PDA

View Full Version : Out of R36 into Golf R wagon

Sqeaky
29-11-2015, 09:08 AM
Interested to hear if anyone has switched....

2muchcoffeeman
29-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Sold my R36 wagon for a Golf R hatch. Would have bought the wagon if it was available.

Had a look at a Wolfsburg wagon this week. Changeover was more than fair- but the seats- fugly!

For the moment, I'm keeping the hatch and its compromises.

pseudofusion
29-11-2015, 12:23 PM
Switching out from '12 Highline V6 wagon into S3 hatch, delivery next week.
Styling of R interior was a backward step.

VSO827
29-11-2015, 11:20 PM
Sold my R36 wagon for a Golf R hatch. Would have bought the wagon if it was available.

Had a look at a Wolfsburg wagon this week. Changeover was more than fair- but the seats- fugly!

For the moment, I'm keeping the hatch and its compromises.

Congrats on the upgrade. Mind if I ask if you have trade-in your R36 or sold it privately? If latter, how long before someone bought your R36? I am going to sell my R36 soon...

VSO827
29-11-2015, 11:21 PM
Switching out from '12 Highline V6 wagon into S3 hatch, delivery next week.
Styling of R interior was a backward step.

Similar here. Replacing my R36 with a S3 sedan with delivery in January 2016.

Steve
30-11-2015, 11:03 AM
I'm moving from my R36 wagon to a new C63s wagon. The Golf R wagon wasn't really an option - it was a downgrade from the R36 in nearly every way. I considered an RS3 but couldn't justify the dollars, and on a whim I spoke to a dealer regarding the C63... I should have it by early February!

shakespeare
30-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Moved from R36 sedan to R wagon last month and am very happy with the decision. If the Wolfie had - Electric seats with memory, Auto Tailgate it would be perfect but aside from that cannot complain. My wife also commented that the Wolfie is the best to drive out of my last few vehicles (MPS 6, Golf R Mk6, R36 Sedan)

Congrats Steve on the C63s wagon, very nice choice!

Steve
30-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Congrats Steve on the C63s wagon, very nice choice!

Thanks, mate... I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how I justified it! The beauty of being more or less self employed, I guess. Easy come, easy go :)

I'm kinda sorta very excited. It goes into production tomorrow, and should look like this - this one is matte, mine is regular silver but I'm seriously considering Xpel Stealth film over the entire body :) :)

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/c63s1-1.jpg

Darks RS
30-11-2015, 02:18 PM
You'll love! Having had a r36 sedan and now the s3 sedan oh my goodness!

Similar here. Replacing my R36 with a S3 sedan with delivery in January 2016.

VSO827
04-12-2015, 09:01 PM
You'll love! Having had a r36 sedan and now the s3 sedan oh my goodness!

Yes! Expected delivery in January 2016. Can't wait. I went from a R36 sedan to S3 sedan as well.

pseudofusion
10-12-2015, 07:14 PM
I was a little sad to hand over the wagon keys. The S3 is a very different drive to the Passat, but the smile is just as big as when the VW got delivered. Big compromise is space for everyone except the driver, and the S3 in comfort is still *much* firmer than ACC in sport mode. Not really fair to compare the 2 cars on paper. Glad I had the pleasure of the Passat, but also happy to have moved on.

Jakeys
17-12-2015, 01:18 AM
To add some input to the original post, I've had track time in both my R36 and a Mk. 7 Golf R hatch not wagon, and I found the 7 to feel no different on road to my car. It didn't feel quicker although it technically is or feel like it would handle particularly better. Critically, it also wasn't any more fun. Barely even felt lighter. That, coupled with the downgrade in trim and spec, put me off changing entirely. I also drove a Scirocco and compared to the R36/Golf R, that sucked haha. Instantly missed AWD.

I'm sure the Mk. 7 R is a great car and definitely if you went the route of tuning it it could become much quicker than the R36, but stock for stock my experience was that it was not really an upgrade. I assume the wagon wouldn't be any different from my experience with the hatch.

snerlo
17-12-2015, 10:18 AM
Up the 36's!! Hey Jakey! ;-)
I think the Golf R wagon is a good rig, but I agree with Jakey, the lack of making it just that something more special in terms of interior trim finishings just sways me to stay with my 36 for a lot longer. But all in all, if anyone gets one of these new wagons, good on you. You won't be disappointed.

pandas
30-12-2015, 10:33 PM
Saw a Blue Wolfsburg R Wagon across from Rhodes Shopping Centre the other day. Looked good but just didn't appeal to me as much as I thought it would.

From a distance, it essentially looked like a stretched 7 R hatch... Have always personally preferred the look of a MK6 > MK7.

Would love to compare the space in one compared to a R36 Wagon.