PDA

View Full Version : I hate this damn DPF

GermanwithaVdub
19-12-2007, 09:31 PM
i never imagined i would have to think about this stupid DPF (diesel particulate filter) in my new golf but... it comes on so damn often and its getting really annoying. i live in sydney ffs, how in hell am i supposed to drive a constant RPM's for 10-15 minutes every time the damn thing has a hissy fit, as the manual tells me i should do.

does this sound normal?

do any other dubs have these things in it and if so, have you had the same experience? (all you mkv owners dont have DPF's unless you have a gt tdi or a passat 125 tdi even if your dealer told you otherwise)

i'm not happy i think im gonna call the service place

Spoddy
19-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Have you noticed much oil usage? Maybe the on off throttle stuff in the city is causing a rich mixture and a bit of oil usage to clog things up a bit?

GermanwithaVdub
19-12-2007, 09:46 PM
Have you noticed much oil usage? Maybe the on off throttle stuff in the city is causing a rich mixture and a bit of oil usage to clog things up a bit?

no i havent checked... will do when it stops raining. ive only used bp diesel also :(

Spoddy
19-12-2007, 09:47 PM

I have a better idea... we can swap cars... I wanted a DPF you don't :D

GermanwithaVdub
19-12-2007, 10:06 PM
I have a better idea... we can swap cars... I wanted a DPF you don't :D

hehe yep you can find the dpf in my next council cleanup :D

gregozedobe
20-12-2007, 12:34 AM
i never imagined i would have to think about this stupid DPF (diesel particulate filter) in my new golf but... it comes on so damn often and its getting really annoying. i live in sydney ffs, how in hell am i supposed to drive a constant RPM's for 10-15 minutes every time the damn thing has a hissy fit, as the manual tells me i should do.

does this sound normal?

do any other dubs have these things in it and if so, have you had the same experience? (all you mkv owners dont have DPF's unless you have a gt tdi or a passat 125 tdi even if your dealer told you otherwise)

Hello GWaVD, I've never seen a DPF message on my TDI (Transporter 5cyl 128Kw with DPF). I've had it for 15,000km in 11 months. I don't think they are meant on come on very often at all. I do give mine a short burst of full throttle every 1/2 hour or so (usu 2nd or 3rd gear), but nothing remotely like driving at a constant RPM for 10-15mins. :confused:

What is your normal driving style ? Driving Miss Daisy, car thief ("drive it like you stole it") or somewhere in between ? Unless you are always very gentle I would suspect some kind of fault which you should report to your sevice area.

Please let us know how it turns out.

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 01:05 AM
Hello GWaVD, I've never seen a DPF message on my TDI (Transporter 5cyl 128Kw with DPF). I've had it for 15,000km in 11 months. I don't think they are meant on come on very often at all. I do give mine a short burst of full throttle every 1/2 hour or so (usu 2nd or 3rd gear), but nothing remotely like driving at a constant RPM for 10-15mins. :confused:

What is your normal driving style ? Driving Miss Daisy, car thief ("drive it like you stole it") or somewhere in between ? Unless you are always very gentle I would suspect some kind of fault which you should report to your sevice area.

Please let us know how it turns out.

hate to say it but im more of a "drive it like you stole it" type... full accelerator very frequently, even if its only in short bursts. my fuel consumption sits at around 7 - 8 around town if thats an indication :rolleyes:

i guess that im burning more fuel means more crap going into the filter and less time for it to burn off, but youd think that the damn think would be engineered well enough to accept city driving :???:

ill call the dealer tomorrow and check back. only trouble is i have one of the very first 125kw tdi engines in the country so they probably wont have a clue.

gregozedobe
20-12-2007, 09:42 AM
ill call the dealer tomorrow and check back. only trouble is i have one of the very first 125kw tdi engines in the country so they probably wont have a clue.
Maybe go for a night drive on a freeway and leave it in 3rd (or 4th) gear for 10 minutes to see if it can clear the DPF (have to be worth trying and more convenient than going to a dealer) ? If you are frequently giving it a burst for a short time that is producing soot which is being trapped in the DPF, and if you then have to slow down because of traffic the DPF possibly isn't getting hot enough for long enough to burn this soot off.

