PDA

View Full Version : For Sale Suggestion

ausgolfer
19-12-2007, 11:26 AM
I've made this suggestion before and think it's about time I refresh it.

I am sick and tired of seeing users post in the for sale section and then looking across to see their total number of posts : 1

I think there should be a minimum number of posts before a post can be made in the for sale section(at least 10).

This is my oppinion.

anarchycamp
19-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah id agree with that or at least some kind of control.

I guess the other issue with buying things off people who have posted once is that they could be anyone, same as eBay with people who have no feedback etc

DaveMack
19-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Mods / Admin are taking steps on this.

Dave

DubSteve
19-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Thats a good idea should have been done quite a while ago! Better to deal with people that you know then just anyone that will post once on the forum for a quick buck!

rayray086
19-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I've always agreed with this suggestion ausgolfer. Just to put things in perspective, EuroCCA has a 50 post requirement before allowing ACCESS to the classifieds section.

REDMKVGTI
19-12-2007, 02:36 PM
The mazda club I'm a mod on has a limit of 30 posts, which personally I think is too few, 50 is a better number.

FknDubbin
19-12-2007, 04:19 PM
I said the same thing earlier. Nissansilvia.com has a min post of 100. Anyone who goes around and posts stuff like" Thats sick" "Good luck with the sale" just to up theyre posts gets banned.

DaveMack
19-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I contacted Audineil and he removed his ads. He sounds like a decent enough bloke but I did remind him we have rules for selling items and we have them for good reasons.

I've forwarded his response to Admin for a final decision.

Cheers, Guys.

Dave

Tim
19-12-2007, 08:28 PM
i dont think we need to be so anal about all this stuff. sure i understand its not in the spirit of it all. But if people have genuine stuff of interest to us why shouldnt we have access to it? personally i think it would be doing us a dis-service by not allowing people to post up stuff for sale that may be of interest to the average user. i love hoarding bargains off the internet!
I think the only thing we need to be careful of is people that are promoting their businesses without taking the proper steps.

Jarred
19-12-2007, 09:54 PM
just to chime in on this one.

I think there should be atleast a minimum of 20 ish posts. Just so we can "get to know" the person behind the screen. Sure some people have cool stuff to sell; but I feel as if some people "take" advantage of the forum in this respect.

I think a minimum of 50 - 100 posts is a bit too many, but then again, if they are just here to sell their goods, 20 posts doesn't take too long...:???:

Mods are defiantly right to look into this imo.

GermanwithaVdub
20-12-2007, 01:49 AM
just my thoughts... it will also be disadvantaging us if you make a minimum post count as we miss out on potential bargains or parts we need for our cars.

its only doing us a disservice in my opinion. just a quick intro in the ad would be sufficient for me, they can bull up anything they want anyway, having minimum posts isnt gonna stop that. everyone can see that they only have 1 post and can act accordingly. if you need more mods to delete bogus ads then im happy to volunteer.

no use being greedy about our forum :)

ausgolfer
20-12-2007, 08:50 AM
I agree with most people and am a bit torn myself on the issue. I think it requires a balance, hence why I originally said 10 post minimum.

BUT referring to what GermanwithaVdub has mentioned and a few others about nabbing a possible bargain.....All of the 1st post sales I have seen have NEVER been bargains...far from it, in fact I think I'd laughed at all of them.

Again my opinion.

Jarred
20-12-2007, 08:56 AM
BUT referring to what GermanwithaVdub has mentioned and a few others about nabbing a possible bargain.....All of the 1st post sales I have seen have NEVER been bargains...far from it, in fact I think I'd laughed at all of them.

True that actually. Most seem to be dreamers. There are a few alright ones though occasionally. It's is a tough issue.

Tim
20-12-2007, 08:59 AM
over moderation is always "perceived" as a bad thing.

