PDA

View Full Version : Passat Clock Spring

ozrcboy
19-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Hi all,

Looks like the clock spring has gone in my 2011 (MY12) Passat TDI as airbag warning, horn and stereo/trip computer buttons on steering wheel all failed simultaneously.

Called VW spares. A new clock spring is $717 - WTF?

Does anyone know why they are so expensive? Can anyone suggest an alternative, or somewhere where the parts can be bought for only the cost of your firstborn rather than all of your children?

Thanks.

Umai Naa!!
19-10-2015, 10:28 PM
I'd push for a goodwill repair under warranty.

cru22z
19-10-2015, 10:39 PM
Mine failed after 2 years was covered under warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozrcboy
20-10-2015, 04:17 AM
I have 160K on the clock. I don't think they will be interested in goodwill but thanks for the suggestion.

brad
20-10-2015, 07:21 AM
Diagram says you need to read the partno with VAG test - maybe VCDS can do it too.
VOLKSWAGEN PASSAT/4MOTION/SANTANA [PA] (EUROPE) 2011 [3C-B-200 001 >>]: ELECTRICS: 95350. STEERING COL. COMBI SWITCH; IGNITION/STARTER SWITCH; MULTIFUNCTION BUTTONS FOR; STEERING WHEEL (http://www.partsbase.org/vw/passat-4motion-santana-pa-eu-2011-3c-b-200-001-95350-steering-col-combi-switch-ignition-starter-switch-multifunction-buttons-for-steering-wheel/)

You can buy off ebay from $200 (possible China knock-off) or $400 ex-USA

ozrcboy
20-10-2015, 08:48 PM
Thanks Brad - Great info.

ozrcboy
25-10-2015, 12:11 PM
Letter to VW: Hello Volkswagen Australia, I own two Volkswagens, both bought new. A 2008 GTI TDI Golf and a 2011 (MY12) Passat TDI. Recently my Passat developed a fault where the steering wheel controls, horn and airbag system all failed simultaneously. My mechanic investigated and identified the problem as a faulty clock spring. When he quoted me almost $800 for the part (a clock spring) I was shocked and surprised. I note that in the US there is currently a voluntary recall on Passats of a similar vintage to mine due to a faulty clock spring causing an airbag issue. I also note that the clock spring part in my car has been superseded by VW - a likely indicator that the original contained design defects. Finally - I note that in the US the part is almost half the price anyway. This fault has come in the same year where I had to have a water pump replaced in the Passat costing almost a thousand dollars - a job which my current mechanic advises should have been done when the timing belt was changed as most of the cost is same labour performed on that job - that timing belt change service was at my local VW dealer. Finally, without wishing to dwell on it, I wanted to draw your attention to the fact that VW Australia's very public customer service failures over the last couple of years has probably cost my family at least $6,000 in terms of damage to the second hand value of my vehicles. Would you please provide a replacement clock spring for my vehicle. It is clear the original part was defective, not fit for purpose, and that in other parts of the world VW is acting properly to replace it free of charge. It would be nice to tell my friends and family about how VW Australia stepped up and addressed this issue for me rather than another story about a recall VW Australia knows it should do, but wont. Given the airbag in my vehicle is disabled I would appreciate your prompt response. Would you please let me know by close of business on the 30th of October.

25-10-2015, 10:22 PM
I have read about this recall in the few time. They are already addressing it in the US. It's definitely going to affect few of us in Aus at some-stage, so it will be interesting to see what they reply to you. 160km does not sound much for this part to need replacement. I reckon it is definitely defective. Please let us know when you get a reply. And good luck!

brad
26-10-2015, 08:16 AM
Good letter (assuming all the formatting was destroyed in the copy/paste) but good luck getting a reply by the 30th.

ozrcboy
22-02-2016, 06:29 AM
Finally got around to putting the car in at VW for assessment. They have offered to:

1. Sell me the part at warranty prices.
2. Pay for a third of the part.

All up bill would be $450.

What do people think?

Umai Naa!!
22-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Take the offer.

There's usually no scope for negotiation.

drjekl
23-02-2016, 07:19 AM
There's a few passat's being wrecked on ebay?

LukePolo
23-02-2016, 12:55 PM
Finally got around to putting the car in at VW for assessment. They have offered to:

What do people think?

Better than $717 I say...