I mostly do highway driving, so my DPF gets different uasge to yours.

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Maybe go for a night drive on a freeway and leave it in 3rd (or 4th) gear for 10 minutes to see if it can clear the DPF (have to be worth trying and more convenient than going to a dealer) ? If you are frequently giving it a burst for a short time that is producing soot which is being trapped in the DPF, and if you then have to slow down because of traffic the DPF possibly isn't getting hot enough for long enough to burn this soot off.

I mostly do highway driving, so my DPF gets different uasge to yours.

i know i can clear it, but thats not really my issue. my issue is that i have to keep clearing it which is wasting my time. so many cars get used only in the city i think there must be something wrong with it if its throwing me the dpf fault every time i drive it.

neil
20-12-2007, 05:06 PM
The DPF may not be blocked but have another technical problem.
My manual states the light may come on "if there is a fault in the diesel
particulate filter" It also states if the filter is saturated this will cause
"increased fuel consumption and engine performance reduced".
Have you noticed an increase in your fuel figures or reduced performance.
Neil.

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 05:27 PM
The DPF may not be blocked but have another technical problem.
My manual states the light may come on "if there is a fault in the diesel
particulate filter" It also states if the filter is saturated this will cause
"increased fuel consumption and engine performance reduced".
Have you noticed an increase in your fuel figures or reduced performance.
Neil.

i havent really had the car for long enough to tell, and my driving hasnt been consistant either but it still seems to have the right amount of go :???: got the car booked for the 28th. im sick of frequenting the volkswagen service place lol.

neil
20-12-2007, 05:37 PM
i havent really had the car for long enough to tell, and my driving hasnt been consistant either but it still seems to have the right amount of go :???: got the car booked for the 28th. im sick of frequenting the volkswagen service place lol.

So have you been able to clear the filter with heavy driving so the
light goes off or has the light been on permanently.

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 05:46 PM
So have you been able to clear the filter with heavy driving so the
light goes off or has the light been on permanently.

i think the idea is to drive along a motorway or empty road to keep constant revs to clear the filter. i have been able to clear the warning a couple of times by doing that but i havent really tried it in the last few days and hence the light has been on constantly. ill take it out tonight when the roads are quiet and give it a bit of a cruise. i should be known as the dpf slave :rolleyes: :P

neil
20-12-2007, 05:54 PM
i think the idea is to drive along a motorway or empty road to keep constant revs to clear the filter. i have been able to clear the warning a couple of times by doing that but i havent really tried it in the last few days and hence the light has been on constantly. ill take it out tonight when the roads are quiet and give it a bit of a cruise. i should be known as the dpf slave :rolleyes: :P

Just remember Double demerits start tonight.

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 06:07 PM
Just remember Double demerits start tonight.

oh no... oh well it makes no difference except for the more cops, one more point and im gone anyway :( i got done last double demerits

Spoddy
20-12-2007, 08:35 PM
oh no... oh well it makes no difference except for the more cops, one more point and im gone anyway :( i got done last double demerits

Simple - Keep to the speed limit but stay in a low gear to keep the revs above 2k

orsegtsport
20-12-2007, 09:27 PM

does this sound normal?

I've not experienced this problem myself, but I have only done 1600 km so far. Are you driving in heavy traffic (it's Sydney so I'm guessing so) more often than not?

My daily commute to work is a 90 km round trip on a relatively traffic free hwy with a 110 km/h speed limit, so in theory my DPF should be getting a good 'clean out' every day, and hopefully I will never have this trouble.

gregozedobe
20-12-2007, 10:05 PM
ill take it out tonight when the roads are quiet and give it a bit of a cruise. i should be known as the dpf slave :rolleyes: :P
Sounds like a good excuse to go for a drive when there isn't any traffic ;)

gldgti
21-12-2007, 07:14 AM
basically mate, i would say its your driving causing this.

if you want a diesel to produce maximum power, it will always be producing black smoke. you don't get a lot less power to go back to no smoke.... maybe 5-10%.

