PDA

View Full Version : MK3 Fabia Mods

jxenos
31-08-2015, 10:47 PM
With deliveries kicking off, I thought I'd start a thread for mods (current and proposed) for our new cars. Mine is due to arrive in October, but this is the shopping list so far:-

Wheels painted in satin black
Black honeycomb vRS wheel centres
Mirror caps in black
Brake Calipers in Skoda Motorsport green
Red section of tail lights tinted
De-badging of rear tailgate
Front window tint to match rear privacy glass
K&N Air Filter
APR 1.2 TSi tune (due around December)

Had a bit of a play tonight and came up with a rough picture of what I want.

So, what has everyone else got planned for their new arrivals?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18572&stc=1http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18573&stc=1

fabiapaul
01-09-2015, 11:14 AM
with your mods are you also looking at an exhaust system? I am wondering about a good system for the 1.2 tsi monte carlo that I have. I dont want it too loud, but better than the standard one? Any ideas and also who are you going to get your remap with?

jxenos
01-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Haven't thought about the exhaust yet - havent heard of anyone doing them for these cars yet.

First choice on the tune is APR, but i saw today that ABT do a secondary ECu is well, so weighing up the options.

fabiapaul
02-09-2015, 02:24 PM
Since my car is new I dont want to mess about too much because of warranty, so I exhaust would probably be the only thing other that air filter until the 3 yrs are done then a remap would be on the cards. Are you going to fully mod up your skoda from brand new?

Lucas_R
02-09-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't think you will find anyone locally selling exhaust for the Fabia - you will almost certainly have to import one from Europe/UK or get one custom made by a reputable exhaust shop. Its not rocket science, so any good exhaust shop will be able to look after you - and will be much cheaper than importing one. You are in Sydney, so you will have plenty of choices for good custom exhausts down there.

Just bear in mind that the 1.2TSI is bound by a very small turbo and small intercooler that is integrated into the inlet manifold - so its not really up to the task of dealing with the extra heat generated by a turbo running more boost. Getting any more than 90-100kw out of the 1.2TSI is a big ask and will call for a bigger turbo and some sort of solution for the intercooler.

jxenos
02-09-2015, 11:14 PM
Since my car is new I dont want to mess about too much because of warranty, so I exhaust would probably be the only thing other that air filter until the 3 yrs are done then a remap would be on the cards. Are you going to fully mod up your skoda from brand new?

Still not sure exactly which way to go - anything that gets done will be relatively minor and reversible just in case.

I don't think you will find anyone locally selling exhaust for the Fabia - you will almost certainly have to import one from Europe/UK or get one custom made by a reputable exhaust shop. Its not rocket science, so any good exhaust shop will be able to look after you - and will be much cheaper than importing one. You are in Sydney, so you will have plenty of choices for good custom exhausts down there.

Just bear in mind that the 1.2TSI is bound by a very small turbo and small intercooler that is integrated into the inlet manifold - so its not really up to the task of dealing with the extra heat generated by a turbo running more boost. Getting any more than 90-100kw out of the 1.2TSI is a big ask and will call for a bigger turbo and some sort of solution for the intercooler.

For what I need, 90-100 is fine - if i wanted anything faster i would have bought a GTI/RS. As the car will be brand new, not really looking to go crazy on it.

fabiapaul
03-09-2015, 09:07 AM
Even with a simple remap, the 1.2 tsi should get to about 90-92 KW from my research and emails to companies. For a little fabia, I believe that is more then enough and as standard it surprises a lot of bigger cars off the lights. Custom exhaust I think might be the way to go Lucas_R. Have to say you and jxenos are the only 2 people who have actually talked with me in the 6 weeks since I joined. Its pretty quiet most of the time.

Lucas_R
03-09-2015, 01:50 PM
For what I need, 90-100 is fine - if i wanted anything faster i would have bought a GTI/RS. As the car will be brand new, not really looking to go crazy on it.

Not a worry - was just making sure you were aware of the limitations of the engine/turbos setup. Some people have unrealistic expectations of how much power they can extract easily/cheaply, so i was just letting you know. Even with the upgrade to 90-100kw it would make for a zippy little wagon.

Even with a simple remap, the 1.2 tsi should get to about 90-92 KW from my research and emails to companies. For a little fabia, I believe that is more then enough and as standard it surprises a lot of bigger cars off the lights. Custom exhaust I think might be the way to go Lucas_R. Have to say you and jxenos are the only 2 people who have actually talked with me in the 6 weeks since I joined. Its pretty quiet most of the time.

