidence in overwhelming.
I have 6 months wtty on my VW and i am selling at as i dont want to take the DSG risk outside of warranty.
VW need to get a 5 yr factory wtty at least before i would even think to buy another.
In saying that VW is the most superb car i have ever had. Shame about the warranty and DSG.

willsy01
05-04-2016, 08:56 AM
I knew about those threads my friend, I started some - however it's time all those threads came under 1 banner and that is
VW DSG's have a problem - even the MK7's.

Wouldn't posting in the existing Golf 7 speed clutch issue thread have been a better idea rather than throwing another one in the mix?

brayden87
07-04-2016, 12:13 AM
This was the reason I bought a manual gti

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Dutch77
07-04-2016, 07:53 AM
..except there is nothing wrong with the DQ250 wet clutch box found in the GTI.

Baz 55
07-04-2016, 09:23 PM
If you had read the post, i said it was time ALL the posts on clutches and DSG come under 1 post. ATM they are scattered.

ALCo4301
07-04-2016, 10:10 PM
..except there is nothing wrong with the DQ250 wet clutch box found in the GTI.
Just had my wife ring me to say she put our GTI/P into reverse in the garage and nothing happened, so back into Neutral then to reverse again and horrible noises started. Rang the VW for a call out to look at the problem (we live in Tuncurry NSW) arrived within 60 mins and arranged for the car to be transported to The Taree VW dealer, gearbox failure. Taree VW couldn't take the car so it was transported to Pt Macquarie VW. They will ring tomorrow with news. Car is only 12 months old with 15000km on clock.

Dutch77
07-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Sorry to hear that.

I should have phrased it as perhaps nothing inherently wrong with it. The vast majority have no issues - but the gearbox gets tarnished because of the problems with DQ200 which definitely does have a problem and the unfortunate fact that VW have tended to be inconsistent with their fixes for customers.

The fact is there are issues across the board - from Ford to Hyundai. I'd rather the minor risk then be subjected to CVT.

I'm also happy to admit I'd have no issue if they used a ZF 8 speeder either..

Baz 55
08-04-2016, 12:39 AM
Yet anothef DSG bites the dust, Im tipping this is the tip of the iceberg. Would love to know how many mk7 DSGs and or clutches have been repaired or replaced..AND here is the rub MANY of these MK 7s are coming out of warranty!
Keeping your Golf after three years?. Good luck with that.

agentthumb
08-04-2016, 10:18 AM
I've gone through the linked posts about DSG shudder. Almost all of the issues reported were in MK6, except a very small number of really early MK7s pre / in 2013.

My understanding from reading the posts here is VW updated the clutch pack and software for their mechatronic unit in 2013 to address some of the earlier issues in the MK7. I guess only time and those extra mileage will tell if the new design has addressed the shuddering issue for cars post 2013.

The squealing noise appears to be new, but appears to affect relatively small number of vehicles (they are selling approx 18,000 a year), something I'd monitor, but wouldn't be overly concerned about.

I have a 7 speed MY15 coming up to 20k km, no squeal or shudder at the moment. That wastegate noise is a bit of a b*tch tho...

LukePolo
08-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Yet anothef DSG bites the dust, Im tipping this is the tip of the iceberg. Would love to know how many mk7 DSGs and or clutches have been repaired or replaced..AND here is the rub MANY of these MK 7s are coming out of warranty!
Keeping your Golf after three years?. Good luck with that.

Now I feel as if you are bashing the DSG's and VW's

Are we a bit sour from an experience?

Baz 55
08-04-2016, 10:34 AM
I sated the VW is the best car I've ever had - ALL other things said about DSG failures were actual incidents from friends and family. (Lots of Dubs in this family) However VW in the past (and present?) have been less than forthright with ongoing issues.
The diesel scam just goes to show how far they will sink to cover their "marketing".
MY Golf has had its gearbox replaced and 2 other clutches replaced all under warranty. (Not sure how that can be called sour.)
However I am left wondering what is going on AND just how much I would trust a gearbox out of warranty.

LukePolo
08-04-2016, 10:49 AM
I would say there is enough evidence across this forum to confirm that a DQ200 Dry clutch DSG is not the most reliable gearbox with approximately 7 in 10 with some of clutch, software or mechatronics issue over the course of the vehicles life.

Your current experience should be a good foundation as to what the characteristics of failure and longevity of the gearbox, UNLESS you have been advised that the design has been completely changed, then i would suggest it would be touch and go, along with taking out some extra warranty at your own risk and expense, but the likelihood of the design changing completely, it is a proven fact that they inherit issues!

The dry box is known to be no good for Australian conditions or start stop traffic.

Dieselgate however has nothing to do with your DSG box or the above mentioned issues, there is another thread on that, and how they are looking to rectify the issues, Deiselgate rectification is OPTIONAL in Australia. If you wish to talk about or bash Dieselgate, feel free to go there.

How about you take the negativity and cease with dragging it on. You know the risks, you know the issues, and you well know that VW know they had released a gearbox that was a huge risk.

Baz 55
08-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Lol - love the Dieselgate tag. However VW's relationship with customers and press IS related, very closely.
If VW was a "man" would you be happy with him taking out your daughter ?
VW lie and cover up truths - of course that's relevant to any discussion with regards to reliability issues.
I didn't know at the time I purchased by beloved comfortline that I was taking a huge risk - did anyone ?
I have stated only facts - I'd be very happy for the throngs of MK7 owners to tell me my DSG is great.
I doubt you would be one of them judging by your comments.

migz05
09-04-2016, 05:19 AM
My golf suffered dsg issues only last week. Reverse gear was not engaging and it was generally running rough. VW fixed it with a software update however the problem has returned not even one week later. They have been the worst company to deal with in regards to any repair issues with my 2013 high line!

migz05
09-04-2016, 05:36 AM
VW claim they fixed it with software however the problem has returned not even a week later..

I don't check when fluid is changed, I just make sure my services are done as per schedule. I can only hope that the service does the right thing by me..

AdamD
11-04-2016, 09:17 AM
If you had read the post, i said it was time ALL the posts on clutches and DSG come under 1 post. ATM they are scattered.

They have now been merged under this one consolidated thread.

Baz 55
12-04-2016, 07:52 PM
Wow 70 pages of clutch/DSG issues.
Question. Do VW have an ongoing problem with MK7 DSG gearboxes?
Answer. Hell yes.
Solution. If it's out of warranty keep everything crossed.
Or sell it.
Won't be visiting VW again until they have a 5 year warranty on their cars and a 7 year warranty on their DSGs.
Seriously VW 3 years!? Don't you trust your own product?
Good luck dubbers you are going to need it.
Now the proud owner of a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Aspire.
Still miss the MK7 though awesome car in just about every respect.

agentthumb
12-04-2016, 08:02 PM
Answer. Hell yes.
Or sell it.
Won't be visiting VW again until they have a 5 year warranty on their cars and a 7 year warranty on their DSGs.