if you have a DPF, you wont be noticing smoke like you might normally, since it all gets caught in the filter. however this also means you don't realise how hard you are pushing it.

given the only difference between a 104kw diesel and a 125kW 2.0tdi is engine management, then the more powerful car will have to produce more smoke on the limit.

for someone like you, a dpf is the wrong thing to have - what you really want is more boost and a free flowing exhaust - your trying to drive a factory, restrictive, low emissions exhaust system for maximum power - and now your dpf is paying for it.

i would warrant that your fuel economy would improve, and your smoke emissions decrease, if you got your car fitted with a sports exhaust and ran higher boost, without an increase in fuelling.... but if you're unwilling to modify your car, then i suggest you change your driving style.

i drive my mk3 TD like i stole it too - its great fun - but i can see if im making smoke, and i can ease off a little. you need to be concious of this fact while driving.

another important thing to note, is that your exhaust gas temps (EGT'S) skyrocket under high load, smoke producing situations. high egt's heat up the entire engine quickly. over a long time, this will prematurely wear some engine components, especially your rings, valves, valve seats etc.

if you're going to drive it hard, at least treat the car to some equipment that lets it do it easily.

oh, and change your oil OFTEN. if your getting 7-8l/100 km, then i'd be changing your oil every 3-4000 km or less.

good luck mate, have fun with your diesel

nav
21-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Hi GermanwithaVdub,

Simple - Keep to the speed limit but stay in a low gear to keep the revs above 2k

I agree with Spoddy. I had the same problem when I first got my GT TDI and being in Sydney, it was a pain in the arse. To avoid the problem, I changed my driving habits. I found that I was flooring it in too high a gear. Now I drive in a lower gear with the revs around 2k. You can still drive it like you stole it ;-)

Logzy
21-12-2007, 02:44 PM
basically mate, i would say its your driving causing this.
I hope i dont have to learn to drive again when i get mine.!!!

if you want a diesel to produce maximum power, it will always be producing black smoke. you don't get a lot less power to go back to no smoke.... maybe 5-10%.

if you have a DPF, you wont be noticing smoke like you might normally, since it all gets caught in the filter. however this also means you don't realise how hard you are pushing it.

given the only difference between a 104kw diesel and a 125kW 2.0tdi is engine management, then the more powerful car will have to produce more smoke on the limit.
If youre referring to the 2.0 TDI then its either 103kw or 125kw
As far as i know engine management cannot change the compression ratio, the 103kw is 18:1 and the 125kw is 18.5:1 so theres obviously other differences.

for someone like you, a dpf is the wrong thing to have - what you really want is more boost and a free flowing exhaust - your trying to drive a factory, restrictive, low emissions exhaust system for maximum power - and now your dpf is paying for it.
Does this mean that in europe when all diesels eventually have a DPF (if it happens) then you cant drive hard any more.

i would warrant that your fuel economy would improve, and your smoke emissions decrease, if you got your car fitted with a sports exhaust and ran higher boost, without an increase in fuelling.... but if you're unwilling to modify your car, then i suggest you change your driving style.

i drive my mk3 TD like i stole it too - its great fun - but i can see if im making smoke, and i can ease off a little. you need to be concious of this fact while driving.

another important thing to note, is that your exhaust gas temps (EGT'S) skyrocket under high load, smoke producing situations. high egt's heat up the entire engine quickly. over a long time, this will prematurely wear some engine components, especially your rings, valves, valve seats etc.

if you're going to drive it hard, at least treat the car to some equipment that lets it do it easily.
What equipment?

oh, and change your oil OFTEN. if your getting 7-8l/100 km, then i'd be changing your oil every 3-4000 km or less.
Why 3k or less sound a bit often.

Can the DPF be removed and a full flow exhaust system be fitted without too much hassle. I wonder.

