PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting amarok.

psyone
21-08-2015, 07:15 PM
hey guys, i'm out growing my caddy and thinking of getting a single cab amarok. could you guys please tell me what you like and what you dont like about your amarok ?

bombsquad21
23-08-2015, 09:02 PM
hey guys, i'm out growing my caddy and thinking of getting a single cab amarok. could you guys please tell me what you like and what you dont like about your amarok ?

*my dealer was a 1/10
*the second dealer was a 1/10
*the ute tray back metal is too weak and every single one dents around the handle on the tailgate
*suspicious quality

Now the good stuff,
Super wide body is great for interior space,
Lots of great wheel options,
Tsi is a bargain and would be my first choice for a single cab,
I have done 60'000kms in mine and I still enjoy driving it,

There are other things that are good and bad, PM me!

psyone
24-08-2015, 11:36 PM
the tub doesnt matter as i will be having a tray. will be going with manual 4x4 single cab. i already made a massive mistake going petrol on my caddy, never again !
not sure yet if i'll be going brand new or second hand but if i do go second hand, is there anything i should be paying close attention to ??

Transporter
25-08-2015, 08:12 AM
No problem here with body panels.

I have 2013 very well made dual cab 420TDI auto and I can't fault it. Except the hi beam lights that don't give much light for a highway driving at night, which is easily solved with an addition of driving lights. I've used Hella Rallye 1000. Problem solved.

Though it doesn't apply to OP, since he's getting a try top, those who go for the tub and thinking about the canopy be aware of a poor quality that I see on many (including mine) Chinese made Flexiglass canopy.

psyone
25-08-2015, 09:58 AM
hows does 2l biturbo cope with everyday load? im most likely wont towing anything, but the tray will be fairly loaded with custom toolboxes and heaps of tools. Is there must of performance upgrades that could squeeze more power out of it ? tune, exhaust, bigger turbos, big intercooler (not sure if vw intercools theirs TDI's)

Transporter
25-08-2015, 01:12 PM
The 420NM torque is adequate for city, though I do some highway driving as well, so I've tuned mine, just a stage1 no additional hw.

psyone
25-08-2015, 04:50 PM
hows the auto box? i'm reading few reviews but cant find any solid info on it. is it reliable ? i also will be taking it off roading now and then. would a manual box be better? hows the servicing costs on it?

Transporter
26-08-2015, 09:26 PM
The 8 speed ZF is very reliable and servicing cost is not much different to other A/T. The auto could be better in some off-road situations than manual.

Sherwy
12-06-2018, 11:08 PM
I'm looking at retiring my T5 and getting an Amarok too. I'm leaning towards the V6 option as I do tow occasionally and will definitely be doing some beach work. There is no substitute for power when facing a long climb in soft sand!

How proven are the V6's? Are they the same ones that are in the Touaregs? I know the bi-turbo 2L 4's are well proven but they do concern me a little being highly stressed compared to the V6. I wonder if the fuel consumption would be similar or possibly less in the V6 when towing a big rig or long runs in soft sand.

Love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers,

Sherwy.

Sherwy
15-06-2018, 10:05 PM
Getting serious now, just spent the afternoon at Austral Volkswagen. The EOFY run out deals are pretty good. 53K for the V6 Sportline with 1.8% interest with finance through VFS. My accountant said go for it...... I feel like I'm falling.....

Sherwy
27-06-2018, 07:56 PM
YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg)

Rocket36
29-06-2018, 05:41 PM
I'm waiting for the 2019. It needs a face-lift as well as rear airbags and some more of the tech in other models. To me the current Amarok feels dated.

Sherwy
29-06-2018, 10:30 PM
I picked it up this morning. Wow, goes like a rocket!