PDA

View Full Version : shed clearance, parts everywhere

DVR68U
03-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Hey guys i just thought i would post this up on here incase you guys dont check the classifieds because its always golf stuff and never anything for transporters. but im cleaning out my shed and ive got heaps of 2.5l bits that need to go.
you will find some listed up in the classifieds.

So that this thread is of some use to others is there some things that break more often then not??
i had a lower control ball joint seperate on me the other day at 100 on a bend. that is exciting ill tell you. took me 2 weeks to swap out the whole subframe and change over to power and air con. these should be changed as soon as you here a knocking in the sus.

cheers brenton 0402606402

jets
04-12-2007, 10:01 AM
At what mileage did the ball joint break Brenton?

DVR68U
04-12-2007, 11:42 AM
370000km , i would be changing them ever 250,000 easy part to change. and it make a mess when it breaks and could kill you, i was pretty lucky i guess. i had only had the car for under a month.
cheers brenton

jets
04-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Thats a pretty good life. I remember seeing an old Mercedes that had collapsed with the same thing at an intersection. I felt sorry for the poor guy. I guess it is something that needs to be checked as the mileage builds up.

DVR68U
05-12-2007, 12:13 AM
yeah its a show stopper thats for sure had to get eh van towed back on a tilt tray, i was in the ditch so that made things quite interesting. ( me hanging off the van so it wouldnt roll over etc) prob should be done with the rotor change maybe even pad change if on dirt alot. vw prob recommend at time but i dont have a book.

cheers brenton

jets
05-12-2007, 08:55 AM
I have the books but have never read anything about changing ball joints at a prescribed mileage. What I have done in the past is to jack the vehicle with the wheel hanging just of the ground. Place a lever/crowbar under the tyre & gently lift the wheel up & down while watching for movement at the joint.
Hope this thread helps someone else to avoid a potential disaster.

DVR68U
05-12-2007, 02:22 PM
yeah thats a good tip, yeah i wouldnt recommend ppl try it lol wasnt very fun
cheers brenton