PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav Not Remembering Recent Destinations

Jakeys
27-10-2015, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

Title pretty much covers it. I've got the RNS 510 in my car, it doesn't store last destinations any more. If I put in say 123 Fake Street, it loads up, I get to the destination, and then next time I use the nav instead of displaying 123 Fake St it just goes back to an address I visited months ago. The new address is not listed in recent destinations.

I thought maybe the memory was full so I cleared some older destinations but it still doesn't remember new recent destinations any more. Thoughts? Latest firmware as far as I know, I updated it a while ago.

EDIT: Actually I wonder if updating the firmware is related.

Hillbilly
27-10-2015, 12:01 PM
Mine has the latest firmware and doesnt do that I usually put destinations in and save them to memory before I leave. They are always there later.

Jakeys
27-10-2015, 12:21 PM
Mine has the latest firmware and doesnt do that I usually put destinations in and save them to memory before I leave. They are always there later.

I can save destinations to memory, I'm talking about the automatic remembering of recent destinations not working.

Hillbilly
27-10-2015, 04:27 PM
I can save destinations to memory, I'm talking about the automatic remembering of recent destinations not working.

Yeah had a look and mine does that OK Had about 7 in last destinations which i cleared so will see tomorrow when I go up the coast for the day

5238 is the latest

Jakeys
30-10-2015, 12:48 PM
Yep so there is definitely a problem. I noticed today probably related to why I can't save new destinations is I also can't delete old ones. If I clear my last destinations, the list is empty until I leave the car and come back the next day. Everything I deleted is back. It also keeps defaulting back to like a huge distant viewing distance and I have to keep zooming in every time.

I have tried a factory reset of the navigation in the setup menu and that cleared everything but we will see if it remembers next time. It's as if the sat nav is in read only mode. I think the latest firmware version may be the culprit, it may need a reflash.

slipshot
30-10-2015, 01:02 PM
Can you let us know what version of the firmware you are running?

Hillbilly
30-10-2015, 02:44 PM
Ok as I said I would I cleared the memory in mine and put in a destination and saved it. Did the trip.

To come home I just put in the closest suburb to home. It took me a different way to what I wanted so stopped and put in another closer suburb. Got out onto the highway and then turned it off.
Went out today and the 3 destinations are all in the "Last destinations" menu. So mine is working OK

My unit is an upgraded C on firmware 5238

Jakeys
30-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Can you let us know what version of the firmware you are running?

The installed firmware is 5238. This is an MY10.5 R36. I think the revision of unit is a C, but that's memory, I could be wrong. It was listed as compatible though.

So deleting the navigation section didn't work. Everything came back. I did a factory reset (Setup > Factory Reset > All) and as per before the navigation appeared to have been totally cleared, I had no saved destinations, no last destinations and no home address. Totally empty. I then did a soft reset (Back and forward track buttons plus voice command buttons for ten seconds) and when it finished rebooting, all the navigation stuff was back. However, all my radio stations and other settings are all gone so the problem seems isolated to the navigation.

It seems like I may need to revert to an older firmware. Although my RNS 510 ID was listed as compatible with this firmware, I suspect I need the previous revision. Or at the very least I need to reflash it as there is nothing left I can do to fix this from the unit itself.

kamold
30-10-2015, 05:49 PM
If you want to actually delete the memory for locations etc you need a 'factory' firmware update.
Most upgrades on the net are built to preserve these settings as well as radio presets etc, as well as coding.

There is a list of some factory firmware images here (http://gpsunderground.com/forum/volkswagen-seat-skoda/20308-all-available-firmware-rns510.html)

If you need to load an older version, you first need to enable firmware downgrade in system menu.

If it isn't urgent I can try and look into building a firmware load that only erases that flash module, but I'll need a little time.