PDA

View Full Version : TPMS on B7 2011 PAssat (Valves or ABS sensor?)

drjekl
29-01-2016, 11:55 AM
Hey guys

I'm looking to replace the scuffed rims on my 2011 Passat, and my car has the the optional TPMS.

I know with my BMW they have a few systems, one with tyre valves with transmitters or more commonly the ABS sensor which work off the wheel speed.

Looking at the valves on my car it has rubber valves, which leads me to believe the B7 TPMS runs off the abs sensor type setup?

The car has 80k kays, and has a fresh set of cheap chinese Boto branded tyres, so surely who ever fitted the cheap tyres wouldnt have removed the TPMS valves and junked them if the B7 comes fitted with them :confused:

Finally one last question, the manual stated that the TPMS should be able to display 'live' tyre pressures on the cluster info screen. I couldn't get this info up on the cluster, so I'm guessing other markets may have the RF type valves whereas australian delivered B7's come with an ABS sensor type TPMS?

29-01-2016, 03:31 PM
That's correct, the B7 in Aus uses the ABS sensor. Therefore it can not tell the pressure, but it can tell the tyre is deflating due to a smaller circumference. I confirmed this few weeks ago when I logged into vag com.

Using the ABS sensor, although it can not tell the pressure, however it is more reliable as previous modules that used pressure sensors caused few issues apparently. e.g. the person replacing the tyres needs to be careful not to break the pressure transmitter.

I think in AUS, the Passat CC can tell the pressure. Also, in the US, it is a requirement for all new cars to be able to display the tyre pressure. Hence they use the other system there.

drjekl
29-01-2016, 08:41 PM
That's correct, the B7 in Aus uses the ABS sensor. Therefore it can not tell the pressure, but it can tell the tyre is deflating due to a smaller circumference. I confirmed this few weeks ago when I logged into vag com.

Using the ABS sensor, although it can not tell the pressure, however it is more reliable as previous modules that used pressure sensors caused few issues apparently. e.g. the person replacing the tyres needs to be careful not to break the pressure transmitter.

I think in AUS, the Passat CC can tell the pressure. Also, in the US, it is a requirement for all new cars to be able to display the tyre pressure. Hence they use the other system there.

Thanks mate for your informative reply :)

OK cool, that makes things easier! I had done a search but everything that popped up was for the R36's which seem to have the rim sensors

Hoopefully this thread may help other B7 owners in future :)

30-01-2016, 01:03 PM
Hoopefully this thread may help other B7 owners in future :)

No problems.

You are right, the B7 is only few years old, so the enthusiast community are just starting to learn it. The B7's just started to come out of warranties. That's when people start to fiddle with them and learn more about them. Specially the V6's or Highlines, they are very rare in Aus. I bought mine 12 months ago and I so far only seen one V6 Highline on the roads in Sydney.

drjekl
30-01-2016, 05:11 PM
No problems.

You are right, the B7 is only few years old, so the enthusiast community are just starting to learn it. The B7's just started to come out of warranties. That's when people start to fiddle with them and learn more about them. Specially the V6's or Highlines, they are very rare in Aus. I bought mine 12 months ago and I so far only seen one V6 Highline on the roads in Sydney.

Oh ok i almost bought a black v6 4 motion wagon in sydney. I decided since it was a family car i would be best to wait for a decent TDI highline to pop up as the V6 was fairly thirsty but jeez they offer great BFYB with the extra features as the TDI's were commanding the same $ if not more!