PDA

View Full Version : 1.8TFSI Wagon test drive

DanSA
11-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Well, finally picked her up this morning after a month wait. A blue wagon , standard trim etc.

After a few attempts i found reverse...:rolleyes: with everything else falling to hand nicely - feeling very similar to our Golf V (a good thing)

Initial thoughts are - great engine, tight gearbox (248k on clock tho) too light/springy clutch.
The induction noise is very nice :), and the engine is nice an quiet, compaired to the TDi im used to.
Initial quality seems to be up there with the veeDub, a few shortcomings, but nothing major.

Will be taking her home up the freeway and a few twistys , so will report more tommorow... stay tooned.

There was also a RS wagon just in, I might have to try that too - for comparison sake you understand..:cool:

Thinking at this stage is a 1.8T wagon, with elec seats, sunroof and sport suspension/17"s.
Aiming for 39,600 on road with 12m rego. What do you think my chances are?? :???:

CanberravRS
11-12-2007, 11:55 AM
At the moment Skoda are attempting to break into a tight market, without loosing to many $$$ so i guess it depends on the dealers on road costs and markup.
I guess the other thing is are you buying outright or are you leasing? Trading?

I traded my 2003 Jeep Cherokee and as my dealer hadnt sold an RS wagon yet they gave me my lease payout figure on the Jeep which matched the redbook value on the high end for trade in. I was expecting a very low amount to be offered like had been offered by Subaru and Audi, to my suprise i got 17k where others offered 12 max.
I guess its going to come down to how well you can haggle.. its within the dealers intrest to get more on the road so they are seen. A car on the road sells more than one sitting on a lot.
Good luck... :D

Plicata
11-12-2007, 12:22 PM
By my reckoning, that spec adds up to just under $42,000 on the road (in NSW). $2,400 discount should be possible based on what others have said. I'd have thought most brands would offer that sort of leeway, let alone one trying to get itself established in the market? Good to hear they got some new stock. Might try Sydney again soon.

DanSA
11-12-2007, 01:27 PM
By my reckoning, that spec adds up to just under $42,000 on the road (in NSW). $2,400 discount should be possible based on what others have said. I'd have thought most brands would offer that sort of leeway, let alone one trying to get itself established in the market? Good to hear they got some new stock. Might try Sydney again soon.

Yeah, i basically took the list price, plus options, then took off 5%, then added stamp duty, delaer deliv and rego (12m). I don't think its unrealistic and we got a similar discount on our Golf and this has more options on it (and hence profit margin)

Good point re establishing in market, will remember that one when the time comes.. ;)

I doubt i will be trading the Golf, more like selling privately to get top dollar. Still tossing up between nov lease and personal loan..:confused: nov lease is better finacially, but limits me to 37k car price, whereas loan i can get all the fruit, but it will cost more long term..
aaaaahhhhhhh!!! :mad:

Plicata
11-12-2007, 05:03 PM
I'm going personal loan. Credit Union just has $90 establishment fee and no other costs apart from interest (8.89% > $30K or 9.89% < $30K). I don't like all the restrictions on leases and I hope to pay it off ASAP. Accountant says there's no advantage me doing a company lease because of low mileage.
Just need to decide on a car! Keep bouncing between Octavia / Golf GT TDi / Passat / Sube Forester / Sube Liberty GT. I'll have to bite the bullet some time. Maybe if I get to drive the Octavia spec I want....

DanSA
12-12-2007, 09:19 AM
Same cars as we looked at mate, but you wont find any that have all the clever features at the same price as the Skoda..

Think we are going loan too, similar reason - too many constaints etc with lease.