Seriously man, do you read the stuff here? These posts date back to 2010. MK7 didn't come out in AUS until 2013. Most of these posts are related to MK6 7 speeds. A well documented issue.

Some early MK7s had issues, they released a fix. Given the number of Golfs they sell a year vs. the number of people here complaining, it's a very small percentage.

So you bought a lemon, it happens to every brand. Move on. Take your negativity elsewhere. VW won't really miss you anyway, enjoy your Outlander.

Ps. Here's 15 pages of why people wouldn't buy a Outlander PHEV again. Enjoy the reading. Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum • View topic - Anyone else who wouldn't have a PHEV again? (http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2173)

VW Convert
12-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Answer. Hell yes.
Or sell it.

Seriously, talk about repeatedly misrepresenting the facts, are you a politician by any chance? You badgered and badgered to get the threads merged and now you represent the MK 6 failures as proof that the MK 7 has an ongoing issue. As has been pointed out repeatedly, far and way the majority of these failures relate to the Mk 6 and it is patently clear that there are significantly fewer issues with the Mk 7.

I hope you are happy with the Mitsubishi, having owned a few, including one that needed an engine block replaced in its first year (and they replaced just the block and rings not the whole engine), I wouldn't buy another, but that's just me.

Please shut the door on your way out.

Baz 55
12-04-2016, 08:30 PM
Seriously man 70 pages in the MK 7 forum !
Just about all these posts are about MK7s. Derr.
I loved my VW
Don't mistake facts for facts for negativity.
I had 2 clutches and a DSG replaced in 30,000 kms. My car was running perfectly when I sold it.
What I am spewing about is that it is was such a fantastic car, 32ks of hard earned money and two and a half years later didn't trust the ongoing reliability of the DSG unit.
Believe me I wanted to, I just couldn't.
I am mad with VW that I couldn't trust it.
So perhaps instead of having a go at me you should pull your head out of the sand and do a serious reality check.
BTW, how much warranty have you got left?

VW Convert
12-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Seriously man 70 pages in the MK 7 forum !?

You are forgetting the fact that the threads were merged at your behest and was moved into the MK 7 forum, far and away, the majority of the issues relate to the MK 6. The first post was dated June 2010, how many MK 7s were around then?

Your bad experience is affecting your ability to see the facts and for the record, I've bought three new VWs with DSG over ten years and never had ANY problems.

Baz 55
12-04-2016, 09:48 PM
You are forgetting the fact that the threads were merged at your behest and was moved into the MK 7 forum, far and away, the majority of the issues relate to the MK 6. The first post was dated June 2010, how many MK 7s were around then?

Your bad experience is affecting your ability to see the facts and for the record, I've bought three new VWs with DSG over ten years and never had ANY problems.

I hope other dubbers do as well as you have. Time will tell.

AdamD
13-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Seriously man 70 pages in the MK 7 forum !
Just about all these posts are about MK7s. Derr.

Quite right George. I've decided to move the Mk6-specific content back to the Mk6 forum, and this thread now only contains the posts pertinent to Mk7s (despite the DQ200 and DQ250 gearboxes being fundamentally shared, albeit revised for the Mk7). Now down to a more respectable 16 pages, and hopefully a bit clearer for readers.

agentthumb
13-04-2016, 11:11 AM
Thanks AdamD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difinity
14-04-2016, 02:38 PM
I've got a similar issue with the 7sp DSG in my Skoda Fabia vRS (1.4 twincharge be built at 66k kms)
Is an obvious ssue at all speeds below 120km/h

Difinity

agentthumb
14-04-2016, 03:02 PM
I've was thinking about this earlier, people with "shuddering" issues specifically when pulling hard in second with wheels turned, are you sure it's a DSG shudder and not wheel hop from loss of traction?

Wheel hop under hard acceleration can be quite violent. Just a thought.

Eaglehawk
14-04-2016, 08:03 PM
The wheel hop feels very different to the DSG shudder when it happened on the Polo GTI I had.

agentthumb
14-04-2016, 08:05 PM
The wheel hop feels very different to the DSG shudder when it happened on the Polo GTI I had.

I'm intrigued, can you describe what the shudder feels like please? And also what rev range this happens. I'm trying to understand what people are talking about :)

Thanks

lcy2004vip
30-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Hi All

Had my Mk7 GTI for over a week now. enjoyed it, a lot! However, I've noticed when i accelerate hard from 1st gear in manual mode, shift in second gear at about 5000-6000rpm, the car jerks like i am shifting a manual car. Then from 2nd to 3rd and 4th are much smooth no jerking at all. The car is all stock, 200km on clock, DCC set in normal most of the time.

Although it is great a DSG has the feeling like shifting a manual car, but i was worrying about it might damage the gearbox. Does anyone else has the similar issue?

Idle
30-05-2016, 12:51 PM
That's because you are, effectively, shifting a manual car.

You'll probably get used to each other over the next few weeks, but racing changes from first to second will most likely always be a bit rough.

You're driving a powerful car, and WOT in first will be close to, or on many surfaces even past, the limits of adhesion (the jerk is likely to be wheel-hop.)

Flat-out take-offs are hard on your wallet, too.

Tuan
30-05-2016, 01:49 PM
It's not a CVT :)

lcy2004vip
30-05-2016, 04:54 PM
That's because you are, effectively, shifting a manual car.

You'll probably get used to each other over the next few weeks, but racing changes from first to second will most likely always be a bit rough.

You're driving a powerful car, and WOT in first will be close to, or on many surfaces even past, the limits of adhesion (the jerk is likely to be wheel-hop.)

Flat-out take-offs are hard on your wallet, too.

I am sorry, probably a "stall" between gears will be a better description of my situation. i do not think it's the wheelhop, it's more likely the transmission shifting under high rpm causing the stalling. And you are right, it is a manual gearbox with dual clutch, so i suppose it is normal for me to feel the stalling when racing. all i'm worrying about is the DSG, obliviously it is more fragile than ordinary manual gearbox and $MUCH$ more expensive to fix once out of warranty. probably i should do less launching and all that:)

lcy2004vip
30-05-2016, 05:08 PM
It's not a CVT :)

hah, yes, i do realize that. actually i have never drove a CVT before, picked manual without second thought when subaru salesman offering a testdrive on a wrx. DSG is a damn brilliant box, it is the closest i can find to a manual without extra efforts to my left foot.

