PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing a second hand Beetle

MJ66
29-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Thought I'd get some advice from some owners on here.

So I've got a 2012 Scirocco which is great. Girlfriend wants to get a Beetle, but new is a bit out of her budget.

There are a few 2013 Beetles around for near the 23-27k range, but the question is, is it worth buying a Beetle that's just finished it's warranty?

The Scirocco I was ok with as it has the wet 6 speed DSG (less issues), but the Beetles Dry 7 Speed is the same as the Polo's that had the problems, correct?

Is it just a DSG potential issue with the posst 2013 Beetles, or are there other things to be careful of? Is it even worth looking at a second hand one, or should she just wait until she can get one with a warranty?

Cheeers.

Lucas_R
29-01-2016, 03:47 PM
All ill say is that the 7 speed DSG is problematic and the 1.4 twincharge engine they use in the Beetle is also problematic - so buyer beware. At least if she would consider a manual gearbox then she will reduce the chance of issues.

tigger73
29-01-2016, 07:09 PM
I love the beetles but I'd only buy new and keep until the warranty ran out.

The other thing is if you can purchase one still under warranty you can then buy the warranty extension for 2 years. Though given the checkered history of the engine/gearbox combo it's pretty much a ticking time bomb. Not if its going to blow up but when.

The newer ones should be better but I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2013 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mr gee
29-01-2016, 07:26 PM
I got a 2013 mk3 Beetle (Fender Edition)
Whilst it has the twincharger 1.4L, the engine has been upgraded from CAVD to CTHD and should not have the problems that earned the CAVD it's poor reputation.

The 7 speed DSG has since had an improved clutch, remapped DSG program and the oil specification change. Personally, no issues with my car

If you do buy one, make sure it is dealer maintained as there were a couple of recall campaigns done on the car.

MJ66
31-01-2016, 03:58 PM
I love the beetles but I'd only buy new and keep until the warranty ran out.

The other thing is if you can purchase one still under warranty you can then buy the warranty extension for 2 years. Though given the checkered history of the engine/gearbox combo it's pretty much a ticking time bomb. Not if its going to blow up but when.

The newer ones should be better but I wouldn't touch anything older than a 2013 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers tigger. Yep. Would be a 2013 (newer ones). The pre 2013 just look crap inside and out (subjective of course).

Was thinking about the extended warranty. Have to look into it more.

MJ66
31-01-2016, 04:03 PM
Whilst it has the twincharger 1.4L, the engine has been upgraded from CAVD to CTHD and should not have the problems that earned the CAVD it's poor reputation.

The 7 speed DSG has since had an improved clutch, remapped DSG program and the oil specification change. Personally, no issues with my car

If you do buy one, make sure it is dealer maintained as there were a couple of recall campaigns done on the car.

Would be the same Model. Pre 2013 was CAVD I assume (just read another post on it).

Just don't like the thought of buying brand new cars, too much depreciation loss in the first few years (especially when a 2 year old car is the same model).

I'm guessing a simple tune would be worthwhile then for these engines and help with longevity? Has the 7speed DSG issues been rectified?

mr gee
31-01-2016, 08:32 PM
So far no issues with the 7 DSG. Also use 98 octane exclusively

LogicprObe
17-09-2019, 08:52 PM

I'm thinking of buying one of these.
Anyone got any issues to report?

neil
19-09-2019, 12:10 AM
Just dont buy first or second gen , quality very low .
Girlfriend with 2006 and I keep having to glue something back on.

mr gee
17-02-2020, 08:03 PM

We still got it. Almost 70k kms regular maintenance and only thing that broke was pax door lock assembly (failed electric motor - common mk5 and mk6 golf issue)

StanGran
08-10-2020, 09:49 PM
Congratulations on the purchase, but still, better keep an eye on any unnoticed issues on the car.