PDA

View Full Version : Mark II suspension

rowan_bris
06-06-2006, 05:47 PM
I have reduced my suspension choices to Eibach Pro System or the equivalent package from Bilstein. Does anyone have an opinion either way or would they both be fine?

In the short term I am going to run this with standard wheels while I find a replacement 15" rim for the ones the car came with. They are LHW I think in 15" by 7". I want to get either BBS 3 piece(only originally drilled for 4 * 100) Simmons V4s or Momo Stars in 15" if I can find some. If anyone has any of these for sale let me know.

thanks

Rowan

Golfwise
06-06-2006, 10:40 PM
I've run Bilsteins with Eibach springs and they were fine.They actually sat low enough too.
Its now super low :lol:

rowan_bris
29-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks for that. Have you, or anyone else, tried the Eibach or Bilstein packages. One of the things that is becoming obvious to me is that the spring to shock matching or perhaps the lack of progressive springs standard leaves the car with a harshness or firmness that I don't want. I have had countless Alfas before where I have been able to get the roll stiffness I want without an awful ride. But when I had my Mark 1, although it handled well on a smooth road, the combination of uprated springs and shocks gave it a terrible ride. I can now feel even with my completely standard set up in the Mark 11 that it is going that way too! I am happy to spend decent money to get the right set up but would prefer not to do it via trial and error.

I thought then that the matched sets might be the way to go, but am just interested in whether anyone has tried them. I don't want to lower the car more than say 30 mm.

Any suggestions?

aliasmk2
29-06-2006, 09:29 PM
i think you will find that the ebach springs are actually made to suit the bilstein shocks, like almost the same company, so therefore should be compatable
i think that the spax springs from the uk are softer than ebach, i've had both on my car
a lot of the bmw people are using locally made king springs in conjunction with bilstein shocks, as a package, it seems to be the way they are being marketed
the king springs are a lot cheaper but i do not know how they compare with the ebach
regards ian

rowan_bris
30-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Thanks Ian. One of the things that I was interested in with the Bilstein package was that I can get it particularly cheaply. I think Eibach used to use Bilstein but now make their own.

syncro
30-06-2006, 09:36 AM
I've driven a Golf 1 with a Bilstein spring/shock kit and it was brilliant.
I've driven a Golf 1 with Bilstein shocks (standard springs) and it was crap.
There is something to be said about a matched set.

rowan_bris
30-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Excellent news - thanks!

RedMk2Gti
30-06-2006, 11:52 AM
the king springs are a lot cheaper but i do not know how they compare with the ebach
regards ian

I've made some enquiry before, King Spring doesn't make spring for Mk2 Golf. They can custom made a set but I imagine it won't be cheap.

tommymac
30-06-2006, 06:28 PM
I've made some enquiry before, King Spring doesn't make spring for Mk2 Golf. They can custom made a set but I imagine it won't be cheap.

dont even bother king are useless ****e get the TUV approved shocks u'll pay more but its worth it i know a bilstein set up coilover that is will cost the best part of 3k on the other hand so will KW depending on if you want dampning and height or just height - im ordering some off a guy on vortex but there b & g or i might strech and go for a set of konis

rowan_bris
30-06-2006, 06:30 PM
Thanks. After having Kings springs and Konis in my last Golf, I want something a bit better thought out anyway!

syncro
30-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks. After having Kings springs and Konis in my last Golf, I want something a bit better thought out anyway!

Where do Kings come from?

rowan_bris
01-07-2006, 06:41 AM
Kings are made on the Gold Coast, or at least they were last time I bought some.

syncro
01-07-2006, 07:36 AM
I wouldn't buy Australian springs.