PDA

View Full Version : Tinting front indicators and tailights...

Golf Houso
20-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey there, has anyone done this before? I was contemplated using film, but that seems rather messy and complicated. Is there a type of paint I can use to achieve this effect, I'm quite the amateur panel beater.

The MK3 is getting a massive overhaul in the looks department, its not funny how much time I'm spending on it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Soundofav6
20-12-2007, 10:41 PM
hey there.. Rayray use red film that he ordered from the states. He would be help you when he comes online. But this is his blog on the tail light section.

http://rayray086.blogspot.com/2007_03_01_archive.html

fuzion
20-12-2007, 11:14 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/12/spraynightshadespurplecan200-1.jpg

you can get these bottles "shades" etc and tinting bottles.

if you do it, clean your lights properly before u spray, finish it with a clear coat and dont go too dark because if someone runs into you or you have an accident the word tinted lights come into it your insurance gets voided.

rayray086
21-12-2007, 05:55 AM
I've used the VHT Nite Shades before and wasn't really happy with the finish. Best thing to do is use tinting film for the better finish. I've used tinting film for my rear lights:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/09/CIMG6094-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/04/CIMG6093-1.jpg

They were from empiregfx.com. With the front indicators though, you could just grab some Laminex or similar tinting film and apply it. The film from empiregfx.com may be easier to apply, but they're quite a bit of money for what they are.

Oh, and applying the film isn't messy at all. Just have a blow-dryer and detergent solution in a mist spray bottle with you when you do it, and you can easily work the film around curved edges and the like without having any creases.

rayray086
22-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I had a go with at black tint spray and I must say, that is alot harder to apply effectively than paint. Its a real pain in the arse... One tailight should be done well in an hour, i'll post some pics up. As for the other, it just refuses to stick properly without spots where it doesn't stick... even after furious cleaning...

Might help with a light sand of 600 grit.

rayray086
23-12-2007, 05:52 PM
Whoa that looks dark!

Golf Houso
23-12-2007, 06:05 PM
That was a sheit picture, plus its like 7pm anyway...

here are two better ones one with flash and one without:

rayray086
23-12-2007, 06:38 PM
Ahhh nice one :)

Golf Houso
23-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Ones drying as we speak, so I'll have them both installed tommorow!

Soundofav6
23-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Looks good... what colour is your mk3 again ?

Golf Houso
23-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Dragon green, not the best colour for tinted things, they look alot better than the freebie altezza's I had one. But also keepn in mind I've got wheels resprayed in black, just got smoked indicators just like 99 gti's smurf, front skirt painted in gloss black same as the wheels and the sides and rear plastic skirt will be done hopefully before boxing day, lol probably not.

It'll all look good when its finished, very slick and very very mean.

I'll keep you all updated!

rayray086
23-12-2007, 09:27 PM
Golf Houso, you're the one with the multi-spoke wheels and the ones I gave a thumbs up too at the Victoria St/Cumberland Hwy intersection right?

Golf Houso
23-12-2007, 09:33 PM
Yep, my mum was in car as well hahaha!

I actually had a pair of black wheels on the left side as opposed to the silver colour on the right that you saw lol!
I noticed your car so I beeped, I see your car a fair bit around, no other mk3 like it! :)

Back on topic, just finished light 2 and it doesn't look bad, pretty much the same as light one but slightly darker on the outside edge. Its pretty hard to get them even to be honest but after a few goes I've gotten it right BOOYA!

Piccies for tommorow arvo!

rayray086
23-12-2007, 09:54 PM
Haha awesome! It'll be good seeing them on Thursday's meet :thumbup:

Golf Houso
24-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Haha yes definately on thursday, but these lights are just too dark to be legal...

God they look good though, my dad's loving them lol j:

Problem is, then light coming through is reduced by the coloured plastic, which is then tinted again by the night shades film spray. Would work well on clear lights, but I realy don't want to ruin my altezza set to be honest. I'll have a look on fleabay for tinted rears here are some more pictures of these fabulous yet dubiously legal looking lights!

You'll see em' this thursday anyway... Seeya then ray