The poor dude that got told off the other day for posting his for sale ad as his first post without introducing himself properly didnt understand what the fuss was all about. Most likely he wont be back to contribute to the community in future cos he got yelled at first off.

Its a bit of a chicken/egg situation if you ask me. Running them out of town i dont think is the answer.

VW Convert
20-12-2007, 09:12 AM
over moderation is always "perceived" as a bad thing.

The poor dude that got told off the other day for posting his for sale ad as his first post without introducing himself properly didnt understand what the fuss was all about. Most likely he wont be back to contribute to the community in future cos he got yelled at first off.

Its a bit of a chicken/egg situation if you ask me. Running them out of town i dont think is the answer.

Like most I've been in two minds about this and I would be very wary about buying of a first poster. Tim raises some valid points and perhaps we should each be using our own judgement rather than "running them out of town" as Tim puts it.

We can each see that the seller has only limited posts and make our decisions accordingly. I guess what I'm saying is if someone post an item for sale and it doesn't appeal to us we don't respond, where is the harm in that?

Cheers

George

DubSteve
20-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Running them from the forum is never a good answer, however I feel that if we could imply a 10 post minimum, people will feel alot more trustworthy of them. Also the possibility of the membership numbers going up slightly after they don't contribute anything:?

Tim
20-12-2007, 09:19 AM
doesnt matter how many posts someone has. u should always be wary when money is exchanging hands. Its very easy for someone to do a runner with your money. And the police cant do anything. Cos it would be a civil matter.

DaveMack
20-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Over-moderate ... under-moderate ... there's no satisfying everyone. j:

For your information, Audineil is now a valued member of this community and, once the rules of 'For Sale' posting had been explained any misunderstandings were removed. He is free to sell whatever he likes in the correct thread.

Happy?

Dave

Golf Houso
20-12-2007, 10:03 PM
I've seen alot of people that have joined up for one question or to sell something to then promtply leave. I don't think there was anything wrong with telling someone off for that. Minimum 10-20 posts or something? Sounds a bit ridiculous I know but it will stop people exploiting the site I guess...

Tim
20-12-2007, 10:18 PM
Over-moderate ... under-moderate ... there's no satisfying everyone. j:

For your information, Audineil is now a valued member of this community and, once the rules of 'For Sale' posting had been explained any misunderstandings were removed. He is free to sell whatever he likes in the correct thread.

Happy?

Dave

I wasnt talking about him :P

And yes. Im always happy.

DaveMack
21-12-2007, 07:13 AM
We try to take a balanced approach (on a case by case basis). If someone is new ... the rules are explained (possibly thru an infraction message ... depending on how blatant their advertising appears) and if they persist without a satisfactory response ... we take it another step forward (delete their ads, threaten a ban). If they STILL persist ... they're GONE.

More often than not it has been done because the poster has not read the rules and once these have been explained, all is well. But we do get the exceptions.

Dave

VW Convert
21-12-2007, 07:24 AM
We try to take a balanced approach (on a case by case basis). If someone is new ... the rules are explained (possibly thru an infraction message ... depending on how blatant their advertising appears) and if they persist without a satisfactory response ... we take it another step forward (delete their ads, threaten a ban). If they STILL persist ... they're GONE.

More often than not it has been done because the poster has not read the rules and once these have been explained, all is well. But we do get the exceptions.

Dave

Nothing wrong with that approach Dave, personally I think the issue is a storm in a teacup. :)

Cheers

George

Jarred
21-12-2007, 09:56 AM
yay. tea that is shaken not stirred!

Really; at the end of the day. Who cares? Sure they may be 'exploiting' us, but oh well. As someone said before. If we don't like what they are selling, move on. These things will happen. That's life really.

GermanwithaVdub
21-12-2007, 03:52 PM
yay. tea that is shaken not stirred!

Really; at the end of the day. Who cares? Sure they may be 'exploiting' us, but oh well. As someone said before. If we don't like what they are selling, move on. These things will happen. That's life really.

x2 i agree