Tuan
30-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Well, your description is describing more of a hesitation then ? I am guessing there is no hesitation in D (auto mode) when you're giving it ?

My VRS 6 speed DSG (dq250) definitely doesn't do that in manual mode when shifting with the the gear shirt or the paddles.

Maybe your DSG is learning your driving habits - this I am just guessing, since I was not the first owner of my car.

BTW, you don't ever want to drive a CVT ...... haha.

RMBB
01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
lcy2004vip (http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/members/lcy2004vip/), I have a DSG MK7 MY16 Golf R with 6K on the clock (and never launch controlled) and I think I know what you are talking about.

This is what it feels and sounds like with my car to me. When in Manual Mode, it usually happens up or down between 1st to 2nd gear (maybe also changing down 3rd to 2nd too). It feels and sounds like if I were driving a manual and dumping the clutch with mis-matched revs. So the car lurches a bit and makes an unfavourable mechanical sound. I don't believe it should do this given it is a computer with 1 billion sensors and should be able to esentially perfectly match the revs, it's almost like it's engaging the clutch too soon, instead of waiting for the right revs.

I don't think this occurs when in D or S.

In the mean time I will need to find a way to replicate the judder consistently and then test on the Dealer R's to see what happens under the same situation.

For those who believe that the car needs to "learn" your behaviour should note that it is a dealers favourite line to pass off DSG issues. The car should never learn something that will result in clutch slipping, clutch dumping, jerking and selecting completely inappropriate gears. What the car will learn is if it knows you're either a lead foot or a feather foot to know how soon it should change or hold gears i.e. It will hold Lower gears for longer for lead foots (more power!!!) and faster changing to higher gears for feather foots (economical).

If anyone is having issues, I know that a clutch re-learn is something that may help and I will probably ask for down the track. The clutch will attempt to understand its own limits/parameters, therefore fully engage clutch/clutch clamping pressure to stop shuddering or in my situation apply the clutch slower or at a more appropriate friction point to stop the harsh shifting shudder.

I just hope in the mean time that is isn't wrecking my DSG clutch plates or anything else.

I am interested to hear any opinions or experiences around this, particularly with the Golf R.

Ryeman
01-06-2016, 01:34 PM
DSG should be seemless if working correctly and you're right about the sports style of driving .......that's just different timing and holding gears.
A 'dumping the clutch' feeling is a fault signal.

SevenR
01-06-2016, 05:30 PM
obliviously it is more fragile than ordinary manual gearbox
i thought it was actually the opposite!

Ryeman
01-06-2016, 05:48 PM
It's certainly more complex and maybe that's because automatic transmissions are becoming the preferred choice worldwide and this type gives the lowest emissions test figures.
I think EPAs are the true car designers these days and engineers answer to them.

lcy2004vip
07-06-2016, 01:49 AM
i thought it was actually the opposite!
what i mean is normal stick box has much lower fault rate and cheaper to replace. but if you were referring dq250 holds more torque than manual version GTI i agree.

lcy2004vip
07-06-2016, 01:52 AM
DSG should be seemless if working correctly and you're right about the sports style of driving .......that's just different timing and holding gears.
A 'dumping the clutch' feeling is a fault signal.

that's what i'm worrying about. but it only happened once or twice under manual model and high rev changing between 1st and 2nd, nothing for D or S.

lcy2004vip
07-06-2016, 02:01 AM
no weird sound to mine but a heavy stall feeling exactly like a high rev gear changing in a manual car. Will that be 1st gear is actually for a start so DSG is designed not to put too much power on 1st, force it close to redline with manual will probably causing the stalling??? i guess that explains why DSG often changes early from 1st to 2nd in D or S. these was just my guessing anyway.

i agree with RMBB which such a high-tech box should prevent this from happening by picking the perfect time to engage clutch.

fung9420
15-06-2016, 06:12 PM
I don't think it happened when my S3 still stock.
After apr stage1, that's a hesitate from 1st to 2nd in S/D under full throttle launch. It's better in manual mode.

lcy2004vip
20-06-2016, 12:27 AM
Hey all

haven't got a conclusion so far on the issue, heading to dealership for 1000km checking this week, will bring this to them see what they say. assuming they will send me away with a "normal for a DSG" as nothing actually breaks down yet, but worth a try.

it happens less often now, it's just wired sometime it's smooth like a baby from 1st to 2nd but sometimes the car jerk like a manual car freshman dumping the clutch, all in manual mode, nothing spotted under D or S at this stage. will keep you guys updated.

my other concern is should i have APR stage1? since my car might potentially has a DSG issue (hope i'm overreacting~), should i better just keep it stock for the sake of warranty? but you never know when it's gonne occur, in that case i may will have to remain stock for the rest while i'm keeping this car,which sucks. Anyone with DSG and stage 1 that is running OK, please enlighten me here. much thanks!

Hi All

Had my Mk7 GTI for over a week now. enjoyed it, a lot! However, I've noticed when i accelerate hard from 1st gear in manual mode, shift in second gear at about 5000-6000rpm, the car jerks like i am shifting a manual car. Then from 2nd to 3rd and 4th are much smooth no jerking at all. The car is all stock, 200km on clock, DCC set in normal most of the time.

Although it is great a DSG has the feeling like shifting a manual car, but i was worrying about it might damage the gearbox. Does anyone else has the similar issue?

lcy2004vip
24-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Back from the dealership, no surprise "we couldn't find anything wrong, see you at your first service!!$$$$$". The stall happens between 1st and 2nd gear under manual mode now happens every start-up or the other. I am start to accept the idea of this is normal since this is actually a manual car, but still can't figure why sometime it's so smooth up-shifting from 1st with paddle when i'm expecting a "clutch dumping" feeling. any other gears, no issues at all.

Tuan
24-06-2016, 02:29 PM
Do you think you can upload a video for us to see ?

lcy2004vip
24-06-2016, 04:41 PM
i will try to get a video, for the dealership too, gonne have to take half day to drive and recording since it doesn't happen all the time.

flagger
28-07-2016, 11:08 AM
My 2013 Golf DSG started getting shudder in 2nd gear, either upshifting or downshifting. Took it into Norris VW in Brisbane for diagnosis and will be getting the clutches replaced next week. They also diagnosed the waste gate actuator had excessive play (sounded like the waste gate rattle issue but louder) so they are replacing that as well. 2 day job. All being done under warranty. Pretty happy with Norris VW workshop service.

gh172
22-09-2016, 03:33 PM
I have a 110tsi R-Line and have started getting an intermittent thud when taking off in first gear. It first happened only once about a month ago but has now happened 3 times in the lat two days. Is it worth taking it back to the dealer now or should I wait until it starts happening more frequently?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ryeman
22-09-2016, 03:43 PM
I have a 110tsi R-Line and have started getting an intermittent thud when taking off in first gear. It first happened only once about a month ago but has now happened 3 times in the lat two days. Is it worth taking it back to the dealer now or should I wait until it starts happening more frequently?