OilBurna
23-02-2016, 04:31 PM
I had my 2007 Tdi done at volkwerke in Greensborough for $400 ish this is a known issue with Passats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozrcboy
12-03-2016, 12:03 AM
I've been looking at stuff like this: OE Indicator Wiper Stalk Combination Switch FOR VW Passat EU B6 7 CC NEW | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OE-Indicator-Wiper-Stalk-Combination-Switch-For-VW-Passat-EU-B6-7-CC-New-/251917609098?hash=item3aa775a88a:g:9ggAAOSwqu9VK3E 9) But kind of the last thing you want to hear is the bit in the description where they wont refund if it's the wrong fit. Wreckers - yeah maybe.

eytng
22-10-2016, 10:31 AM

What do people think?

Hi ozrcboy,

My 2012 Tiguan has just got the same problem, and to my frustration I bought the extended warranty (3 years on top of the factory warranty), and I was told at the dealer the "steering wheel and airbag is not covered"!!

The service guy told me it's likely to be the clock spring and it will cost me $1090 to have it fixed!!

Now knowing there was a recall for the clock spring in the US back in Oct 2015, and there are cases like yours, may I ask who did you write to and what was the process for you to get it sorted please?

CaseySP
22-11-2016, 08:55 PM
Just had ours fail at 65,000km on a 2012 Passat along a trip to Sydney and back. To add to the fun we went through a heavy downpour on the Hume between Marulan and Goulburn, and a P plater lost control of his car about 100m in front of us - bouncing off the centre guard wires and back into the right-hand lane causing both lanes to take avoiding action. Not a great time to be without a working airbag.

Mentioned at the dealer the US and Canada recalls but was met with "computer says no recall for your vehicle". It is currently with them to have a new clock spring ordered and fitted on their advice that the car is not safe to drive as it now lacks a working airbag and horn.

I also think this is pretty poor form for an item that should be serviceable for the life of the car, and I also suggest anyone else who has a similar fault lodge an on-line "Vehicle Safety or Non-Compliance Report" with the he Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development here https://infrastructure.gov.au/vehicles/reporting/index.aspx.

Make sure you mention the Canadian and USA voluntary recalls as "Volkswagen considers the safety and satisfaction of its consumers and passengers a top priority".

Volkswagen recalls 41,300 vehicles in Canada for airbag fault - Business - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/volkswagen-recalls-41-300-vehicles-in-canada-for-airbag-fault-1.3191345)

Umai Naa!!
22-11-2016, 09:31 PM
Clock spring is a common failure on many cars.

Just as bulbs, relays and switches are. Where does one draw the line?

CaseySP
24-11-2016, 09:23 PM
I guess VW don't agree with you since they have recalled over 450,000 vehicles in North America due to this airbag safety issue.

If the clock spring failure was just an inconvenience and the MFD controls, stereo buttons and flappy paddles were the only things that were affected you would have a fair point. However something that can also affect the operation of a key safety item like the airbag should be more robust - the worldwide Takata airbag recall (over 50 million vehicles at last count) shows that these things are usually taken more seriously.

Umai Naa!!
24-11-2016, 09:33 PM
VW of America has different policies on warranties and recalls.

A lot of it is very generous.

But you get that in a litigious country.

kamold
24-11-2016, 09:51 PM
In the b7 the clockspring, multifunction steering wheel control module and the stalks are all an integrated unit.
In the b6 they were all separate. Clockspring can be had for about $20 as it's just a plastic housing with a ribbon cable and connectors.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

iampivot
17-03-2018, 04:07 PM
Just had my clock spring give up in my MY13 Passat B7. Are you certain that it's not possible to get an aftermarket part that replaces just the clockspring? I was going to trade the car in the next 6 months, and am trying to avoid any expensive repairs..

Bora Sport
20-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Skodas are not immune from this either. The clock spring on my 2011 Skoda Octavia Scout failed within a month of me buying it. I got the part number from Skoda and found a site in Russia on EBay. I got the whole clock spring including both column stalks as a combined unit for about $200-225.00 from memory including postage. That was January 2017. My mate and I fitted it ourselves.

iampivot
20-03-2018, 11:44 AM
Was there a lot of coding required? Isn't there an angle sensor used for the reversing camera in that part as well?

kamold
20-03-2018, 12:00 PM
You just need to copy over the coding from your existing steering wheel control module.
Steering angle sensor basic settings normally will clear by itself after driving for a few minutes.
Worst case scenario you need to run the procedure with VCDS/OBD11 which is very simple.

