PDA

View Full Version : High Mount (3rd brake light) removal - R36 wagon

maximumxposure
18-01-2016, 08:00 AM
Hi everyone,

I had a quick search around the forum but couldn't see any info on this so I apologise if this has already been covered somewhere and I missed it.

My 3rd brake light (in the spoiler) has stopped working, pulled all the interior trim to check the wiring and it's all ok. Appears to have a small whole on the left hand side and condensation has entered it.

2 questions: Has anyone attempted the removal of the brake light and if yes what is the process? Is it a sealed unit or would I be able to open it, attempt to repair any corroded contacts and re-seal?

Thanks in advance for you advice.

Nath

Domatron
19-01-2016, 05:15 AM
Hey
I haven't done it myself but I've been told you have to remove the entire wing to get at the light. I believe you need to use some fishing line or something similar to "saw" the adhesive off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maximumxposure
19-01-2016, 08:51 AM
Hi mate,
Thanks for the reply.. seems it's going to be a fun one to fix by the sounds of it...

The_Hawk
19-01-2016, 10:01 AM
It seems insane but this post seems to say you have to remove the spoiled to get at the bulb too! :(

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f27/leaking-tailgate-r36-wagon-107505.html

Plan B: Drop by a dealership and ask them how to change the bulb... when they fall to the fetal position and quote $2,000 you know it has to be removed :P

maximumxposure
19-01-2016, 11:55 AM
haha.. Plan B sounds like a winner The_Hawk.. Good for a laugh if nothing else..