PDA

View Full Version : 2009 R36 Wagon Sunroof exploded overnight while parked in the garage over night

Mr Spitfire
12-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Well I am pissed to say the least 😡

Went in the garage this morning and the sunroof as explode from within the cabin outward, there are shards of glass over the bonnet, roof, windscreen, garage floor and even in the cabin on the front seats console etc WTF 😡

I have just googled this and it seems to be common, and whilst I am reasonably active on forums I have never heard of this...anyone have any ideas

I will get onto the dealership in the morning, but I can just now see what stance VW will take on this...

The car has a full VW service history, I bet this will mean squat...and I can just see it I will have to suck it up and claim on my insurance...

Not happy 😡

kamold
12-07-2015, 12:56 PM
wow that sucks! Surely it's not cold enough here in Aus for it to be a thermal shock event. These things are made for Northern European winters...

Hope you get some joy from your dealer, if not take it up with VWA, then consumer affairs. Clearly not fit for purpose if can spontaneously self-destruct.

The One
12-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Goodluck with it matey, if they decide not to assist I'm not sure there's anything you can do? Since no-one can prove it broke by itself, e.g: how do you prove that something didn't fall from your garage roof and hit the glass? Unlikely I know, but I don't think any consumer affair jargon or anything like that can help you. All the best though. Never heard of this as a common issue...

Polo GTEye N9
12-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Check out the ACCC website they offer suggestions on how to go about these Good Will matters, when out of warranty. I have used there templates to formally put my case with success at times. Try VWA for good will?

LukePolo
13-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Hey! I just want to throw my 2 cents in there. I work for a window and door manufacturer and come across this sort of glass breakage day in day out.

What causes it is the expansion and retraction of the glass due to fluctuating temperatures. I agree with you that it shouldn't have happened, but all it takes is a bad seal, excess vibrations and a sudden increase or decrease in temperature, and bang...

Good thing with toughened glass though is that you can tell if there was an impact, having a brief look at your picture, there is no impact to the glass. Also if someone where to hit it, it would have shattered inwards, and not outwards ontop of that, the glass looks different as per the trauma.

Just saying, i think you might have a goodwill case on your hands.

Note also that the insurance company will not replace your glass with VW Glass, it will be AS approved glass from China and be of questionable but passable to Aus Standards quality...

Hope you get sorted.
Luke :)

Caddyman
13-07-2015, 01:21 PM
Did you have your sunroof Tinted?

Lucas_R
13-07-2015, 01:34 PM
Note also that the insurance company will not replace your glass with VW Glass, it will be AS approved glass from China and be of questionable but passable to Aus Standards quality...

Interesting info on auto glass Luke. Regarding your comment above - i recently had the windscreen in my Mk6 GTI Golf replaced as it was cracked, and O'briens used an "AS approved" glass.

Had nothing but problems with the 1st one, glass was visibly warped and therefore caused the wipers to shudder. Glass was also not clear (looks cloudy or foggy) and despite a clay bar / razor blade / polish etc it will not improve. To top it off, windscreen would leak whenever it rained or i washed the car.

Got it replaced, O'briens said glass was out of spec due to the warping. They used another windscreen of the same brand. All problems are solved except for the cloudy glass which is annoying.

The cloudyness would not bother me on a sunroof, but on the windscreen its annoying.

LukePolo
13-07-2015, 01:54 PM
Interesting info on auto glass Luke. Regarding your comment above - i recently had the windscreen in my Mk6 GTI Golf replaced as it was cracked, and O'briens used an "AS approved" glass.

Had nothing but problems with the 1st one, glass was visibly warped and therefore caused the wipers to shudder. Glass was also not clear (looks cloudy or foggy) and despite a clay bar / razor blade / polish etc it will not improve. To top it off, windscreen would leak whenever it rained or i washed the car.

Got it replaced, O'briens said glass was out of spec due to the warping. They used another windscreen of the same brand. All problems are solved except for the cloudy glass which is annoying.

The cloudyness would not bother me on a sunroof, but on the windscreen its annoying.

Windscreens are made of whats called laminated glass (as ya'll probably know) Laminated glass is made up of two bits of annealed glass stuck to a PVC layering which is what holds the glass together when it smashes

What happens is what that AS approved glass made in China or where ever, the glass attached to the EVA or PVB layering is thinner and when it is melted and formed in factory through the rollers and moulds, you'll find more imperfections and potentially waves/warping in the glass or blurryness.