Bora Sport
21-03-2018, 01:42 PM
My car is a Scout and doesn't have a reverse camera. It does have this funky feature that the relevant fog light comes on when you turn a corner. So there is obviously a steering angle sensor. There was no coding required that I recall. I disconnected the battery to remove the airbag. Then once the part was replaced and the battery reconnected there were the usual fault lights that occur when you disconnect the battery and they as usual disappeared in the first 150 metres of driving the car.

iampivot
26-04-2018, 02:35 AM
In the b7 the clockspring, multifunction steering wheel control module and the stalks are all an integrated unit.
In the b6 they were all separate. Clockspring can be had for about $20 as it's just a plastic housing with a ribbon cable and connectors.

Are you certain that the clockspring is fully integrated with the stalks for all B7? Looking here it seems that the petrol models can replace just the clockspring;

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 5K0953569AL - Clock Spring - with steering control unit (5K0 953 569 AL) (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/clock-spring-with-steering-control-unit/5k0953569al/)

Vagcom says the part in my car is the 5K0 953 569 T though, not AL.

Here's the combined part on ebay; MF Cruise Control Stalk Wiper Switch & Module For VW Passat B6 B7 EU CC | eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/MF-Cruise-Control-Stalk-Wiper-Switch-Module-For-VW-Passat-B6-B7-EU-CC-/222001152015)

Looking at the picture it looks like it should be easy to replace just the clock spring as they are put together with some screws.

Stalk without the clockspring; Lever central (3C9 953 501 BM) - VW Passat -2013 (https://www.varaosahaku.fi/fi-en/Search/Car-parts/VW/VW-PASSAT/2011_2014/Steering-wheel-&-Axle-&-Lever-&-Pedal/Lever-central/All/ID-31426547/OEM-3C9-953-501-BM/)

kamold
26-04-2018, 07:18 AM
Are you certain that the clockspring is fully integrated with the stalks for all B7? Looking here it seems that the petrol models can replace just the clockspring;

Genuine Volkswagen Audi - 5K0953569AL - Clock Spring - with steering control unit (5K0 953 569 AL) (https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/clock-spring-with-steering-control-unit/5k0953569al/)

Vagcom says the part in my car is the 5K0 953 569 T though, not AL.

Here's the combined part on ebay; MF Cruise Control Stalk Wiper Switch & Module For VW Passat B6 B7 EU CC | eBay (https://www.ebay.com/itm/MF-Cruise-Control-Stalk-Wiper-Switch-Module-For-VW-Passat-B6-B7-EU-CC-/222001152015)

Looking at the picture it looks like it should be easy to replace just the clock spring as they are put together with some screws.

Stalk without the clockspring; Lever central (3C9 953 501 BM) - VW Passat -2013 (https://www.varaosahaku.fi/fi-en/Search/Car-parts/VW/VW-PASSAT/2011_2014/Steering-wheel-&-Axle-&-Lever-&-Pedal/Lever-central/All/ID-31426547/OEM-3C9-953-501-BM/)

Yes you're correct - the clockspring now also has the multifunction steering wheel control module integrated, but it is a separate part to the instrument stalks.

iampivot
03-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Looks like there's a VW specific tool needed to get off the bolt that holds the steering wheel. Does anyone know if this one is different for different cars, like the anti-theft wheel bolts?

Umai Naa!!
03-05-2018, 08:53 PM
It's an M12 spline, or triple square from memory.

iampivot
03-05-2018, 09:03 PM
Thx, do you happen to know the torque spec for it when it goes back in again as well?

Umai Naa!!
03-05-2018, 09:31 PM
No.

I just use my best judgement. Usually as tight as I can get it, with a 1/2in dr ratchet.

By the book, you're meant to replace the micro-encapsualted bolt, too.

iampivot
03-05-2018, 09:47 PM
Do they sell those at the VW dealer parts shop?

The micro-encapsulated bolt i mean. I assume it's because it has some loctite on it?