Its important to register the issue ASAP to cover yourself in the event of a dispute.

gh172
22-09-2016, 03:48 PM
Good point, appreciate the advice!

LibraR
22-09-2016, 05:12 PM

I had a 92TSI. Started to develop a squeal on gear changes at about 11,000km- anyone who has owned a Ducati will recognise the dry clutch squeal - so I took it in early for its 15000km service. Clutch pack needed replacement (under warranty). Seems to be disturbingly common on the dry clutch 7 speed DSG boxes, but significantly less so on the wet clutch 6 speed versions.

Traded that car on the R. Have the 5 year warranty on the R so fingers crossed no issues with it.

I agree that you should get the fault registered as soon as possible with the dealer. If the car is under warranty, I expect they will replace it as a warranty claim, as they did not even bat an eyelid with mine. Parts were in stock - has to tell you something...

gh172
22-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Mine is a MY16 car with 18000 k's. I hoped the transmission issues would be a thing of the past by now.

LibraR
22-09-2016, 10:11 PM
Mine is a MY16 car with 18000 k's. I hoped the transmission issues would be a thing of the past by now.

Hard to imagine it being less costly to repair them than to design one that actually worked. Maybe wet clutches across the range would be better...

gh172
22-09-2016, 10:17 PM
Hard to imagine it being less costly to repair them than to design one that actually worked. Maybe wet clutches across the range would be better...
Yeah, I agree. I think if I had my time again I would go for the TDI with the wet clutch DSG gearbox.

LibraR
23-09-2016, 07:23 AM
Yeah, I agree. I think if I had my time again I would go for the TDI with the wet clutch DSG gearbox.

No more dry clutch DSG for me either. It would be interesting if these issues plague Skoda and the other VAG variants that also use that same gearbox.

As their volume seller you would think VW would get it right. It is damaging the brand and they have enough self inflicted causes already...

bru20vt
23-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Two clutches and a gearbox replaced all under warranty at only 53,000 kms. I wish I had purchased a manual - VW never again.

R_LINE
02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Well I just read most of the posts from page one till the end.

I have a 103 tsi Highline R-Line wagon 2015 model. Not sure when it was manufactured though.

At 4000kms I got the gearbox grind or shutter noise as most call it.

Took it and they replaced the clutch packs.

Now at almost 14000kms and no issues.

The reason for the noise apparently as told by the head Mechanic "quote: the mk6 had an issue with sticky clutch so vw upgraded it which was also used on the mk7. However the sticky clutch issue was gone and the new one created another problem with noise generated during gear shifting like it's slipping. The gearbox doesn't have a fault and the clutch isn't faulty. The noise is caused from the material used on the new clutch due to friction when changing gears. The latest clutch has different material which vw states they have solved the issues"

The above was what I was told. And to be honest I'm no Mechanic and don't understand much about this sort of stuff. The issue hasn't repeated itself and it's been 10000kms since the repair.

Let's hope it stays this way.

If you experience the issue...take it in ASAP. Ask for a courtesy car as it will take a good day or two before you get it back.

bennjamin
13-11-2016, 06:33 PM
Just got the father in laws golf done.

Mk7 golf tsi , trendline 1.4 auto. Purchased new in '13 and 35k on the clock. Shuddering into 2nd severely under medium and harder throttle.
He had it "fixed" last week (new DSG clutch and associated bits) so lets see whats what.
By the way , what actually IS the fix ? I dont want the old fella going thru this nonsense in another 30k.

05_ENFORCER
13-11-2016, 06:46 PM
There is no fix as yet as I understand it.

05_ENFORCER
14-11-2016, 02:03 PM
2009 MK6 Golf 118 TSI, @ 107000 klms, new Mechatronics and clutch fitted.

Mechatronics replacement labour and mineral oil $0.00
New clutch kit including DMF and labour $2580.00

2 years warranty on both.

See you in two years VW. (hopefully not after)

Sharkie
14-11-2016, 04:01 PM
By the way , what actually IS the fix ? I dont want the old fella going thru this nonsense in another 30k.

There is no permanent fix. There is an inherent design flaw in these dry clutch DSG boxes (lots of info on that online :( ). Any repair is only temporary and in time will have to be done again ..... and again .... and again. Once out of warranty any subsequent fixes will cost you big time.

Tuan
14-11-2016, 04:14 PM
There is no permanent fix. There is an inherent design flaw in these dry clutch DSG boxes (lots of info on that online :( ). Any repair is only temporary and in time will have to be done again ..... and again .... and again. Once out of warranty any subsequent fixes will cost you big time.

Sell maybe.

LibraR
14-11-2016, 10:22 PM
Sell maybe.

That's what I did

05_ENFORCER
14-11-2016, 11:04 PM
Where's the challenge in that ........

LibraR
15-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Was a good reason to get a Golf R. Challenge? Who cares...? 😀

Krusty900
25-11-2016, 08:30 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas....

My GF's 2013 90 TSI DSG, was overdue for a service and she also pointed out a noise to me. Took it to the local specialist for a service, within 20 minutes they rang me back and said it had clutch shudder, it was just out of warranty, but they told me to take it to VW and ask for some goodwill as the clutch pack would probably need replacing. VW were great, clutch pack or whatever they do, replaced for free. I figured the noise was related to this so didn't really mention it and then I got home and realised it was still making the noise.

I can't always replicate it, but when under load i.e. up a slight incline going about 80 if I touch the gas and then take my foot off it , it makes a rattle type noise when i let the gas off.

it also sometime does it at about 1600-2500 revs going slowly when putting foot on the gas
(easiest to replicate when going 80 and touching then taking foot off gas though)

It sounds like its coming from behind the steering wheel, a lot more obvious with window down.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas..? is it wastegate rattle..? or is something else cooked..?

It only does it in d mode not s mode.

Any help before I trundle back to the mechanics would be greatly appreciated.

Krusty900
27-11-2016, 09:54 AM
Anybody....? (please)

Tuan
28-11-2016, 09:22 AM
Hmm shudder and rattle are two quite different things - two different warranty items, I'd say.

i know the wastegate rattle was on the MK6 GTIs/MK2 Octavia VRS. You will hear it when accelerating EVERY TIME at certain RPMS. not sure if your model had the issue though ... have you done a WWW search ? If it has the issue, I am sure someone has mentioned it before.

edit

Found it. Check out "shads" reply. 403 Forbidden (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2184299)

Krusty900
28-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks tuan.

