PDA

View Full Version : Air intake question

Haydennedyah
22-08-2015, 11:30 PM
Hello,
I have a 2015 1.4 118 twin charged jetta and i am confused with what cold air intake I can purchase for my car as I am not up with the aftermarket seen, can I just go for any 1.4 twin charge kit? As I thought there has been some change in turbo location and suttle other changes.
Your help will be appreciated
Hayden

s4206465
23-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Hey man! I have the APR intake for the 1.4 118 TSI version, it fits perfectly and sounds pretty cool. link is APR - High Performance Development for Audi, VW and Porsche Vehicles. (http://goapr.com.au/products/intake_carbonio_14tsi_twin_au.html). Only con is that for me i have to tighten the intake every once in a while since its only attached on the car through the front two screws and that sometimes can come lose. There is also VMR intake im pretty sure that u can get for the 1.4tsi engine.

Haydennedyah
23-08-2015, 05:48 PM
Nice jetta btw,
got any more pics of the lip spoiler?
also any videos of the sound of the CAI debating apr or VW racing

The_Hawk
23-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I would be very keen to hear what the APR box sounds like. I've got the Forge one for my Golf twincharger.

This is what the Forge Intake sounds like:
ubGSbysyQnQ

Haydennedyah
23-08-2015, 07:05 PM
will the VW racing one bolt straight on or do i need a different pipe?

s4206465
23-08-2015, 11:12 PM
I think any intake for us is all straight on, but u might have to give the distributor a call and double check. It's too dark for me to take a photo but will upload a pic tomorrow. BTW are u just going for the sound with the intake or the better airflow?

The_Hawk
24-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I think any intake for us is all straight on, but u might have to give the distributor a call and double check. It's too dark for me to take a photo but will upload a pic tomorrow. BTW are u just going for the sound with the intake or the better airflow?

But what does the APR unit sound like?
While I love the forge and the sound it makes, it's not exactly subtle. Is the APR any quieter?
I've scared small children in carparks just driving in ;).

Haydennedyah
24-08-2015, 09:22 AM
Yeh if I can get a VWR one from my mate il be doing that I think,
Mainly im going for a nice sound get nice air flow for me is a bonus.

s4206465
24-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Alright guys took a video of the intake sound. It dosen't very loud and not that noticeable when the car isn't actually on the road (moving)but the intake sound is very noticeable (the sound of it getting air, whoosh kinda sound) when you want it to be. Kinda hard for me to get the sound of the car intake unless I have a passenger to take a video for me :/ Also included Photos for the spoiler and the intake from the engine bay.
ZXpYnFzYl84
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/IMG_3182_1-1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/8r97qc4dz/)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/unnamed-1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/ner9aan41/)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/IMG_3185-1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/76konll4f/)

The_Hawk
24-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Alright guys took a video of the intake sound.
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2015/08/IMG_3185-1.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/76konll4f/)

Thanks for that. That sounds pretty good, far more subtle than mine... BUT...

Is that a DSG? Also still the stock tune?

Mine is manual and if I don't give it a bit of clutch it doesn't wind up boost so much and sounds much closer to yours. If I give it some clutch it thinks you're actually going to drive and boosts more.... also the stage 1 builds boost quicker which may be why I get BOV noise.

I'd love to hear them side by side, but sadly you're a little too far away and I'm not going to shell out for the APR box without hearing it first.

s4206465
24-08-2015, 07:29 PM
Yeh mine is DSG and running on stock tune. I will get a video of the sound of the intake when the car is actually moving, it does sound very nice and kind of like a BOV. It's definitely not as aggressive as yours and wont scare kids but enough for them to turn heads. Just have to wait till when woolies close so I can record the sound with out people throwing stuff at me in the underground car park. :banana:

Haydennedyah
24-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Nice Jetta mate,
ive been debating if I want the rear lip spoiler or not,
Im hoping to get the VWR CAI, but apparently because the front end is different I will need a different type hose any suggestions?

s4206465
24-08-2015, 11:07 PM
Thank bud! The rear lip spoiler is very nice on white or light coloured car since it stands out, it's very subtle on a black car but definitely still makes a difference. I'm not too sure about the hose thing, you might have to look at VWGolf forum to see if any one with the TSI engine has the VMR CAI.

Finally got a few video of the intake sound. Here you go guys.

