PDA

View Full Version : Leaking tailgate R36 wagon

Domatron
03-08-2015, 06:09 PM
Hey all

I just recently got a R36 wagon and shortly after I received I took it for its 1st wash. Much to my annoyance I found that the tail gate leaked! Badly! Fortunately only at the car wash and not in normal rain.

At first I thought it might have a dodgy seal but those were all good so I took it into a VW dealership to get it assessed. They tell me the water is getting in through the 3rd break light on the wing. They then told me that because of the way the wing/tail light assembly is made and fixed to the car is will probably break when removing it to change the light! Seriously?! So they then quoted $2200 to fix the leak because it will need a new wing which will have to be re-sprayed!

I'm going to take the car to a coach works to get a 2nd opinion but I 1st wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem or has had some experience with this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

booba
03-08-2015, 10:10 PM
The taillight on golf mk5 required the entire spoiler to be removed as well however it never needed an entire wing. i reckon they are full of ****.

Domatron
04-08-2015, 11:39 AM
That's what I thought too. They told me some story about how the spoiler was not part of the original design and was an afterthought so it wasn't properly designed to be taken off or some crap...

snerlo
04-08-2015, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I call bull***** too. I think the only way you are going to get a good look at it is to take the spoiler off. I'm no expert but I presume that these are just double sided taped on but I could be wrong. If you take it to a panel beaters they should hopefully be kind enough to fill you in on how to pull it off but I presume it is going to involve some fishing line to try and "cut" the tape away as you scissor action the fishing line between the spoiler and the actual tailgate itself. Good luck with it though. Bad luck!! If you have just recently bought it, there is statutory warranties that you are eligible for unless you bought it privately, in which case, unlucky!

Passat R36
04-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Do you mean the top brake light?

Maybe try to remove the tailgates trim and see if you can pop it out from inside.

I do not expect VW so that stupid even it's a afterthought thing.

Domatron
04-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Thanks snerlo. I think that is what I'll do. Unfortunately it was a private sale

Domatron
04-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Hey Passat R36. That's the one. The top brake light above the rear window. It looks like VW may have done that as well because I noticed the trim that surrounds the window is not clipped back properly. Not sure if it was like that before but I see it every time I look in the rear view mirror and it drives me nuts!

Domatron
08-08-2015, 12:37 PM
Hey all.

Short update.

Took the car to 2 different panel beaters today. 1 pointed out that it looks like the wing and tailgate have been resprayed and the window is not 100% aligned. The other pointed out that the tailgate has most likely been removed because the hinge bolts have been loosened and redone.

I did my own little investigation. I sealed up the 3rd break light with PVC tape then took the car to the wash. Still leaking! Looks like the wing doesn't have to come off though as it is most likely the window that needs to be redone.