GermanwithaVdub
21-12-2007, 03:40 PM
thanks for the replies and advice.

gldgti - all the points you make are completely valid, and because the dpf cant handle my driving this makes me very annoyed. the impression might have been taken that i drive like a complete maniac but this is not true. sure i like to accelerate hard quite often but its not as if im some vl driving bogan behind the wheel if you know what i mean. i have a project car already (see sig) so i'm not really too thrilled about the idea of having to modify my daily driver just so i can drive it normally.

in my view if you pay 40000$ for a car specifically for the luxuries such as extra power, sports suspension, high build quality, good fuel economy etc etc etc then the bloody thing better be working for me, not me working for it. if they're gonna ruin the whole point of the car with one dumb peice of equipment, i say to volkswagen to chuck the stupid thing in the bin and try again.

As far as i know engine management cannot change the compression ratio, the 103kw is 18:1 and the 125kw is 18.5:1 so theres obviously other differences.

it has a bigger turbo, i did some research on that very subject just a few days ago sparked by a thread someone posted

What equipment?

i think he was referring to an exhaust

95vr6
21-12-2007, 04:19 PM
You might want to try the DP Chip, extra power without flooring your gas pedal all the time. I miss the module when i remove it for service, noticable difference without it in and more black soot out the back as you try to compensate for the loss of power with the right foot. Do you drive in the torque or power range?

gldgti
21-12-2007, 06:55 PM
I hope i dont have to learn to drive again when i get mine.!!!

Does this mean that in europe when all diesels eventually have a DPF (if it happens) then you cant drive hard any more.

What equipment?

Why 3k or less sound a bit often.

Can the DPF be removed and a full flow exhaust system be fitted without too much hassle. I wonder.

i stand corrected on the technical differences. i dispute the importance of 1kw.

if you produce a lot of soot during driving, then the oil gets dirtier faster. thats why you change it more often.

the equipment i was referring to was the exhaust etc... i thought that was obvious.

obviously i'm not trying to say that you cant drive vehicles hard if you have a DPF - that kind of inference is ridiculous. if you want a diesel to drive hard with dpf, then they will make a bigger DPF or put more than one in the system.

I certainly was not calling you a bogan VL driver mate - i appreciate the tendancy to drive diesels hard - i've owned more diesels than petrols.
i don't think you need learn to drive again.

i just offer you a theory about the reason your DPF light keeps coming on.

if i were you, keep driving it as you like. if you kill the DPF, thats no biggie. its an excuse to get a new exhaust.

gldgti
21-12-2007, 06:59 PM
thanks for the replies and advice.

if they're gonna ruin the whole point of the car with one dumb peice of equipment, i say to volkswagen to chuck the stupid thing in the bin and try again.

damn right - and you may well find that happens as this problem surfaces in more and more customers cars.

GermanwithaVdub
21-12-2007, 08:29 PM
damn right - and you may well find that happens as this problem surfaces in more and more customers cars.

dont want you thinking i was having a go at you, i was just having a whinge at vw j: anyway we'll see what the vag com throws, it could be a simple faulty sensor or something i guess.

GermanwithaVdub
21-12-2007, 09:29 PM
update - took the car out tonight and 50m down the street the engine fault light came on and limp home mode kicked in. tried driving at constant revs for a bit but didnt help. i guess this is dpf related. i guess its a good thing in a way because it means its faulty and not just a crap design.

gldgti
22-12-2007, 08:21 AM
indeed, we shall see - good luck with it

Spoddy
27-12-2007, 09:15 PM
update - took the car out tonight and 50m down the street the engine fault light came on and limp home mode kicked in. tried driving at constant revs for a bit but didnt help. i guess this is dpf related. i guess its a good thing in a way because it means its faulty and not just a crap design.

Hey, whats the latest? Have you had to do without driving the new toy over the Christmas break? Or is it fixed?

Hope you had a good Christmas regardless. Happy New Year coming up too. We are heading to Crescent Head. No Golfing though :(

neil
28-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Yeah come on German. We want an update. its the 28th already.

also tell us what was it like in the limp mode.