Video #1
g8Ju7H6JP78

Video #2
185_VUKoHVs

Enjoy :)

Haydennedyah
25-08-2015, 07:13 PM
Hey man sounds sick,
Il be getting the APR this week I think managed to get a good price on one,
Though I do have to retro fit it as the newest jetta has a different front

Haydennedyah
25-08-2015, 07:20 PM
Also does anyone know the inner diameter of the hose for the intake? i may need to get some sort of flexible hose to install

s4206465
25-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Yeh the intake sounds pretty sweet when it's actually been put to work. The whole upper front section of the car is different? I have never seen the new face-lifted jetta's engine bay yet but i thought they kept the same upper section and just changed the exterior (lower front). I got no idea what the size of the intake is actually, u should be able to call the guys at APR they should defs have dimensions for it!

Haydennedyah
29-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Installed my Apr intake sounds beast!:) plus GFB diverter valve

ope126
30-08-2015, 08:52 AM

I'd be interested to know your feedback regarding the GFD diverter valve?
I assume you got the GFB DV+ T9355; http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/dv-t9355-suits-late-model-vag-euro-applications-740-by-gfb

Does it make much of a noise? Performance / shift (stays on boost) better now?

The_Hawk
30-08-2015, 10:18 AM
Finally got a few video of the intake sound. Here you go guys.

Awesome, thanks.

It looks like the sound is very similar to the Forge unit (which is not surprising). I'm guessing most of the differences in my video are all about it being manual vs DSG and how the Turbo and Super Charger respond to input. (and the tune ;)).

I go through phases of having it installed and not as sometimes I like the sound, othertimes it annoys me.

I'm also interested in the DV. How was it to install? And how does it feel vs stock?

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 11:03 AM
l4ZUq5x0T1k
This is what APR CAI sounds on my manual jetta.
(sorry about the video its more for sound)

The_Hawk
30-08-2015, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a but of flutter going on in there!

Maybe a little quieter, again not sure if that is the intake or the tune (or even just where the sound is being recorded from).

I've also just ordered the GFB DV :D

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 11:36 AM
The diverter valve doesnt make much noise change, but holds boost nice between shifting, noticable in manuals, not so much in DSG but will make a difference, easyISH install as my turbo is at the front and the diverter valve bolts are a pain to get to so you may have to unbolt surrounding parts. I have not tuned it at all and all the sounds can be heard outside inside and cabin just easier(risky to) to but phone in the engine bay to show you noise when acctually being driven EG low speed, high speed and going up hills, personally i love the sound everything also just feels nicer!

ope126
30-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Awesome, thanks.

It looks like the sound is very similar to the Forge unit (which is not surprising). I'm guessing most of the differences in my video are all about it being manual vs DSG and how the Turbo and Super Charger respond to input. (and the tune ;)).

I go through phases of having it installed and not as sometimes I like the sound, othertimes it annoys me.

I'm also interested in the DV. How was it to install? And how does it feel vs stock?

Here is the install Video; http://www.gfb.com.au/products/blow-off-and-diverter-valves/dv-plus/dv-t9355-suits-late-model-vag-euro-applications-740-by-gfb

Did you order from their site or eBay?

ope126
30-08-2015, 01:10 PM
Cool video mate!

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 01:21 PM
I got it picked up as I work in the trade.
And thanks risky putting my phone in the engine bay I will admit
Im very happy with the set up at the moment.
Question though is there a turbo upgrade on these engines? if so straight bolt on or lots more to it.

tigger73
30-08-2015, 01:58 PM
I don't think there's been much work done in terms of turbo upgrades for these engines. Best bet is to get an ECU tune if you want some more power.

The turbo upgrade is called a 147TSI [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 02:24 PM
hmm thats a shame, yeh I want a ecu flash but warranty will be void straight up, I can get one done which would bring me to 154

tigger73
30-08-2015, 02:40 PM
If you changed the turbo you'd need to flash it anyway as the ECU will need to get reprogrammed to operate with the new turbo. There have been people do turbo upgrade on the 147TSI to take it over 200kwaw. But then you start running into traction issues...

If you want to go for high output you're better off starting with an AWD platform.

You can tune the 118TSI. Most tuners won't push it and keep it "safe" as these motors have a bit of a checkered history (as you no doubt are aware).

If you're worried about your warranty then you're better off spending on cosmetic upgrades. I know one of the guys locally that put a complete kit on his Jetta. This picture was before he started plasti-dipping his wheels a different colour each week...

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2013/03/8540635401_e4cae6ed9d_z-1.jpg

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Most definatly aware haha
Yeh im only aiming for moderate increase at the moment but i sort of want my warranty at the moment
Kit looks awesome but so expensive genuine

The_Hawk
30-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Stage 1 is awesome bang for buck. Anything much more that that and you may as well trade it in on a GTI and start from there.
I ordered the DV direct from their website, didn't even think to look in eBay.