The tuner i have used for both my Golf R and Golf GTI have a tune for the 1.2TSI in the Fabia/Polo which takes it from 77kw > 100kw. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f171/2011-tsi-special-dna-tuning-australia-55245.html The only downside for this tuner is that he is based in Melbourne, so if you are in another city its not exactly convenient. I removed my ECU and posted it down to Melb to have it tuned. Turnaround time was 4-5 business days (incl postage time both ways with Express Post). The head office is in the UK so the tuning files are generally delivered overnight, and then John in Melb loads the tune onto your ECU and posts it back.

Otherwise, i believe APR is the only other tuning local company that offers a tune for the 1.2TSI. APR are far more expensive, but their network of dealers make it much more convenient and faster.

This forum is pretty quiet fabiapaul - especially in the Skoda and Audi section. Don't take it personally. There is another forum called Briskoda which is a dedicated Skoda forum which is more active.

jxenos
03-09-2015, 01:54 PM
ABT tuning also do a package but it's approx $2200. The upside to it is that it's a secondary ECU which runs in parallel and can actually be removed to bring it back to stock. So many interesting choices.

Funny how groups like APR have taken so much of the hassle out of these things. Even at around $1000 the extra driveability and torque you get makes it almost a no brainer. We ran the stage 1 tune on dads mk5 gti for 3 years with no issue at all so they're reliable too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brenno
03-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Just be aware there is nothing in common with the old 1.2 tsi in the Mk2 Fabia.

jxenos
03-09-2015, 07:56 PM
They are very similar but the ECUs are definitely different - hence the delay for both the new generation Polo and Fabia.

brenno
03-09-2015, 09:28 PM
It's a completely different motor. There are no similarities.

jxenos
04-09-2015, 12:27 PM
interesting - wonder the reason for the redesign?

Lucas_R
04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
It's a completely different motor. There are no similarities.

Where is the info on the changes to the engine? Why did a 4yr old engine need to be completely redesigned? The only real issues the 1.2 had were timing chain tensioner issues.

brenno
04-09-2015, 03:51 PM
The newer motors are quieter, more efficient, and have better thermal management. 16v heads replace the old 8v lumps. The Polo/Golf/Octavia have had the new engines for a while. Yeti and Rapid are next.

jxenos
05-09-2015, 10:14 PM
On another note, has anyone plastidipped their rims? My current plan is to get them painted at Tempe Tyres in Sydney, but a work colleague suggested going down the Plastidip route as its easy to patch, easy to remove and cheaper. Any thoughts?

meri84
10-09-2015, 12:03 AM
Query regarding the ECU remap.
What are the advantages (other than extra power) and disadvantages. How does it affect the warranty?

fabiapaul
11-09-2015, 03:35 PM
Generally remaps help with more power and torque, and fuel economy. As for warranty, if anything happens to the turbo or engine and they plug it in at the dealer and see the map you pretty much done screwed. Once you start to mess with the ecu and anything like that warranty goes out the window. One of the reasons why i probably wont touch mine until the 3 yrs are up as things like turbos and engines are not cheap here in aus, the UK and Ire tuning is so much cheaper. Custom remaps can be got for between 300-400 pounds oh the good times when vw group cars were as common as holdens are in aus.

jxenos
15-09-2015, 07:19 PM
I've been thinking the same thing and was part of my reason for thinking about the ABT tune but for over $2k it's just too steep. I'll probably leave it a while and go through the options later. I am still interested in the DSG tune though as the remap seems genuinely to be a better option in smoothness and clutch life.

gdbaker
24-10-2015, 06:38 AM
hi,
just wondering if you had changed you filter to k&n yet. was going to order before car arrives. Do you know if its the model 33-3004 with the two holes in filter.
Thanks

jxenos
25-10-2015, 08:37 PM
Just ordered - waiting for it to come in - hopefully this week

jxenos
12-11-2015, 07:24 AM
The filter is still on order - but a few things have been done :-)

* Rims painted gloss black
* Mirror caps and grille in black (with a hint of colour)
* Roof racks -picked up on a VERY generous discount as the car was also used for test fitting and a photshoot

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/35b6b89c7f79fcf3485a39f80c5a92fe-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/5fef4a3d798757c8699cf0216c804716-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/a4ae45541dc36caf8e3f4a19728054f4-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/9435cd5f45de75ec50f50123dd19053d-1.jpg

meri84
14-11-2015, 10:50 PM
That looks fantastic!
Which white is your car?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

jxenos
16-11-2015, 06:44 AM

Moon white metallic

meri84
16-11-2015, 11:20 PM
I have to admit. I'm highly tempted to copy!
Mine will also be moon white.

meri84
20-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Well. Today (my birthday) I received approval for the loan. I should be picking my car up in a couple of days.
To say im very excited is an understatement!