GermanwithaVdub
31-12-2007, 02:21 PM
haha sorry guys, was on holiday down the coast - mimosa rocks national park, great place.

the car is still in the workshop. quote from dealer "the dpf was all clogged up so we've ordered a new one". his wording of "all clogged up" and not something like "faulty sensor" or "air leak" or something has made me slightly worried, i mean is this just gonna keep happening once a month or what :???:

so anyway i get the car back on wednesday. ill ask them to give me the clogged up dpf and if they give it to me ill try and have a bit of a closer inspection and/or donate it to you spoddy :P

as for how it drives in limp mode... well its in the same league as my dads 121 bubble... only slightly slower lol

maybe the dub knew what would happen if we were alone on the southern roads during 2 weeks of double demerits and decided to crap itself to save my license hehe

happy new year to all you guys

TDI Dude
01-01-2008, 06:44 PM
I'd say that you won't be getting the DPF back as it will be a warranty claim and dealers have to keep warranty items when replaced to prove they are not doing dodgy claims. Maybe ask the dealer when you get the car back what was the most likely cause of it clogging up. And remember guys and gals double demits finish tonight at midnight!!! Wooo Hoooo

haha sorry guys, was on holiday down the coast - mimosa rocks national park, great place.

the car is still in the workshop. quote from dealer "the dpf was all clogged up so we've ordered a new one". his wording of "all clogged up" and not something like "faulty sensor" or "air leak" or something has made me slightly worried, i mean is this just gonna keep happening once a month or what :???:

so anyway i get the car back on wednesday. ill ask them to give me the clogged up dpf and if they give it to me ill try and have a bit of a closer inspection and/or donate it to you spoddy :P

as for how it drives in limp mode... well its in the same league as my dads 121 bubble... only slightly slower lol

maybe the dub knew what would happen if we were alone on the southern roads during 2 weeks of double demerits and decided to crap itself to save my license hehe

happy new year to all you guys

TDI Dude
03-01-2008, 02:18 PM
So mischa formerly known as...... how did ya go with the dealer.. got the car back yet??? :)

gregozedobe
03-01-2008, 09:58 PM
Seems like DPF problems aren't a purely VW TDI thing -

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1872/jaguar-s-type-xj-diesel-particulate-filter-recall/

"Whats wrong?: When these vehicles are driven under a unique driving pattern where the vehicle is predominantly used for short journey distances, under slow driving style and light throttle application, excessive soot and hydrocarbons may become trapped in the Diesel Particulate Filter (DFP).

The DPF on 2.7 Litre V6 diesel engine vehicles may exhibit smoke and/or fire from the underside of the vehicle, flames emanating from within the rear exhaust tailpipe or an orange glow from the underside of the vehicle. Heat from a fire within the DPF can radiate to the surrounding vehicle components and may lead to heating of the underside of the transmission tunnel and subsequent melting of the interior components and potential interior fire."

Mischa
04-01-2008, 12:20 AM
Seems like DPF problems aren't a purely VW TDI thing -

http://www.caradvice.com.au/1872/jaguar-s-type-xj-diesel-particulate-filter-recall/

"Whats wrong?: When these vehicles are driven under a unique driving pattern where the vehicle is predominantly used for short journey distances, under slow driving style and light throttle application, excessive soot and hydrocarbons may become trapped in the Diesel Particulate Filter (DFP).

The DPF on 2.7 Litre V6 diesel engine vehicles may exhibit smoke and/or fire from the underside of the vehicle, flames emanating from within the rear exhaust tailpipe or an orange glow from the underside of the vehicle. Heat from a fire within the DPF can radiate to the surrounding vehicle components and may lead to heating of the underside of the transmission tunnel and subsequent melting of the interior components and potential interior fire."

thats some scary stuff... lol this dpf business is more dangerous than the traffic

car was meant to be back on wednesday but of course it wasnt ready. they say possibly tomorrow (yeah right) so im guessing monday :mad: ill grill the service guy and see what he says about what went wrong and report back

95vr6
04-01-2008, 09:23 AM
thats some scary stuff... lol this dpf business is more dangerous than the traffic

car was meant to be back on wednesday but of course it wasnt ready. they say possibly tomorrow (yeah right) so im guessing monday :mad: ill grill the service guy and see what he says about what went wrong and report back

Did you get a free loan vehicle while your car is at Chatswood Classic getting fixed?