I did come across that thread.

It is similar,but makes the noise when taking foot off the accelerator under load sometimes . Would wastegate rattle do this?

Tuan
28-11-2016, 11:00 AM
It does tend to happen when accelerating .. however I believe the rattle sound is caused when the wastegate acuator rod vibrates so any movement in that area can potentially cause it to make the tinny sound. The clip basically mutes it.

So you can picture it - https://www.google.com.au/search?q=wastegate+actuator+rod&espv=2&biw=1155&bih=689&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQ28T9nsrQAhXHGpQKHfI9BUAQsAQIGQ&dpr=0.99#tbm=isch&q=wastegate+actuator+rod+gti&imgrc=7F6DMMyaPXufjM%3A

Can't recall if mine made the noise when off the throttle though, sorry.

Ryeman
28-11-2016, 11:21 AM
Sounds like the engine flexing and some part of it contacting a cross member or something similar but only under engine braking.
Is it worse the lower (and more severe) the the gear selected?.

Ryeman
28-11-2016, 11:25 AM
Is the mount, that handles the engine reverse torque, done up .....
Everthing tends to be done in a hurry and the odd screw/nut/bolt might be missed.............there shouldn't be anything left over however

Krusty900
28-11-2016, 12:29 PM
ryeman, when I say off acceleration I maybe didn't explain that well.

Say I'm in d mode going up a slight incline at 80kmh the car will be in d6/d7 if I take my foot off the pedal I get the rattle.
The same rattle that happens when accelerating from a stand still at low revs.

It only seemed to happen in d mode too, at low revs. I drove it around in sport and it didn't make the noise at all....

Ryeman
28-11-2016, 12:42 PM
Ok, just a thought.
If you can 'play it' like a tune, and at will, you/someone can usually diagnose the problem's location.
If it's on a hoist, giving the exhaust a thump with your fist will tend to show up any looseness also.

Krusty900
01-12-2016, 07:47 AM
The mechanic has ordered the clip for wastegate rattle. Hopefully that's what it is and solves the problem.

mummbles
04-12-2016, 12:46 PM
Brother in law had a knocking/rattling sound when the car was idling or driving off at low speed. we eventually found one of the engine mounts was completly undone! can't understand how that could have happened .

VR28LT
19-12-2016, 04:49 PM
Hi all, i just took the wifes car for a drive after she complained that the car was doing strange things on take off. After a quick spin i found a very noticeable shudder on take off when switching from 1st to 2nd gear in D mode. When i tried in S mode and manual mode i couldnt replicate it but it did appear when put back into D mode. Anything heavier then a light take off the car shudders pretty hard.

Ive called the dealer up to book it in asap but my question is regarding warranty, is it 3yrs or 5 for the dsg box? this car hit the 3yr mark in october of this year so im hoping that the dsg is covered for 5yrs.

I daily a mk6 gti which is also a dsg and its been faultless, we have 8 VWs in the family all being dsg with only our Caddy diesel being a manual. None have given us as much trouble as this mk7 has grrrrrh

Eaglehawk
20-12-2016, 06:13 AM
Depends on when you ordered your car.

Golf brochure with the 5 year warranty: http://www.eaglehawk.com.au/download/214991-golf-7-brochure-web-final.pdf

Golf brochure with standard warranty: http://www.eaglehawk.com.au/download/214991-golf-7-brochure-web-no-dsg-warranty.pdf

Basically, it seems end of July 2013, they switched back to standard warranty. But that doesn't mean anything if they sold it to you with what appears to be standard 5 year warranty. Good luck.

Dutch77
20-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Yes the 5 year warranty deal was for a short term period at the height of the (false) DSG scares.

VW actually told me 'we are dropping back to three years because if we keep it at five people will think something is wrong with it' - I would prefer to have bad thoughts and peace of mind myself.

How many of the other DSGs in your family group are six speed/wet a la your GTI v the seven speed/dry box? Unfortunately that's where the problem may lie.

VR28LT
20-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Well i have it booked in for Friday, its done approx 30k and is 1.5 months past the 3 years warranty :( Im 100% sure it has a problem . According to the wife its been present for a long time but she thought it was normal, she only said something because the shudder got worse. If im out of luck and vw dont cover the costs then i wll trade it in for the same car but in a manual.

VR28LT
20-12-2016, 07:11 PM
Yes the 5 year warranty deal was for a short term period at the height of the (false) DSG scares.

VW actually told me 'we are dropping back to three years because if we keep it at five people will think something is wrong with it' - I would prefer to have bad thoughts and peace of mind myself.

How many of the other DSGs in your family group are six speed/wet a la your GTI v the seven speed/dry box? Unfortunately that's where the problem may lie.

7 dsgs in total 5xdq250 6sp 1xdq500 and 1 piece of s@#t dq200 7sp

VR28LT
21-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Depends on when you ordered your car.

Golf brochure with the 5 year warranty: http://www.eaglehawk.com.au/download/214991-golf-7-brochure-web-final.pdf

Golf brochure with standard warranty: http://www.eaglehawk.com.au/download/214991-golf-7-brochure-web-no-dsg-warranty.pdf

Basically, it seems end of July 2013, they switched back to standard warranty. But that doesn't mean anything if they sold it to you with what appears to be standard 5 year warranty. Good luck.

if i could get my hands on this brochure i could argue thats what i bought the car because it said it had a 5 year warranty on transmission hahaha
see how we go on Friday. Other then the shudder its such a great versatile car

VR28LT
25-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Ok so i dropped the car off on friday for its 3 year / 45k service and to report the shuddering gearbox.... although the car is out of warranty by about 7 weeks VW have given us a xmas present and accepted a goodwill claim and will be replacing the clutch packs. Strange thing is that when i picked the car up the shudder has all but disappeared !? how on earth is this possible lol Ive driven about 200kms since picking up the car running around town doing the xmas shopping and its driving better then ever. It has me questioning if i should even bother to go ahead with goodwill claim

mummbles
25-12-2016, 07:05 PM
Do it, you won't get another go with them willing to fix it for nix I wouldn't think.

Valvster
25-12-2016, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE= It has me questioning if i should even bother to go ahead with goodwill claim[/QUOTE]

Most definitely get the clutch pack done as you will get the latest issue with upgraded larger spigot bearing, actuating lever, friction material and an additional 2 year warranty on the work.

mister_p
11-03-2017, 09:13 PM
Hi all

After 3 years of juddering and software updates, VW finally gave in and installed a new clutch pack in my 2012 1.4 TSI 160PS mk6 golf under warranty.

The clutch part no. is 0AM198140S which I have not been able to find much information on anywhere. On a few popular forums, I came across an older 0AM198140C mentioned.

