PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, R36 :(

Steve
22-03-2016, 07:55 PM
After 8 years of happy motoring, my R36 has been put out to pasture in the South East of South Australia.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/finalr36-1.jpg

I really wanted to buy another Passat but VW, in their infinite wisdom, haven't made an interesting version since the R36 and I don't see that changing any time soon and they really don't have anything else I'm interested in. The Golf R wagon is too small and the engine is boring in that I see a long future for two litre turbo fours, but a shorter future for anything much larger. After much thought and some consideration of the RS3 (too small) and RS4 (too old, too small) and a brief but pointless lust after the RS6 (too much $$$) I went to the Mercedes shop in Mount Gambier and ordered this to replace the R36:

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/c63wagon1-1.jpg

I picked it up yesterday. Unsurprisingly, it's a bloody fantastic car. I drove it back from Mount Gambier and it really made the R36 feel like hard work. The C63 is much quieter, easier to drive, more comfortable, has more assistance, steers better, and feels better on the road. Bumps that would upset the R36 and everybody in it are mostly glided over. It's not surprising - the C63 is 8 years younger and twice the price the R36 was, and I'd never quantified the difference back to back on the same roads with any more modern car. A Golf R would probably have been a revelation :)

There's still a VW in Dad's garage but he's not really a fan of the Amarok, so I don't know how long that will last...! Maybe the next generation RS4 will get me back into the VAG fold :)

I'll miss the R36. I wish I could have kept it and I hope the new owner treats it well, because I'd love to buy it again if I can. For now, though... I'm falling in love with another German :driver:

ope126
22-03-2016, 09:37 PM
You Sir, have a very, very nice C63 there!!!

Steve
22-03-2016, 10:15 PM
You Sir, have a very, very nice C63 there!!!

Thank you :) It's a really cool car! It wasn't easy to part with the R36 and I wish I could have kept the Passat lineage going but it wasn't to be. The C63 makes me feel ridiculous, to be honest. It's a bit embarrassing!

Eaglehawk
22-03-2016, 10:52 PM
*jaw drop*

SMOKEY
23-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Green with envy, what a car! Congrats. Hopefully the secret of quick long roof's stays under wraps a bit longer, if so, that will surely hold it's value (reasonably) well.

I'm not sure what the whole 80's graphics pack direction that AMG is going in at the moment is all about though. I understand that they're trying to appeal to the younger market that M and RS division have, but what I loved most about AMG cars of years gone by is the understated classiness. I'd would opt for the delete box.....

Wicked car, enjoy it in good health!

Steve
23-03-2016, 09:19 AM
*jaw drop*

Mine drops every time I walk up to the car, get in it, and start it up. I still don't know how I managed to convince myself it was a good idea!

Green with envy, what a car! Congrats. Hopefully the secret of quick long roof's stays under wraps a bit longer, if so, that will surely hold it's value (reasonably) well.

I'm not sure what the whole 80's graphics pack direction that AMG is going in at the moment is all about though. I understand that they're trying to appeal to the younger market that M and RS division have, but what I loved most about AMG cars of years gone by is the understated classiness. I'd would opt for the delete box.....

Wicked car, enjoy it in good health!

Thanks, mate. The car is an absolute beast. It sounds like a cross between a dragon and a battleship - if that makes any sense. I love the "long roof" phrase - I'll have to add it to my vocabulary :) I'm hoping you're right with regards to holding the value - that's one of the reasons I bought the car rather than something less ridiculous and keeping a bunch of money in the bank. I'd rather have fun and lose a little rather than gain a little without the masses of fun :)

The pattern on the side is actually a result of a box I ticked rather than a box I didn't. It's indicative of the "Edition 1" package, which as well as the wheels and stripe and red accent on the lips (****ty iPhone photo below), radically changes the interior. I bought it for the interior with the plan to remove the side stripes but at the moment I kind of like them. I think the package works really well on a wagon, particularly a silver wagon.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/mgc634-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/mgc632-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/03/mgc633-1.jpg

The interior gets the red infused carbon fibre centre and the red diamond stitched seats. Other options are regular black carbon fibre or a matte black wood panel, with seats in either black with white/grey stripes on the side, or white or red inserts. White will never stay white and red is way too gaudy for me. I really love the interior as it is now.

I'm already planning my first mod: a secondary catalytic converter delete to improve the sound a bit. It sounds great, but it isn't as loud as I'd like in the cabin.

SMOKEY
23-03-2016, 10:53 AM
Oh my........that interior, that quilted leather, is amazing. That is worth it, and if you ever have to you can always remove the decals.

Haha, can't believe you're already getting into the exhaust. I'm assuming this has valve actuated mufflers? Can you wire them open?

