PDA

View Full Version : New head or new engine

sparkie
13-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Hi I've finally had a look at my Mk 1 Golf diesel and the head is buggered. I have a Mk diesel (turbo) in the shed with 5 speed box, but have been quoted $875 for a bare new head from VW.

What would you do? I have little experience with mechanical work, but a bit, and I am keen to learn about my car, but both and engine swap and a head rebuild are daunting, do a jump in and get my hands dirty? or entrust to my local mechanic. What chance the 1.5 will be any good elsewhere after the head is rebuilt?

I am told the Mk2 engine would be a much better drive

Any ideas welcome

cetane
13-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Firstly, why do you say the head is "buggered"? Cracks between the valve seats on each cylinder are common and they don't affect running unless they're a mile wide. Is it corroded? Can it be rebuilt or welded if necessary?

Secondly, you say you have a "turbo" motor. If it's factory then it'll be a 1.6 and the turbo heads and pistons are different to the 1.5. For example the pistons are ported to squirt oil under the piston crowns so aiding cooling and the oil drain hole in the front of the head is a different diameter. You can't use a 1.6 head gasket on a 1.5 motor.

What should you do?

Ascertain just how stuffed it is.
Consult cylinder head re manufacturers and find out how much it'll cost to refurbish it. Even if you decide to fix the 1.5 motor up still rebuild the 1.6 as they are scarce here.
If you don't want the 1.6 I'll buy it!

sparkie
13-12-2007, 04:22 PM
The head has been machined already and there is not enough room between the water inlet and the head face which needs skimming. Local engine rebuilder says it would cost $5-600 to put inserts where there are large cracks between the exhaust and inlet valve, and the local German mechani who has been in the business for a very long time, manfred says that the corrosion around the water channels near one of the cylinder heads means in needs too much off.

So I reckon it is dead.

the 1.6 is a complete engine and box and I am told it will just drop in Ha ha

Jarred
13-12-2007, 05:46 PM
Most newer engines (both petrol and diesel) up to the mk 3 golf (excluding VR6) pretty much fit into a mk 1 with little or no modification, as I understand it

I'd say go the whole hog and put the turbo diesel in! It is a big task to do all by your self, so best bet is to grab a mate or relly who has a bit of grease on thier hands and ask if they'll give you a hand. It would be worth it to find out how much it is for a mechanic to put it in tho..

smithy010
13-12-2007, 06:12 PM
It's a no-brainer.

If i had a 1.6 turbo engine sitting on the shed floor it wouldn't be on the shed floor. It would be in my car burning it up!

nuff said.

And if it's going to sit on your shed floor, sell it to me!

smithy010
13-12-2007, 06:14 PM
It really is very simple to do an engine change.

So don't be scared.

gldgti
15-12-2007, 12:38 PM
if you need a head, i know a guy with some spares - incomplete though.

i agree with smithy, swap the whole turbo unit in, if your car is already diesel, its a simple matter

- the only area you'll run into trouble is with your exhaust, linkages for the 5-speed box. thats it - everything else looks after itself.

i can also hook you up with a seller in the US of brand new heads - and cheap too.

Golf Loon
21-12-2007, 03:16 PM
He has a 1.6 TD engine from the UK and box.

I reckon you should just stuff it in and grin all the way.

Or sell it to any of these diesel nuts on here ;)

audineil
22-12-2007, 03:15 PM
I once had a Passat 1.5 N/A diesel.

I replaced the engine with a 1.6 N/A diesel and it transformed the car's performance.

I imagine the 1.6T would be as much better again, so go for it.

Neil