PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Skoda Fabia 77TSI manual EPC warning light ;(

twumau
22-09-2015, 07:43 AM
Dear dubbers,
I recently purchased a written off Skoda Fabia 77TSI manual from a salvage auction with a view to salvaging the undamaged mechanicals for a future project.
The other day I attempted a start up to verify the condition of the motor and its systems.
Not surprisingly I got warning lights for lots of things cos the front airbags had gone off plus the right front wheel got a big hit so the steering light is on and brake and stability control lights, low coolant level etc.
My REAL concern is that the beast won't crank not start and the EPC light is on.................
Is EPC light in a dub the same as "check engine" in a jap car?, is my engine ECU sick/dead?
I'm at a loss to understand this as there was wiring damaged in the bingle but it related to front lights, washer bottle and aircon.
No significant damage on the left front where most of the engine critical electrics seem to be.
I was sure the beast would fire straight up...................:tear:
Any brilliant ideas?
Cheers,
Greg

zei20t
22-09-2015, 10:47 AM
youll need to get someone to plug in their VCDS cable and check the actual errors

I bought a smashed fabia (RS) with lots of error lights on. plugged in my cable, cleared all the faults, disabled the airbag computer and reset the DSG. it now drives fine.

its easier to pay someone a 6 pack of beer to check with the cable than to guess :)

id be happy to help out, but im located in Sydney

twumau
22-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Good clue, thanks!
I was thinking I need a genius with diagnostic gear...........
This morning I rang a skoda dealer and got to speak to a mechanic briefly, described my problem.
He thought that I had a major electronic fault if the EPC light came with the ignition turned on but he reckoned it ought to turn over and should run maybe in limp home mode.
He could not understand why the starter didn't seem to be getting power...........???
I retraced my steps.
The Fabia had a flat battery when it was towed home to my place. I borrowed a charged battery out of my Mirage which was a bit tricky to get hooked up to the Fabia cables because its very different to the huge Fabia battery.
I had to twist the negative cable to get it to reach the battery post.
I double checked I had the battery clamps tight and clean etc.
It was then that I saw the negative cable rotate slightly in the nut that holds it to the body..............
The nut was only done up finger tight!!!!
The act of twisting the negative cable to get it onto a non standard battery must have loosened an already loose nut to the point it would no longer pass much current, just enough to light up the dash.
After I cleaned and tightened the body end of the negative cable the beast started easily YAY!
Because the cooling system is toast I can't risk running the motor more than a few seconds but I did notice the EPC light went out after the engine fired.
So MAYBE I'm OK.
I'll try to get a temporary radiator happening so I can run it longer, make sure it was not a fluke.
OH after shutdown I got a message on the screen........."CHECK DEADLOCK OWNERS MANUAL"
I do have the owners manual but can't find any reference to "DEADLOCK" ????
Cheers,
Greg

youll need to get someone to plug in their VCDS cable and check the actual errors

I bought a smashed fabia (RS) with lots of error lights on. plugged in my cable, cleared all the faults, disabled the airbag computer and reset the DSG. it now drives fine.

its easier to pay someone a 6 pack of beer to check with the cable than to guess :)

id be happy to help out, but im located in Sydney

Snail Style
23-09-2015, 07:16 PM
No I said you need to check power to the starter because even with engine faults it should still crank. :P And looks like I was right.

twumau
24-09-2015, 08:54 AM
Yes that clue about no power to starter was a GEM, got me pointed in the right direction, Thanks dude!:D

No I said you need to check power to the starter because even with engine faults it should still crank. :P And looks like I was right.

Lucas_R
24-09-2015, 01:52 PM
OH after shutdown I got a message on the screen........."CHECK DEADLOCK OWNERS MANUAL"
I do have the owners manual but can't find any reference to "DEADLOCK" ????

Good to hear you got it fired up. As for that deadlock message, it happens every time i turn off my VW Golf - its normal.

twumau
25-09-2015, 07:12 AM
Much obliged;-)

Good to hear you got it fired up. As for that deadlock message, it happens every time i turn off my VW Golf - its normal.