I think the wagons protect their value better than the sedans, purely from a scarcity perspective. I've been looking at the E55 wagons, W211 series. They routinely command 25% more than a sedan equivalent, and when they do come up for sale (rarely) they go fast.

Jakeys
23-03-2016, 11:18 AM
I don't like the stickers at all but that interior is absolutely gorgeous! Good choice ticking that box. This is a massive upgrade from an R36 mate! No wonder you feel the difference.

Regarding your comment "A Golf R would probably have been a revelation" - not so. I tracked one in a VW Driver Experience day around Mallala last year, I was expecting to be blown away but came away a little disappointed. There is no doubt in my mind that the R36 is the superior car unless you wanted to tune for max performance, where the Golf would then win. Stock for stock the Golf R is technically faster by a little but feels no different to me, yet the R36 has far more creature comforts, quality and size. The only appreciable difference is a bit more weight in the rear on the R36 promoting more of an oversteery feeling on long corners. But keep in mind I have the race Haldex on mine so I get more rear bias.

Funny story, I recognise your driveway. Someone was asking my advice on your old R36 listing on Carsales, I told him I wouldn't normally go for an MY08 but it looked like a good example. But you've sold it obviously so I guess he's missed out, sadly.

Steve
23-03-2016, 09:46 PM
Oh my........that interior, that quilted leather, is amazing. That is worth it, and if you ever have to you can always remove the decals.

Haha, can't believe you're already getting into the exhaust. I'm assuming this has valve actuated mufflers? Can you wire them open?

I think the wagons protect their value better than the sedans, purely from a scarcity perspective. I've been looking at the E55 wagons, W211 series. They routinely command 25% more than a sedan equivalent, and when they do come up for sale (rarely) they go fast.

The seats are cool but the red carbon fibre bits are even cooler! That said, I think my favourite part of the cabin is the switchgear and the tactile feedback I get. The window switches feel great, and I don't really know how to explain it. They're heavy but well weighted and pivot at the right point and don't just feel like bits of plastic. Everything feels great, and looks really cool at the same time.

I can keep the exhaust open whenever I want with a button on the centre console. Even in comfort mode! The best way go get the pops and crackles I want is with the engine in "race" mode and the exhaust in "sport +" mode - the most aggressive available option. My "individual" settings are: engine in "race" mode, transmission in "manual" mode (flappy paddles), exhaust in "sport +" mode, ESP on, suspension in "sport" (there are comfort, spot, and sport + settings" and I think that's the perfect configuration for how I drive. The exhaust just isn't loud enough in the cabin. When I test drove one (after I'd ordered it!) I was always in the wrong gear because I shift by sound rather than by tachometer and I think the same is true now. I just can't hear enough - or haven't learnt to hear what I need to - to change gears. If I'm not paying attention I'll be cruising around at 60km/h in second gear, which is silly...

The W211 E55 is an absolute beast. I hope you find one - they're one of the coolest wagons ever :)

I don't like the stickers at all but that interior is absolutely gorgeous! Good choice ticking that box. This is a massive upgrade from an R36 mate! No wonder you feel the difference.

Regarding your comment "A Golf R would probably have been a revelation" - not so. I tracked one in a VW Driver Experience day around Mallala last year, I was expecting to be blown away but came away a little disappointed. There is no doubt in my mind that the R36 is the superior car unless you wanted to tune for max performance, where the Golf would then win. Stock for stock the Golf R is technically faster by a little but feels no different to me, yet the R36 has far more creature comforts, quality and size. The only appreciable difference is a bit more weight in the rear on the R36 promoting more of an oversteery feeling on long corners. But keep in mind I have the race Haldex on mine so I get more rear bias.

Funny story, I recognise your driveway. Someone was asking my advice on your old R36 listing on Carsales, I told him I wouldn't normally go for an MY08 but it looked like a good example. But you've sold it obviously so I guess he's missed out, sadly.

I reckon I had the R36 for about 3 years too long, but there just wasn't anything the replace it with that I could afford at the time. I've always wanted an RS4, but by the time I could spend the money the C63 was the better car and my first choice. I ended up trading the R36 for more money than a lot of the Carsales low-ball offers, which was satisfying. It was a great car, but... well, you saw the ad. There were a few problems with it :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a Golf R as a road car compared to the R36, and particularly as a touring car. I'm sure a new R will be a nicer car in general than an 8 year old R36, but you raise some good points. I actually started the journey to the C63 by looking at a Golf R. Don't ask me how things changed :)

The stickers have grown on me. I'm keeping them for now. Despite all of the grey hairs I'm young enough to get away with it :) The only thing I don't like is that the stickers attract a lot of attention. So much for stealth mode (said he who wants a louder V8) :)

