PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers vs Cup kits

The_Hawk
12-12-2007, 07:43 AM
My understanding is that a cup kit is simply a lowered spring & shock combo where coilovers are a fully adjustable setup. Is this right?

I read about people with coilovers in Europe or the state talking about winding up the suspension in winter because of snow. Something that isn't exactly an issue in SW Sydney.

So being a spirited driver of a VR6 who will most likely never change the ride hight once installed, whats the recommended upgrade?

Are a good set of lowered springs and shocks the go, or is there better performance in a set of coilovers? (or are you just paying for the ability to adjust them).

My first instinct would be to just get a set of Bilsteins and appropriate springs to lower the beast about 30 - 50mm and be done with it. But I am open to suggestions.

Whats good?
Whats recommended?

99gti
12-12-2007, 07:51 AM
I had mine lowered with springs prior to doing coilovers, and I can definetly tell you the handling is completly different. COILOVERS FTW!!!

DubSteve
12-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Hawk if you like I will take you for a drive on Sunday at the photoshoot I have V2s, so it will give you an idea of what a coilover is like. If you are going to do some track work like you said then better to go for a coilover set.

But make sure you test them out first, thats what I did when I was looking for new suspension for mine ;)

FknDubbin
12-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Coilover. :)

vwthunder
12-12-2007, 09:59 AM
The main reason I went for a coilover is so I could get the car at the right height I am happy with

Couldn't find a set of springs that would do this

I am running 17's at the moment, if I ever go to Big Dish 16's I can play around and get it to sit right, if it rubs just lift it up a little

Golf Houso
12-12-2007, 11:21 AM
Also keep in mind the price, coilovers are over 2k and springs are around 800, probably cheaper if you look around. I suggest you drive a car with a cup kit, and one with coil over's if you havn't already done so as pointed out by mr mk3.

But yeah as mentioned earlier, if you going to go tracking CO's are the way to go, or want the flexibility of adjustable ride height and agressive performance, they're fantastic no doubt about it.

But if your just looking to firm up your ride and and drop the car a bit then yeah a spring kit or around 30-40mm is the preffered choice.

Up to you realy, also consider how long your going to keep the car. :)

The_Hawk
12-12-2007, 11:31 AM
When I say tracks days, I mean *maybe* twice a year, and even then, only for fun.

I understand the flexability of coilovers, but what benifit is there if you never change the ride hight?

Are they any better than a decent set of springs and shocks at a given ride hight?

99gti
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Are they any better than a decent set of springs and shocks at a given ride hight?

From my experience with spring vs coil overs - HELL YES!!! The handling even though my car is the same height is a different ball game all together.

the scotsman
12-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Has anyone tried the koni coilovers?

vwthunder
13-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Konis are too expensive

The KW's are about 700 cheaper

HOLEIN1
13-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Konis are too expensive

The KW's are about 700 cheaper

how much are a set of V2 coilovers for a MK4? who does the best prices?