Does anyone know much about the 0AM198140S ? Is it the same as the latest clutch pack used in the mk7 ?, has the judder/wearing issue been addressed ?, Will the clutch last much longer ?

Since the onset of the judder, I started using manual mode in traffic situations and managed to squeeze 50,000 miles out of the factory clutch pack. However, I am now at a crossroads where I wonder if I should sell the car or use it for another 3 years using manual mode when required.

Thanks

zardoz
23-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Heya,

I've got an MY14 Wagon with the 7 speed DSG.

I've had shuddering issues from about 6 weeks of ownership. I previously had the mark 6 wagon with the same 7 speed transmission and it was so good to get back into a smooth car - for a while. I would have bought an R wagon at the time if they existed just so I could get away from the 7 speed but they didn't exist...

I finally convinced my dealer to replace the clutch packs and all was well for about another 4-6 weeks and now the issue has returned.

I do notice the issue as a slight loss of power as well and the ACC struggles to make sense of the shudder.

Interesting to see mention of the wastegate rattle. I get a metallic rattling/vibration sound on takeoff especially when the car is colder. Wonder if that's it...

Is there a revised part number that should avoid this issue? My car runs out of warranty in August and I am keen to have this resolved. The last time I had the car in at the dealer, they had it for nearly two weeks (required a sunroof re-fit due to a leak) so I am losing a lot of time with this vehicle that is, otherwise, magic to drive.

I really don't want to go back to the dealer every three months for a cluck pack replacement :(

Liammm
12-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Heya,

I've got an MY14 Wagon with the 7 speed DSG.

I've had shuddering issues from about 6 weeks of ownership. I previously had the mark 6 wagon with the same 7 speed transmission and it was so good to get back into a smooth car - for a while. I would have bought an R wagon at the time if they existed just so I could get away from the 7 speed but they didn't exist...

I finally convinced my dealer to replace the clutch packs and all was well for about another 4-6 weeks and now the issue has returned.

I do notice the issue as a slight loss of power as well and the ACC struggles to make sense of the shudder.

Interesting to see mention of the wastegate rattle. I get a metallic rattling/vibration sound on takeoff especially when the car is colder. Wonder if that's it...

Is there a revised part number that should avoid this issue? My car runs out of warranty in August and I am keen to have this resolved. The last time I had the car in at the dealer, they had it for nearly two weeks (required a sunroof re-fit due to a leak) so I am losing a lot of time with this vehicle that is, otherwise, magic to drive.

I really don't want to go back to the dealer every three months for a cluck pack replacement :(
Hey Zardoz ,

Volkswagen has released a revised clutch pack repair kit for the newer 7 speed dsg . I have only recently noticed the new style clutch in the last month or so. This new style clutch ends with a part number G instead of the previous letters L or M and S. As far as I'm aware this new style clutch combats both the squeaking and shuddering issues.

If your unhappy with the way your car is changing gears whether it's a noise or shudder . Call your local dealership voice your complaints and ask for a test drive with a tech or foreman.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

zardoz
02-08-2017, 07:34 PM
Hey Zardoz ,

Volkswagen has released a revised clutch pack repair kit for the newer 7 speed dsg . I have only recently noticed the new style clutch in the last month or so. This new style clutch ends with a part number G instead of the previous letters L or M and S. As far as I'm aware this new style clutch combats both the squeaking and shuddering issues.

If your unhappy with the way your car is changing gears whether it's a noise or shudder . Call your local dealership voice your complaints and ask for a test drive with a tech or foreman.

I've got a test drive with the foreman tomorrow, as they can't seem to find anything wrong this time. Car has approx two weeks left of warranty, so I am very concerned. Just like suspension squeak and wastegate rattles that they can't find, either... nor rattles in the door. Hopefully I can show them *something*.

The loaner vehicle has shudder issues, too! And it's worse!

zardoz
03-08-2017, 08:26 PM
Hey Zardoz ,

Went on the test drive and what do you know, it behaved perfectly. I wish I could have that tech in the car all the time! They also applied a software update to my engine, so I'm not too sure if that's reset a few things. I noticed the gearbox was changing at slightly higher revs than usual, but that could be attributed to our cold spell and the fact that it was the first time the car was driven today.

The car has the S clutch packs fitted. Apparently, according to the tech there (he's a master tech), the S packs are the latest. Is there any documentation I could point him to that states that the G packs are the ones to get?

Given the issue is documented as intermittent, I hope that they'll honour any issues that crop up in the next few months as I expect it to be more obvious.

Liammm
03-08-2017, 11:14 PM
Depending on the model (DQ200) gearbox and issue . The part numbers and design of clutch pack repair kit will vary. In order for the dealer to be paid for any work carried out under warranty the dealer must follow strict guidelines and procedures . The easiest way for this to go pear shaped would be if the dealer has charged out incorrect part numbers . So I'm almost certain they would have fitted the correct revised clutch pack with the latest software update.

Mickmok
19-09-2017, 11:02 PM
Hi sorry about new post but I can't find anything about the issue I'm having with my 2012 Golf TSI.

Initially I was having the shudder in D2 after driving for a bit and stop start driving. I got the clutch packs replaced by a dealerships under warranty but after I got the car back I noticed the car appeared to slip throughout acceleration in D3 and D4. This wasn't happening prior to getting the clutch packs done.

I ended up taking it to another dealer as the first one refused to admit it was an issue. The second depart replaced the clutch packs and the flywheel. But the same issue remains. Now they are saying they can't replicate it.

Has anyone heard of this before? To me it seems like the gears are slipping for a fraction of a second especially if going up hills when the car is cold. But I even notice a very small amount of movement in the tacho in D6 when cruising. Any help would be great as I may need to try pointing the dealer in the right direction.

Thanks

blower
20-09-2017, 12:38 PM
Hey Zardoz ,

Heard it all before from VW....new revised clutch back fitted in 2012, on my Mk6 160ps (118kw)....15000 miles later its shuddering. Come 2015, new revised clutch pack fitted. 20,000 miles later its shuddering.

Now the shuddering is back again, i've had enough so bit the bullet on a project idea i've had in the back of my head for a while....the nuclear option....

Retrofitting a 6 speed dual WET clutch box from a Mk5 1.4 tsi 125kw.

Not cheap, not easy and hard to get hold of a used wet clutch for the 1.4 tsi as not many model years were fitted with them and you can't retro a wet dsg from any other engine as the bell housing is different

Besides from the box i have to also change:

-starter motor
-both axles
-dual mass flywheel
-needle bearing
-gearbox mount
-Coolant lines for the dsg oil cooler
-New clutch pack (this is a used box with 68k miles, don't know what condition clutch is in so bought a new one)

Also had to reverse engineer and rewire the mechatronics connection, along with work out exactly where the dsg oil cooler should connect up to the coolant circuit, along with the bypass thermostat.

