PDA

View Full Version : red instrument cluster to full colour retrofit

benny82
23-01-2016, 07:36 PM
hello everyone I have a 08 Passat 2.0t and so far the mods I've done are footwell leds ,drl's,ops upgrade ,ssd upgrade to rns510,hid headlights ,full led interior conversion and fixed all faults so now I want to attempt something harder which is the crappy red instrument cluster and change it to a full colour one .So far I am just gathering info about the job Please let me know if anyone has some experience with this.

Does the new cluster need to be from exact same engine?
Need to change any modules -gateway etc and what revision?
Does the new one have to be 0 km's or under 100000?
Come from a left or right handed car matter?
Any additional parts? (I know about the adaptor cable)
I read that you will lose the comfort and lighting menu?
Part numbers ,there are a few different ones out there?

benny82
24-01-2016, 04:54 PM
ok I found this one from aliexpress with partnumber 35d920880A
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Volkswagen-VW-Passat-cc-B7L-color-instrument-cluster-with-280-km-h-Red-needles-Needle-Sweep/32321407793.html
does anyone no if this will replace the red cluster with no issues?

kamold
24-01-2016, 06:31 PM
You also need the instrument cluster surround trim as it'd a different shape.
Has to be from petrol engine if you have that or vice versa.
New cluster has to be set to 0km or under 100kms.
Have to copy your kms down before you remove it and program same kms into the new cluster so that it matches the engine ecu.
You may also have issues with the fuel tank sender unit with respect to proper fuel level readings. Some have 2 sender units, some have one.
I've done white to colour in mine so didn't need an adapter.
As you mentioned you will lose some convenience settings in the mfd, you'd have to update gateway and central convenience to get them back (which requires dealer tools to match immo)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

benny82
24-01-2016, 07:55 PM
oh ok sounds like a bit of a mission ,can it be upgraded to the white cluster at least or same issues?

kamold
24-01-2016, 08:37 PM
From red to white still needs adapter cable, new trim and fuel sender matching.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

benny82
26-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Ok adaptor cable ,new trim,new gateway are the easy parts so how do I over come the fuel sender issue,mine is an early 08 model and white clusters came out late 08 so there can't be that much difference?

benny82
01-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Well still researching this with no luck ,can't find anything about the fuel sender problem someone out there must of changed theirs to white or colour ?I mean why are people selling adaptor cables if you can't do it .so far the part numbers I've found start with 3AA, 3AD, 35D and 3c8 any of these close to a b6? Should I take a gamble with one of these , must be some guru's out there please.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

maximumxposure
02-02-2016, 10:25 AM
Hi Benny,

I've done the red to while MFD upgrade and have the fuel sender issue. Still trying to work out a solution to the problem. Fuel gauge when full will only show half a tank as the MFD can't read a signal for the second half of the tank. Fuel gauge works perfectly below the 1/2 point however.

Nathan

benny82
02-02-2016, 12:04 PM
I wonder if its the same for colour screens maybe I can put up with half a tank, did you have to code immobilizer ? what is your cluster part number?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

maximumxposure
02-02-2016, 12:13 PM
Hi Benny,

Couldn't tell you the part number sorry, kamold might be able to shed some light on that as it was the original cluster out of his car.

kamold
02-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Immobilizer is in the steering column in the Passat.
No matching required.
As for the fuel sender issue, it appears between red cluster and any newer cluster. So wouldn't matter if it were white or coloured.

I went from white to full colour cluster and didnt have any issues, indicating that there was a change from <MY09 when they dropped the red cluster.

maximumexposure's white cluster is a 3C0 920 871 S.