PDA

View Full Version : Difference between CAI and SRI

Rads
11-12-2007, 03:54 PM
howdy all

My name is Rads and I am new to this so please be gentle and excuse my lack of knowledge.

I currently have a stock 2005 VW Golf and wanted to do make minor modifications to it. I've got a bout $400 to spend so nothing major. I want to play around with the air filter/air box and I have read so much conflicting stuff on the net its actually frustrating.

What I would like to know is;

1) For my stock VW Golf would a CAI or SRI be best?
or
2) The pipes/tubes from a SRI kit modified to fit the stock airbox with a replacement drop in filter?

In terms of running rich or lean, does a CAI or SRI play a part in that?

Sorry if I am pushing my luck with my questions but i would really appreciate the advice.

Thanks in advance
Rads

balkanac
11-12-2007, 04:14 PM
welcome to the forums mate! this is the right place for asking these kind of questions and just generally wasting time at work :)
I had a POD filter on my car and it caused the MAF to die. I have a CAI now, and i can't believe how much difference it made. I had a Liberty B4 before this and that had a CAI as well, and ran so much nicer. I'd spend that money on a good CAI.

Rads
11-12-2007, 05:57 PM
welcome to the forums mate! this is the right place for asking these kind of questions and just generally wasting time at work :)
I had a POD filter on my car and it caused the MAF to die. I have a CAI now, and i can't believe how much difference it made. I had a Liberty B4 before this and that had a CAI as well, and ran so much nicer. I'd spend that money on a good CAI.

So you rekon a CAI ha? What CAI brand would you recommend i go for? Also, a CAI makes no difference if the car is not a turbo right?

I was interested by the BMC-CDA filters because of the carbon fibre surrounding the filter. It makes sense to have set up like this dont you think?

ScienceVR6
11-12-2007, 07:19 PM
I have a BMC CDA, and it works very well. But it's very noisy. The extra response to the throttle is great. The extra top end is a good help too!

Bloody expencive though.

I'm not entirerly sure what an SRI is except a model of Holden Astra and Berina.

Are there any off the shelf CAI kits for MK5?

The only KIts i ever see are the SS inductions kits for holden and ford. Even K&N have a CAI kit for holden and ford!

Rads
11-12-2007, 07:47 PM
I have a BMC CDA, and it works very well. But it's very noisy. The extra response to the throttle is great. The extra top end is a good help too!

They are damm expensive! Was it hard to instal in your car because if i end up buying a BMC-CDA, my car aint listed from the ebay seller so what i was thinking was to just buy one for another VW model and just work with that?

I'm not entirerly sure what an SRI is except a model of Holden Astra and Berina.

A SRI is a Short Ram Intake.

Rads
12-12-2007, 03:35 PM
its me again...............could somebody please tell me if too much cold air is bad for the engine and would it have a negative effect on fuel consumption?

Also, if i were to get a CAI and somehow managed to place the part with the filter on it in an airbox (completely covered), would that defeat the purpose of having a CAI in the first place?

thanks in advance

ScienceVR6
12-12-2007, 03:58 PM
They are damm expensive! Was it hard to instal in your car because if i end up buying a BMC-CDA, my car aint listed from the ebay seller so what i was thinking was to just buy one for another VW model and just work with that?

A SRI is a Short Ram Intake.

its me again...............could somebody please tell me if too much cold air is bad for the engine and would it have a negative effect on fuel consumption?

Also, if i were to get a CAI and somehow managed to place the part with the filter on it in an airbox (completely covered), would that defeat the purpose of having a CAI in the first place?

thanks in advance
Don't worry what the e-bay seller says. Just get a mid sized one, and a heap of flexy tubing. Its gunna be a custom job. I'm using the standard plumbing from the trottle to the MAF. The maf in turn, is attached directly to the CDA. Air enters the CDA via the maf pipe from a LS1 V8.
The one i bought was originally bought for a V6 commodroe, then it was sold to a bloke who wanted to fit it to his 5.7 commodore, but i wouln't fit in the engine bay, so i bought it.

There is no such thing as too cold! Cold air is dense. Denser air means you can fit more in! NOS is a cooling and oxidizing agent. It cools the intake while oxidizing it to double or tripple the amount of cold air getting to the motor. I have seen Turbo and supercharged cars running water to air intercoolers, with dry ice in them. Intakes temps as low as -50c. Thats so cold that the air intakes sytem after the cooler was completly frozen with a thick layer of frost.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2007/12/car4-1.jpg

sukebe
16-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Another option is to modify the standard airbox and feed cold air to it (do a search to find threads detailing the DIY). Then put a drop-in K&N filter and you will have as good an increase as a CDA, just with a stock look and for much less money. I have a spare K&N filter lying around somewhere if you are interested ;)

Preen59
16-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Also, a CAI makes no difference if the car is not a turbo right?

Nah, big gains from Atmo too dude. Colder air means colder charge, colder charge means denser charge, denser charge means more bang, more bang means more grunt.

More grunt means more :D:D

Rads
19-12-2007, 12:33 PM
thanks for your comments people.

I have read on forums and internet articles that by having a CAI or SRI will actually be worse in terms of fuel effeiciency.

Something about more air being detected therefore compensating that with more fuel.

Any truth to this or is it a load of crap?

Thanks in advance

Soundofav6
19-12-2007, 12:51 PM
I have hear tales of something very stupid ....true/ not it's funny.
re direct A/C pipe to their intake !!!!

NOTE: do not direct complains to me. :)

Golf Houso
19-12-2007, 09:08 PM
lol doesn't any benefit from that become removed since your taking out HP to run the air con... wow thats realy stupid, thanks for that j:

Rads
23-12-2007, 09:22 PM
thanks for your comments people.

I have read on forums and internet articles that by having a CAI or SRI will actually be worse in terms of fuel effeiciency.

Something about more air being detected therefore compensating that with more fuel.

Any truth to this or is it a load of crap?

Thanks in advance

Sorry to bust peoples chops but i was wondering if anybody could shed any light on the above? Its really got me thinking :?

Merry Xmas to all reading.
Rads

Valver.
12-01-2008, 09:00 AM
An SRI is a short runner intake manifold. On a crossflow 2.0 8v, that would mean replacing the 16v-style long-runner manifold (curving over the rocker cover) with a 20vT style intake, which sits right in front of the intake ports, shortening the air flow path, so there is less time for the air to warm up and less bends and distance in the intake path.

It is only worth doing in a turbo car to help remove the lag, or a highly developed NA motor, in which case you probably wouldn't run single-throttle body induction anyway :)

Valver.
12-01-2008, 09:01 AM
P.S. All that poor fuel economy stuff is rubbish ;)

Preen59
12-01-2008, 02:59 PM
P.S. All that poor fuel economy stuff is rubbish ;)

Yeah, it's true that the engine management should detect denser air, but because the air is denser, therefore you need a shallower throttle opening to maintain the same speed, so they cancel each other out.. :)