Umai Naa!!
03-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Yes, can be sourced from VW without issue. Whether the dealer has one on the shelf is another thing. Worst case, they can get one in 1-2 days.

iampivot
03-05-2018, 10:37 PM
There's a guy in this video YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nemT6AsiU) that says it can be used five times. But how would you know if the garage has already undone it a few times during service? I guess the garage changes them every time.

kamold
04-05-2018, 06:24 AM
There's a guy in this video YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3nemT6AsiU) that says it can be used five times. But how would you know if the garage has already undone it a few times during service? I guess the garage changes them every time.Normally score the bolt each time then you know when to change it.
Torque is supposed to be 50nm from memory...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

iampivot
02-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Got a new clock spring installed, but the angle sensor seems not to be initialised; getting the 'this seems to be an uninitialised control module; valid WSC/Importer/Equipment data may be required' message in VCDS. I tried using both the current values in the module and using the suggested defaults from VCDS, but it's not working. I seem to be unable to set the WSC code to the values that were on the previous sensor: the input field is greyed out. Is there a trick to doing this programming?

Umai Naa!!
03-06-2018, 12:18 AM
Have you driven it yet?

iampivot
03-06-2018, 12:30 AM
Yes. Should it usually fix itself?

iampivot
07-06-2018, 07:47 PM
It's weird, I can't get the angle sensor working. I can see the angle measurements if I go into 44 Steering Assist and select measurement, but not in 03 ABS brakes. Log file is here; Thursday,07,June,2018,18:03:46:47231 VCDS -- Windows Based VAG/VAS Emulator Run - Pastebin.com (https://pastebin.com/R1wW6zKV)

The new angle sensor seems to be made in 2016 and has an updated hw / sw version relative to my old one from 20123, maybe I need some other modules updated or a different angle sensor?

kamold
08-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Are you following the procedure as documented on the Ross-Tech wiki:

wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/VW_Passat_%283C%29_Brake_Electronics

iampivot
09-06-2018, 01:24 AM
Yes I've tried that, but am getting the "group 060 not available" message. I read somewhere that it might be due to other issues not being resolved though so will try again.

iampivot
09-06-2018, 09:28 PM
I got it going this time, so everything is working again now. I ordered this part; Fit For CC Passat B7 CC 3C Cruise control electronic module 5K0953569T 5K0 953 569 T-in Steering Wheels & Steering Wheel Hubs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-VW-CC-Passat-B7-CC-3C-Cruise-control-electronic-module-5K0953569T-5K0-953-569-T/32315013818.html) The price varies a bit with a sale on every now and then. The part is made in china.

shinjukuthief
24-10-2018, 12:16 PM
Hey all, I thought it better to add to this thread than start a new one. The airbag fault light came on for me last weekend.

I was planning to soon replace the current wheel with one that has DSG paddles, and it seems that even for a mechanical illiterate such as myself that doing the clock spring is not a lot more work once you've got the wheel off. So I don't mind getting the part and doing this myself, the only thing is that I just want to be as sure as possible that it is the cause of the fault.

I've read (perhaps here, perhaps on passatuk forum) that when it's the clock spring often you lose the functionality and illumination of the multi-function steering wheel buttons, and even lose the horn? My MFSW buttons aren't connected at present (a legacy of replacing the head unit - will add a new harness for this when I get around to putting in a reversing camera), however they do illuminate and the horn still works.

Apparently there's some wiring under the (passenger?) seat that if disturbed or a connection is broken that can also set off the airbag fault? Is there a way outside of a workshop of checking what is definitively causing the fault?

Any advice would be super appreciated!

iampivot
24-10-2018, 12:52 PM
If your horn still works, then it might be something else than the clockspring. Try to get a readout of the error codes, it will indicate if it's the clockspring or not.

shinjukuthief
24-10-2018, 01:52 PM
If your horn still works, then it might be something else than the clockspring. Try to get a readout of the error codes, it will indicate if it's the clockspring or not.

Thanks for that! Hmm, whilst I'm going to put her in for the full DSG/Haldex service in the next month or so and they can have a look at it then, it might be time for me to invest in OBDeleven or VCDS (likely the former) to help keep some of the ongoing costs down...

shinjukuthief
05-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Just a quick update on this, got the ol' "side airbag igniter, driver side upper limit exceeded" error, so it looks like I'll have to get in under the seat to get that sorted. Between a copy of the original TSB, various forum posts and how-to's, and Youtube, hopefully I'll have enough information to DIY it.