Kesh
07-06-2016, 12:25 AM
Looking to get one soon with the 1% finance offer!! Anyone gone this route? Would love a dsg with the premium sports pack.

Blue103TDIDSG
18-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Not sure if this is in the right thread.... but answering your questions

Looking to get one soon with the 1% finance offer!! Anyone gone this route?
My daughter got a 1.2 DSG Yeti week before last on the 1% deal.
They charge a $750 application fee which they add to the borrowed amount
Then 1% reducible over the 4 years for a total interest of $407 (in her case)
Then divided by 48 months
It worked out that on the amount she borrowed over the 4 years all up to be about 3%
Which is still pretty good but there are charges - $4.50 per payment if you don't use a direct deposit
and a raft of others that don't occur if you pay on time and don't get any extra statements etc

Would love a dsg with the premium sports pack.
They drive very nicely, although the 15-20 minute drive is not much when you look at the big picture
but it was motorway plus suburban and we copped a bit of peak hour traffic too
We ordered a white DSG Premium Sports Pack - just arrived at the dealers holding yard - pick up in about a week
Will be interesting to see how good the Projector lights are .. anyone have experience with these ??
Only thing missing is the gear change "paddles" on the steering wheel...guess you can't have everything

One other thing, still not too sure about using Google maps through the phone though ...... anyone experience with this ??
Dealer showed us with his phone but was in the showroom and not "working" as such
meaning we could see the streets and that but he didn't enter a destination
So didn't hear voice commands or see it actually moving.

Of course these are only minor factors in what seems like a great car

jxenos
16-07-2016, 10:40 PM
..........Will be interesting to see how good the Projector lights are .. anyone have experience with these ??
Only thing missing is the gear change "paddles" on the steering wheel...guess you can't have everything

One other thing, still not too sure about using Google maps through the phone though ...... anyone experience with this ??
Dealer showed us with his phone but was in the showroom and not "working" as such
meaning we could see the streets and that but he didn't enter a destination
So didn't hear voice commands or see it actually moving.

Of course these are only minor factors in what seems like a great car

The headlights are fine I have done quite a bit of highway driving at night and never had an issue at all. Not the brightest (i usually replace the bulbs on my cars pretty quickly), but not inadequate by any means. No need to replace them at this stage.

What phone are you using? I have hooked the CarPlay up to both an iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S7. Google Maps using the Android is FAR superior. Nav is fantastic on it. Google Now on the homescreen is also great - distance to home, weather, audio details etc all come up and are clear. Definitely feels premium.

Nafe75
17-10-2016, 04:08 PM
Jumping on this and hopefully a bit of a bump. We just picked up our Premium Sports Wagon the other day - still less than 150kms on it.
Looking at putting some sort of protector on the rear bumper lip where the hatch is, any recommendations? I was hoping to stick a clear plastic 3M style film on rather than a solid plastic strip. Any recommendations for this?

Also, does anyone have a way to turn off the Automatic Engine stop? Such a pain the butt to have to manually turn it off everytime I jump in the car....... and no auto locking of the doors is annoying as I have it in my Jetta currently.

Mysticality
17-10-2016, 04:35 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/11/5fef4a3d798757c8699cf0216c804716-1.jpg

This car is amazing! I can see why it would have been used for a photoshoot. I absolutely love love the white roof rails! :D

We just picked up our Premium Sports Wagon the other day - still less than 150kms on it.

Looks like its time to change your signature. ;)

Nafe75
18-10-2016, 02:19 PM
Looks like its time to change your signature. ;)

Indeed it was! LOL :banana:

Gucks
19-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Nafe75, do you mind if I ask how much you got the Fabia Wagon for? I'm looking at the exact same model and it would be good to have a rough idea on price for negotiations.

I've had a drive and really like the car, a small wagon that is reasonably zippy and fuel efficient, can't go wrong!

Thanks in advance!

Nafe75
28-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Nafe75, do you mind if I ask how much you got the Fabia Wagon for? I'm looking at the exact same model and it would be good to have a rough idea on price for negotiations.

I've had a drive and really like the car, a small wagon that is reasonably zippy and fuel efficient, can't go wrong!

Thanks in advance!

From memory it was a touch over $25k which included a $900 discount because they could only source a Premium Sports Pack where we only wanted the Sports Pack originally, so they split the $1800 difference due to delayed delivery etc. We also took out the Extended Warranty on the car, but I suspect there's not much margin on that at $999 (unlike VW who tried to sell me one at $2800, discounted from $4000 on my Jetta!). We also had a trade-in, so our cash outlay was around $21k.