PDA

View Full Version : R36 Exhaust - Arqray, Bikyo, Einsatz...

dannyjak
17-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Hi all

Getting very curious about an exhaust for the R36, narrowed it down to 2 jap brands, either Bikyo or Arqray

Listening to some youtube clips, they both sound very similar.

Now I know some of us have fitted an Arqray before, what are your thoughts on it after having for a while? and where can i look to find one?

Thanks

Toodskie
18-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Hey mate, just wondering what quote's you got for those kits?

I was looking into the Arqray a while ago, and at the time I was quoted $2800...but that is only cat back.

In the end I went to see Nicko at Hi-Tech Mufflers in Darlinghust and had a chat to him.

Got a custom build including 200 cell high-flow cats for $3000 on the nose. Sounds and runs great!!! Nicko was a champ aswell...asnwered and questions I had and checked with me on preferences with everything before doing the work.

The kits gives no real drone that I notice, but everyones ears are different.

One other thing to consider si the rear muffler type if you have a wagon...been told thats a big factor regarding drone...and apparently the Arqray can be rough in a wagon....but this is all 3rd party knowledge, I havent had first hand experience.

I do have the intention to do a full write up soon but I'm still playing around with the ECU tune so I wana see how that goes first.

maximumxposure
18-11-2015, 02:56 PM
Hi Danny,

I've been toying with the idea for a while myself and always come back to Arqray. Had an HKS system on my Liberty wagon and the build quality is just amazing from the Japanese. Nengun have the Arqray cat back for around $2450 depending on exchange rates. There is a 1.5 month wait however as they are custom made to order. I'm sure Mick @ Garage 88 could order it in for you too, he's the guru of Japanese parts.

Cheers
Nath

dannyjak
18-11-2015, 08:17 PM
Arqray through Nengun is closer to $2900 delivered after taking into consideration the shipping cost.

Quotes I have got for Bikyo (circa $2300 delivered, Tanabe based) and Einsatz (circa $2700 delivered, Kakimoto based)

Einsatz sounds a bit weaker and less throatier than the Arqray and Bikyo

At the above prices, would much rather go a Japanese high-end exhaust rather than a local build

dannyjak
18-11-2015, 08:19 PM
Bikyo VW PASSAT(3C)用美響マフラー (http://www.bikyo.jp/lineup/vw002passat3c.html#4m)Einsatz http://www.einsatz-kr.com/02_lineup/vw/s622_w6b3011.html which does come with Titanium tips, but according to the video is not as nice sounding?

Toodskie
19-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Just something else to note though boys...as the parts are over $1000 you will have to pay an import tax of about 15% on it.

Otherwise if you want the Arqray give Wal at Euroexhaust a bell and he'll give you a full quote including tax and shipping, as he's an import dealer for Arqray.

As I said though when it comes down to it, the custom build are almost the same kit as the Jap ones but you can play with them a little more and way cheaper. $2900 for a cat-back vs $3000 for a full exhaust.....

dannyjak
19-11-2015, 03:30 PM
Just something else to note though boys...as the parts are over $1000 you will have to pay an import tax of about 15% on it.

Otherwise if you want the Arqray give Wal at Euroexhaust a bell and he'll give you a full quote including tax and shipping, as he's an import dealer for Arqray.

As I said though when it comes down to it, the custom build are almost the same kit as the Jap ones but you can play with them a little more and way cheaper. $2900 for a cat-back vs $3000 for a full exhaust.....

R36 cat back is actually a lot of exhaust, does the full exhaust mean cats + front piping and headers? probably not headers?

maximumxposure
20-11-2015, 07:09 AM

Hi mate, have you got any sound clips of your set up?

VSO827
04-12-2015, 10:49 PM
I've got the IPe exhaust. I know it is very expensive but I like the sound of it compared to other brands. More importantly, I have full control of the exhaust sound level using the remote to turn the valve on/off. No drone driving on the freeway turning off the valve and tons of DSG farts with the valve on. Here is a youtube clip, though I would just share it with you :).

https://youtu.be/L2z2kELdFkE

damo_t
06-12-2015, 12:33 PM
I've got the IPe exhaust. I know it is very expensive but I like the sound of it compared to other brands. More importantly, I have full control of the exhaust sound level using the remote to turn the valve on/off. No drone driving on the freeway turning off the valve and tons of DSG farts with the valve on. Here is a youtube clip, though I would just share it with you :).

