PDA

View Full Version : turbocharging T4 van

davidf@cvcoupling.com
11-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Hi
I am new to this site so please bear with me. Does anyone have any details or parts to allow me to turbocharge my Transporter T4 - 2,4 liter diesel? Is it more economical to do this or to retrofit the entire engine with say a 2,5 TDI?
thanks
dave:)

rob64981
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
The best place in the world for all things T4 is

http://domain1648967.sites.fasthosts.com/index.php

There is so much info on this site.......

Hope it helps Rob

jets
12-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi
I am new to this site so please bear with me. Does anyone have any details or parts to allow me to turbocharge my Transporter T4 - 2,4 liter diesel? Is it more economical to do this or to retrofit the entire engine with say a 2,5 TDI?
thanks
dave:)

I don't know your ability, but for me it would be too hard, I have enough problems trying to learn about the T4 & maintaining it. To swap over a TDI engine you would need to buy the wiring loom with ECU as well. You would also need the knowledge to get it going if all the stuff didn't work properly. You may be able to find someone smart enough to do the work but it will cost.
If it was my decision I would sell your van & buy a TDI, it would save you a lot of problems & the resale would be better. The first TDIs came to Aust in 2000, 1996 in UK.
I read the various forums & haven't come accross anyone fitting a turbo on to a 2.4.

Seano
12-12-2007, 12:48 PM
G'day Dave....welcome to the mob.

The first question to ask is why do you want to turbo the 2.4? What do you want/need the extra grunt for?

My feeling is that it probably isn't worth the investment...the 2.4 isn't worth much these days and a compliant turbo install could cost almost as much as the van is worth...and an engine swap would be a nice thing to do but in going to a TDi there is the aforementioned ECU issues (although they aren't insurmountable) but also it'd be wise to swap out the gearbox as well.

Check with www.brookvalespares.com.au about a pre 2002 TDI engine and gearbox.....

There are other power improvement options available to you like www.dieselgasaustralia.com.au

Try having a yarn with Canberra VW Centre www.cvwc.com.au or Indian Automotive in Penrith www.kruizinwagon.com.au about your needs