It should all work, and with luck i'll have the smooth box i had in my last car (mk5 tdi dsg) - which i really really miss...

Got pretty much all the parts now, including the used box which arrived today. Will start the install soon and do an install log somewhere on this forum.

LibraR
21-09-2017, 06:54 PM
Heard it all before from VW....new revised clutch back fitted in 2012, on my Mk6 160ps (118kw)....15000 miles later its shuddering. Come 2015, new revised clutch pack fitted. 20,000 miles later its shuddering.

Now the shuddering is back again, i've had enough so bit the bullet on a project idea i've had in the back of my head for a while....the nuclear option....

Retrofitting a 6 speed dual WET clutch box from a Mk5 1.4 tsi 125kw.

Not cheap, not easy and hard to get hold of a used wet clutch for the 1.4 tsi as not many model years were fitted with them and you can't retro a wet dsg from any other engine as the bell housing is different

Besides from the box i have to also change:

-starter motor
-both axles
-dual mass flywheel
-needle bearing
-gearbox mount
-Coolant lines for the dsg oil cooler
-New clutch pack (this is a used box with 68k miles, don't know what condition clutch is in so bought a new one)

Also had to reverse engineer and rewire the mechatronics connection, along with work out exactly where the dsg oil cooler should connect up to the coolant circuit, along with the bypass thermostat.

It should all work, and with luck i'll have the smooth box i had in my last car (mk5 tdi dsg) - which i really really miss...

Got pretty much all the parts now, including the used box which arrived today. Will start the install soon and do an install log somewhere on this forum.

Mate good luck with that. It seems like a huge amount of hassle and expense to retain the 1.4 motor. Selling and getting a GTI not an option you considered?

Hopefully it all works out well for you in the transmission transplant...

Stiv
15-10-2017, 08:13 AM
Just like to add another clutch pack issue. 90 tsi comfortline golf 7, 27,000km and driven twice a week to work without crawling in traffic as we don't have many stops along the way and it's not city driving. Vw replaced it under warranty, lucky as we had 2 weeks till the 3 years warranty was up. Service tech did mention it happens a lot and also to the gti clutch packs as my thought was to upgrade. When we did purchase dealers advised us the mechtronics/gearbox issues were fixed and wouldn't be an issue in the golf 7, we did research prior to buying and were well informed of these issues in previous cars. Anyhow great car, great service from vw for instantly fixing the issue for now. Was advised the cost was 2k to fix without a warranty. Now have to decide if I should upgrade the warranty for 2 more years and sell it straight away or just sell it as is.
Thinking 2 years warranty would help with the sale, thoughts?

LibraR
16-10-2017, 04:46 PM
How much for the 2 year warranty extension? Given the 90tsi is likely to be a sub $20k sale proposition, if the extra warranty is circa 10% of that value or something like that, I don't think I would bother with it.

Sell it as it is, and put those funds towards the new one. I'd be going wet clutch DSG next time if you are staying with a Golf for the next car. That means performance model or diesel variants.

Stiv
16-10-2017, 05:03 PM
Decided to extend the warranty through vw, Eric extended mirror image to new car dealer warranty.
Can't remember the price for 2 years, 1330 for 3 years, 1680 for 4 years, and 1815 for 5 years. Bought the 5 years extended and hoping it sees us through for the next 2+ years without to many issues.

gh172
18-10-2017, 01:03 PM
I had my clutch packs replaced last week after I was getting the clutch squeal. I was also getting a gearbox thump when the car was warm in heavy stop start traffic. Mostly after I was sitting at a red light for a long time the car would make a big thump before accelerating from stand still. Since the clutch packs have been replaced the changes are much smoother, the squeal has gone but the occasional bloody gearbox thump remains. Never been able to reproduce the issue with a dealer test drive. So frustrating and makes me wish I'd gone the diesel for the wet clutch gearbox. I was also assured the gearbox issues were over when I bought my car. I think I'm going to have to call for a quote on an extended warranty but I'm sure last time I checked they didn't quote me $1330. That's a great price!

LeeMan
21-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Hi

Went to see VW service on Thursday 19/10 as I was getting a moaning groaning sound from my Golf Wagon. Car has done 12k and I have been getting the noise for about 1k on and off. Before I dropped in, I made sure I could replicate the problem. Problem is evident in 1st gear crawling along. It stops when it goes to 2nd. Service guy had no problems identifying the noise and indicated it was the clutch plates.
No issue in getting this fixed under warranty.
I am usually a manual guy but VW does not do manuals in the Highline wagon.
My points are
1. Try your best to replicate the noise and identify when it occurs before going to VW. Tried to record the noise but nothing replaces the service guy hearing the noise himself !
2. Warranty is designed to fix problems. So fingers crossed it gets fixed permanently as the Golf is a great car to drive. It's my 2nd Golf and I am very happy to them except for this DSG problem (previous car was a manual).

shadank
18-02-2018, 07:20 PM
Hey guys,

First post, about to buy my first car, looking to buy a MK7 7sp TSI. I've tried reading through most of this thread, as far as I understand, apparently most of the dry clutch issues were for the 7sp in the MK6, but the DSG issues are still prevalent with the MK7 just not as much as the MK6?
Is there a verdict on which model year onwards is more safer for the MK7 in the TSI auto?

Basically tossing up between a MK7 TSI or a MK6 GTD, I'd rather a MK7 TSI (the 118TSI) but if it's too risky then I'll keep looking for a nice MK6 GTD.

Wartai
18-02-2018, 10:18 PM
We had a MK6 118TSI and got rid of it and now have a MK6 GTI (6sp DSG) and havent looked back, If it was me, I would take the MK6 GTD .. I wouldnt own a 7sp DSG again

Dutch77
19-02-2018, 07:43 AM
.. I wouldnt own a 7sp DSG again

".. I wouldn't own a [DQ200] 7sp DSG again."

bgroper
19-02-2018, 06:58 PM
+1
Mk6 GTD

sVWatt
20-02-2018, 10:52 AM
Driving a 7.5 TSI 7 speed. No issue. Smooth, if not smoother than the 6 speeder I had in the S3 and GTI.

li_dawg
15-03-2018, 01:34 AM
Like the user above, looking to buy a first car (Golf) but I'm not sold on the DSG issues and they are putting me off, is this a widespread issue or simply have people been unlucky? Does the problem persist and is unfixable, i.e. the DSG is just screwed for the lifetime of the car and has the MK7.5 fixed all these issues?