Mischa
04-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Did you get a free loan vehicle while your car is at Chatswood Classic getting fixed?

...i was hoping no one would ask that lol :rolleyes: ...yes i did...

guess what they gave me? a bloody light vomit green coloured beetle. ive been driving my mums car since shes on holiday lol.

neil
04-01-2008, 06:14 PM
...i was hoping no one would ask that lol :rolleyes: ...yes i did...

guess what they gave me? a bloody light vomit green coloured beetle. ive been driving my mums car since shes on holiday lol.

Haha nice one Mischa.
Can see you now in the light green beetle adjusting the flower on the dash board.
Hope it came with the flower???.
Neil.

Spoddy
05-01-2008, 09:05 PM
ill ask them to give me the clogged up dpf and if they give it to me ill try and have a bit of a closer inspection and/or donate it to you spoddy :P

Nah I'm enjoying the smoke when you plant the foot and tear away from those behind...

I'm looking forward to driving my TDi tomorrow... been away on holidays for a week at Crescent Head - great place, monster surf, great time.:D

Sick of the Kluger... but it was fun on the beach :D

Mischa
05-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Haha nice one Mischa.
Can see you now in the light green beetle adjusting the flower on the dash board.
Hope it came with the flower???.
Neil.

lol no flower thanks for caring though :rolleyes:

but get this, it actually does come with a little vase next to the steering wheel to put a flower in!!!!!!

Nah I'm enjoying the smoke when you plant the foot and tear away from those behind...

I'm looking forward to driving my TDi tomorrow... been away on holidays for a week at Crescent Head - great place, monster surf, great time.

Sick of the Kluger... but it was fun on the beach

lol yeah i miss seeing the cars behind me engulfed in smoke... better them than my exhaust system i think :D

speaking of missing TDI's... i want my car back :(

btw do you surf?

Spoddy
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
btw do you surf?

I'm a body surfer from way back but only do it occasionally these days (maybe a couple of times a year) We do have a board though but yet to be used by the kids.

Are you a surfer? If so how did you learn as I would like to get the kids to try it.

Mischa
06-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm a body surfer from way back but only do it occasionally these days (maybe a couple of times a year) We do have a board though but yet to be used by the kids.

Are you a surfer? If so how did you learn as I would like to get the kids to try it.

ah yes i guess you could call me that... not very good at it though but its still heaps of fun.

i used to surf when i was 10yrs old or so and then didnt get on a board for another 8 years. when i did it was on a 6"3 board and had a hell of a hard time learning again as im not exactly small lol.

dont bother with lessons, its much more fun teaching yourself :) easiest way would be to pick up a mini-mal (can get them for a couple hundred i think, theyre about 7 - 9 foot from memory) to learn on and move up from there. never too late for you to give it a go though eh!

watch out chatswood classic cars service centre because tomorrow im gonna give you hell!

Spoddy
06-01-2008, 10:54 PM
pick up a mini-mal (can get them for a couple hundred i think, theyre about 7 - 9 foot from memory) to learn on and move up from there. never too late for you to give it a go though eh!

That's what we have :) about 7ft. Left it up at Crescent Head with cousins - not sure when it will make it back to Sydney but hopefully in the next few weeks. The intent is to use it on the northern beaches near Collaroy.

watch out chatswood classic cars service centre because tomorrow im gonna give you hell!

Go firmly but remember you do want it fixed with TLC.. ;)

Mischa
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
ok well i know its hard to believe but chatswood classic cars actually gave back my car today. aaaand i stalled it when i tried to leave :P god that thing is so sensitive after driving a goddamn beetle lol.

well i tried to delve a bit deeper in to what actually was wrong with it and they said they had no idea and that mine was the first one to go through with a dpf. but what was interesting is they also said theres a few more waiting to come that are complaining about the filter so maybe it is a design fault afterall? i guess we'll see in another month or two if mine breaks down again.

oh and for the read-lazy: the fault with my car was a dpf fault and they replaced the filter because it was "all clogged up"

but for now my face is :D :D :D to have my dub back :D

VW Convert
08-01-2008, 01:28 PM
ok well i know its hard to believe but chatswood classic cars actually gave back my car today.