drobbo
06-02-2019, 07:25 PM
I purchased this Fit For CC Passat B7 CC 3C Cruise control electronic module 5K0953569T 5K0 953 569 T-in Steering Wheels & Steering Wheel Hubs from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group as my 2011 v6 highline Passat showed this was the part needed when I scanned it using obdeleven. I received it and all looks good, part number on the sticker is correct however once I had installed it and looked it up it's showing its 5K0953569AL?????? Does this mean the part had an incorrect sticker on it or do I need to code the correct number into it? Cheers in advance.

iampivot
06-02-2019, 07:35 PM
If you have the part, just try to install it. If it doesn't work, return it. The hardest part of the job is to get the airbag out in any case. You might check that it's got the same connectors as your existing one.

drobbo
07-02-2019, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Installed and it cleared the airbag light. All steering wheel functions now work. Tpms light and ESC light are illuminated now though.

iampivot
07-02-2019, 08:58 PM
That's probably just the steering angle sensor needing learning / adaptation. It's a bit tricky involving driving straight slowly and turning the wheel left and right. I think it was mentioned somewhere here how to do it.

drobbo
09-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Thanks, appreciate your help I'll see how we go.

iampivot
09-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Try this: "With the engine running and the steering wheel in center position, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right first, then all the way to the left, then back to the center and then drive the car forward at no more than 20 MPH. This should turn off the EPC, yellow steering wheel light, and calibrate the steering wheel angle. If this doesn't do it then you will need to calibrate with VAG-COM".

VW Passat Repair: How to replace the Steering Wheel Clockspring on a 2006 VW Passat 2.0T (Part 2). (http://vwpassatrepair.blogspot.com/2011/11/how-to-replace-steering-wheel_20.html)

Edit: do you have access to a vag-com cable?

silverMK1
27-04-2019, 03:31 PM
found this about the different part numbers that might be of some help.

Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions)

I need a new clock spring and just got my airbag recall done, and got them to scan for the part number i needed which was 5K0-953-569-AS
and looking at it its the same as the AL which is cheaper. just checking if anyone knows the actual difference is. Quote from the dealer was: Part $795.30 Labour $239.25. im doing the work myself no problem. i dont have vcds but i do have an icarsoft vag 2 which can reset steering angle. AU$420 (delivered) from the ross-tech site is a bit of cash for one cable.

Hillbilly
27-04-2019, 06:52 PM
found this about the different part numbers that might be of some help.

Steering Wheel Control Module Versions - Ross-Tech Wiki (http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions)

I need a new clock spring and just got my airbag recall done, and got them to scan for the part number i needed which was 5K0-953-569-AS
and looking at it its the same as the AL which is cheaper. just checking if anyone knows the actual difference is. Quote from the dealer was: Part $795.30 Labour $239.25. im doing the work myself no problem. i dont have vcds but i do have an icarsoft vag 2 which can reset steering angle. AU$420 (delivered) from the ross-tech site is a bit of cash for one cable.
Its not just for the cable its for a licenced version of the software without which the cable would be useless and the development work. Yes you can download the software but the cable makes it work and they give free support to licencees. They dont answer you if you borrow a cable and ask for help as I found out

iampivot
27-04-2019, 07:23 PM
If you're at the Sunshine coast then I have a ross tech cable and can help with clearing error codes. I also have the socket adapter for the (M12?) screw that holds the steering wheel in place.

silverMK1
30-04-2019, 10:44 AM
thanks mate ill keep that in mind, i can clear codes myself and reset steering angle too. but definitely limited on what the fault codes say vs vcds.

Eaglehawk
11-06-2020, 07:50 AM
MY13 Passat Alltrack. Clock spring failure. 120K on the odo. $1000 to fix. ($850 on the part, $150 on the labour, quote from a non-dealer mechanic).

Waiting for the dealer to have a look at the car on Monday, and then hopefully submit a good will claim...

sn809
12-06-2020, 12:09 AM
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPPK3ylztcs)
Good guide if you are handy.
Just ensure you get the right part.

iampivot
12-06-2020, 07:56 AM
Concur, it's not a difficult repair. If you find the right part at aliexpress it should be less than $200.

sn809
12-06-2020, 10:23 PM
Concur, it's not a difficult repair. If you find the right part at aliexpress it should be less than $200.

Umm I would probably look at wreckers etc. Too risky for such an important thing via Ali Express but that is just me and putting in my 2 cents not disagreeing with you.

Eaglehawk
15-06-2020, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the advise. Stealers quoted $1100, and no chance of good will because car > 6 years old.

Giving the monies to the local mechanic instead :D