Jakeys
23-03-2016, 11:13 PM
I reckon I had the R36 for about 3 years too long, but there just wasn't anything the replace it with that I could afford at the time. I've always wanted an RS4, but by the time I could spend the money the C63 was the better car and my first choice. I ended up trading the R36 for more money than a lot of the Carsales low-ball offers, which was satisfying. It was a great car, but... well, you saw the ad. There were a few problems with it :)

I was thinking more along the lines of a Golf R as a road car compared to the R36, and particularly as a touring car. I'm sure a new R will be a nicer car in general than an 8 year old R36, but you raise some good points. I actually started the journey to the C63 by looking at a Golf R. Don't ask me how things changed :)

The stickers have grown on me. I'm keeping them for now. Despite all of the grey hairs I'm young enough to get away with it :) The only thing I don't like is that the stickers attract a lot of attention. So much for stealth mode (said he who wants a louder V8) :)

Yeah, I know what you mean with replacing it. I look at the market and I think there is genuinely nothing I'd replace mine with except a CLA45 and for me as a 23 year old that would be out of budget for now anyway. Which is fine, because I love my car. I bought it optioned up and I'm retrofitting the things it didn't have because it's the perfect car for me and I look forward to owning it for many years.

I don't really think the Golf R is better than the R36 at being a road car or a touring car. Touring is no question the R36's area, and unless you want something slightly smaller, or you want to tune the Golf for max powahhh, I think it's just better period. R36's are virtually untuneable but you can turn some very good numbers out of the Golf if you've got the cash for the higher stages. So it wins there, speed. And I guess age/maintenance. But it doesn't feel newer, it doesn't feel quicker although it is marginally, the interior isn't as good, the exterior isn't as good (Sure many won't agree with me on this though), the power delivery isn't as smooth, it isn't as comfortable, and I hear it's not really that much more economic either. The R36 gets a lot more right, in this biased owner's opinion.

SMOKEY
24-03-2016, 09:45 AM
The W211 E55 is an absolute beast. I hope you find one - they're one of the coolest wagons ever :)

So much for stealth mode (said he who wants a louder V8) :)

There were two E55's for sale at the same time only a couple of months ago. Similar km's and price. One in Vic, on in NT. By the time I got my ducks in a row they'd both gone and I haven't seen any come up since. Hence I am here looking at R36 wagons! Yes they are a BEAST of a car, but realistically and practically, the R36 is the more sensible choice.

My plan with the E55 was always to fit a set of QTP Cutouts to the exhaust, dumping just before the diff. It pretty much gives you srtaight-out race pipes at the flick of a button, dumping straight onto the road under the car. It won't get much beefier than that! Maybe that's something you could look into and fit at the same time as the resonator delete??

It would be really neat to get them to cut the resonator section out when you do, flange the stock exhaust on both sides - then have the straight pipe flanged and bolted in between. That way it's totally reversible. And if you want to weld in a set of these cutouts down the track, you just can remove that straight pipe section and have them slotted in - again, not requiring you to hack the exhaust up more.

SMOKEY
24-03-2016, 09:46 AM
Here's a vid that might explain it a bit better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQYxRwRpEQ

Jakeys
24-03-2016, 10:05 AM
Here's a vid that might explain it a bit better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErQYxRwRpEQ

That's exactly what I wanted to do to the R36 before I scored the Innotech iPE valvetronic. I think it's a great idea, only thing is even pointing at the road you will slowly get soot forming in that area of the car you'll need to occasionally clean up.

SMOKEY
24-03-2016, 10:34 AM
That's exactly what I wanted to do to the R36 before I scored the Innotech iPE valvetronic. I think it's a great idea, only thing is even pointing at the road you will slowly get soot forming in that area of the car you'll need to occasionally clean up.

How cool are they! I just like the idea of having a subtle and classy car 95% of the time, but then being able to open straight pipes up when you want to flex a bit and unleash the hounds of hell. Tunnel run anyone??

Possibly, but I'd say that a bit of carbon build up under the car would be the least of your worries. You could go hardcore and run some pipes out under the sills G55 style - but it would cost you ground clearance and probably a lot of headaches from the 5-0.

I think the other con is that it 'may' lead to some heating of the floor in that area if you sit in heavy traffic with the cut-outs open.

I have read that they automatically default to 'shut' when you turn the car off. But as if you wouldn't open them on every cold-start.....we've got an underground garage in our town-house complex, my neighbours would haaaaaaaate me. :facepalm:

Sqeaky
24-03-2016, 08:56 PM
Just to weigh in on the discussion, I bought my R36 new and sold it after 4 years when I moved into a Touareg R line. Great car but missed the R36. Subsequently moved on from the Touareg and into a new Golf R. I still miss the R36 and would even consider one again if the right one came up. I also had one of the last Golf R32 but much preferred the R36. Maybe I just have a soft spot for them or perhaps I should look into a C63!