PDA

View Full Version : Steinbauer Chip upgrade

sparky
12-12-2007, 03:27 PM
Has anyone tried the Steinbauer Chip upgrade on a V6 TDI?

TouaregTuff
18-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Ive been looking at this one www.dpchip.com
Looks the goods. Even has new vehicle engine warranty.
about $1200 I think.

HFTDI
25-09-2009, 11:19 PM
Has anyone tried the Steinbauer Chip upgrade on a V6 TDI?

No, but look at this website at RaceChip Chiptuning (Germany): www.racechip.de
It's a plug & Play product, widely used in europe and the UK having a deeper Diesel culture.

The "Pro" version is only 229 euro plus about 50 euro p&h - Under $500.00 AUD. Torque is increased to 595nm.

I believe DP Chip is way overpriced and the performance is not as good as the RaceChip Chiptuning "Pro" version.

Installation is very very simple, they also have a video of the installation on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiHRjwZmAO8&feature=related

They sell worldwide and their preferred method of payment is paypal.

Good luck.

gregozedobe
27-09-2009, 12:59 PM
I believe DP Chip is way overpriced and the performance is not as good as the RaceChip Chiptuning "Pro" version.

Have you tried out both yourself (or know someone who has), or are you basing your opinion on the sellers' figures from their respective websites ? Sometimes marketing claims are just that - claims.

I noticed on their web site that you can put the same box on any TDI just by changing the wiring connections - that makes me slightly skeptical that the programming is specific to each individual engine, and therefore how carefully safety margins are maintained. By that I mean the 1.9 PD 77Kw TDI is quite a different engine and has a different state of tune to a 2.0 CR 125Kw TDI, and I would expect different programming would be needed to optimise tuning for each engine.

I'm guessing that this sort of plug and play piggy-back tuning box only alters fuelling parameters (timing, duration, pressure), and cannot alter boost from stock settings. This doesn't seem the optimum way to retune to me.

All that said, I know lots of people are very happy indeed with the results they have gained from their DP boxes, and this one seems to be a much more reasonable price (even the more expensive "Pro" version") than many other tunes for TDIs. I can also see the attraction of an easy install/deinstall if you want to take your vehicle in for servicing or particularly warranty work.

I guess as is the case for all mods, do your research and buy wisely.

HFTDI
28-09-2009, 11:46 PM
It works a treat and really transforms inline accelleration (even though its surprisingly good in stock form). The DSG box holds in gear and it pulls like a train, accellerating very quickly only, changing down with heavy throttle applications or at low speed.
I recon the torque curve is somewhat wider and overtaking is where it's superior. I overtook going up hill the other day, and its very brisk and very effortless, again holding in gear and just quickly speeding up without a fuss.
They say you may gain a 10% improvement in fuel consumption which I didn't believe until I did a 120 km trip last week on a road I travel from time to time. It's a highway run, mostly travelling at 105 - 115km/h. On this road I usually acheive about 4.8 litres per 100 km which I think is pretty good and about the same as what VW publishes. This trip it was sipping as low as 3.8 litres per 100 km at one stage but ended up at 3.9 litres per 100 km. I was driving normally mostly but this trip did incluide a dogfight with a WRX at one stage up a range (which is where it is at its strongest) and another spot of smooth curvy road. Anyway it seems to work well, probably not as sophisticated as others on the market but its simplicity and cost is attractive, they are very popular in europe. As I understand, the architecture of the boxes are the same but the chip on the board and the wiring harness is what differs with the vehicle and model its being ordered for.

gregozedobe
29-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Good to hear from someone who has personal experience AND is happy with the product :)

Rocketman
30-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Hi all
I brought a module from oversea for $380,from [RaceChip Chiptuning - Technik <technik@racechip.de ] Didn't work even fitted by VW, sent it back after an email exchange with them and they say it never arrived. $380 down the drain Hey,
Any way I move on an forked out $1500 for the DP chip. What a difference in power, I only moved it up to the 6 mark from the 5th which is standard and I'm Stoked. Fuel has got a little better as well, Don't understand that but it went from a steady 8.3 to 8.1 lt 100 in a 2007 Trakka camper long wheel base 4 motion.6speed man. It just made the car more fluid, easier to rev up.