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 05:09 PM
Nah I wouldn't get a gti, as I like the jetta look, once I've had enough warranty il be getting a tune and make it as fast as a gti and stop there

tigger73
30-08-2015, 05:11 PM
You won't be able to get away without voiding your warranty if you want the performance gains - you run the risk of having a warranty claim voided. Just as a side not I think anyone looking at a car that has a lot of peripheral mods around the engine (air intake, DV, etc) will immediately think that the car has been tuned. It's kind of like a red rag to a bull.

Though if you have a good relationship with the service guys you should be OK.... right???

That white Jetta was done by one of the parts guys locally - he got the complete kit in and had it painted/fitted. He also had the 118TSI manual.

Haydennedyah
30-08-2015, 05:55 PM
You won't be able to get away without voiding your warranty if you want the performance gains - you run the risk of having a warranty claim voided. Just as a side not I think anyone looking at a car that has a lot of peripheral mods around the engine (air intake, DV, etc) will immediately think that the car has been tuned. It's kind of like a red rag to a bull.

Though if you have a good relationship with the service guys you should be OK.... right???

That white Jetta was done by one of the parts guys locally - he got the complete kit in and had it painted/fitted. He also had the 118TSI manual.
Yeh I worked for VW so I'm pretty aware, only tuning will be an issue for as it would be put on line then that's when issues will arise.
Il be getting tune after most warranty is done so 3 4 years

The_Hawk
24-10-2015, 10:41 AM
Finally got around to putting in the GFB DV+

This is how it sounds now:

Y9JJmVbcZ7A

Haydennedyah
27-10-2015, 01:54 PM
sounds awesome, has your golf been tuned?
How many Ks on the 118 ?
Edit just saw it is tuned
-
How long have you had it tuned?

The_Hawk
01-11-2015, 07:22 AM
Yeah, APR Stage 1, Been running the tune pretty much since new. It's only don't 25k ish but hasn't missed a beat.
It's also been down the drag strip, the 1000m strip (pretty much topped out at 202 ;) ) and a few race tracks too.

Haydennedyah
02-11-2015, 07:16 AM
Yeah, APR Stage 1, Been running the tune pretty much since new. It's only don't 25k ish but hasn't missed a beat.
It's also been down the drag strip, the 1000m strip (pretty much topped out at 202 ;) ) and a few race tracks too.

Far out i wish my Ks would be that low. My jetta is already 11000, what engine code is your engine?
Thats awesome, i really like this engine, really nice low end torque, so want to tune it but because i do so many ks i dont know if it will have a increased faliure rate.
At the moment though my wheels are costing me haha

donweather
03-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Finally got around to putting in the GFB DV+

This is how it sounds now:

Y9JJmVbcZ7A

Is that stock just with the GFB DV+ and APR Stage 1 or does it have other mods like a CAI?

My Occy RS Stage 1 with GFB DV+ doesn't sound anything like that.

The_Hawk
03-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Yeah, it's the CAI that lets it make all the noise since it's so open vs the heavily baffled stock air box.

pocketpunch
11-01-2016, 10:56 AM
Hey guys I've bought the DV+ too but have been putting off throwing it in as i read people had CELs being thrown up when using the spring that comes with it.
The forums i read that from were pretty old and i bought the revised DV+.
Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Rawcpoppa
12-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Take out the spring. The spring is not needed for it to work just like the stock DV. The spring provides the + aspect but if you encounter CEL's they recommend you just remove it.

pocketpunch
12-01-2016, 03:09 AM
Yeah seems the way to go for now.
Dont have vagcom and I dont fancy riding around with CEL lit up.
I believe the original dv+ had a weaker spring and that made it trigger.

2014 Jetta 118TSi manual.

DV+, RNS-510

Rawcpoppa
12-01-2016, 10:02 AM
The original DV works like the DV+ would without the spring. The trigger for cel is how the DV+ controls the boost with the extra spring installed. It doesn't let off all the boost in an attempt to give better throttle response. Some guys just clear the cel and it never comes on again. Maybe you can find someone with vagcom and try that first before removing the extra spring?

The_Hawk
12-01-2016, 07:36 PM
I've not had any CEL or issues with the DV+ in mine.

pocketpunch
17-01-2016, 02:15 PM
I've not had any CEL or issues with the DV+ in mine.
Are you running the big spring that doesnt vent all the boost? Or just running it as a oem dv?

DV+, RNS-510

The_Hawk
17-01-2016, 07:23 PM
Are you running the big spring that doesnt vent all the boost? Or just running it as a oem dv?

DV+, RNS-510

Form memory there was only one spring in the box, which is the one I'm using.