So soon? LOL j:

well i tried to delve a bit deeper in to what actually was wrong with it and they said they had no idea and that mine was the first one to go through with a dpf. but what was interesting is they also said theres a few more waiting to come that are complaining about the filter so maybe it is a design fault afterall? i guess we'll see in another month or two if mine breaks down again.

Interesting that they indicate others have this problem, if this were so common a problem surely it would have reared it's head overseas and been resolved well before the DPF found it's way to Oz.

Cheers

George

Rod_H
11-01-2008, 07:49 AM
We prolly have a problem with these cars because our speed limits are so low.
These cars should be zooming around Autobahns at 160+ k's. Not tootleing around at 40kph because we mite kill someone if we go over the magic number set by the government..:?

Spoddy
11-01-2008, 10:07 AM
but for now my face is :D :D :D to have my dub back :D

So how happy are you? IS the car behaving as it should???

Mischa
11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
So how happy are you? IS the car behaving as it should???

so far so good! im so attached to that car lol. think yourself lucky for not having a dpf.

We prolly have a problem with these cars because our speed limits are so low.
These cars should be zooming around Autobahns at 160+ k's. Not tootleing around at 40kph because we mite kill someone if we go over the magic number set by the government..:?

funny thing is it did 600km's of fast driving not long before it shat itself, i would have thought that would have been ample time for it to clear itself :???: still hoping it was just my dpf that was faulty

Mischa
18-01-2008, 07:27 AM
sorry to bore you with this crap but the good ol' diesel particulate peice of **** warning light is on again... *sigh*

gregozedobe
18-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Bugger ! Maybe it wasn't a faulty filter after all.

CAUTION: The following is uninformed speculative technical material by a non-mechanic, and should not be relied upon in any way, shape or form:

Next suspect would be the controlling electronics. AFAIK the ECU/s monitor the flow resistance in the DPF to detect a build up of soot particles, then add in extra fuel to the combustion process to heat up the DPF to get it hot enough to burn of the soot. That is why it tells you to drive above certain revs for x minutes (it can't produce the extra heat at low engine revs).

Other possibilities are:

Faulty sensor/s (ie the DPF isn't actually blocking up, but the sensors think it is)

Faulty programming (possibly threshold level set too low, causing DPF problems to be reported when there aren't any)

Partial blockage further down the exhaust raisng backpressure (but I thought the sensors were supposed to measure pressure differential across the DPF).

Whatever, I hope they find and fix the problem quickly, not muck about for months when they don't really know the cause.

Logzy
18-01-2008, 12:34 PM
sorry to bore you with this crap but the good ol' diesel particulate peice of **** warning light is on again... *sigh*

Not boring us at all.
I was waiting for your head to pop up again even though i was hoping it wouldnt considering what I'm getting in March.

I do hope this is just a problem with someting on your vehicle and not going to be a common thing.

Does anyone know if the DPF can be removed and the ecu programmed to not light up the warning light?:???:
Surely the DPF would create alot of exhaust restriction and with it removed we would get more power and faster spool up of the turbo too maybe.??

Mischa
18-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Not boring us at all.
I was waiting for your head to pop up again even though i was hoping it wouldnt considering what I'm getting in March.

I do hope this is just a problem with someting on your vehicle and not going to be a common thing.

Does anyone know if the DPF can be removed and the ecu programmed to not light up the warning light?:???:
Surely the DPF would create alot of exhaust restriction and with it removed we would get more power and faster spool up of the turbo too maybe.??

it can be no doubt. in fact i would much prefer to not have the dpf and one day i will certainly take it out and fit a custom exhaust. the only thing stopping me from suggesting they pay for such an exhaust is that i dont want them to do that until they know whats actually causing the problem. i mean if theres another part thats faulty i want that fixed first. but sure if its a design problem (which i doubt it is) just cut the thing out and weld a piece of pipe in instead.

i was just thinking, yours might not have quite the problem since you have the dsg; if you're lucky it will adjust its shifts accordingly to keep the soot at bay.

nav
18-01-2008, 05:47 PM
i was just thinking, yours might not have quite the problem since you have the dsg; if you're lucky it will adjust its shifts accordingly to keep the soot at bay.[/QUOTE]

My DPF light hasn't come on either after the first time and I've got a manual.