On a sunroof, the glass is not laminated, it's the same as the glass in the doors of the car which is called toughened, tempered or grade A safety glass. Laminated glass is not required in car doors or sunroofs.

Difference is there is no layering in between two pieces of glass and it is cooked differently in the factory. Toughened is a safety glass because of how it breaks, it is the same as a shower screen. It will break into granule type pieces instead of big shards like float glass or into the spider web formation like laminated glass.

Mr Spitfire
13-07-2015, 06:35 PM
Did a little more digging and it seems that the temperature difference between the inside of the cabin and outside the vehicle and the type of OEM glass used is the culprit,

My R36 is a one owner vehicle and has a VW FSH, and is totally stock, the only thing I had done was window tint 6 years ago...the sunroof has no tint, and she has had a very easy life...

I will have the good wife load a couple of pics which will clearly show how the sunroof has been blown outwards from within the cabin,

It will go into the dealership tomorrow morning for assessment, and I will push for a goodwill warranty replacement...somehow I think I have more chance on leading the next mission to Mars..

Umai Naa!!
13-07-2015, 09:23 PM
If you've owned it since new, with full dealer history, you should be ok. Kick up a stink if necessary.

As with all goodwill attempts, never expect to get the whole job covered. But do insist it gets a good vacuum.

Mr Spitfire
13-07-2015, 10:07 PM
Yes one owner purchased new with full VW dealer service history...

snerlo
14-07-2015, 10:18 AM
That's really crap mate. I feel for you. Might have to keep an eye on mine now!!

Mr Spitfire
18-07-2015, 04:34 PM
Just an update, VW Australia have pretty much told me to jump off a cliff...I will have to claim on my windscreen option with my insurance company...quote from my VW dealership is $1730 for a genuine sunroof including all labour and GST...which is a lot less than what I was anticipating to be honest,

The other unknown is that the sunroof can only be tested on the mechanical side after it has been installed...who knows the mechanism could be cactus...just have to wait and see,

Seems a one owner vehicle with a full VW dealer service history doesn't count for much these days...

Mr Spitfire
18-07-2015, 04:35 PM
And I might add I will never buy another VW product again...

XXX-1.8T
20-07-2015, 09:51 AM
Thats is BS threaten them with I have booked a meeting with ACA.

Watch them change their tune.

booba
20-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Seeing it from VW point of view, you could have broken it as well, i rock could have damaged it etc etc.

Also, ACA is a joke.

LukePolo
20-07-2015, 10:06 AM
Seeing it from VW point of view, you could have broken it as well, i rock could have damaged it etc etc.

Also, ACA is a joke.

Breaking it yourself, you would see an impact mark - it is evident that an impact hasn't occurred.

As well as the glass exploding from the internal side of the car indicates there there was a fault with the glass or surrounds.

booba
20-07-2015, 10:24 AM
I don't know then. you are out of warranty so SOL i guess. Take it to ACA.

Breaking it yourself, you would see an impact mark - it is evident that an impact hasn't occurred.

As well as the glass exploding from the internal side of the car indicates there there was a fault with the glass or surrounds.

XXX-1.8T
20-07-2015, 10:28 AM
ACA is a joke.

But any bad publicity for VWA would be an issue for them.

Also you can see it is a internal explosion not one where throwing a rock would cause this crack

Lucas_R
20-07-2015, 01:56 PM
Seems a one owner vehicle with a full VW dealer service history doesn't count for much these days...

Unfortunately the reality is that these are the joys of buying a 2nd hand car. Although, truth be told - even if the car was newer and under its "new car warranty", it would be interesting to see if VW would accept this as a warranty repair or not.

ope126
02-08-2015, 01:23 PM
Any update on the outcome?

Hillbilly
02-08-2015, 03:58 PM
Just as an aside I was on a VW forum the other day and there was an instance of this happening overseas so maybe it is a bit more widespread than just Australia. Here it is In TEXAS

2015 Passat sunroof explodes while driving (http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b7-discussion/463490-2015-passat-sunroof-explodes-while-driving.html)

Mr Spitfire
13-08-2015, 08:59 PM
Sorry folks been super busy with work and family,

Car has been repaired and all is good, had to claim on insurance, repair bill was $1715

I have decided to sell, it's a super car but time for a change...looking at a convertible for wind in the hair stuff...while I still have it