PDA

View Full Version : MY14.9 Jetta 118TSi

pocketpunch
11-01-2016, 10:39 AM
Hey guys
Owner of a Mk6 Jetta here.
Got her end of 2014, 10 days before new years.
Just discovered this forum has a Jetta only section so thought I'd join up and share !

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/3037b43c68c8a1b7d678ece030a55d2e-1.jpg

White, 6spd, twincharger base model for 19k brand new :D.

Have not had a single issue since I've had it.
Doesnt burn oil, Doesnt misfire and im at 20,000 kms now.

I use anywhere between 6.5 - 8.2l/100km across a tank (depending on driving style & weather)

Only mods I've done was plug in a RNS-510 P version.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/7d56344c2a6b98510d7608118ebae783-1.jpg

I took out the middle silencer for a short time and found it ruined the cabin quality too much.
While i now had a very gurgly throaty exhaust, it sounded way too boomy in the cabin and the car lost its premium, quiet touch.

So i had it welded back on but have now ordered a Varex adjustable muffler so i can have a bit of sound but not wake up my neighborhood :)

I heard that if we go full turbo back exhaust, the O2 sensors can throw up CELs?

If this true?

Rawcpoppa
12-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Congrats. Nice you got it in manual. A lot less things to worry about.

Turboback changes the catalyst in the exhaust usually so the car may throw a cel. Particularly if all of the cat is removed. Usually the cel can be tuned out.

CatbackB should not throw cel codes though.

pocketpunch
12-01-2016, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the advice !
Will go with catback until I can sort out vagcom and have a proper system developed.

I sometimes do wish I had gotten the dsg because the ride is so incredibly smooth, but then i just downshift and remind myself that I'm in charge of my car :D

2014 Jetta 118TSi manual.

DV+, RNS-510

Rawcpoppa
12-01-2016, 09:07 PM
Have a look here: http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=37140

Loads of advice on mods applicable to your engine.

TKNick
20-01-2016, 05:22 PM
Got the same engine and transmission combo in my MY15 Bettle; no issues with engine or its manual transmission in the 10000 km it has traveled. I think the changes VW made with the new coded CTHD 118TSI have addressed the reliability issues of the CAVD twin chargers. The different forums seem to have gone quiet with regards to MY13 onwards. Sadly there are still a some CAVD twin chargers cracking pistons.

Rawcpoppa
21-01-2016, 07:13 AM
I have a theory about the cavd engines that are cracking pistons. My theory is it happens in cavd engines built before January 2012.

ccpl
22-01-2016, 12:11 AM
Got the same engine and transmission combo in my MY15 Bettle; no issues with engine or its manual transmission in the 10000 km it has traveled. I think the changes VW made with the new coded CTHD 118TSI have addressed the reliability issues of the CAVD twin chargers. The different forums seem to have gone quiet with regards to MY13 onwards. Sadly there are still a some CAVD twin chargers cracking pistons.

I have a MY13 Jetta and MY10 Golf, both DSG 118TSI and luckily haven't had a problem with either in several years. The Golf engine does seem more spritely and responsive in comparison to the Jetta, so wouldn't surprise me if they tweaked the timing and power curves to reduce stresses on the engine. Most of the reports of issues that I've heard seem to be MY12 and earlier as well.

The_Hawk
22-01-2016, 11:14 AM
There was a software revision in 2011-ish from memory so MY12 onwards appear to have less issues (as do cars which have been tuned). It's really all hearsay as there is no consolidated stats to work from. Even the people that come through here are only a proportion of the market (that and forums tend to skew towards people with issues looking for help too).

My 2011 (MY12) Golf Cabriolet hasn't missed a beat although it's only done 24k but it has been tuned since very early on. Being manual I don't have DSG issues to worry about, but it has been down the drag strip and around a couple of racetracks too so if it was going to go bang it's been given the opportunity. *Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself*

I spoke to a fabricator yesterday about an exhaust upgrade who made a few points. As you may know the Turbo is on the front of the engine and the cat in a tiny tiny spot crammed in there too. He seemed to be of the opinion that unless you run a de-cat system (with a tune to match) that the stock setup was pretty good for what it was.

When it comes to downpipes there has been discussions for a long time and I've never seen anything particularily positive come out. Talk of needing heatshields, small spaces and the real issue of there not being a market big enough for any company to invest in (the real money is in GTI/R upgrades!).

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f20/downpipe-mk6-golf-118tsi-63890.html

Of course cat back can reduce a little weight and change the note, but not much else.

I'd love to hear what the varax sounds like (also what is costs).

Have you coded in the NAV to get the details on the MFD? A simple tickbox to get the factory things working :)

The_Hawk
23-01-2016, 10:46 AM
Oh... and you NEED one of these:

VW short shifter for MK5, MK6, and MK7 5 speed (http://www.dieselgeek.com/MK5_5_Speed_VW_Short_Shifter_p/ss-mk5-mk6sigma5.htm)

night and day difference and the install is pretty basic. Some of the best money I've ever spent (and I've had diesel geek short shifters in my last two Golfs :D

pocketpunch
23-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Yeah i was eyeing the short shifters ! Wasnt sure which one to get but will take your advice.
I just had the varex installed yesterday, but to be honest, the sounds didnt really change..
On the closed quiet setting the car is even quieter during cruise and when fully open gets a very slight burble at idle (from outside)
In the car, you cant notice a difference in tone even with the windows down.
The only thing that would change this, is removing and/or changing the stock resonator.
It muffles out too much sound...which isn't really a bad thing but you know xD.
Also its worth noting, i got the 2.5" inlet 3" twintips and the muffler is physically large.
The muffler has to sit lower under the car than usual and is slightly slanted die to the 1 exhaust hanger we have :(

If only companies made a armytrix style exhaust for Jettas... A bypass for the mufflers AND the resonator.
That would be sweet.

As for the varex, i may be removing it and putting stock muffler on. Then i might try develop my own armytrix system from home.

2014 Jetta 118TSi manual.

DV+, RNS-510