Great vid. Thanks for sharing. I want that on the wagon. Drool.

Saw on the other threads that you're parting with her soon?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

xR360
15-12-2015, 09:52 PM

Hi mate, crikey that sounds awesome! Did you buy this locally or have it imported, mind I ask what you paid for the setup?
Also I see you've got some silver polished side mirrors, they look like a nice touch, where can we get these? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakeys
24-12-2015, 12:12 AM
Hi mate, crikey that sounds awesome! Did you buy this locally or have it imported, mind I ask what you paid for the setup?
Also I see you've got some silver polished side mirrors, they look like a nice touch, where can we get these? Cheers

I can answer those questions since VSO827 doesn't post here frequently, I know quite a lot about the R36 exhaust options, and I actually own that exhaust in the vid as I bought it from him this week. :P

iPE do have Australian suppliers, currently it is VW Central in VIC and BMW Autowerkes or Queen Street Customs in NSW. There is also apparently CJ Motor in QLD but I don't know anything about them. The catch is, iPE usually cater to the exotic market eg. Ferrari, McLaren, Lamborghini etc. and they have the typical exotic markup. When they decide to make systems for lower brands like VW, they don't lower the markup to suit so the pricing is obscene. So the R36 system will set you back a cool $5500+ for midpipe back which is two valved mufflers with remote control and auto mode wired to engine RPM/throttle position sensor, and a bunch of stainless steel pipe. It's about $7000 for the full system which includes a cat bypass piece and replaces the front resonators with a single resonator. Even just swapping the tips on the system costs $700.

There is only one R36 iPE exhaust in Australia that I know of. It originally belonged to an iPE Australia demo car, but they never had any customers because of the price so that guy then sold it to VSO827, who has now sold it to me. I had always wanted one as it is easily the best R36 system ever made but the retail price is a total ****ing joke. If you can live without the valvetronic tech to run what is effectively a straight through exhaust on demand, the Arqray will be almost as good as the iPE in closed mode for $3000 or less.

The mirrors pop up on eBay from time to time, they are a matte aluminium look finish, basically identical to the modern Audis and VWR's, it's not actually aluminium just a special type of paint to resemble alu, kinda like the R36 grille. They're about $300-350 AUD posted from memory.

snerlo
24-12-2015, 08:36 AM
I still hate you for getting that exhaust!! ;b
If I wasn't married and had my money tied up in children, it would be mine!! Look forward to hearing it on the shagon wagon. Try and get a vid of the sound of the motor without any exhaust on. Interested to hear it in all its glory without mufflers. I bet you are itching to get it on there too.

Jakeys
24-12-2015, 09:24 PM
I still hate you for getting that exhaust!! ;b
If I wasn't married and had my money tied up in children, it would be mine!! Look forward to hearing it on the shagon wagon. Try and get a vid of the sound of the motor without any exhaust on. Interested to hear it in all its glory without mufflers. I bet you are itching to get it on there too.

I won't be doing the install so a straight pipe vid is not doable. However with valves open the mufflers are bypassed so it is effectively a straight pipe from the cats and the dual resonators back as the iPE has no centre res at all. It would sound almost exactly the same with the valves open as with nothing past the cats section. Stole one of VSO's pics, you can see where the rusty looking stock ends and where the iPE begins. Nothing but straight pipe most of the way.

I'm not gonna bother doing any before videos as everyone who would be interested already knows what the R36 sounds like. Most likely I will just do a rev, side street drive and 0-100 run in/outside of the car with valves open and valves closed. Might try to borrow a Go Pro for it as all I have is an iPhone.

EDIT: The cat bypass pipe is available for $1350. I have considered it but I suspect being a wagon it will drone pretty badly with it. The original iPE Australia owner who bought it did this and ended up taking it off and warned me it would sound too loud rather than try to make an extra sale so I suspect it's not a good choice.

https://scontent.fadl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t31.0-8/12370910_10153182564097407_724247151556777096_o.jp g

damo_t
24-12-2015, 09:40 PM
You're a lucky man Jakey! Curious though, are there any drone concerns due to the fact there is no centre resonator for the wagon?