LibraR
15-03-2018, 10:52 AM
+1
Mk6 GTD

+2
VW will fix under warranty but what then?

LibraR
15-03-2018, 10:56 AM
Like the user above, looking to buy a first car (Golf) but I'm not sold on the DSG issues and they are putting me off, is this a widespread issue or simply have people been unlucky? Does the problem persist and is unfixable, i.e. the DSG is just screwed for the lifetime of the car and has the MK7.5 fixed all these issues?

Wet clutch units are pretty billet proof. New 7 speed DQ381 is arguably near perfect. Dry clutch DQ200 7 speeds are more problematic. Trouble is the wet clutch units are on the high end sports versions with Golf R motor.

Good argument with the Minister for War and Finance as to why you “need” a Golf R

sVWatt
15-03-2018, 11:44 AM
the DQ200 recall remedial work was around high humidity affecting the electronics connectors contained within the mechatronics unit. The affects included loss of transmitted engine power and judder etc.

I dont believe current units are problematic.

It's a bit like the scare mongering that went on when the early 1.4 engines had issues and lots of people started to comment the 1.4 would be scrapped. It wasnt, but it was enhanced with modifications (as all manufacturers do on a continual basis), and now is rock solid.

If your buying new, you have peace of mind.

timb
11-05-2018, 11:04 AM
2014 Golf Mk7 90 TSI with problems in 1st and 2nd gear - DQ200. It's weird - half throttle results in walking pace until it gets to 3rd gear. 70k kms. Spoke with VW Australia and they advised to take it to local VW dealer for diagnosis. Comments that it would be covered if 'a manufacturing fault' but that there is no 5 year warranty on drivetrain. Diagnosis is $152/hr.

Kachingg
11-05-2018, 12:07 PM
Thats rubbish 5 years on that gearbox is the warranty been approved by the accc
Don't let them flim flam you

egipp
30-05-2018, 07:16 AM
Our 2013 Mk7 Golf auto developed a judder on hill starts at around 84000kms and one month short of 5 years old. Our VW dealer thought that a software update could clear the fault but when it didn't they replaced the clutch pack and provided a loan car for the two days without any quibbles at all and at no cost to us. The car now drives like new and we are very pleased with both the dealer's and VW's service over this problem.
The base car warranty is for three years, the transmission is 5 years warranty.
I should add that this is the only fault we have had on the car.

aim54x
02-08-2018, 08:27 AM
I had a clutch plate package replaced a few months back, at ~22000km on my 2016 Comfortline....it came back so much smoother.....sadly despite changing the slip joint in the steering it still creaks. I'll ask again when it gets serviced.

GTI_PAPA
02-09-2018, 07:36 PM
I have two identical golf wagons. One has had 2x clutch packs replaced, whereas the other has been fine. Finally the other has developed a slight squeal from 2-3. It was only every other drive, but now quite regular. It's 12 months out of warranty and thought it would be worthwhile contacting VW oz about it, and their reply was that the clutch is only covered under 3 year warranty. After reading previous messages, thought it would be covered, but am now confused. Can anyone shed any light on this.

LibraR
12-09-2018, 06:33 PM
I have two identical golf wagons. One has had 2x clutch packs replaced, whereas the other has been fine. Finally the other has developed a slight squeal from 2-3. It was only every other drive, but now quite regular. It's 12 months out of warranty and thought it would be worthwhile contacting VW oz about it, and their reply was that the clutch is only covered under 3 year warranty. After reading previous messages, thought it would be covered, but am now confused. Can anyone shed any light on this.

I’d put it on them for a warranty replacement. Use the words “statutory warranty” and see how you go. It’s a known issue. If no joy escalate the issue to VW Aus and tell the dealer you plan to do this.

wagenwagon
12-10-2018, 12:14 AM
I have a March 15 built 103tsi highline. Bought as a demo March 16 1991kms on it.
I had done 160k virtually trouble free motoring as far as the dsg goes.. within the first year of driving car I had an intermittent fault message something along the lines of
“Error shift to P and take to workshop”
Which was kind of bad advice when car was moving 😂 never really bothered me much..
This was apparently linked to the gear selector mechanism which I had replaced under warranty. Haven’t had message pop up since.

Roughly 12 to 18mths of driving I would get a squeaky noise between shifts, usually 2nd to 3rd I’m pretty sure.. when driving sedately with boost sort of half mast. Never under hard shifting. As I’m aware it’s usually the softer more gradual, slower gear changes that cause the most friction and wear..

At about 160k I had mechatronics unit fail. I was actually commenting about the squeaking noise to a passenger at the time before hand and was trying to re-enact the noise.. with great success it appears..
I thought I munched the gearbox, was half way round turning out of an intersection probably in second in drive then a bit of a “thud” then free revving I’m pretty sure it went into neutral..?? Then I think I was in first.. car refused to shift to second revved pretty high then grudgingly went to 3rd..

Anyway had to drive home with gears 1 - 3 - 5
NO REVERSE

It was actually pretty driveable lol. Took a bit of getting used to manual shifting 1st to 3rd.. sat
On 105 instead of 110 because revs were higher in 5th no 6 or 7.

I have a question for anyone that knows about what goes on at dealerships???

Would they replace clutch pack as well as mechatronics unit? And just tell me it was mechatrinics unit?? The noise seemed
Like a clutch problem but I didn’t get a clutch replaced just the dsg brain

And the squeak is gone now... ?
Sort of wondering if one day down the track I might have a clutch go on me..

wagenwagon
12-10-2018, 07:58 PM
YouTube (https://youtu.be/-b5Jq-U1guQ)

Also makes this noise from 1st to second under half throttle, is worse on slight uphill

ChristopherJ
30-12-2018, 07:53 PM
I have a 2015 Highline with 45k on it, lately its been making a odd noise reversing, turns out its needs a clutch pack. Lucky for me, my dealer is doing under Good Will and wont cost me anything other then the loan car for a few days. I'm glad I took it in now, I knew something just wasn't right.

Ryeman
30-12-2018, 08:16 PM
I have a 2015 Highline with 45k on it, lately its been making a odd noise reversing, turns out its needs a clutch pack. Lucky for me, my dealer is doing under Good Will and wont cost me anything other then the loan car for a few days. I'm glad I took it in now, I knew something just wasn't right.

I hope you didn’t give them the impression you were grateful.
I’d be right p*ssed?

ChristopherJ
30-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Look I've been pretty lucky, I haven't had many issues with this car up and till early this year. My last problem earlier in the year was just as my warranty expired and VW paid for the fix, now there paying for this one. Not ideal for anyone to have problems and hopefully I don't have anymore but at least it isn't costing me anything yet....