PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Subaru, hello VW

ROGUE
17-12-2007, 05:36 PM
G'day guys and gals.

Just thought I'd drop a line and say g'day.

Name is Damo, and have had a WRX hatch for the last few years. However, will be upgrading to a Passat Wagon sometime in the very near future. Just on this forum to read a bit more about the Passat before I buy it, and to decide on which variant I want...

Cheers and beers,

Damo

phaeton
17-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Welcome to VWwA Damo j:

Its great that you also a South Aussie :D

Anyway some may also sway you to look at Skoda which I might suggest you have a look at too.

Good Luck with the Buying :)

My choice in Passat Range is the 125kW TDI version ;)

rayray086
17-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Welcome Damo, good luck with your search for a Passat!

Ben, is the R36 coming down to Australia? Maybe it's worthwhile waiting for that to come out if it does ;)

Soundofav6
17-12-2007, 09:56 PM
welcome Damo...
My aunty just resently got an FSI passat 3.2.. gave me a ride, very happy with the comfort and design. Unfortunately couldn't convince her to do a 0-100 for me. j: she was too busy going on about the water sensor wiper, the smooth mechanism of the sunroof and the counting the interior compartments "14" from memory :rolleyes: Oh also the smoothness of the dsg gear box going probably 40 ..in a 60 zone.

Anyways.. sure you will love it, perhaps you can show me 0-100 when you get it :) enjoy your Passat shopping.

OvaltoJetta
17-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Welcome to the world of VW Damo. Enjoy the ride.

DaveMack
18-12-2007, 05:41 AM
Welcome to the forum, Damo. It's a wealth of VW knowledge and help if / when you need it. :)

Cheers, Dave

Jmac
18-12-2007, 06:19 AM
Welcome Damo , Passat is a great car going from strength to strength. A lot of bang for the buck.
You wont be dissappointed.
Cheers
JImmymac

GermanwithaVdub
18-12-2007, 06:41 AM
125kw tdi ftw!

Vene
20-01-2008, 08:22 PM
Welcome Damo, good luck with your search for a Passat!

Ben, is the R36 coming down to Australia? Maybe it's worthwhile waiting for that to come out if it does ;)

Most definitely.........I'm waiting for one j:

deemoE36
20-01-2008, 08:57 PM
welcome mate, good to see more vw-ists coming ova! :)

Vene
21-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Thanks mate.......I've heard a lot of good things about the car and the brand. I spent the better part of 2 months looking for a new car. It needed to be practical and have reasonable performance. After quite a few comparisons, the R36 came up on top. There are quicker more power cars out there but nothing within a reasonable price range. I was curious about the new Audi A4 Avant but mid 2009 release is just a tad too long to wait (not to mention a $20k price hike for less performance). Can't wait to join the club.........

Sleepy
21-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Hey Damo welcome mate....And yes another one from SA!!

Treza360
08-02-2008, 07:46 PM
G'day Damo,
I must say the Subaru drivers seem to like the R32. I've had a few now give me a grin when I give it squirt. Must be something to do with both cars having fantastic exhaust notes.
Welcome aboard and good luck in your hunt for a dub.
Cheers
Trent

Lance B
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I had a Liberty 3.0R B spec with 6 speed manual. A very nice car, but lacked low end grunt and thus was a bit of a chore to drive when you just wanted to toodle around town. It also lacked character due to the no noise mufflers.

The Passat V6 4 Motion that I have on order remedies those deficiencies of the Liberty with plenty of low end torque and a beautiful exhaust note when given a boot full. Also, the little nicities that the Germans do so well like rain sensing wipers, auto tail gate opener, umbrella holder, cargo net between front and rear even with the rear seats down, key system, auto park brake etc, etc. DSG is a dream to drive - auto with no slush!:D

richdave
16-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Welcome to VWwA Damo j:Anyway some may also sway you to look at Skoda which I might suggest you have a look at too.

I looked at the Skoda range and TBH I thought that while the price was competative and they have most, if not all the mod cons...

There are 4 things that put me off...

In order..

1. Butt ugly front (side and rear look OK BTW)
2. Interior just seemed "cheap" compared to the Passat.. Kinda like a Korean car Vs a Mazda...

3. resale... The new Skoda range is IMO a risky option. Perhaps in a couple years with a facelift and some runs on the board it may be a different story.
4. Servicing... only 2 dealers - none near home, and while I was told that my Local VW dealer could service it, they didn't know anything about it !!

Just my 2.2 cents worth (Inc GST)

t25turbo
22-02-2008, 03:59 PM
I am also a "VW - Subaru - to return to VW soon" sufferer.

It will be good to come home and then hopefully my longings for a quality vehicle, with power and prestige and practicality will cease.

Good luck Damo, The R36 is looking very good, but I 3.2 would be just as great I reckon.

phaeton
22-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I looked at the Skoda range and TBH I thought that while the price was competative and they have most, if not all the mod cons...

There are 4 things that put me off...

In order..

1. Butt ugly front (side and rear look OK BTW)
2. Interior just seemed "cheap" compared to the Passat.. Kinda like a Korean car Vs a Mazda...

3. resale... The new Skoda range is IMO a risky option. Perhaps in a couple years with a facelift and some runs on the board it may be a different story.
4. Servicing... only 2 dealers - none near home, and while I was told that my Local VW dealer could service it, they didn't know anything about it !!

Just my 2.2 cents worth (Inc GST)

Fair enough ;)

Odd that they don't know how to service a Skoda considering its a VW :???:

richdave
22-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Fair enough ;)

Odd that they don't know how to service a Skoda considering its a VW :???:

Not saying the dont know HOW to service, only that they knew nothing about any arrangement to do so for Skoda....

VW Convert
22-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Not saying the dont know HOW to service, only that they knew nothing about any arrangement to do so for Skoda....

Going by some of the posts on here about VW dealer servicing I'm not surprised to hear that. j:

Cheers

George