Jakeys
25-12-2015, 12:05 AM
You're a lucky man Jakey! Curious though, are there any drone concerns due to the fact there is no centre resonator for the wagon?

I'll let you know!

xR360
25-12-2015, 10:05 PM
Cheers Jakeys for your thorough detail on all things exhausty... Damn envious of your pipe purchase you lucky bugger. Oh your Melbourne right? We'll have to get a 36 meet/drive happening sometime soon!

Jakeys
25-12-2015, 11:11 PM
Neg, I'm Adelaide. No R36's but me here, not in the scene anyway.

snerlo
26-12-2015, 01:09 PM
i didnt realise that the ipe started so far back. I cannot believe they want to charge that amount for such a small section of pipe. Outrageous! Anyway, lucky man. Look forward to hesring your thoughts too. Good onya mate.

Jakeys
26-12-2015, 01:37 PM
i didnt realise that the ipe started so far back. I cannot believe they want to charge that amount for such a small section of pipe. Outrageous! Anyway, lucky man. Look forward to hesring your thoughts too. Good onya mate.

It starts at the same point as every other R36 exhaust except the Supersprint optioned with headers, which costs even more and doesn't fit RHD cars, it's LHD only. Every R36 exhaust except Supersprint headerback and iPE downpipe back ($1350 option as mentioned but bad idea for a wagon) starts at that point as that's a join point on the stock system.

I spoke to iPE directly today (Not the Aus suppliers as most of them were either useless/poor English or ignored me albeit they may have started Christmas holidays early) who actually had pretty good customer service. They want $620 AUD delivered for chrome finished tips, or $690 AUD delivered for burnt blue finished tips, which are still steel, not titanium. So, the exotic markup applies everywhere, even tips. Think about that. Four tips costs the same as the full bypass pipe with a resonator and two high flow passthrough catalytic converters. There is no way the actual cost for the tips is anywhere near the bypass pipe so it demonstrates their random extreme markup.

damo_t
21-01-2016, 07:14 AM
Hi Jakey,

Was wondering if you had fitted the exhaust yet? Apologies, but am itching for an update. :)

Jakeys
23-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Hi Jakey,

Was wondering if you had fitted the exhaust yet? Apologies, but am itching for an update. :)

Yep. Sounds exactly like the other videos when I try to record it but significantly better in real life. I haven't been able to do the wiring yet, only the physical install, so for now the valves are permanently open. It is a bit droney when under load at 2-3k rpm but easily fixed by switching gears. I am getting constant looks, it sounds like a Lambo if you hit it and shift right, and a V8 on idle. Am amazed by how good it is.

Steve
23-01-2016, 10:44 PM
Where do you drive? I haven't heard a great sounding R36 in Adelaide but I know there's so much potential in there. I wish I didn't have to sell mine. Seven years is the longest relationship I've ever had :)

Jakeys
24-01-2016, 11:13 AM
Where do you drive? I haven't heard a great sounding R36 in Adelaide but I know there's so much potential in there. I wish I didn't have to sell mine. Seven years is the longest relationship I've ever had :)

Well you just need to be within 1km of me and you'll hear it, hehe. I'm out north now as of this month. I very rarely travel south of town.

damo_t
24-01-2016, 02:48 PM
Yep. Sounds exactly like the other videos when I try to record it but significantly better in real life. I haven't been able to do the wiring yet, only the physical install, so for now the valves are permanently open. It is a bit droney when under load at 2-3k rpm but easily fixed by switching gears. I am getting constant looks, it sounds like a Lambo if you hit it and shift right, and a V8 on idle. Am amazed by how good it is.

Appreciate the update Jakey! I can only imagine the grin on your face when you take her out!

levendi001
24-01-2016, 10:39 PM
Sounds good jakey, keen to hear in the drive day

Jakeys
25-01-2016, 10:06 AM
Something else I noticed today, you know how on a cold start the car initially idles higher and sounds boomier until it starts to warm up then drops to normal? I know there's a term for that function but I don't remember it.

