PDA

View Full Version : R36 Rear bumper.

jimmy jonkers
21-03-2016, 02:40 PM
Hey Everyone,

Just a question if anyone know how much it would be to replace or repair a white back bumper, Someone backed into it on saturday will post a picture to help show what I'm working with.

Insurance wants to charge me $1700 for excess (Due to only having the car under 90 days.)

If a new bumper is around that or less im happy to just go that option but am really after some input from you guys :)

Thanks,
Blake.

XXX-1.8T
22-03-2016, 08:54 AM
i had a similar issue

A new bumper is $1800 unpainted.

Second hand ones are hard to come by but can be had for about $800.

I had a similar issue but NRMA wanted to use second hand parts because my car is over 5 years old.

Fortunately for me they couldnt find a second hand bar so had to buy everything brand new.

In the end with labour cost them $3k.

SMOKEY
22-03-2016, 03:31 PM
Ouch, that excess is heavy - assume no note left so you have to claim on your policy?

Based on what I can see, I would investigate talking to a panel beater who can plastic weld. You might be able to get out of it significantly cheaper.

There is a chance they could repair the crack and then do a SMART repair on the damaged area which would be an adequate job for est $500. Or they could weld the crack and do a full respray on the bar to ensure perfect colour match, and replace that chrome trim piece - bumper would be good as new, est $750. Plus you protect your rating.

If you're OCD about the car, and don't like the sounds of the above - nothing much else to do except pay the excess. Doesn't sound like you'll get a new or undamaged second hand bar on there for less.

(quick google found this as an example Advanced Car Bumper Repairs by the Touch Up Guys (http://www.touchupguys.com.au/advanced-bumper-repair/) ) although I wouldn't personally recommend a mobile service, spraying a car outdoors in the open air doesn't stack up for me - you'd want a panel beater who does it in a booth.

ASR36
22-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Hi Blake, as per above it might be worth getting it repaired. I had my front bumper fixed (as previous owner had pulled part of it from a car park).

I got it done at the bump stop in eagle farm. Paid cash and saved myself having to replace the bumper.

Umai Naa!!
22-03-2016, 06:26 PM
Get it plastic-welded and repainted.

A good repairer (not SMART/Capital) should be able to do a good enough job on it that it won't be noticable at all from the outside.

SMOKEY
23-03-2016, 08:15 AM
Just to clarify, SMART stands for Small (and) Medium Area Repair Technique.

jimmy jonkers
24-03-2016, 12:47 PM
thanks guys, your all legends,

im going to get it quoted through insurance and through a good panel better i used for my early model holden, just a major pain in the ass,

ASR36 i was going to see the bump shop this week coming too they do good work over there.