PDA

View Full Version : R36 TPMS with aftermarket wheels - how to disable? or transfer

dannyjak
12-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi guys

Can anyone point me in the right direction to permanently disable TPMS using the vagcom?

Reason, looking to get a new set of rims and
- the OEM black valves dont suit the rim
- the valves will need a larger hole, meaning I have to redrill the valve hole bigger, not keen on this
- removing the sensors on each rim then installing onto the new rim, I am bound to break an o-ring of somesort
- i find the whole system a little pointless anyway, I check my pressures regularly enough

Or happy to hear from other aftermarket wheel owners how theyve managed with the TPMS transfer

Thanks

kamold
12-10-2015, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty sure the TMPS in the R36 is just based on the ABS module sensing wheel speeds, not on sensors in the tyres.
So there is nothing to check or change. When you put your new rims/tyres on just reset the TPMS by holding down the button and it will alert you if it senses a change in pressure (ie rotational speed change based on rolling diameter).

Passat R36
12-10-2015, 10:16 AM
There is a sensor in each wheel.

I have not looked at this but I will if I get the aftermarket wheels. Are you able to turn off/deactivate the TPMS from MFD?

kamold
12-10-2015, 10:22 AM
I sit corrected.

2muchcoffeeman
12-10-2015, 10:31 AM
If the sensors are not actually present in the aftermarket rims, you will be able to disable by pressing the switch on the centre console for approx 15 sec. until you hear a chime and see that they are switched off via the MFD.

dannyjak
12-10-2015, 11:25 AM
Oh didnt know it could be done using the button. Will give it a try. Assume to turn it back on u just hold for 15 secs again?

Umai Naa!!
12-10-2015, 11:37 AM
If you can't fit the sensors into your new wheels, just uncheck the TPMS from the Gateway (Address word 19). Scroll down, and you'll see TPMS in the list of all the modules coded and uncoded to the Gateway. Uncheck it, and confirm it.

Easiest way I've found.

maximumxposure
13-10-2015, 12:06 PM
If the sensors are not actually present in the aftermarket rims, you will be able to disable by pressing the switch on the centre console for approx 15 sec. until you hear a chime and see that they are switched off via the MFD.

Did this and it worked for me when I first fitted my rims. Got an error the next time I started the vehicle but the second time it worked and haven't had the error since.

shakespeare
14-10-2015, 03:18 PM
You can buy them and install them in most aftermarket wheels, I looked into this recently.

NEW Genuine VW Audi Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Sensor 1K0907253D | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genuine-VW-AUDI-OEM-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-Sensor-1K0907253D-/300899147017)

2muchcoffeeman
14-10-2015, 04:54 PM
You can buy them and install them in most aftermarket wheels, I looked into this recently.

NEW Genuine VW Audi Tire Pressure Monitoring System TPMS Sensor 1K0907253D | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Genuine-VW-AUDI-OEM-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-TPMS-Sensor-1K0907253D-/300899147017)

Yes- I did that. NB the ones you have linked to will not work as ours are 433 MHz. Regardless, I had issues with mine and ended up replacing a further 2 sensors and then had to get VW service to recalibrate the system to get it to stop throwing errors. With hindsight, I should just have left them disabled.

shakespeare
14-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Yes- I did that. NB the ones you have linked to will not work as ours are 433 MHz. Regardless, I had issues with mine and ended up replacing a further 2 sensors and then had to get VW service to recalibrate the system to get it to stop throwing errors. With hindsight, I should just have left them disabled.

Thanks, that would explain why they are so cheap! :)

dannyjak
19-10-2015, 09:49 AM
Hi guys - held it down until the message "tyre pressure monitor off" came up and beeped. However the system kicks back in after on my next restart as it says "check tyre pressure"

brad
19-10-2015, 10:49 AM
Hi guys - held it down until the message "tyre pressure monitor off" came up and beeped. However the system kicks back in after on my next restart as it says "check tyre pressure"

post 7 will work

post 8 might be helpful too.