Anyway, I drove to work this cold morning for the first time after a week on leave to move house and discovered that while it's in that "mode" the exhaust sounds incredible. So many snaps, crackles and pops on liftoff and down revs at low speed. It takes on the sound of an R32, only deeper.

Steve
25-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Well you just need to be within 1km of me and you'll hear it, hehe. I'm out north now as of this month. I very rarely travel south of town.

Ah. I'm mostly east and in the city. I'll keep an ear out. I've always been under whelmed by the sound of the R36 but haven't bothered to do anything about it, and in two weeks it won't be an issue anyway :(

Jakeys
26-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Ah. I'm mostly east and in the city. I'll keep an ear out. I've always been under whelmed by the sound of the R36 but haven't bothered to do anything about it, and in two weeks it won't be an issue anyway :(

The iPE promo vid is below. Mine sounds the same on idle, and more or less the same at acceleration etc except the video is just all around quieter, the car is much louder in real life. Harsher highs and deeper lows, the microphone just seems to even it out and make it seem a little quieter across the board. The description says this includes headers and the cat bypass section however there are no iPE headers and I don't think this video actually does have the cat bypass section as mine doesn't have it and mine is louder. You can also tell from the tips that this was a prototype not a customer system, their actual customer sold tips look like the below but come in burnt blue, polished steel or black coated steel. Or apparently carbon fibre which looks **** and costs insane money. Mine came with the black coated but I'm ordering burnt blue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9S7w3QxeoE

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2016/01/0220Titanium20Blue20Tips-1.jpg

Domatron
27-01-2016, 09:15 PM
Those tips look amazing! Do you know if they will fit / could be made to fit on the standard exhaust?

Jakeys
28-01-2016, 09:00 AM
Those tips look amazing! Do you know if they will fit / could be made to fit on the standard exhaust?

Standard exhaust diameter is too small but if you were willing to have someone do some cutting and welding you could probably size up to meet them? Have to ask an exhaust shop.

Discovered this morning when the car is cold I get proper crackling and popping on overrun. But only for literally like a minute until the engine starts to get warm then it stops doing it. I wish it did that all the time, it sounds exotic as hell. I'm in love.

damo_t
28-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Standard exhaust diameter is too small but if you were willing to have someone do some cutting and welding you could probably size up to meet them? Have to ask an exhaust shop.

Discovered this morning when the car is cold I get proper crackling and popping on overrun. But only for literally like a minute until the engine starts to get warm then it stops doing it. I wish it did that all the time, it sounds exotic as hell. I'm in love.

Sports mode give any similar effect?

Jakeys
28-01-2016, 11:39 AM
Sports mode give any similar effect?

All Sports mode does is change the shift point behaviour so no it can't have any impact on the exhaust. With this exhaust I am almost exclusively driving it in manual mode with the paddles now though as I find if I let it rev out to around 4000rpm it sounds incredible since that's where the DSG brap noise seems to be the punchiest and where the engine starts to come alive.

I have noticed I am getting constant attention from other enthusiast cars now. It's the neck snapper it deserves to be.

However, as much as I love having the proper OG exhaust, I think you could pretty easily just get a custom shop to make you the same thing. The quality and finish won't be as nice and you won't get auto mode but the end result is close to the same and could save you $2-3k easy versus new.

snerlo
29-01-2016, 09:51 AM
"Crackling and popping on overrun!"
I hope you're not revving that engine when it is cold mister!!! :facepalm: Naughty naughty! :P

Jakeys
29-01-2016, 12:33 PM
"Crackling and popping on overrun!"
I hope you're not revving that engine when it is cold mister!!! :facepalm: Naughty naughty! :P

Overrun means when you let off the throttle and the car is pushing forward on the engine (Not sure of a better way to phrase that) rather than the engine pushing. It's actually the total opposite my man! I would never rev hard on cold.

EDIT: Example below, except mine sounds a lot better. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tdioyQe1hE

snerlo
01-02-2016, 08:54 AM
Good to hear

tigger73
26-04-2016, 10:13 PM
Nice to hear some crackles and pops tonight Jakeys :)