PDA

View Full Version : Coding DRLs on a Tiguan

arcadelt
26-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Not having much luck over in the Tiguan VCDS thread, so I though I would try over here. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up my late-2010 Tiguan to use dimmed halogen projectors as DRLs? I can set it up so the dipped lights work or the fog lights? I can also presumably use separate lights, but these would have to be installed.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachments/f153/21262-coding-drls-tiguan-img_5555-jpg

While on the subject, when I have the dipped lights being used as the DRL, is there any reason why the status would tell me to check both the left and right DRLs and show a warning light in the instrument cluster?

benough
27-01-2016, 11:20 AM
What colour is your MFD, white or red dot?

If you want just the parkers, as circled in your picture to be DRLs, then yes, you should be able to be done on white dot as the Golf 6 does it.

You can have the Projector lamps as a dimmed DRL, just full power.

You can have the fogs as DRL also but people who have strong opinions on this will get upset 😉

arcadelt
27-01-2016, 11:44 AM
Late-2010, so white MFD+. Unless you are seeing the picture differently to me, I thought I had 'circled' the projectors, not just the parkers. Irrespective, I have no interest in using parkers, as they are not bright enough. Also, not interested in fogs, as this could be misconstrued as illegal (despite this being the factory setup on my mate's Subaru STI). So, if I can use the projector lamps like the post-face lift Tiggy or MkVI Golf, how do I do that?

benough
27-01-2016, 12:05 PM
The projectors are the "low beam" lamps on the outside of each headlamp.

If you want to make them DRL's, just leave you headlamp switch to "ON" all the time. That what I do in my MK5, they turn off when the car does. You can also program them to be a DRL but from memory it affects the behaviour of the switch

arcadelt
27-01-2016, 12:43 PM
Ok, so I think I have my terminology wrong. What are the inside ones called, and can those be set up as DRLS?

benough
27-01-2016, 01:00 PM
Parkers and yes. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised but they can still be seen from a good distance. You could go down the path of getting LED parker bulbs. Powerbulbs sell good quality Osram/Philips stuff and they also sell CANBUS cancellers as well. I use them for my rear numberplate LEDs and they are great.

From memory you can do it via a combination of movements with the key and a blinker stalk without VCDS. Google. I know you can reset the service interval via a similar method.

LukePolo
27-01-2016, 01:11 PM
That Tig doesn't have projector lenses, only Tig's with Bi-Xenon headlamps have projectors.

The high and low beam pictured are reflector lenses.

Circled in the photo is the high beam reflector lens, so essentially, you want what the Golf 6 & 7 do.

Unfortunately with this model, you cannot have the high beam globe as the DRL, only the parker light (little bulb which is also inside the circled region in your photo) or your lower fog lamps.

You can find DRL coding instructions for your Ross-tech cable here.
VW Tiguan (5N) - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Tiguan_(5N))

benough
27-01-2016, 01:25 PM
The 3C Passat had projector lenses with Halogen bulbs in it. I have a recollection that Tiguans came like this at some point but happy to be proven wrong.

arcadelt
28-01-2016, 09:47 AM
Thanks for your comments, but I'm sorry to say that I think a bit of mis-information might have crept into this discussion.

My understanding is that "projectors" are a form of reflector or lens, and that this is separate from the type of bulb in that housing (and yes, I understand that you cannot put HID into halogen, etc, etc). I'm not interested in using the parkers or position lights as DRLs, but the inside head lights that normally only come on when the high beam is activated - I thought that these are called the projector lights or lamps or main beam, but I stand to be corrected. Then there are the outside head lights, which seems to have a dual function of both main and dipped beam. I have seen the inside head lights used as DRLs in a dimmed arrangement on post-face lift Tiguans and MkVI Golfs, and since my car is very-late 2010 and largely has the same instrumentation, and thus I presumed electrics, as the early (I think 2011/2012) post-face lift Tiggy, that perhaps it was possible to use VCDS to turn that function on in my car too. However, that may not be the case as I have read elsewhere that in the later cars those inside headlight also had a dual function or perhaps even a separate bulb. I just trying to get an answer of that if anyone knows for sure.

benough
28-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Hey

Can you post a close up photo of one of your headlamps?

Then we can have clarity of what bits can do what