I agree that its bad design though. Its hard to keep it within the 1750-2500 mark when your plowing through 50 zone after 50 zone in Sydney. The engine doesn't sound right in third at 2000rpm...sounds much happier in fourth but then the revs drop to around 1500rpm.

Anyway hope it gets sorted mate. I'm sure all the GT Sport TDI owners are watching this thread with bated breath...

ez

briseos
29-01-2008, 06:58 PM
just discovered this long thread and read through all your problems.... I

currently have an Eos TDi and sold my 21/2 yr old 60,000k 2005 Golf 2.0TDi to buy the Eos. Both cars do around 25-30k/yr with at least 60% of that in Brisbane traffic... slow because roads are unbelievably poorly designed (traffic lights on a roundabout????).... the average speed over the last 2000kms in the Eos (No 13,500km) was 18km/h at 7.1 l/100km.... and the Golf was driven the same way. They both get a highway run around 4-5 times /year of which one is >4500km return trip avg>100km/h..... yet I have NEVER seen any sign of the DPF light and both engines have the DPF fitted.

AND the Punto does not blow any smoke but certainly goes like stink... 98kw/280nM... but lighter and manual yet >6l/100km town and country! - unaware whether it has a DPF but certainly has bigger/heavier flywheel!

The Eos engine is a hell of a lot smoother and quieter than the golf was and is just loosening up nicely now, but it NEVER blows any smoke whereas the Golf used to let it rip if your floored it.... and the Golf used oil (needed to change around 7500km each time) whereas the Eos' oil remains pristine at 13500km... ??

SO is what you guys are experiencing related to the 125kw engine (I WANT THAT ENGINE in the EOS!)... or is it because I have the DSG and rarely rev the engine >3500rpm (because there is no point - just change gear and hold on!)...

Mischa
29-01-2008, 07:11 PM
me n' the german are the same person just this is my new account :)

briseos - dont mean to offend but neither the 103kw golf nor the eos tdi have dpf's fitted. spoddy had been told by his dealer (on more than one occasion, even confirmed it when he specifically rang up to check) that his car (regular 2.0 tdi) had a dpf when in fact it doesnt. one of the selling points of the new 125tdi is that it has the dpf however let me tell you thats not a good thing lol. if you have your car up on a hoist you will find that it doesnt have one.. lucky you :P

glad to hear your eos isnt drinking oil, maybe you drove it harder when it was young and the rings were sealed better. i reckon the eos is the only convertible you can sit in without feeling like a chick. oh and that punto sounds like a blast too :D

EDIT: SORRY! i am wrong. the eos does have a dpf. there must be something else dodgy about my car but i cant face giving it away again its been in the garage half the time ive owned it.

Logzy
30-01-2008, 06:58 AM
there must be something else dodgy about my car but i cant face giving it away again its been in the garage half the time ive owned it.

Wheres those "lemon" laws that we so much need.?????

gldgti
30-01-2008, 05:30 PM
there must be something else dodgy about my car but i cant face giving it away again its been in the garage half the time ive owned it.

interesting....

do i remember wrongly about your fuel economy being less than optimal... and the dpf is clogging up... but how does it GO? compared with another maybe?

one would hope that the mechanical side of things is right - so maybe a problem lies with the engine management... who knows i spose...

i wonder if an oettinger chip would actually FIX your problem?

I seem to remember a thread from some time ago with someones toe-rag diesel. they were having some issues and it ended up being fixed by the VAG service guys re-flashing the stock ECU because it was erraneous or something like that...

cru22z
12-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi All,
Sorry to resurrect this thread. I want to know what happened to the OPs car?? I too is experiencing same problem on my MY12.5 TDI passat picked up early march 2012.